Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery and Marriage Poll

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Mr-Smith.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you were single and won a lottery jackpot, would you marry someone after winning the prize?

YES [ 13 ]  [26.53%]
NO [ 36 ]  [73.47%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winners face numerous problems including divorce, lawsuits, news media, and greedy relatives.  For a single person who wins the lottery prize, marriage is a compromise to the control that winner has over the prize.  Not only that, but how do you know that the legions of men or women who run toward you are actually interested in you out of true love and not because of the money?  Not only that, but how do you know that the person would still be interested in you if you lost it all?

I thought about this topic about "The Lottery and Marriage" this morning.  What would you do in this situation?  Would you remain permanently single (a lifelong bachelor/bachelorette) or would you marry later in life after winning a lottery jackpot grand prize?  What are your thoughts on this situation?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't get married whether I won or not. I have enough problems already. I don't need a nagging whining woman ordering me around. Especially one that's attached to me in marriage. 

I want Hugh Hefner's lifestyle. Surrounded by 20 year olds, like a harem, in a Mansion and on my private plane or Yacht. Now he's the got the right idea. No arguing, no backtalk, no aggravation, just plenty of bottles of Bollinger Blanc de Noirs Vieilles Vignes Francaises 1997....(at 650 bucks a bottle) and lots of fun  with the wimins....Wink

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
      The Ville, FL
      United States
      Member #95879
      August 19, 2010
      1708 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Best to keep a secret until you know it's for the right reasons. Just like Eddie Murphy did in "Coming to America"...He didnt say sh*t till the end.

But I also like Jokers response. Hefner is the man

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2011, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I won't have that problem because I am happily marriedSmile

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40293 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2011, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

I am Happily married, but if I was single I would marry, I would also remind my betrothed that I have 3 brothers and 2 of them are Green Berets.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2011, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Chances are you can tell if someone want to be with you just because you won a lot of money.  If no one wanted to be with you before you won the money and winning the money didn't change you, then you shouldn't have to be told what's attracting them now.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2011, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Well you could always do what this man did:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/196888

For me, I don't see a huge interest in marriage and isn't something I want anyways, so I would probably say no. But it wouldn't be because I'd be scared of them using me simply for my money, but rather because that's my marriage plan as of now.

If I did meet someone that I cared that way about, chances are between the time we met and the time I wanted marriage it would be obvious about whether or not they wanted me for me or my money.

I think I'm gonna have to discard my vote on this one.

United States
                Member #111186
                May 20, 2011
                344 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2011, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

No.

When I wanna slip out the back door, I don't need any kind of "paperwork" slowin' me down. Wink

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2011, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't get married whether I won or not. I have enough problems already. I don't need a nagging whining woman ordering me around. Especially one that's attached to me in marriage. 

I want Hugh Hefner's lifestyle. Surrounded by 20 year olds, like a harem, in a Mansion and on my private plane or Yacht. Now he's the got the right idea. No arguing, no backtalk, no aggravation, just plenty of bottles of Bollinger Blanc de Noirs Vieilles Vignes Francaises 1997....(at 650 bucks a bottle) and lots of fun  with the wimins....Wink

It's all fun and games until someone's belly starts swelling. No No

LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2011, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

LOL

Ha ha....

There's an easy cure for that...

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                      Republic of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #57557
                      January 9, 2008
                      1095 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2011, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely 1000% no way in H E Double L will I marry again. 

I told my ex he ruined me for men for the rest of my life, and I did not mean that in a nice way.

My kids are grown and out of the house. I like life just the way it is. I come and go as I please, and the only one I have to consider is my dog. And she loves me no matter what. Lovies  If some gentleman wants the pleasure of my company, that's one thing. But he can keep his paws off my life and my bank accounts.

Winning a lottery is not going to change any of that or make marriage more appealing.

On the other hand, having a boy-toy around would not be out of the question.   Blue Angel

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Raven62's avatar - binary
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #17843
                        June 28, 2005
                        49642 Posts
                        Posted: July 1, 2011, 8:24 am - IP Logged

Lottery winners face numerous problems including divorce, lawsuits, news media, and greedy relatives.  For a single person who wins the lottery prize, marriage is a compromise to the control that winner has over the prize.  Not only that, but how do you know that the legions of men or women who run toward you are actually interested in you out of true love and not because of the money?  Not only that, but how do you know that the person would still be interested in you if you lost it all?

I thought about this topic about "The Lottery and Marriage" this morning.  What would you do in this situation?  Would you remain permanently single (a lifelong bachelor/bachelorette) or would you marry later in life after winning a lottery jackpot grand prize?  What are your thoughts on this situation?

Not To Worry: You'll never be in that situation! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40293 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2011, 8:33 am - IP Logged

LOL

Green laughWhay would we call baby JOKERS, ...JOKLETS?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2011, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Green laughWhay would we call baby JOKERS, ...JOKLETS?

I believe the baby-mamas would call them ... "Ca$h 4 Life". Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #22395
                              September 24, 2005
                              1583 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2011, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Prenuptial.