Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do YOU know any lottery winners personally?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Set4life.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2011, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Everyone here on Lottery Post argues about what to do if you win a jackpot prize, but does anyone actually know someone who actually won a jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them?

I have read stories of jackpot winners and what happened to them over the years.  I don't know any jackpot winners personally, but I am curious about what happens to everyday people who win such a large prize of $1 million or larger.  Now that I think of it, this brings up an interesting question.  Do you know any winners of any jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them as a result of it?  I don't know any jackpot winners, but I am curious to know if any of you know any and what happened to them.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2011, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Everyone here on Lottery Post argues about what to do if you win a jackpot prize, but does anyone actually know someone who actually won a jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them?

I have read stories of jackpot winners and what happened to them over the years.  I don't know any jackpot winners personally, but I am curious about what happens to everyday people who win such a large prize of $1 million or larger.  Now that I think of it, this brings up an interesting question.  Do you know any winners of any jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them as a result of it?  I don't know any jackpot winners, but I am curious to know if any of you know any and what happened to them.

I do know someone. I wrote about this a few weeks ago. He's a fellow driver at work, but is no longer working at the moment due to back problems. He's a big dude and loves his Italian food...lol

Anyways, he won the Mass. lottery in the 80's, I forget when, either when it first came out, or shortly after. The JP wasn't that big at the time, but his wife picked the numbers which were birthday numbers. I believe the amount was 1.2 million. There wasn't a choice back then for lump sum I believe, so he recieved around 50 grand a year for 20 years...

His fortune didn't fare too well. His gay son got AIDS and eventually passed on, and the hospital bills took a good bite from the checks. Another family member without health insurance also became ill for reasons I forget. Also, his wife was addicted to Bingo halls...On top of all this, he had tax problems with the final check.

I've known him as a fellow driver at work for about 9 years now. In our converstations over the last few months, his take over the whole situation, especially with his wife's squandering of a significant portion of the money still haunts him. According to him, the wife was spending over 100 bucks a day at the Bingo halls, and never really won anything big enough to recoup her losses in the long run. He kicks himself everyday thinking about why he didn't at least put 10 grand of that check every year away in the bank for retirement. He does have a pension from his job, and owns his home free and clear, but he likes to play the Pick-4 a lot, so driving for an airport service a couple of days a week for extra income was necessary to fund his lottery cravings and some extra pocket money.

Since it was his wife who picked  and bought the winning lottery ticket, she had more influence on how the money was to be spent. He never actually used those words, but that's the message I got based on the description of the events. At one time I asked why he didn't try to save something, anything at all for a rainy day, and his reply to me was..."It was like being a kid in a candy store".....I still remember that line and it makes me laugh to this day. He's a real loveable kind a guy. He reminds me of the Good old  72 year old Italian Grandpa I never had...lol You couldn't get mad at him for anything. He just waddles around in his 400 pound body like a little lost kid. And he's ALWAYS off by one number when he plays the Pick-4 boxed....lol

Now he's at home with his wife awaiting back surgery. 

I'm moving off to California at the end of July, so I probably won't get to say goodbye to him.

Winning the lottery JP couldn't of happened to a nicer guy...

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40299 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2011, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes , actually I do. Thats all I'll say., no not me.Crying

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2011, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Shhhhhhh...  Wink

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2011, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

i might know someone, but i can't be sure.my cousin retired from his job(pipe fitter) early(age 55) and moved to a small far away (abt 10 hrs. behind the wheel)  town where he didn't know anyone.i never thought much abt. it til i read here on LP that people who hit the jp should do just that, the only way i'll ever know is if tells us, not gonna ask him.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2011, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Sully, I knew you could keep a secret......Wink

GiveFive's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
              NY State
              United States
              Member #92609
              June 10, 2010
              3692 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2011, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I do.  Actually, I know two people that won a lottery jackpot, but their stories arent as good as you might think.  Their stories arent bad stories, but neither person is wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.

The first guy was a former co-worker.  As best I can recall, he netted $72,000 playing NY's Take5.  The win came at a perfect time for him.  He had made an offer on a house, and it had been accepted. The closing had yet to happen when he won, so after he won, he called the bank and said that he wanted to reduce the amount he was borrowing.  He still lives in that house.

