Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Changing your name after hitting it big

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
rukiafae's avatar - box
NC
United States
Member #100192
November 7, 2010
125 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2011, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

i think changing your name would make it harder to track you down, but still not impossible. there are legal records, you know LOL

would i do it? probably depends on how much i won. i know i would want to, but cant really see hubby doing it.

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
    Member #60535
    April 21, 2008
    460 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2011, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Would any of you ever consider changing your name after you claimed a massive jackpot? And could changing your name help in hiding your identity?

Absatutely.  i've been happily unmarried to the same man for 11 years.  I would claim the winnings in my name, marry him to change my last name and move to a different part of the country.  There's no way on God's green earth I could stay in my neighborhood even after winning 1 million.  We have had 3 bikes stolen out of our yard already this year, and our vehicles pilfered for change and other small items last year, I couldn't imagine staying here if anyone knew we were millionaires!

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2011, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I  would change my name to "Powerball Winner" because that is what half the mail that you get will be addressed to will be...

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3104 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2011, 3:43 am - IP Logged

Change your name now while it doens't mean anything and change it back to your real name after you win.

Move to California where you can live under a stage name, just pay the actors' union dues.

BobP

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
          Budapest
          Hungary
          Member #111903
          June 5, 2011
          35 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2011, 5:44 am - IP Logged

Haha, where do you live man? Where I live it is no problem as when You hit the lottery noone ever gets to know you hit the jackpot, unless you are fool enough to go to the media and tell them :)

I would not change my name :)

I always play random numbers

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
            Member #60535
            April 21, 2008
            460 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2011, 6:55 am - IP Logged

Haha, where do you live man? Where I live it is no problem as when You hit the lottery noone ever gets to know you hit the jackpot, unless you are fool enough to go to the media and tell them :)

I would not change my name :)

In FLorida you must give your name and address and it is public record.

United States
              Member #110736
              May 11, 2011
              34 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2011, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Absatutely.  i've been happily unmarried to the same man for 11 years.  I would claim the winnings in my name, marry him to change my last name and move to a different part of the country.  There's no way on God's green earth I could stay in my neighborhood even after winning 1 million.  We have had 3 bikes stolen out of our yard already this year, and our vehicles pilfered for change and other small items last year, I couldn't imagine staying here if anyone knew we were millionaires!

Same here, I live in a neighborhood with a lot of creeps who are hurting for money because they spend it all on drugs and booze. No way I'd stick around this part of town.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                The Ville, FL
                United States
                Member #95879
                August 19, 2010
                1708 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Make it something simple: Anthony Weiner!

Speaking of Weiner, did anyone watch the press conference today with him? LOL - the people in the background on live TV yelling stuff like "Hey Weiner, is it bigger than 7 inches?" bwahaaaaaaaa lol

feri32's avatar - nw gnome.jpg
                  Budapest
                  Hungary
                  Member #111903
                  June 5, 2011
                  35 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2011, 3:23 am - IP Logged

Huhh, GamerMom ... that is really something. I really tought your were just kidding.

I live in Hungary, Europe and here the Winner's identity is kept secret. Indeed, there is a phone number which you call and only 2 people at the lottery company would know who the actual winner was. Of course you have to list the winning on your tax document but that is confidential too. 

I guess freedom has left America.

I always play random numbers

United States
                    Member #111186
                    May 20, 2011
                    344 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2011, 6:07 am - IP Logged

If I hit it BIG, I would definately change my name......and relocate......

New life, new name Dance

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #104853
                      January 21, 2011
                      159 Posts
                      Posted: June 17, 2011, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I live in a decent enough town that it hopefully won't resort to that.  I would only feel the need to change my name and bail out if the jackpot I won was super high and caused me to get a lot of unintended media attention.  Luckily I live in a state that allows me to be anonymous.  May that never change.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2011, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

When you win you'll have plenty of money to rent a cheap apartment in another state and get your name changed there where nobody reading those notices in the paper knows you.

As far as I know, you can change your name as many times as you want.  A woman I worked with changed hers 3 or 4 times in a year.  She kept saying it just didn't feel right so she changed it.  Someone else told me she was trying to clean up her credit reports.  I guess she confused the credit reporting agencies by all the names, then disputed that she ever used the name all the bad debts were under and got them all removed.

Hmm, I guess it varies by states then. I know in some states what she did would be illegal, so the state would not grant her request. And yea, I suppose moving to another place for a short time then changing your name could work, hadn't thought of that.

I'd still not change my name though, since I would claim via a trust. If I couldn't do that though then I would look into changing my name, since it's not too common of a name and I think only 3-5 people have it in the US, unlike some friends of mine who share their first and last name with dozens of people.

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          San Diego, CA
                          United States
                          Member #112369
                          June 17, 2011
                          187 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2011, 12:17 am - IP Logged

I would think that Ridgerunner Mindwalker would be a good moniker if you're going to change your name.

Hi everybody.  This is my first post after joining as a new member, though I've read for a bit before joining because I can't read/post as often as I'd like.

Come on, Ridgerunner Mindwalker.  Isn't that a great name?  Whooshing through Kentucky.

BTW, thanks to all to great people that made me want to join.  I've always enjoyed reading posts by (among others) Sully, RJOH, Coin, and Joker, and of course, Ridge.

And that's only a fraction of the people that made me want to join; it's a vibrant community.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40609 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2011, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I think it's something that everyone should consider and be prepared to institute should the need arise.

For that reason I have already chosen a name just so I'm prepared. It's unremarkable and nondescript so as to not attract attention.

Pat McGroin.

LOL , I just got that, hehehe.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2011, 1:28 am - IP Logged

LOL , I just got that, hehehe.

I have no idea what you're talking about.   Naughty

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke