20 N.Y. Costco workers share $202M Powerball lottery jackpot

Jun 17, 2011, 9:12 am (48 comments)

Powerball

MELVILLE, N.Y. — The 20 oversized checks, each made out for $201.9 million, seemed appropriate for these lottery winners.

A group of 20 Long Island Costco employees calling themselves the "1937 Flatbush Avenue Dodgers" stepped forward Thursday in the parking lot of the big box store where they work to claim first prize in a June 1 Powerball jackpot.

The winners, who opted to take a lump sum payout, will share $70.2 million after taxes, New York state Lottery officials said.

Kim Karkota, one of two winners who were designated as spokespeople for the media-shy group, said the group each chipped in $5 a week and pooled their money for the lottery tickets. She said the group had only been playing Powerball together for about a month when they hit the jackpot.

"It's a great thing for everybody," said Ralph Green, 61, of Copiague, one of the new millionaires.

Manzolillo of Lindenhurst, the elder of the group, said he nearly forgot to buy the tickets for the June 1 Powerball drawing.

"I forgot the group's money!" said Manzolillo, who realized the slip when he went to the Maulik & Chandri Stationary store in Lindenhurst to buy his usual tickets.

"I went all the way home and back to the store so I could buy our numbers," he said.

While a few said they plan to retire, most said they intend to keep their jobs.

"We don't see any reason to leave," said Green, the group's chief spokesman.

Allen VanDett, 27, whose wife, Jamie, was among the winners, said they plan to set up college funds for two daughters, ages 4 and 8 months, and have some fun.

"Maybe [buy] a Rolex or something," Allen VanDett said.

The winning combination was 8, 18, 38, 46, 56 with the winning Powerball No. 31.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Seem like nice people .................... but I like when 1 person wins !

Thumbs Up

fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

Now they can afford to go to Sam's club and stock up.

sully16's avatarsully16

Quote: Originally posted by fwlawrence on Jun 17, 2011

Now they can afford to go to Sam's club and stock up.

LOL Congrats to the winners.Cheers

ConstantlyB's avatarConstantlyB

with a  pot that big...i love it more when it's shared.......CONGRATS  to all the winners!

...and they've only been playing a month!!! AWESOME!

JAP69's avatarJAP69

New York Lottery winnings are subject to state and Federal income taxes. New York City and Yonkers residents also are subject to local income taxes.

They will have a hefty tax bite for state taxes. I did not think it was that high.
State Tax on $550,000.00 or more Mad 8.97%Mad

Mario38

Another example of group play at work. Each person chipped in only $5 per week - a reasonable amount to spend on lottery tickets per week. But becuase they were playing in a group, they got the same odds to win as if they were spending $100 each per week. Most people cannot afford to spend $100 per week ($5,200 per year).

Congrats to the lucky group.

freeobama's avatarfreeobama

Congrats to all the winners,after all them taxes they should have a pretty penny left. MY day will come!!!ROFL

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats to all the winners.......Hurray!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jun 17, 2011

Another example of group play at work. Each person chipped in only $5 per week - a reasonable amount to spend on lottery tickets per week. But becuase they were playing in a group, they got the same odds to win as if they were spending $100 each per week. Most people cannot afford to spend $100 per week ($5,200 per year).

Congrats to the lucky group.

Actually, you're much more likely to win as an individual than with a group.

Comparatively speaking, it is very rare for a group to win.

Always go with the best odds.

Avoid groups and all the hassles and problems that go along with them.

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 17, 2011

Actually, you're much more likely to win as an individual than with a group.

Comparatively speaking, it is very rare for a group to win.

Always go with the best odds.

Avoid groups and all the hassles and problems that go along with them.

It is a mathematical fact that 100 tickets have a probability of winning a jackpot that is 20 times better than 5 tickets.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

It is a mathematical fact that 100 tickets have a probability of winning a jackpot that is 20 times better than 5 tickets.

Let's forget what you learned in your commune, comrade. Down here we think for ourselves. Let's just deal with facts.

It's a literal fact that the odds of an individual winning are vastly greater than those of a group.

It's a logical fact that the way to win is to play the odds.

That's just common sense.

Wake up.

Take a break from the trampoline for a few weeks.

Your brain stem is coming unplugged.

Mario38

Let's forget what you learned in your commune, comrade. Down here we think for ourselves. Let's just deal with facts.

It's a literal fact that the odds of an individual winning are vastly greater than those of a group.

