Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do YOU know any lottery winners personally?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Set4life.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: July 15, 2011, 9:17 am - IP Logged

The only people I know that really play the lottery are my step-brother and then the people on here, so that kind of limits how many people I would know (especially since I doubt anyone on here who has hit a major jackpot would even let that out).

Speaking of "wondering what happened to them", I always think back to past winners I've read about and wonder what they're doing now. The major ones are Chris Shaw and Brad Duke. There was a rumor about Shaw getting arrested but I'm almost positive that's pure junk because you can't find any actual article about it, only in comments on different pages. He seemed like a really nice guy and one of those people you're glad to see win. Then Duke was talking about making investments to become a billionaire, so naturally one has to wonder if he did make those investments and if he regrets trying his hand and something he maybe wasn't too versed in. I think I came across a thread on here a while back asking about him, but nobody had anything to offer.

I think a book full of past lottery winners' stories, mainly about how they handled the first year after the win, would be interesting, ranging from those that lost it all to those that seem to be doing quite well (like Cynthia Stafford). Not only would it be good info for anyone that actually does win but it could be a fun read on a boring weekend.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: July 15, 2011, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I was confused at first too til I realized he was answering the thread's title question, not my post.

okay makes sense now,i really should't stay up that late, but there does seem to a lot of night owls on LP.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rukiafae's avatar - box
      NC
      United States
      Member #100192
      November 7, 2010
      125 Posts
      Posted: July 15, 2011, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

i have some cousin of some sort who won a rather large jackpot in TX maybe a decade or so ago???

i dont know him well, but according to my dad who speaks to him occasionally hes still doing just fine and not being obnoxious... lol

CutlassBob's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
        Harrison Township Michigan
        United States
        Member #90088
        April 21, 2010
        4265 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2011, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Yes i do and it could of been me. 

Back in the early 90's here in Michigan it was either Michigan Lotto or The Big Game a friend won. I was in the drug store when i saw a high school buddy. We were talking as we were in line at the register. I said to "Rusty" hey you go in front of me as i am only getting Lotto tickets and his arms were full of stuff. He kindly declined. I got 5 Ez picks and after me "Rusty" got 5 Ez picks. 

He won the jackpot. As far as i know he's doing well, no unfortunate circumstances happened.

Close as i've ever got!

Cutla$$Bob

"You can't handle the truth!" Nicholson.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3854 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2011, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Yes i do and it could of been me. 

Back in the early 90's here in Michigan it was either Michigan Lotto or The Big Game a friend won. I was in the drug store when i saw a high school buddy. We were talking as we were in line at the register. I said to "Rusty" hey you go in front of me as i am only getting Lotto tickets and his arms were full of stuff. He kindly declined. I got 5 Ez picks and after me "Rusty" got 5 Ez picks. 

He won the jackpot. As far as i know he's doing well, no unfortunate circumstances happened.

Close as i've ever got!

Cutla$$Bob

cutlass bob,used to have a car that looked very much like your avatar,think it was a 67 cutlass, go mi. detroit iron rules. todays cars are appliences

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

karinda's avatar - WINGS
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #108445
            March 25, 2011
            2855 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Everyone here on Lottery Post argues about what to do if you win a jackpot prize, but does anyone actually know someone who actually won a jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them?

I have read stories of jackpot winners and what happened to them over the years.  I don't know any jackpot winners personally, but I am curious about what happens to everyday people who win such a large prize of $1 million or larger.  Now that I think of it, this brings up an interesting question.  Do you know any winners of any jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them as a result of it?  I don't know any jackpot winners, but I am curious to know if any of you know any and what happened to them.

Yes, several, and so now my neighbors think that I'M lucky. Green laughKidding aside though, each situation was very different. I know that there have been discussions about this in other threads, but the publicity didn't serve any of these winners well, even within their own personal spheres. I feel that it's important for any winner, whether they've won 10,000 or 10,000,000, to be able to remain anonymous.  I learned more about the constant hounding that winners are bombarded with on this forum than I learned from any winners that I knew. But what I observed around them was a lot of hidden resentment from others. That has the potential to be even more harmful and lead to poor decisions with the winnings, than a complete stranger cold calling every day asking for money, imho.

Be well,

Karinda

"With every wish, there comes a curse." - Bruce Springsteen

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #64582
              September 1, 2008
              347 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2011, 9:42 am - IP Logged

You know, it's funny. I didn't think I knew a winner, then after reading some of these, I realized my sibling's in-law Uncle won - it was rumored. About 7 million in a NY lottery. That was a couple decades ago. They were really wise with it, gave some away, etc. Within the past few years, the money is now gone, but I think they were rich beforehand anyway, so they are still "fine".

Not too shabby.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

DAMDAM's avatar - animal bear.jpg
                Illinois,
                United States
                Member #99785
                October 31, 2010
                562 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2011, 10:11 am - IP Logged

I know a guy believe it or not has won little lotto twice...... 2008   2010  he is not trying to win he just  buy a ticket yes one ticket on Friday.  lol 

he a very nice person but not too good with money he spent its on material things it takes him about 2 months to spend all  the money.

DAM DAM DAM!!!!!!!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49674 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2011, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Everyone here on Lottery Post argues about what to do if you win a jackpot prize, but does anyone actually know someone who actually won a jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them?

I have read stories of jackpot winners and what happened to them over the years.  I don't know any jackpot winners personally, but I am curious about what happens to everyday people who win such a large prize of $1 million or larger.  Now that I think of it, this brings up an interesting question.  Do you know any winners of any jackpot prize ($1 million or larger) and what happened to them as a result of it?  I don't know any jackpot winners, but I am curious to know if any of you know any and what happened to them.

Successfully Remaining Anonymous after Winning a Jackpot: May be the reason: Why You Don't Know any Lottery Winners Personally!

Reading stories from others that do know Lottery Winners Personally: May be succedaneum for knowing one yourself! Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Hickory, NC
                    United States
                    Member #113297
                    July 6, 2011
                    110 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2011, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

yes, I recently met a woman who won a million last year... playing a $20 instant scratch off. She even showed me a $100 winning ticket and told me that she has another $500 winning ticket that she hasn't cashed yet...

Set4life's avatar - 2554
                      East Hampton, NY
                      United States
                      Member #41995
                      June 25, 2006
                      1137 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2011, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

My mom works for a guy who has won NY take 5 , about 2 years ago.  He tipped her $100 lol

$Group Hug$

FOR THE WIN!