Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Lotto Expectations

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 6 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What prize are you expecting to win when you play?

JACKPOT all the way! [ 23 ]  [47.92%]
A 4 Spot (JP games) [ 5 ]  [10.42%]
At least a 3 Spot (JP games) [ 2 ]  [4.17%]
A Pick 3 Straight [ 9 ]  [18.75%]
A Pick 3 Box [ 3 ]  [6.25%]
A Pick 4 Straight [ 1 ]  [2.08%]
A Pick 4 Box [ 1 ]  [2.08%]
Nothing! [ 4 ]  [8.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
Denver, Co
United States
Member #103046
December 29, 2010
546 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2011, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend at work who firmly believes he will win the PB. Even after extensive explanations of the astronomical odds of 1 in 195 million, I don't believe he gets it. So what i did was to give him a different perspective of how big 195 million really is. I did the research which showed that one cup of sand equaled about 3 million grains of sand, and based on my findings it turns out that 65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand. I presented him with this, and asked him to pick one grain of sand and color it red. Put the red grain back in the bag, shake it well, blindfold yourself, and pick that one red grain out of the bag full of 65 cups of sand. That's what it would take to beat the odds.

Even to this day, despite the overwhelming facts, he still believes he has a realistic shot. Oh well.....I hope he does win. He's the kind of person that i feel is deserving of such a windfall.

Wow, that about ruined my day.

I'm buying tix anyway, just in case I spot that darned little red grain of sand Banana

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
    Dallas, Texas
    United States
    Member #4549
    May 2, 2004
    1736 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2011, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

In my thinking, most people throw away $2 to $3 on something they don't need. I do. I bought a new memory stick at Christmas to put my lottery files on. It is still in the original package.

Of course, I'm weird. I play with change saved in a spittoon. If the spittoon is empty, I don't play. And I only play serious at certain times of the year when the mood strikes.

Stranger things have happened than someone plunking a buck down and waking up with $10 million.

I'm in to win. Or why play?

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
      Norfolk , Va
      United States
      Member #4541
      May 2, 2004
      25100 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2011, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I checked pick 3 straight .   I do get it once in a while and enough to stay in the game .

I play in a pool out of where I work and last night we had 127.00 in tickets .  We didn't even get the powerball number . I'll be happy if we ever win but with plays like that , I don't expect to win that one.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
        Texas
        United States
        Member #92330
        June 5, 2010
        887 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:43 am - IP Logged

When I play I'm hoping to win a jackpot.

But since experience is always the best teacher I'm not expecting to win anything.

I think we can also say that many jackpot game players don't even play the Pick 3.

Experience with the Pick 3 has taught me that no matter the method of number selection I'll miss by one digit.

Same here. I expect to maybe win $2-$3 and nothing more, but I always hope I win either the jackpot or at least one of the other top prizes.

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7712 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2011, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Same here. I expect to maybe win $2-$3 and nothing more, but I always hope I win either the jackpot or at least one of the other top prizes.

I really like what you said here....you expect  to win $2-$3 but you hope  to win the jackpot. Big difference between those words. Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking,lol.

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2011, 11:09 am - IP Logged

When I play I'm hoping to win a jackpot.

But since experience is always the best teacher I'm not expecting to win anything.

I think we can also say that many jackpot game players don't even play the Pick 3.

Experience with the Pick 3 has taught me that no matter the method of number selection I'll miss by one digit.

Coin Toss, I just noticed you said it too. Perfect! I guess I worry more about the people who expect to win a jackpot. Hoping to win one is just human nature.

Mink404Ski's avatar - prismm zpspm2ze8wf.gif
              Watervliet, New York
              United States
              Member #1100
              February 2, 2003
              3193 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2011, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss, I just noticed you said it too. Perfect! I guess I worry more about the people who expect to win a jackpot. Hoping to win one is just human nature.

lottolaughs,

During my 30plus year journey here in the NY Lottery I have done so... so hit the 3 digit Str8 quite a few times, hit the 4 digit game once Str8 in 2005 right on the front page of NY Lotto Stats magazine thanks Roy, and have hit every variation of the Win 4 game no match, doubles, double doubles and triples but not a quad, I have hit 4 of 5 in Take 5 three times but hopefully that will change real soon and big lotto games I have only hit a few 3 of 5 that is pretty much it.  But the Take 5 is gonna be my bread and butter game I am taking a break from the 3-4 digit games for a few months and try to hit the 5 of 5 in Take 5 wish me luck!  Good Luck to All LP players!  Thumbs Up

MINK

"Bet with your head..... not over it!" 