It's a logical fact that the way to win is to play the odds.

That's just common sense.

Wake up.

Take a break from the trampoline for a few weeks.

Your brain stem is coming unplugged.

Your inability or unwillingness to understand mathematics leaves you with your usual method of reply - insults and attacks. Pathetic.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

I think the odds of a group winning versus an individual depends on how the lottery pool itself is organized and I doubt that many lottery pools/groups are organized the same.  Some pools will have everyone pitch in a dollar and buy a ticket for each dollar in the pool for that game or they'll donate only 50 cents or whatnot ir they'll collect loose change and whatnot and only buy the tickets when the jackpot gets high enough...etc, etc

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Your inability or unwillingness to understand mathematics leaves you with your usual method of reply - insults and attacks. Pathetic.

Work on common sense first.

I'll try to teach you the rest when you've mastered that.

Now take off, hoser.

Prob988

Actually, he's kind of funny.   You should simply sit back and enjoy a dumb guy making sure that he emphatically and unambiguously demonstrates how dumb he is, especially when he's totally oblivious to it.

There's lots and lots and lots of literature about precisely this kind of thing, and much of it is considered hilarious.

And who cares if he insults people?    He's not exactly the kind of guy that you would want to praise you, is he?

Why sweat it?

thePharaoh's avatarthePharaoh

nice!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Jun 17, 2011

Actually, he's kind of funny.   You should simply sit back and enjoy a dumb guy making sure that he emphatically and unambiguously demonstrates how dumb he is, especially when he's totally oblivious to it.

There's lots and lots and lots of literature about precisely this kind of thing, and much of it is considered hilarious.

And who cares if he insults people?    He's not exactly the kind of guy that you would want to praise you, is he?

Why sweat it?

Hey, one of my favorite cowards is back!

The one who likes to throw insults and then run and hide for a couple months cuz he can't take the heat.

Did you think I forgot about our previous exchange on April 5th and 6th when you ran and hid after I responded to you?

It's right here in this thread:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/229861/2013536

Do you remember the very next time you posted?

It was on May 29th and it was just another attack on me from which you ran and hid until now.

You can see it in this thread:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232000/2075929

And now you've come back to do a little more hit and run and hide sniping. How brave of you! You're my hero! You said the U.S. deserves to be a third world country. I'll bet your daddy is proud of his little weasel! You're probably a chip off the old block!

Actually you're a lot like the Tennessee Lottery - no balls.

See ya in a couple months!

Mario38

Here we go, another hijacked thread. For a lottery forum, it is amazing how little the topic of lottery is discussed. Maybe it should be renamed Insult Post.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Here we go, another hijacked thread. For a lottery forum, it is amazing how little the topic of lottery is discussed. Maybe it should be renamed Insult Post.

I know, little man, life must be a street of broken dreams for you.

You can't even trick anybody into joining your pool now that they've heard what you did with the money the last two times.

Give it time, little one.

I'm here for you.

GYM RICE

Congrats to the winners but I have to get this off my chest.

I think any man/woman/child who takes in a mulitiple million dollar winfall and still has the audacity to say they aren't going to quit their lower income paying job, is far from nice people. With the amount of people out of work, does society really need a multi millionare working the cash register at costco? Sure its a free world, be use some common sense for crying out loud. The internet youngings would call these types of people attention Wh$res. Whats wrong with saying "i'm gonna give my job up to someone who is in the unemployment line" And then make sure Costco actually hires someone to fill your position.

ttech10's avatarttech10

I know the upside for them is that they did win and they have millions, but this is an example why if I ever did join a group it would be a small one. They won $70 million but they only take home $3.5 million. I mean I'd definitely love to take home $3.5 million and would be stoked, but if I won a jackpot worth $70 million I'd be a bit disappointed about taking home only a small fraction of that.

Congrats to them though, hope they spend it wisely.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by GYM RICE on Jun 17, 2011

Congrats to the winners but I have to get this off my chest.

I think any man/woman/child who takes in a mulitiple million dollar winfall and still has the audacity to say they aren't going to quit their lower income paying job, is far from nice people. With the amount of people out of work, does society really need a multi millionare working the cash register at costco? Sure its a free world, be use some common sense for crying out loud. The internet youngings would call these types of people attention Wh$res. Whats wrong with saying "i'm gonna give my job up to someone who is in the unemployment line" And then make sure Costco actually hires someone to fill your position.

I don't know if anybody's ever checked but I would bet that not many millionaires really stay too long at those jobs.

