Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Determination versus Free Will

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 6 years ago by badboy00z.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you believe, as this writer does, that everything is determined, how does this apply to lotto?

Determination is false, but I had to choose this! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I don't believe everything is determined [ 11 ]  [47.83%]
Free will, also believe I'll never hit jackpot [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
This is a stupid philosophy question [ 4 ]  [17.39%]
This is a smart philosophy question [ 2 ]  [8.70%]
Come again? [ 6 ]  [26.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 23 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
TeAl*888's avatar - octa feathers.jpg
Ontario
Canada
Member #97475
September 17, 2010
69 Posts
Posted: October 3, 2010, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

But in a quantum world, the quantum event is a will independent event. Sometimes universes just happen Disapprove, now and then (whatever now and then means) they pop into existence Lurkingand sometimes they don't. And therefore and thereby, in a quantum world the answer is both no and yes Thumbs Up (no? What?)

What if we were able to see beyond Time/Space?

We are bound by Time/Space and therefore can't know the futrue..

..I don't think we'd have this conversation if we were 4D beings!

I wonder what you'd see if you were a 4D being..Hippy

..see the wheels go round and round..perhaps Smiley

Fractal

" Truth is a Pathless Land " Krishnamurti

OwlCreekBridge's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
    lottoville
    United States
    Member #95474
    August 11, 2010
    132 Posts
    Posted: October 4, 2010, 12:31 am - IP Logged

You seem to disclaim any import for 1st person vs 3rd person difference, and yet you privilege just this position in your first paragraph.

"I'm going out ... and assume he..." Bash.

You cannot take away in one hand what you give in another when you argue philosophically: that is to say, contradiction leads no where in matters philosophicalSulk Off

Note: I am not a philosopher, but in deference to philosophy, a field which tries to teach us how to get our thoughts right, I welcome dialogue Argue

You missed the point completely, the problem with this dichotomy is substance ontology, that in this case,  something you can never doubt is as Descartes puts it is you are a "thinking thing." Nothing can exist independently on its own including, Descartes's cogito. 

You didn't even address the problem in the lack of moral foundation which is inherent of solipsism.

"philosophy, a field which tries to teach us how to get our thoughts right"

have you ever looked up the word philosophy? philosophy comes from the Greek word philosophia which literally means "love of wisdom" That is what philosophy really is not "a field to which tries to teach us how to get our thoughts right"

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
      Kunming
      China
      Member #57910
      January 23, 2008
      3626 Posts
      Posted: October 4, 2010, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I believe that we have destiny. I think that we also have free will but it is limited. We are allowed to do certain things until it interferes with our destiny. I know it sounds like a contradiction. Why would innocent children die? Why would a murderer win the lottery? Why do mothers who are drug addicts have healthy babies while those that watch every step of the pregnancy have sick babies. I believe that there is a bigger picture and we just are not that advance (as a race)to know it. We are lead to believe that we have free will but I don't think we have total free will. My personal belief is that it is destiny. It is written somewhere. Who knows?

Play to win!

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
        light on my feet
        United States
        Member #356
        May 20, 2002
        2744 Posts
        Posted: October 4, 2010, 3:23 am - IP Logged

I believe that we have destiny. I think that we also have free will but it is limited. We are allowed to do certain things until it interferes with our destiny. I know it sounds like a contradiction. Why would innocent children die? Why would a murderer win the lottery? Why do mothers who are drug addicts have healthy babies while those that watch every step of the pregnancy have sick babies. I believe that there is a bigger picture and we just are not that advance (as a race)to know it. We are lead to believe that we have free will but I don't think we have total free will. My personal belief is that it is destiny. It is written somewhere. Who knows?

not such a generic blind folded dartboard possibility,  and a little more deeper and personal.

hints at a possible design,   instead of accident / happenstance.

i like that. 

i like it because it challenges a man way beyond a guess,  and i value my life far beyond just a "guess"...

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: October 4, 2010, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

But in a quantum world, the quantum event is a will independent event. Sometimes universes just happen Disapprove, now and then (whatever now and then means) they pop into existence Lurkingand sometimes they don't. And therefore and thereby, in a quantum world the answer is both no and yes Thumbs Up (no? What?)

Yes, I agree.  Well put.   It is not deterministic or free will, it is both (and all).

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
            Member #81843
            October 31, 2009
            856 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2010, 2:09 am - IP Logged

If the doorbell rings and no one is in the room but you, you still have the choice to answer it. Someone was determined to ring it but that does not mean you have to answer it. You determine your response.

If you want to take a pee, you will do easily what used to take much more conscience effort to get up and go. If you are an old woman then you can just go and let determination run down your leg.

You take for granted all the conscience steps you learned and reinforced by example to do many tasks. For others, what you take for granted is a major task. All the steps to get up and go are almost automatic, but you still see in your mind’s eye all the steps it takes to navigate and get the thing done. Step by step. You take for granted what once took undivided attention and great focus. It is called believing. Action is what is required to get to the destination or it’s running down your leg.

If you can apply the visualization of one task, you can do any other that is possible to do. Every day there are countless examples where people apply this for short-term and long-term goals. The very thought of getting up in the morning precedes the action. If the room is cold, it takes a little more conviction.

Your every conscience action begins in a thought, a picture in your mind.

If you needed to be someplace and your car broke down, could you think of alternative ways to get there? Could you see yourself doing it? You likely would if you had to and against the friction of circumstances. (See Todd’s challenge and dynamic solution to upgrading the site.)

That’s the key- you see yourself doing it before physical action. Have you ever stopped to think how you would do something, then get an idea of how to do it? The answer was in a picture in your mind.

A batter sees the ball and swings at a ball he knows he can hit. He may have visualized putting it over the wall in a particular area. He may have heard the crack of the bat in his mind’s ear. If he was determined and focused on his task with believing, he is a champion. All his skills are in action and he is adept for the task, but he still has to see himself meeting the ball with the bat.

That is the basics of believing. A thought becomes a physical reality following action. The thought is the first action. In that thought you have confidence the task can be done. The thought needs to become a reality in the physical world. Some batters are better than others though all apply the skill of believing action in the game. If you don’t think the task can be done or you doubt or see yourself failing, that is believing too, hence “Chance favors the prepared mind”. How do you prepare yourself for the task? Why should you be surprised if you put one over the wall?

Now I have to pee. Let’s see, what do I have to do first, or should I just let go?

AHHHH.

DD

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: October 6, 2010, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Rergarding destiny, fate, kismet, or whatever you like to call it, on Inside Edition today they interviewed the female prison guard who won the $54 million.

They said she meant to buy a Powerball ticket but bought a Mega Millions by mistake.

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                Member #65961
                October 11, 2008
                162 Posts
                Posted: October 7, 2010, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

There aren't enough choices in this poll. what about these?

I believe in Determination and I think I'm destined to win big some day

or

I believe in Determination and I think it is my fate to never win big but spending $4 a week on lotto tickets is cheaper than going to the movies and it's alot more entertaining.

Read this article http://www.lotterypost.com/news/221072

It's about Garina Fearon, a prison guard who won 54 million dollars as a result of buying the WRONG ticket. She meant to play Powerball not Mega Millions.

You tell me if you think this big win was the result of her free will or it was her destiny (predetermined).

There really are not enough choices....

Nonetheless,

I do believe that free will and predestination coexist.

CA
                  United States
                  Member #84266
                  December 26, 2009
                  410 Posts
                  Posted: October 8, 2010, 4:53 am - IP Logged

Maybe the people who has won the lottery were destined to win it?