Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NY Scratch-off Discussion

Topic closed. 680 replies. Last post 5 years ago by lenkame.

Page 20 of 46
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #109882
April 21, 2011
158 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

You never know that next roll may contain the million ... I mean how else can you become well off by working 30 years lol ??

im 29 and i think im in good shape financially but wasting money how i do and getting nothing back except a blue finger from the ticket residue is not how i want to waste my money.I just might mkae 2 more rolls my last.Its different in florida because you can make 100 bucks here and there i get happy when i see a 50 dollar winner.I get happy to just break even or make back 60percent.I think im down about losing so much who knows a big win can cheer me up lol

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #99032
    October 18, 2010
    1439 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Thats bad. Are you gonna keep playing ? I might buy 1 more $20 game roll if its cold im done. Might as well try when the area has been hot.

So I kind of know what you're going through - on a much smaller level.  I'm definetely a lot younger than you guys, and when I turned 18 my friend convinced me after a couple to weeks to buy a couple scratch offs, and I bought some $1 ones.  Well, I noticed I was basically just losing 5 bucks everytime and started playing Pick 3, figuring .50 to a couple bucks isn't bad.

So I had fun with that, and still do.  But I gave scratch offs another try.  Well I'd say in the past like 6 months my scratch offs loss is probably around 600-1000, where my Pick 3 gain (I got really lucky when I first started playing, 2 box hits in a row, and my first S/B bet was a QP and got me 414) is probably around 400 dollars.  But I noticed something.  I only lost money on scratch offs because I was trying to force a win.  Every single time I won, I had either decided to ask the clerk if any were good and just buy a couple or play until the first win (I play a specific $2 scratch off, that the store has 2 rolls of so it doesn't good too expensive for me)

I only lost significant money when I bought more expensive tickets, and I only won good money when I had the right mindsight.  I'm not saying I won everytime I had that right mindset, but I can only recall one time where I forced a win and made money, after buying like 12 $5 tickets, I won $100 on one.  But every other time I played like that, I ended up losing, or breaking even at best.

Now I'm back to P3 and the occasional $2 ticket, or jackpot game.  I just find the Pick 3 fun.  I was even on a cold streak, didn't win for a about a month or so because I only played a couple of numbers.  But then I won 3x box last night, and 1x box the next day on the same number.  That's what's fun about the game for me, a small investment, and getting an unexpected suprise.  What I realized isn't fun is going home realizing you're down like 50 to 200 dollars, and for you guys it's a lot more.

So yeah I'd definetly stop playing so many expensive scrath offs.  The wierd thing is, I know the house edge is usually better on scratch offs, but the expense is still more b/c of the cost of the tickets, and b/c I just play what numbers I like, and leave.  The draw happens later, not instantly.

PS: If you make that decision, I hope that ticket wins you a good chunk of change.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #104435
      January 14, 2011
      2244 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

im 29 and i think im in good shape financially but wasting money how i do and getting nothing back except a blue finger from the ticket residue is not how i want to waste my money.I just might mkae 2 more rolls my last.Its different in florida because you can make 100 bucks here and there i get happy when i see a 50 dollar winner.I get happy to just break even or make back 60percent.I think im down about losing so much who knows a big win can cheer me up lol

Ive been scratching heavily for 6 months now. I first got down about $2K and I managed to crawl back up to only being $800 down. I could of worked that off but got greedy. Then in a few months I was nearly $10K down but thankfully a winning streak helped me im only $3K or so down right now. I might risk another grand trying to break even or go ahead and then stop and just work it off ...

2014 Highest Winner: $500

United States
        Member #109882
        April 21, 2011
        158 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Ive been scratching heavily for 6 months now. I first got down about $2K and I managed to crawl back up to only being $800 down. I could of worked that off but got greedy. Then in a few months I was nearly $10K down but thankfully a winning streak helped me im only $3K or so down right now. I might risk another grand trying to break even or go ahead and then stop and just work it off ...

so you reinvest your 100 dollar wiinnings ?I reinvest everything i make.Im down over 25 k and im not even close to exxagerrating.i remember last year i was only buying 20 dollar rolls and only making back 500 bucks from it so i have alot of frustration to the point that i dont even think a jackpot is even winnable

Florida
          United States
          Member #104435
          January 14, 2011
          2244 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

How did you get to be $25K down how much were you playing per month ?