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend at work who firmly believes he will win the PB. Even after extensive explanations of the astronomical odds of 1 in 195 million, I don't believe he gets it. So what i did was to give him a different perspective of how big 195 million really is. I did the research which showed that one cup of sand equaled about 3 million grains of sand, and based on my findings it turns out that 65 cups of sand in a bag would equal 195 grains of sand. I presented him with this, and asked him to pick one grain of sand and color it red. Put the red grain back in the bag, shake it well, blindfold yourself, and pick that one red grain out of the bag full of 65 cups of sand. That's what it would take to beat the odds.

Even to this day, despite the overwhelming facts, he still believes he has a realistic shot. Oh well.....I hope he does win. He's the kind of person that i feel is deserving of such a windfall.

I live in reality so it's nice to dream!

Joker why didn't you just tell him YOU were gonna win?

Most of the people I know that play don't see the odds or think about the odds. All they see is that someone won and they want to win too.

I would rather see people like your friend at works attitude than people that play with the attitude of I never win.

Just get me thru this so called life......

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2011, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I live in reality so it's nice to dream!

Most of the people I know that play don't see the odds or think about the odds. All they see is that someone won and they want to win too.

I would rather see people like your friend at works attitude than people that play with the attitude of I never win.

My whole purpose was to show how unlikely it is to win. Talk about reality.

That's right. I hear it all the time. Someone wins most of the time, but what they don't throw into their calculation is how many millions of tickets were losers, in order for that one winning ticket.

The lottery can't be won dependant on how the bettor is feeling at the moment. Emotions don't determine the outcome. Yes, positive thoughts are always a good thing in the Universal sense, but the true reality is the odds. 195 million to one is not realistic in any form.

But I have to say that I'm inspired by your positive attitude. I've strayed away from fairytale feelings. they used to be an integral part of my life, but as i grew older i wised up. Life isn't a bowl of cherries unless your worth at least 3 million. Then i realized that my health was more important than all the money in the world. You could have 3 BILLION in the bank, but if you're laying down in a hospital bed, all the money in the world will do you no good.

My friend at work has a good heart. Despite his ignorance dealing with the odds, In the long run...who knows?.....maybe his type win more often because they manifest positve thoughts into reality. Afterall, everything starts with a thought.

Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2011, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

HAHA I got that! LOL I copy your text and now my text changes : )

Some people just don't get it and I can just imagine you explaining away like a hot chili pepper!!!!!

I threw the tell him YOU were gonna win so ya could get a HUH?????? out of him.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                      Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #49980
                      February 21, 2007
                      34165 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2011, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Jackpot or any one the games!!   As long as I win!!  these games aren't going anywhere.

If you don't win try and try untill you succeed!!

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                        Florida
                        United States
                        Member #104435
                        January 14, 2011
                        2244 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

So your saying there is a chance ...

Banana

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #102882
                          December 27, 2010
                          334 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2011, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Banana

I firmly believe I have a better chance at PB than Pick 3 or Cash 4

United States
                            Member #75358
                            June 1, 2009
                            5345 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2011, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Banana

Reminds me of a movie.....lol

Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2011, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

That's right. I hear it all the time. Someone wins most of the time, but what they don't throw into their calculation is how many millions of tickets were losers, in order for that one winning ticket.

The lottery can't be won dependant on how the bettor is feeling at the moment. Emotions don't determine the outcome. Yes, positive thoughts are always a good thing in the Universal sense, but the true reality is the odds. 195 million to one is not realistic in any form.

But I have to say that I'm inspired by your positive attitude. I've strayed away from fairytale feelings. they used to be an integral part of my life, but as i grew older i wised up. Life isn't a bowl of cherries unless your worth at least 3 million. Then i realized that my health was more important than all the money in the world. You could have 3 BILLION in the bank, but if you're laying down in a hospital bed, all the money in the world will do you no good.

My friend at work has a good heart. Despite his ignorance dealing with the odds, In the long run...who knows?.....maybe his type win more often because they manifest positve thoughts into reality. Afterall, everything starts with a thought.

OK back to this post.....

Maybe he refuses to believe he can't win or doesn't want to believe he can't win. Maybe he read The Secret 100 times. Maybe he tunes out everything you say. OK I know a few people like that.

It's funny that you mention about the losing tickets 'cause when I read your post I was thinking about the multiple states that sell PB times all the tickets sold just to hopefully produce 1 winning ticket.  Most people only see the jackpot.

RE: my comment........ have you ever heard the saying "your thoughts become your reality"? I understand what your saying about winning the lottery based on how you were feeling. I was thinking about people who say they aren't lucky, they never win anything etc. and if you look at their lives you can't help but wonder if their attitude is a big factor. Your friend has the right attitude.

I learned a long time ago that life isn't fair and I've struggled to get through it. I've always lived in reality and am just now learning to dream as a way of coping. LOL I don't dream about winning PB though!

I don't play PB or MM because just like you said......the true reality is the odds.