Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lotto Expectations

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What prize are you expecting to win when you play?

JACKPOT all the way! [ 23 ]  [47.92%]
A 4 Spot (JP games) [ 5 ]  [10.42%]
At least a 3 Spot (JP games) [ 2 ]  [4.17%]
A Pick 3 Straight [ 9 ]  [18.75%]
A Pick 3 Box [ 3 ]  [6.25%]
A Pick 4 Straight [ 1 ]  [2.08%]
A Pick 4 Box [ 1 ]  [2.08%]
Nothing! [ 4 ]  [8.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
7713 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2011, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

I love helping people out with their numbers and systems...but.....most of us have very high expectations when it comes to lottery goals and winnings.

I'm all for dreaming big...but...(there's always a "but", right, psychomo? lol) on the other hand can we "realistically" expect to win a Pick 3 Straight every couple of days? Or a Powerball jackpot with $1.00 quick pick? Yes, I'm sure it's been done but for most of us we're lucky to hit a 3 spot in the PB or a box in the P3 every once in a great long while

We all want to win the lottery,period. But when you fill out your playslip every day or week after all your workouts and figures and "sure thing can't miss" numbers....what are you "expecting" to win? And, in reality, what do you REALLY win?

I hate people to be disappointed but when you expect too much, aren't you just setting yourself up? Why do that to yourself? My favorite thing to do is to let my tickets build up and then once a month (can anyone else wait that long,lol) go to the store and check my tickets on the scanner. Kind of like that chicken cooker..."fix it and forget it." Buy your tickets and go about your business...forget about them....

And let your disappointment (or hopefully,joyful expectation!) come once a month or every 2 weeks instead of instantly when the numbers are drawn. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2011, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Jackpot all the way.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2011, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

I chose P-3 straight, even though I should've picked P-3 box.

I've said this a thousand times and I will say it another thousand times. Like you say, it's nice to dream, but the reality is that if someone can't beat the P-3 straight on a regular basis which is only 1000 to 1, how in the world is someone going to beat a JP game odds once? Florida Fantasy Five is about 376,000 to 1 odds, 376 times harder than the P-3 straight. And that's a low ball estimate of easier JP games. If you want to talk about big games, you might as well just dream the numbers with a psychic ability which is totally plausible, and may be the only possible strategy. But that's another story.

The reality is that 98% of the people who play the JP games will NOT win the JP in their lifetime. That's a fact !

You have to crawl before you walk, plain and simple.

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7713 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2011, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  TOTALLY!

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2011, 12:20 am - IP Logged

I have a friend at work who firmly believes he will win the PB. Even after extensive explanations of the astronomical odds of 1 in 195 million, I don't believe he gets it. So what i did was to give him a different perspective of how big 195 million really is. I did the research which showed that one cup of sand equaled about 3 million grains of sand, and based on my findings it turns out that 65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand. I presented him with this, and asked him to pick one grain of sand and color it red. Put the red grain back in the bag, shake it well, blindfold yourself, and pick that one red grain out of the bag full of 65 cups of sand. That's what it would take to beat the odds.

Even to this day, despite the overwhelming facts, he still believes he has a realistic shot. Oh well.....I hope he does win. He's the kind of person that i feel is deserving of such a windfall.

Artemis's avatar - Alice
            New England
            United States
            Member #100508
            November 13, 2010
            96 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2011, 3:37 am - IP Logged

I love helping people out with their numbers and systems...but.....most of us have very high expectations when it comes to lottery goals and winnings.

I'm all for dreaming big...but...(there's always a "but", right, psychomo? lol) on the other hand can we "realistically" expect to win a Pick 3 Straight every couple of days? Or a Powerball jackpot with $1.00 quick pick? Yes, I'm sure it's been done but for most of us we're lucky to hit a 3 spot in the PB or a box in the P3 every once in a great long while

We all want to win the lottery,period. But when you fill out your playslip every day or week after all your workouts and figures and "sure thing can't miss" numbers....what are you "expecting" to win? And, in reality, what do you REALLY win?

I hate people to be disappointed but when you expect too much, aren't you just setting yourself up? Why do that to yourself? My favorite thing to do is to let my tickets build up and then once a month (can anyone else wait that long,lol) go to the store and check my tickets on the scanner. Kind of like that chicken cooker..."fix it and forget it." Buy your tickets and go about your business...forget about them....

And let your disappointment (or hopefully,joyful expectation!) come once a month or every 2 weeks instead of instantly when the numbers are drawn. 

Thanks for posting this.

Saving up tickets, and then checking them in bulk sounds like a good idea (though I can't wait a whole month, so it will have to be once a week lol)

I usually check as soon as the winning numbers are posted, but this sounds like a much better idea. Gives us more time to dream big! Hurray!

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
              LAS VEGAS
              United States
              Member #47729
              November 22, 2006
              4581 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2011, 4:51 am - IP Logged

Nothing defines human nature better than their willingness to do irrational things in the pursuit of a phenomenall & quite fantastical payoff.                                                                                                                                                                                     This is the principle behind lotteries, dating, and religion.

May the great godess of fortune smile on your efforts

EddessaKnight Sun Smiley

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3315 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2011, 6:12 am - IP Logged

hey my odds are in th range of 4 in 8 mill, and i am still disappointed ea night i dont see a jackpot win.

thats lead to a lot of disappointed nightsover the last 20 odd years.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  41926 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2011, 8:10 am - IP Logged

I play my pick 3 boxed, once in awhile I get a favorite number and I'll play it str8.

HyperBe Happy.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5744 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2011, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Well......

I like the on line games because I like the anticipation of the drawing. But....(there's that but), waiting a whole month to check my tics????

I don't think so. LOL. I'm checking them as soon as the numbers are posted, and if they're late posting, I'm annoyed. LOL.

I know it's unrealistic, but I expect to at least win the minimum prize on a jackpot game. Last night I played 2 lines on Tx Lotto, (6/54) and got 3 numbers but 2 were on one line and 1 one the other. That was a little disappointing.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10389 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2011, 10:34 am - IP Logged

When I play I'm hoping to win a jackpot.

But since experience is always the best teacher I'm not expecting to win anything.

I think we can also say that many jackpot game players don't even play the Pick 3.

Experience with the Pick 3 has taught me that no matter the method of number selection I'll miss by one digit.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2011, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I have a friend at work who firmly believes he will win the PB. Even after extensive explanations of the astronomical odds of 1 in 195 million, I don't believe he gets it. So what i did was to give him a different perspective of how big 195 million really is. I did the research which showed that one cup of sand equaled about 3 million grains of sand, and based on my findings it turns out that 65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand. I presented him with this, and asked him to pick one grain of sand and color it red. Put the red grain back in the bag, shake it well, blindfold yourself, and pick that one red grain out of the bag full of 65 cups of sand. That's what it would take to beat the odds.

Even to this day, despite the overwhelming facts, he still believes he has a realistic shot. Oh well.....I hope he does win. He's the kind of person that i feel is deserving of such a windfall.

"65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand."

Those are rocks. Just sayin'. Clown

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: January 20, 2011, 10:48 am - IP Logged

"65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand."

Those are rocks. Just sayin'. Clown

Ha ha...oops, I meant to write 195 million grains of sand.....lol

Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #93503
                            July 1, 2010
                            453 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2011, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

I said pick 4 straight, seeing as it be nice to hit at least that every once in awhile.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2011, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Jackpot Baby!!!!!!!Wink