United States
            Member #109882
            April 21, 2011
            158 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

How did you get to be $25K down how much were you playing per month ?

i was wasting about 2grand a month after i was 15 k down i started playing heavy again and now im about 10 k down again .i play about 1500 a week.Im going to cut down alot probably to 600 a week its killin me knowing how the lottery people are getting rich with me.

Florida
              United States
              Member #104435
              January 14, 2011
              2244 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

i was wasting about 2grand a month after i was 15 k down i started playing heavy again and now im about 10 k down again .i play about 1500 a week.Im going to cut down alot probably to 600 a week its killin me knowing how the lottery people are getting rich with me.

Its amazing you cant hit a big winner with all that scratching. Dont you hate it when someone who never bought a lotto ticket before wins a million ?

At least im glad im not the worst of the bunch around here. I once saw a guy blow his entire $3K paycheck in 1 hour so he was broke for the month and had to last on 15 cent noodles until his next payday.

United States
                Member #109882
                April 21, 2011
                158 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Its amazing you cant hit a big winner with all that scratching. Dont you hate it when someone who never bought a lotto ticket before wins a million ?

At least im glad im not the worst of the bunch around here. I once saw a guy blow his entire $3K paycheck in 1 hour so he was broke for the month and had to last on 15 cent noodles until his next payday.

i eat good everyday i only wastewhat i can afford but after reading the stories of people who only buy 1 ticket and it was there first time playing and me a veteran in the game i been playing lotto for ten years and only got a 700 payout on the take 5 for having 4 numbers is really a slap in the face.You would think i have better chances because i buy so many before i didnt buy rolls. i use to buy ten in each store until i ran out and that still didnt work twice i bought tickets and saved it until the end of the month and i had about 3 or 4 grand at the end of the month scratched it and only made back 2g.Im sicked and tired of people lying saying it was there last ten dollar bill and the scratch off is the 1 in 3million odd winner i think its all a scam

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #104435
                  January 14, 2011
                  2244 Posts
                  Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Thats why im not trying to get the million. I dont think its possible around here when all the winners are going to the west coast lol ( im on the east )

There was a guy last year who won $1 million AND $10 million on the same game in the same town. unbelievable. but he was scratching hardcore from what i heard buying books all the time... I just cant stand it when someone who never played wins because WE are the ones who are paying for that ...

United States
                    Member #109882
                    April 21, 2011
                    158 Posts
                    Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

Thats why im not trying to get the million. I dont think its possible around here when all the winners are going to the west coast lol ( im on the east )

There was a guy last year who won $1 million AND $10 million on the same game in the same town. unbelievable. but he was scratching hardcore from what i heard buying books all the time... I just cant stand it when someone who never played wins because WE are the ones who are paying for that ...

so if you dont win are you going to give up?

Florida
                      United States
                      Member #104435
                      January 14, 2011
                      2244 Posts
                      Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

so if you dont win are you going to give up?

o man... i dont know... i hate working lol

United States
                        Member #109882
                        April 21, 2011
                        158 Posts
                        Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

o man... i dont know... i hate working lol

the game i play is et for life which is 5grand a week for ever

Florida
                          United States
                          Member #104435
                          January 14, 2011
                          2244 Posts
                          Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

the game i play is et for life which is 5grand a week for ever

I would pass out if i scratched that winner lol

The games I play have jackpots of $100K - $250K and the $20 games up to $10 million

United States
                            Member #109882
                            April 21, 2011
                            158 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I would pass out if i scratched that winner lol

The games I play have jackpots of $100K - $250K and the $20 games up to $10 million

the sound of 5k sounds like never ever working to me .THat's why im as ucker for that game.I wish i dint have to work and i could just sip pina colada in a island somewhere

Florida
                              United States
                              Member #104435
                              January 14, 2011
                              2244 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2011, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

the sound of 5k sounds like never ever working to me .THat's why im as ucker for that game.I wish i dint have to work and i could just sip pina colada in a island somewhere

amen brother. im gonna give it another shot tomorrow

Page 20 of 46