The second guy also won a NY Take5 jackpot.  He's a member of my family.  His JP was hit by three other players as well, so 4 people busted up a $68,000 jackpot.  My guy took home $11,000 after taxes.  He used the proceeds to pay for his wedding reception.

My brother knew a man who won multiple millions playing NY's Lotto.  It runs in my mind that it was 7 million, payable over 20 years. At that time, a lump sum option was not available.  The man who won, ran his own business, and my brother was a salesman who called upon that business regularly.  My brother called upon the business a few times, but the owner wasn't there, which my brother thought was a little unusual.  After a few months had passed, my brother made another sales call, and the owner was there. So my brother asked him where he'd been. The man said he had been in Florida, and that he had been going there every weekend.  The man could see the puzzled look on my brothers face, and explained he had won the lottery, but that he had to disappear because of all the unwanted attention. He had gotten a deluge of phone calls from financial planners, charities asking for a large donation, strangers with sad stories showing up at the business asking for money, offers in the mail with get rich quick schemes, even complete strangers in the grocery store walking up to him asking if they could touch him to get some of his good luck.  A few women 25 years younger than he was, threw themselves at this 71 year old widower.

About playing the lottery --  You will lose more than you win. Until you hit a jackpot.  Then everything changes!

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
                Member #81314
                October 16, 2009
                18973 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2011, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Yes, people do win the lottery, for real.  lol

I know a man, 6 months short of retirement, won $1.3 million on the Missouri lottery, he was a co-worker.  Lol  everyone thought it was me, lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I wish.

I know another person, a woman won $50,000.00 for life, on a scratch off, she took the lump sum payout, I don't know how she's doing now.

Good Luck.

P.S.  Great story @ Joker.

The Struggle is real!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #49980
                  February 21, 2007
                  34107 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2011, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I hope they are investing  there money.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                    Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #49980
                    February 21, 2007
                    34107 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2011, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Yes, people do win the lottery, for real.  lol

I know a man, 6 months short of retirement, won $1.3 million on the Missouri lottery, he was a co-worker.  Lol  everyone thought it was me, lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I wish.

I know another person, a woman won $50,000.00 for life, on a scratch off, she took the lump sum payout, I don't know how she's doing now.

Good Luck.

P.S.  Great story @ Joker.

I knew someone that won 100,00 off the stratch about 10 yrs. ago and got there House build from the ground.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8360 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2011, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

yes i know several people who won the lottery.

a guy i worked with hit a top teir scratch for 500,000 g's a couple yrs ago he was the last person i know that won. I dont know Bunky but i do know his relatives.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                        James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                        Florida
                        United States
                        Member #104435
                        January 14, 2011
                        2244 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2011, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Ive come across a couple of big winners often while scratching at the store. a regular who won $500K in 2006 is broke now, cause he blew the money on thousands of tickets over the years. another guy who won $100K only has a bicycle to his name ...

of course another regular at the publix near me won $4 million on the lotto. he was in the store every day playing heavy $300 a day but i have not seen him around much anymore. if i were him id quit personally.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

mt zion illinois
                          United States
                          Member #110549
                          May 6, 2011
                          351 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2011, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

I can't say I know any jackpot winners personally =(

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                            A long and winding road
                            United States
                            Member #17084
                            June 10, 2005
                            4523 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2011, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

In 1987 when BIG Lotto was the rage for multi state games, the jackpot had reached 4 million...back then it was a decent amount to retire on...The Lady won ( she was 68 years young and as sweet as apple pie!). I knew her because I worked with her. Rarely do I say that someone is deserving of such , its more a lucky streak,but for this fine lady it really was deserving for her, she had worked years and never asked for much. She is mighty careful who she mingles with and still double dates with Smith and Wesson :) GOtta love a lady that understands human nature.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2011, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

In 1987 when BIG Lotto was the rage for multi state games, the jackpot had reached 4 million...back then it was a decent amount to retire on...The Lady won ( she was 68 years young and as sweet as apple pie!). I knew her because I worked with her. Rarely do I say that someone is deserving of such , its more a lucky streak,but for this fine lady it really was deserving for her, she had worked years and never asked for much. She is mighty careful who she mingles with and still double dates with Smith and Wesson :) GOtta love a lady that understands human nature.

Ha ha ...reminds me of that joke...

An elderly woman was asked what her secret was for longevity. She replied..."3 men....Arthur Ritis, Ben Gay, and Jack Daniels".