Can you imagine a long boring or hard day at work and all you want to do is go home and you know you have the money to be out doing anything you'd like? I don't think too many of them would deal with that under those circumstances. I know I wouldn't.

Working for yourself would be totally different though. The boss can come and go as he pleases.

kapla

I don't know if anybody's ever checked but I would bet that not many millionaires really stay too long at those jobs.

Can you imagine a long boring or hard day at work and all you want to do is go home and you know you have the money to be out doing anything you'd like? I don't think too many of them would deal with that under those circumstances. I know I wouldn't.

Working for yourself would be totally different though. The boss can come and go as he pleases.

I agree.  I often find it sad, people that have the money to leave ANY job and do ANYTHING they want - STAY because they don't know what else to do.  I have seen stories of people that stay at jobs to MAKE a difference in people’s lives ect ( like teachers) and I understand that but not jobs you were doing to  'just make money' .

What kind of person stays at a job for Cosco when they can do almost ANYHING with their life? I would understand if you had a VESTED interest in the Cosco store - but in todays corporate world not even the CEO has a vested interest to a company that size.

GYM RICE

Good point. Once though I would love to hear someone say they're given up their job so someone else can feed their family.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Congrats to the winners. Strength in numbers. Wish my co-workers were into lottery as I am. $5 a week per person is a very modest play. Combined with 20 x $5 = 100 tickets per week each individual shared. But wow, the tax is a killer took more than half. They will get tax again when they spend the cash, hope they spent it well.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

You'd be better off arguing with a box of hammers. They wouldn't insult you and there's a slightly better chance you could teach them something.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 18, 2011

You'd be better off arguing with a box of hammers. They wouldn't insult you and there's a slightly better chance you could teach them something.

Hey! KY-Jelly Floyd!

Another one of my favorite canard-originators and rumor-mongers! The one-man gossip-mill!

How ya been, old buddy?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 18, 2011

Where's rdgrnr ?
Reply 54 of 169
Posted by KY Floyd
1/26/2011 3:26:53 PM

rdgrnr isn't what is wrong, he is actually what is right. Feel free to believe that his politics are what's right, but he himself certainly didn't strike me as an example of what's right. Early on we had exchanges where he presented reasonable and cogent statements about his argument. As time went on I saw less and less of that and more and more vitriolic hyperbole, including claiming that some with a different opinion were traitors. If I had a ticket for every time he called somebody a libtard I'd probably have won a jackpot, and with some of his posts I could only imagine him sitting there red-faced and sputtering all over his keyboard as he typed. Unless your argument is really unfounded you should be able to suport it with reasoning and factual statements. I'd say an apparently increasing inability (or dislike) to present your argument without being rational and civil is definitely one of the things that's wrong nowadays. I appreciated some of his humor, and maybe some of what he displayed was just part of the persona he chose to present here, but the tone I saw in many of his posts represents part of the uglier side of politics and debate in contemporary society. I recall somebody else's post that may have suggested that he had some health issues. In all honesty, if he had hypertension or cardiac problems some of his posts make it very easy for me to imagine him having a stroke or heart attack while working himself up over some issue. Perhaps time will tell, and we'll hear actual news one way or another. If you have been studying US history you are using the wrong resources. Study September 11, 2001. Then you will understand why there are survivalists and anti-government types. Speaking of using the wrong resources, surely youseen some that mention Timothy McVeigh? You know, the anti-government zealot responsible for the worst terrorist attack in the US prior to 9/11. FWIW, his execution was on 6/11, exactly 3 months before the WTC attack. The anti-government and survivalist types were around long before he came along. I'm curious why you would single out the WTC attack in order to understand those them.

LOL!  1/29/11, That's when KY-Jelly Floyd came out to debate me - when everybody had declared me dead for 2 months already. What a hero! Early on in his one humongous paragraph he tells this lie:

"If I had a ticket for every time he called somebody a libtard I'd probably have won a jackpot..." 

KY-Jelly Floyd is a liar. I've never called anybody a libtard in my life.

I'll tell you what, KY-Jelly, prove what you said and I'll pay the note on your trailer.

And next time don't assume it's ok to debate me if you think I'm dead and you can make up all the lies you want.. 

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Mathematically it takes ONE ticket with all the numbers from the call to win. Now thats the REAL math.

Now statistics of play and odds of play are NOT what is being discussed.

