Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

so you won 50 million dollars now what??

Topic closed. 70 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tiggs95.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

How would you clam your money

drive to the lottery office as fast as you can? [ 20 ]  [33.90%]
what and contact a good tax lawyer? [ 14 ]  [23.73%]
have a proxy clam it for you? [ 8 ]  [13.56%]
Hold on to for a little while and tell no one? [ 17 ]  [28.81%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2011, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Claim anonymously.  If your state doesn't allow it, play the lottery in a state that does.

I don't think it's practical for most folks. Most folks don't live near the border and wouldn't drive long distance just to buy lotteries.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7322 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2011, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

If all you think of are the negative aspects, why do you play?

I've wonder that too because ever time one of these topics begins, we always hear the downside and "advice" from people with no personal experience of hitting a large jackpot. Someone mentioned "finding a good lawyer", but where do we find a lawyer with experience in large jackpot claims?

My answer to the topic question is sign the back of the ticket, ask for advice from the real experts at the Lottery headquarters, and have it validated as soon as possible after I fully understand their process.

California
      United States
      Member #112364
      June 17, 2011
      661 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2011, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I've wonder that too because ever time one of these topics begins, we always hear the downside and "advice" from people with no personal experience of hitting a large jackpot. Someone mentioned "finding a good lawyer", but where do we find a lawyer with experience in large jackpot claims?

My answer to the topic question is sign the back of the ticket, ask for advice from the real experts at the Lottery headquarters, and have it validated as soon as possible after I fully understand their process.

ask for advice from the real experts at the Lottery headquarters

I think we could all agree with that Smiley

United States
        Member #112061
        June 9, 2011
        8776 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2011, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

ask for advice from the real experts at the Lottery headquarters

I think we could all agree with that Smiley

I have never hit a bid jackpot but my uncle hit a million dollars  and people were crawling out of the wood work wanting him to buy these  donate money to everybody and their brother   so you do need people to help protect you and the lottery office will give you list of people to help you

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2011, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

I have never hit a bid jackpot but my uncle hit a million dollars  and people were crawling out of the wood work wanting him to buy these  donate money to everybody and their brother   so you do need people to help protect you and the lottery office will give you list of people to help you

I'd tell em that I only discuss giving away money in person at my cabin in Beaver Creek, Yukon Territory and they could meet me up there to discuss it if they wanted to.

Course I don't have a cabin in Beaver Creek.

But I think they'd enjoy the ride.

I hear it's real scenic up there.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
            Northern Virginia
            United States
            Member #83350
            December 5, 2009
            1317 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2011, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

First, is this $50 million before or after taxes? 

If I did win such a large prize, I would take the annuity option and probably live life the same way I always have. I might even still keep working. The only exception is that I would have to learn how to protect my winnings from people pretending to need financial help.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: June 28, 2011, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

First, is this $50 million before or after taxes?

Green laughYou folks are serious business on these games!

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                Texas
                United States
                Member #92330
                June 5, 2010
                887 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2011, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Before or after taxes... who cares? 35% in taxes still gives you about $33 million, do you really have that big of differences between those two amounts?

I'd wait one to two weeks to claim it at the lottery headquarters. Between the time I realized I won and when the ticket gets claimed I will have had it verified at the local claims center, spoken to an attorney about getting a trust set up (who is also versed in taxes), discussed the deposit with my bank, shop around online for a new vehicle and also just try to relax and let it sink in that I will have that much money.

I wouldn't be in too big of a rush since it takes about 2 weeks for all money to be gathered by the state, but I'd also want to get the stuff out of the way, since I've been looking around on the internet for so long I think I've planned enough. The main factor in when I would claim is how long it takes for everything with the trust to be in order, especially if they give some of the winnings up front like some other lottery winners have had done.

California
                  United States
                  Member #112364
                  June 17, 2011
                  661 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2011, 1:11 am - IP Logged

Before or after taxes... who cares? 35% in taxes still gives you about $33 million, do you really have that big of differences between those two amounts?

All I need is 4 to 5 million dollars after taxes. That's more than enough to support me for the rest of my life.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2011, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

All I need is 4 to 5 million dollars after taxes. That's more than enough to support me for the rest of my life.

+1

I've said on here many times that $5 million after taxes is all I would really need from the lottery. Would give me a great yearly spending amount, even with taking out a big chunk due to a new house and vehicle.

NH
                      United States
                      Member #83352
                      December 5, 2009
                      223 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2011, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

I would hold a press conferance in a hat and glasses and tell the press that i'm 90% deaf(even though i'm not).  That way you never have to feel bad about not talking to anyone outside your house. If someone spots you as the winner and they try to talk to you,  you play deaf and walk away.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2011, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I would hold a press conferance in a hat and glasses and tell the press that i'm 90% deaf(even though i'm not).  That way you never have to feel bad about not talking to anyone outside your house. If someone spots you as the winner and they try to talk to you,  you play deaf and walk away.

tiggs would move to Tenn grow a beard won't take a shower for a year look and smell like a bum tiggs will fit right in with the rest of the clan and no one will be any wiser...casue he'll be in Tenn amongs all the dopes..

Pure luck

United States
                          Member #112061
                          June 9, 2011
                          8776 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2011, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

tiggs would move to Tenn grow a beard won't take a shower for a year look and smell like a bum tiggs will fit right in with the rest of the clan and no one will be any wiser...casue he'll be in Tenn amongs all the dopes..

Before i get to the lottery office i would stop and buy me a pair of bib overhauls ,black my teeth and then stop buy a local horse farm and clean some stalls

then when i walk in the lottery office looking  and smelling like   some one from the movie the hills have eyes  they will just give me my money and show me to the door

United States
                            Member #111186
                            May 20, 2011
                            344 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2011, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

I would drive to the lottery office as fast as I could!!!!!!!!

I'm a little impulsive sometimes.........

United States
                              Member #111186
                              May 20, 2011
                              344 Posts
                              Posted: June 29, 2011, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Claim it as-soon-as possible: Spend it as-fast-as possible: So Life can get Back to Normal! LOL

LOL (-: