Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Let this be a lesson for you!

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Artemis's avatar - Alice
New England
United States
Member #100508
November 13, 2010
96 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2011, 12:59 am - IP Logged

OK, now that I am done kicking myself in the ass, I can share what just happened to me.

I usually pick my scratch tickets while I'm at the counter, going with the ones that I have a "feeling" will win. Well I decided on 2 $5 tickets with a top prize of $35K the cashier took them out, and said" oops, there are only three left, do you just want to take them all"? I decided on getting 5 Wild Money QP's for Tuesday (RI) and went to the lottery section to get my slips, wallet sorted out. While I was doing that, a man who had been playing keno bought the ticket I passed on. I was half listening as I was putting my things away, and heard him make a sound which can only be discribed as a horse getting goosed. HE WON THE $35K TOP PRIZE. I congratulated him, but ever since, I've felt like I need to puke .... Crying

Why didn't I just get iiiiittttttt???????

I haven't told my boyfriend yet, and not sure if I'm going to!Bang Head

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10350 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:08 am - IP Logged

As Kurt Vonneut Jr. said many times in his books, "That momnet in time was just structured that way".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #103797
      January 5, 2011
      7 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Oh that's got to suck! This happened yesterday? Geez i feel sorry for you.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
        Kunming
        China
        Member #57910
        January 23, 2008
        3626 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2011, 2:31 am - IP Logged

OK, now that I am done kicking myself in the ass, I can share what just happened to me.

I usually pick my scratch tickets while I'm at the counter, going with the ones that I have a "feeling" will win. Well I decided on 2 $5 tickets with a top prize of $35K the cashier took them out, and said" oops, there are only three left, do you just want to take them all"? I decided on getting 5 Wild Money QP's for Tuesday (RI) and went to the lottery section to get my slips, wallet sorted out. While I was doing that, a man who had been playing keno bought the ticket I passed on. I was half listening as I was putting my things away, and heard him make a sound which can only be discribed as a horse getting goosed. HE WON THE $35K TOP PRIZE. I congratulated him, but ever since, I've felt like I need to puke .... Crying

It's destiny! Get angry,sad, depressed, etc. for a few weeks and then get back up and go at it again learning from this experience. Remember the old saying: "Don't cry over split milk". It wasn't your time.Just want to tell you about a experience I had over ten years old when I was living in New York City. I use to go to this lottery store and buy my tickets everyday. After buying my tickets I use to hang out for about 10 minutes chatting with the owner of the shop. A guy was buy lotto tickets and  the clerck gave him 5 quick picks. He was  so angry because he only wanted 1 ticket. I told the clerk I buy the ticket. So the guy print 1 lotto ticket for the guy and as he left, he said "I hope that ticket isn't the jackpot winner". The next day I couldn't believe that I hit 5 numbers! I won about 1,500.00. I was so happy and couldn't believe it. Since then, I never reject a ticket even if the clerk makes a mistake or it is offered or suggested to me.

Play to win!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
          Member #59354
          March 13, 2008
          3966 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2011, 3:50 am - IP Logged

Artemis

Think about this just for a moment, This happends all the time, every day, everwhere.  There will

always be the person that buys the winning ticket just after the person before them.  The thing

here is that you were there to wittness to it.  Don't be too hard on yourself as the 3 tickets

could have been losers.  If the guy would have taken the tickets home to scratch them you would

not have known that they won.  I am sure that many that read this post will now look for end of

the roll tickets to buy and some will be winners and some will not.  Had the guy got there first and

bought his then maybe you would have won the prize.  Just let it go, hindsight is 20/20. 

RL

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:12 am - IP Logged

yeah the universe is made up of atoms that zig and zag, in reality nothing is solid , its all a state of flux,  ive noticed that when i win, or lose, at something the time i make the descision is a surreal state, when all possibilities are open. you just dont recognise them until after the event.

how to recognise these instances ?

you just did, i have only seen em after the event,sometimes ive zigged and sang for joy, others ive zagged and sighed that lady luck  plays me for giggles.

put it down to experience, and keep a sharp look out

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40420 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:14 am - IP Logged

Yikes , I feel for you.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2657 Posts
                Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:37 am - IP Logged

used to have a friend that had the wierdest luck with scratch offs .......

thar'd be the occasional night he'd of spent the very last few dollars to his name for the time and he'd hit it ... then thar'd be other nights specially after getting paid hes spend the few dollars and wouldn't get a thing

chalk it up as a lesson for the moment ... and when all else fails try try again Lep

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22891 Posts
                  Posted: January 24, 2011, 10:29 am - IP Logged

omg..that is sick.

ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
                    Denver, Co
                    United States
                    Member #103046
                    December 29, 2010
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: January 24, 2011, 11:00 am - IP Logged

No matter what you say about this and no matter how anyone tries to explain it away, it still SUCKS.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: January 24, 2011, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

oh yeah i forgot to say it still sucks,  and blows too. one of my bad calls cost me $100k on the stock market. i didnt lose it, i just didnt make it. and it took about 3 months of feeling pretty bad, really bad to get over it.

so i know how you feel.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49699 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2011, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Life is a Cruel Teacher: It gives you the Test First: Then the Lesson!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Every time someone wins big with a scratch-off ticket, someone ahead and behind them just missed buying that ticket.  So what have you learn?  Is it that when you're buying tickets and someone else wins instead you and know about it, you feel like puking?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49699 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Life is always cruel
                            To each man in its own way
                            It metes out sorrow
                            To one and all
                            Some a portion small
                            Some a large
                            Life is always cruel
                            If it gives ten of happiness
                            There'll be one which
                            Takes the joy out of nine
                            It is a stern teacher
                            Who never likes
                            To see a happy face
                            Life is always cruel
                            Whether you're rich or poor
                            Makes no difference
                            Each man is given a thorn
                            Along with the rose he got
                            Look at those around you
                            Who've been under a heavy hand
                            Help wipe their blood and sweat
                            You'll find your sorrows vanish
                            And Life will find its match in you!

(Author: Angelina Pandian)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

lotto lynn's avatar - Yavill
                              New York
                              United States
                              Member #65188
                              September 20, 2008
                              187 Posts
                              Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Artemis

Do not be too hard on yourself, I have brought the last three tickets on a roll and did not win anything. So with this being said, it was just the luck of the draw. If we all knew where the winning tickets were, we would all have a big some of money!!!   Take Care

I Like It…I Like It®Sun Smileylotto lynn