Not a fan of group play either. Find it silly when the pot says we won 20 million , yet when all is said and done the person walks away with half a mill. Not really worthy of bragging rights ....

I figure if I win I win by my own accord and not riding the coat tails of other players.....

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations NY Costco workers!  The article couldn't mention the true amount of your exciting jackpot win -- after your now and later federal taxes are paid -- however, you'll 20 each end up with approximately $2.82M.  Certainly, that's not enough for a prudent attached, married, or head of household person to retire on, but it's a VERY tidy win, and can create comfort while you continue to work your current job, and receive those benefits in dental, perscription, etc. 

Next each of the 20 will soon need to learn how to limit lottery playing while shifting to lowest risk investing into some avenues mix of real estate tax lien and deed certificates, stock options, or similar.

PartyPatriot

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jun 18, 2011

Mathematically it takes ONE ticket with all the numbers from the call to win. Now thats the REAL math.

Not a fan of group play either. Find it silly when the pot says we won 20 million , yet when all is said and done the person walks away with half a mill. Not really worthy of bragging rights ....

I figure if I win I win by my own accord and not riding the coat tails of other players.....

IT TAKES ONE TICKET TO WIN

I agree IT TAKES ONE TICKET TO WIN.I do not believe in lottery pools or syndicates because it takes one combination to win it all.Many big prizes and jackpots have been won with one ticket.

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on Jun 18, 2011

"Now thats the REAL math."   What?

Of course one ticket can win a lottery. Stating one ticket can win a lottery is stating the obvious. The game rules dictate that a single ticket can win a lottery. That has nothing to do with math.

Math is used to determine the probability of winning with a single ticket as opposed to many tickets.

It is trivial to calculate that playing many tickets increases one's chances of winning. Now that is REAL math.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 19, 2011

IT TAKES ONE TICKET TO WIN

I agree IT TAKES ONE TICKET TO WIN.I do not believe in lottery pools or syndicates because it takes one combination to win it all.Many big prizes and jackpots have been won with one ticket.

You're right on the money THRIFTY!

Lottery Pools are very risky, especially over the internet and even more risky if they're outside the country where the crooks hide and steal your money.

It just happened again in Canada.

Very risky.

You have much a better chance of winning as an individual anyway and you don't have to split with thousands of people to get a couple thousand dollars if you win.

When you buy your own tickets you get the whole thing.  Millions, all to yourself.

Mario38

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 19, 2011

You're right on the money THRIFTY!

Lottery Pools are very risky, especially over the internet and even more risky if they're outside the country where the crooks hide and steal your money.

It just happened again in Canada.

Very risky.

You have much a better chance of winning as an individual anyway and you don't have to split with thousands of people to get a couple thousand dollars if you win.

When you buy your own tickets you get the whole thing.  Millions, all to yourself.

More lies from the fake Christian.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Mario38 on Jun 19, 2011

More lies from the fake Christian.

Please stop stalking me, mario.

I was addressing someone else.

There was no call for you to attack me and call me a liar and make derogatory comments about my religious beliefs.

Please read the rules and abide by them from now on.

You're starting to creep me out, dude.

Mario38

Please stop stalking me, mario.

I was addressing someone else.

There was no call for you to attack me and call me a liar and make derogatory comments about my religious beliefs.

Please read the rules and abide by them from now on.

You're starting to creep me out, dude.

Wow, you are preaching the rules! Not only have I read the rules, I quote them in my signature expressly for your benefit since you never follow them.

What religious beliefs? I asked you what religion you belonged to and you refused to answer. I do not believe there is a religion that would have you as a member.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Wow, you are preaching the rules! Not only have I read the rules, I quote them in my signature expressly for your benefit since you never follow them.

What religious beliefs? I asked you what religion you belonged to and you refused to answer. I do not believe there is a religion that would have you as a member.

So how come you attacked me calling me a liar and a fake Christian when I wasn't even talking to you if you know the rules so well?

And it's none of your dam business what religion I might or might not belong to.

Mario38

So how come you attacked me calling me a liar and a fake Christian when I wasn't even talking to you if you know the rules so well?

And it's none of your dam business what religion I might or might not belong to.

I did not call you a liar. I said you are spreading lies. There is a difference. I commented on your behavior and not you as a person - unlike your comments that always attack me personally.

It is against the Christian faith to spread lies and hatred. Your behavior shows you to not be a real Christian but instead a fake Christian. Fake Christians use religion as a label but not as a doctrine of behavior. Fake is as fake does.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I did not call you a liar. I said you are spreading lies. There is a difference. I commented on your behavior and not you as a person - unlike your comments that always attack me personally.

