Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Let this be a lesson for you!

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Hermanus104.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Instyle's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
Member #55821
October 21, 2007
161 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Every time someone wins big with a scratch-off ticket, someone ahead and behind them just missed buying that ticket.  So what have you learn?  Is it that when you're buying tickets and someone else wins instead you and know about it, you feel like puking?

RJOH

"So what you you learn?"   

I don't know about you but I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER SCRATCH-OFF TICKET EVERRRRRRRR 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19826 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2011, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

RJOH

"So what you you learn?"   

I don't know about you but I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER SCRATCH-OFF TICKET EVERRRRRRRR 

I seldom buy a scratch-off ticket but when I do I don't stand in line to see if a player ahead of me won and I don't wait around to see if anyone else is buying one.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49725 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2011, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

OK, now that I am done kicking myself in the ass, I can share what just happened to me.

I usually pick my scratch tickets while I'm at the counter, going with the ones that I have a "feeling" will win. Well I decided on 2 $5 tickets with a top prize of $35K the cashier took them out, and said" oops, there are only three left, do you just want to take them all"? I decided on getting 5 Wild Money QP's for Tuesday (RI) and went to the lottery section to get my slips, wallet sorted out. While I was doing that, a man who had been playing keno bought the ticket I passed on. I was half listening as I was putting my things away, and heard him make a sound which can only be discribed as a horse getting goosed. HE WON THE $35K TOP PRIZE. I congratulated him, but ever since, I've felt like I need to puke .... Crying

Why didn't I just get iiiiittttttt???????

I haven't told my boyfriend yet, and not sure if I'm going to!Bang Head

I've got to admit, I'm hooked on the
      lottery. It's impossible, not to play.
      My goal is to win very big, so I can
      retire in a spectacular way. I've tried
      to give it up, many times. Each time
      I realized, it would be a crime. What
      if by chance, I didn't play and the
      numbers that came in, were mine.
      It would be a total disaster, after I
      had played, all these years. Instantly
      I'd be a basket case, I'd shed a
      million tears. Whether you win, or
      whether you lose, it's the name of
      the game. It doesn't matter how many
      tickets you buy, the odds, are still
      the same. Luck, has a lot to do with
      it. If you have it, you're more apt to
      win. On the other hand if you're not,
      you'll keep losing, much to your
      chagrin!

(Author: Audrey Heller)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #99032
        October 18, 2010
        1439 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2011, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

A couple months ago I wrote down the numbers 4-19-26-28-39-? For the Mega Millions, (The ? was for Mega Ball) but the line in the store got really long and I left.  I don't usually play Mega, but the Jackpot was pretty high, so I was going to that night.

That night, those 5 numbers came up exactly.  I was soooooooo dissapointed.  If I had waited for 2 minutes, I would have won 250,000 grand that night.

So, yeah, I know know if feels.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2011, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I feel for you.......that really suxs......

Artemis's avatar - Alice
            New England
            United States
            Member #100508
            November 13, 2010
            96 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:12 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone. Even though that happened yesterday, I still bought a few scratch tickets today. I won $20.00 lol.

Playing extra MM and PB this week just in case! Wink

FL
              United States
              Member #104946
              January 22, 2011
              105 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Artemis, Was that on the Seasons Greetings game? I hope you win a much bigger prize someday, keep trying. If I had won that and knew someone almost had that ticket too I would have felt bad for them not winning and I would give them something.  I always think when I win, if its at a store where everyone is nice I would share some with them.   Thanks for the story, could happen to anyone and you know most people never know a winning ticket occured just before or after them.

At first when I heard the story I was thinking that I've seen people scratch and yell out but then look again and they really didn't have the winner but it sounds like your fella there did catch one.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                Winning makes me smile.
                bel air maryland
                United States
                Member #90251
                April 24, 2010
                4870 Posts
                Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

How many of us have picked a pick 3 number, played it a few days, stopped playing  it and a day or so later it comes in? Or have played it on the midday and had it hit on the evening or vice versa. I have plenty of times, and so has every other lottery player. All  you can do is say "oh well" and try again tomorrow.  But rest assured it will happen again, unfortunately.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104435
                  January 14, 2011
                  2244 Posts
                  Posted: January 24, 2011, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

About 8 years ago the lady who bought her scratch off tickets JUST before me won $10,000. What made me feel better was that I would not of bought that ticket either way. 

4 years ago this one guy who just hangs around our 7-11 all day long bought the ticket I was going to buy and won $5,000. That one stung. 

Another instance I was playing $1 tickets and after 6 losers went to get my 7th ticket. Turns out some guy had been watching me and beat me to the line and bought 2 of the same ticket. I got pissed right then but you can imagine I was a lot more pissed when he headed back to the counter with a $250 winner.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2011, 1:15 am - IP Logged

OK, now that I am done kicking myself in the ass, I can share what just happened to me.

I usually pick my scratch tickets while I'm at the counter, going with the ones that I have a "feeling" will win. Well I decided on 2 $5 tickets with a top prize of $35K the cashier took them out, and said" oops, there are only three left, do you just want to take them all"? I decided on getting 5 Wild Money QP's for Tuesday (RI) and went to the lottery section to get my slips, wallet sorted out. While I was doing that, a man who had been playing keno bought the ticket I passed on. I was half listening as I was putting my things away, and heard him make a sound which can only be discribed as a horse getting goosed. HE WON THE $35K TOP PRIZE. I congratulated him, but ever since, I've felt like I need to puke .... Crying

Another way to look at this is the fact that your pain is probably being completely compensated for by the happiness at the winner's house!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40469 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2011, 6:38 am - IP Logged

Another way to look at this is the fact that your pain is probably being completely compensated for by the happiness at the winner's house!

Yep I agree. No matter how bad you got it someone else has got it worse.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49725 Posts
                        Posted: January 25, 2011, 9:00 am - IP Logged

Yep I agree. No matter how bad you got it someone else has got it worse.

One half of the world complains if they do not win the lottery while the other half of the world wonders if they will eat today.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19826 Posts
                          Posted: January 25, 2011, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

A couple months ago I wrote down the numbers 4-19-26-28-39-? For the Mega Millions, (The ? was for Mega Ball) but the line in the store got really long and I left.  I don't usually play Mega, but the Jackpot was pretty high, so I was going to that night.

That night, those 5 numbers came up exactly.  I was soooooooo dissapointed.  If I had waited for 2 minutes, I would have won 250,000 grand that night.

So, yeah, I know know if feels.

That's really interesting, you not only wrote down the winning numbers but wrote them down in their sorted order.  Had you ever done that before?  Were those numbers special to you?  I've written down 4-19 and 419 often myself because they are my birth date and area code.   Often when I use my lottery program to pick numbers and its RNG needs a seed number I enter 419.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rukiafae's avatar - box
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #100192
                            November 7, 2010
                            125 Posts
                            Posted: January 25, 2011, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

ouch. that hurts.

i usually take the last or extra tickets if offered, or if i think about it, but yeah, there have been times i passed.

i dont want to know if i missed out on a win!  LOL

Monkey Butt, USA
                              United States
                              Member #54569
                              August 23, 2007
                              1124 Posts
                              Posted: January 25, 2011, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

1.  In response to your experience, all I can say is.....Bang Head......Thud......Puke

2. How did you get the a word through the sensor?  Big Grin

3. How does a horse sound when getting goosed???  LOL   ROFL  Green laugh

I need to know so I can practice for my jackpot win...............ROFL

Now stop kicking yourself, remember you are only human, and start having fun again..............  Party