Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Lottery and Marriage Poll

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Mr-Smith.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

If you were single and won a lottery jackpot, would you marry someone after winning the prize?

YES [ 13 ]  [26.53%]
NO [ 36 ]  [73.47%]
Total Valid Votes [ 49 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  

United States
Member #59337
March 13, 2008
38 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2011, 10:06 am - IP Logged

My belovéd and I have an agreement.  If we win the lottery, I will retain sole control of disbursement of funds because I have bettter financial sense and a harder heart to turn away leeches.  Our unified PUBLIC front will be if our friends or someone from his family asks him for undue favor, he will tell them they have to approach me and I will say NO.  If someone from my family approaches me with the same request, I will tell them to ask him, and he will then say NO.

If we win the Mega tonight, I am throwing away my little daily pills that instant and we are going to have the baby we wouldn't be able to afford otherwise.  Yes, I know millions of people have babies when they can't afford it, but that's just not the way we would do it.

Not wishing against any of you who have tickets, but if you're not vested in the Mega tonight, I would appreciate good Karmic thoughts towards lil' ole me winning. 

Feadogger really wants a baby before her ovaries retire.  And to have the money to repair the damage and remove the mold from our water damaged house.

United States
    Member #59337
    March 13, 2008
    38 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2011, 11:13 am - IP Logged

ok after reading this i kinda sound like a weird biologically driven b*&ch but i need to explain. 

First, I had too many tabs open and I meant to respond to the other Marriage and Lottery thread.  Sorry.

Second, most all of our family and friends have even less than hubby and i so we share whatever resources we have with them. My house is known far and wide as "The Sanctuary" where everyone can escape their problems and get a good meal, sleep in a comfy bed with clean sheets, free counseling, Wi-Fi and sometimes a martini or two. We share what little we have despite some of them doing stuff like stealing stuff from our house, identity theft, etc.  And all the while my elderly mother is on me like a duck on a June Bug about it.  Any of y'all read Gone With the Wind?  I feel like Melanie Wilkes with an endless stream of refugees that I'm trying to care for with Scarlett screaming in my ear.

The few times in our lives we have needed help badly no one ever stepped up and offered it, and we're too proud to ask.

So no matter the smack I am talking here I will probably fold and still continue helping out my "friends" and family.  Human nature is so hard to fight sometimes.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2011, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

ok after reading this i kinda sound like a weird biologically driven b*&ch but i need to explain. 

First, I had too many tabs open and I meant to respond to the other Marriage and Lottery thread.  Sorry.

Second, most all of our family and friends have even less than hubby and i so we share whatever resources we have with them. My house is known far and wide as "The Sanctuary" where everyone can escape their problems and get a good meal, sleep in a comfy bed with clean sheets, free counseling, Wi-Fi and sometimes a martini or two. We share what little we have despite some of them doing stuff like stealing stuff from our house, identity theft, etc.  And all the while my elderly mother is on me like a duck on a June Bug about it.  Any of y'all read Gone With the Wind?  I feel like Melanie Wilkes with an endless stream of refugees that I'm trying to care for with Scarlett screaming in my ear.

The few times in our lives we have needed help badly no one ever stepped up and offered it, and we're too proud to ask.

So no matter the smack I am talking here I will probably fold and still continue helping out my "friends" and family.  Human nature is so hard to fight sometimes.

feardogger re: the last sentence. you can always adjust you're attitude,but not you're heart

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2011, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

ridge runner can't get married if he wins millions he's already met his quota for this life..

Pure luck

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2011, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes, the added context certainly helps. 

Kind of a rough road if family & "friends" will steal from you.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2011, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Green laughWhay would we call baby JOKERS, ...JOKLETS?

..........ROFL.............Green laugh

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4529 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2011, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Met only a handfull of folks that should be married, and I am not one of them.

I cringe to think that marriage is anything less then a commitment to drive the other person nuts! ANd some folks are dern right great at that task!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2011, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

No.

When I wanna slip out the back door, I don't need any kind of "paperwork" slowin' me down. Wink

Wink Yes Nod Naughty

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2011, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

ridge runner can't get married if he wins millions he's already met his quota for this life..

You can never say never tiggs.

Sometimes everything is fine then out of the blue they commence to naggin about little things like you havin a lot of wimmin friends and stayin out all night teachin em to dance and stuff and the next thing you know you're in court losing another house.

I got no toleration fer the naggin.

Some wimmins get real particular about certain things after you marry em.

Some of em just don't know when they already done hit the dadgum jackpot.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #111186
                    May 20, 2011
                    344 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2011, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

You can never say never tiggs.

Sometimes everything is fine then out of the blue they commence to naggin about little things like you havin a lot of wimmin friends and stayin out all night teachin em to dance and stuff and the next thing you know you're in court losing another house.

I got no toleration fer the naggin.

Some wimmins get real particular about certain things after you marry em.

Some of em just don't know when they already done hit the dadgum jackpot.

LMAO........"and the next thing you know you're in court losing another house".....  Green laugh

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                      Member #60535
                      April 21, 2008
                      460 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2011, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I have been happily unmarried for 11 years.  When I win I will claim it then get married, thereby changing my name and moving.  Seems like a reasonable solution....

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2011, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I have been happily unmarried for 11 years.  When I win I will claim it then get married, thereby changing my name and moving.  Seems like a reasonable solution....

or you can remain happily unmarried and just change your name.

Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #93503
                          July 1, 2010
                          453 Posts
                          Posted: July 4, 2011, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Nope, I would probably live a party lifestyle though.. which could lead to some trouble Wink

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                            Member #60535
                            April 21, 2008
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2011, 11:11 am - IP Logged

or you can remain happily unmarried and just change your name.

yeah but then you have to worry about the gift tax and all that jazz.  He's a good man, works 2 jobs and he has put up with me all this time, he deserves to share the money :)

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
                              Wisconsin
                              United States
                              Member #58835
                              February 27, 2008
                              148 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2011, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I have been married for 10 years...like most marriages some days its happily, other days--not so much...

I sometimes worry when we win the lottery my husband will leave me.  We married young(me 20, him 23), were each others' first EVERYTHING--sometimes I worry that he would want to go "sow his wild oats" once he has money....

If I was single I would probably get married.