It is against the Christian faith to spread lies and hatred. Your behavior shows you to not be a real Christian but instead a fake Christian. Fake Christians use religion as a label but not as a doctrine of behavior. Fake is as fake does.

DAILY BULLETIN - News for Midgets

When you say someone is spreading lies you are calling them a liar, personally.

When you say someone is a fake Christian you are attacking their religious beliefs on a personal level.

You could run for President on the D ticket down here the way you lie and twist things around, dude.

I'm still willing to back you on your Little mario's Hot Chip Stand idea though.

But you have to lose all the hate and hostility first.

How about it, Sparky?

Mario38

DAILY BULLETIN - News for Midgets

When you say someone is spreading lies you are calling them a liar, personally.

When you say someone is a fake Christian you are attacking their religious beliefs on a personal level.

You could run for President on the D ticket down here the way you lie and twist things around, dude.

I'm still willing to back you on your Little mario's Hot Chip Stand idea though.

But you have to lose all the hate and hostility first.

How about it, Sparky?

Please follow the Lottery Post rules.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Please follow the Lottery Post rules.

Just me, not you?

I didn't call you a liar or attack your religious beliefs like you did to me. That was despicable! I'm shocked and appalled!

Oh, and I need to know the launch date for the Little mario's Hot Chip Stand so we can get all the particulars worked out, dude.

Call me, I'm really stoked about this! You're gonna be the HOT CHIP KING of CANADA!

That sounds pretty good, huh?

Let me know. We gotta toss some ideas around.

I'm thinking ketchup and mustard in the same sqeeze bottle as kind of a catchy gimmick.

Call me!

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

Amen brother.

Prob988

Hey, one of my favorite cowards is back!

The one who likes to throw insults and then run and hide for a couple months cuz he can't take the heat.

Did you think I forgot about our previous exchange on April 5th and 6th when you ran and hid after I responded to you?

It's right here in this thread:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/229861/2013536

Do you remember the very next time you posted?

It was on May 29th and it was just another attack on me from which you ran and hid until now.

You can see it in this thread:

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/232000/2075929

And now you've come back to do a little more hit and run and hide sniping. How brave of you! You're my hero! You said the U.S. deserves to be a third world country. I'll bet your daddy is proud of his little weasel! You're probably a chip off the old block!

Actually you're a lot like the Tennessee Lottery - no balls.

See ya in a couple months!

On the other hand, maybe I have something called a "life" and found you to be an uninteresting dullard not worth the time of day.

D'ya think?

LOL

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Prob988 on Jun 20, 2011

On the other hand, maybe I have something called a "life" and found you to be an uninteresting dullard not worth the time of day.

D'ya think?

LOL

Highly doubtful.

Nervous Nellie types like you are always sitting around wringing their hands whining and complaining about one thing or another.

You want so desperately for America to collapse that you probably can't sleep at night.

Sorry Loser, but your girly-man is a one-termer.  Yes Nod LOL

CashWinner$

Mornin' Ridge...

Think you may be right about the one-termer...

No hater on our current prez, but a passing of the baton is a necessity!!

I watch w/anticipation as the GOP gets their "stuff" together (-:

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CashWinner$ on Jun 21, 2011

Mornin' Ridge...

Think you may be right about the one-termer...

No hater on our current prez, but a passing of the baton is a necessity!!

I watch w/anticipation as the GOP gets their "stuff" together (-:

Mornin' Cash,

I agree. Gotta see how it shakes out in the debates but I'm kinda liking Michele so far.

Definitely gotta git that guy out of there before he puts us in bankruptcy with his hare-brained schemes.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

I won a jackpot worth $70 million I'd be a bit disappointed about taking home only a small fraction of that.

you got that right.  I would be Mad  I'm with the first poster, i like it more when an individual wins.  I would never join a group--I won't even pick up dollar scratch offs for anyone Big Grin

CashWinner$

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 21, 2011

Mornin' Cash,

I agree. Gotta see how it shakes out in the debates but I'm kinda liking Michele so far.

Definitely gotta git that guy out of there before he puts us in bankruptcy with his hare-brained schemes.

Yeah, poor guy got a job that was a little outta his league..

Gotta admit; in these times...a tough task for any winner, however, as prez you gotta have more ideas than just 'how to spin a good speech'..

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story