Record EuroMillions winners in hiding after begging avalanche

Jul 18, 2011, 11:41 am (64 comments)

Euro Millions

It would be hard not to see this coming.

The Scottish couple who won £161 million in the EuroMillions lottery were in hiding yesterday — apparently meeting with their family to decide what to do with their astonishing windfall after receiving an avalanche of begging requests for money.

Neighbors of Colin and Chris Weir in the Scottish west coast town of Largs, Ayrshire, said they were having a heart-to-heart with their children, Carly, 24, and Jamie, 22.

It was suggested the lucky winners had flown out to Lanzarote in the Canary Islands after being inundated by people scrounging for money.

But others sources claimed Colin, 64, and Chris, 55, were in hiding in the Scottish Highlands with representatives from lottery company Camelot.

One local said, "We have not seen them since they were on the TV. No one knows for sure where they are but they mentioned needing time to chat about their win with their family

"Yet where would you go if you had all that money when your faces had been all over the papers and the TV?

"They are reported to have flown out of Glasgow en route to Lanzarote — but other people claim they are with the Camelot people. One thing is for sure though, they will have to come back here soon."

Royal Mail staff have already reported receiving hundreds of begging letters from people from across the UK simply addressed to "The Weirs, Largs".

The curtains have been drawn at their £180,000 home and their two cars were left parked in the driveway.

The couple realized late on Tuesday that they had won the EuroMillions jackpot, which had rolled over 14 times. They stayed up all night waiting to talk to lottery officials.

Colin and Chris decided to go public because they did not want to lie to friends and family. But as soon as they revealed their identities, the demands for money came flooding in.

Their neighbors still cannot believe they revealed themselves.

Retired taxi firm boss David Simpson, 82, said, "They are a lovely couple who have been great neighbors of mine for 25 years — but why on earth have they let the cat out of the bag?

"If they wanted to stay here in this street, they should have just kept quiet. Nobody had to know. Colin is a funny chap, he hardly ever goes out. He's a home bird. I can't even see him ever spending much of the money.

"But it's hard to believe he and his wife can even contemplate staying here now everyone knows they have got £161 million in the bank. They'll get pestered to death."

There was even a cheeky request from the vice-president of Colin's local football club [soccer team, for Americans], Largs Thistle. He suggested donating money to the club so they could clear their £5,000 debt and make offers for Argentinian superstars Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez.

Jim McGinty said, "A new stand would be lovely. We could name it the Colin Weir Stand — and he could have the No 1 spot in the car park.

"He could afford to buy Messi and Tevez — that would really bring in the crowds. We wish Colin and Christine all the very best."

Mr Weir hopes to buy a private box at Barcelona's stadium and Mrs Weir intends to go traveling and fly "at least business class".

Daily Express

Comments

Trillionaire

There's a lot to be said for keeping your huge lottey win as quiet as possible. Tell no one. Trust no one.

rukiafae's avatarrukiafae

Quote: Originally posted by Trillionaire on Jul 18, 2011

There's a lot to be said for keeping your huge lottey win as quiet as possible. Tell no one. Trust no one.

especially when you have the option to do so.

i wish them the best of luck....

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Well, the time they should have spent making decisions can now be added to the time they'll spend regretting the ones they made.

I just don't understand why they had to blurt everything out immediately.

I just hope the parasites who think they're entitled to some of their wealth don't drive them to an early grave with their begging.

We have our own problems with people (libs) who think they're entitled to other people's money in this country, so we can relate.

rukiafae's avatarrukiafae

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 18, 2011

Well, the time they should have spent making decisions can now be added to the time they'll spend regretting the ones they made.

I just hope the parasites who think they're entitled to some of their wealth don't drive them to an early grave with their begging.

We have our own problems with people (libs) who think they're entitled to other people's money in this country, so we can relate.

amen to all of the above...

hsvscubaski

They can alwayes say go to hell

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by hsvscubaski on Jul 18, 2011

They can alwayes say go to hell

or talk to my lawyer.

As florida has no option of remaining anonymous I thought that would be the best thing to do was to say my lawyer and accountants have everything figured out to where I have a comfortable monthly allowance and no access to extra cash flow.

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

They didn't have to lie to their friends and family.  They could have told them, and even if they in turn spilled it to a few people, that would be a far cry from all the begging letters from strangers far and wide that they attracted by putting it in the media.  Methinks they should have thought about this for just a few more days.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Lurkingwell the most important lesson has now been learned and thar paying the piper for thar mistake

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Wow!!! they should of listen to the last winner he advised them to remain

anonymous....

"Meanwhile, a man who won £26.1m in a family syndicate in January 2010, has urged the Euromillions winner to stay anonymous."

"George Sturt, 77, who split the money four ways with his three children, said he had had hundreds of begging letters since he went public and regrets doing so now."

https://www.lotterypost.com/news/234047

RJOh's avatarRJOh

They can always change their address to "unknown" that way the local postal service can stamp their mail

"return to sender, address unknown"

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Royal Mail staff have already reported receiving hundreds of begging letters from people from across the UK simply addressed to "The Weirs, Largs".

That's just rude. Hit With Stick

thegrrrr8est

How bizarre.  You don't see people crowding Donald Trump begging for money. Or Oprah. Or ANY other wealthy person.  I've got relatives who are millionaires and it wouldn't occur to me to ask them for money. 

When I play the lottery and friends ask if I'll split it with them if I win, I always answer -- only a little tongue-in-cheek -- "No way. When I hit the lottery I'm dumping you losers and getting me some new friends who aren't such mooches."

lucki*11

Lucki*11 of Oceanside, CA has a question:  Concerning "Fantasy 5" and "Mega Millions", where can one find a table of info where it gives them the breakdown of various

possible wins? Example: Fantasy 5 has five numbers; one number out of the possible five, pays how much? Two out of the possible five, pays how much? Three out of

the possible five, pays how much? ... and so on.  Is there any such table of information?  "Thanks" in advance to the one who answers my question and good luck 2U!  Lucki*11Sun Smiley

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Who could'a seen this coming ........................

................ I mean .......................................

it'a not like there have been stories like this before .......................

Crazy

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Jul 18, 2011

Who could'a seen this coming ........................

................ I mean .......................................

it'a not like there have been stories like this before .......................

Crazy

for those who only play when it reaches 100 million (you're out there and you know who you are, there are many of you), this it what greed get you. the minority of us who are content with a 1-10 million dollar hit (only found in individual state lotteries) will fly under the radar and will not be hounded by people for a paltry say 4.5 million dollar hit. sure, continue to play those multi-state megajackpots but don't turn your nose up at the smaller ones...

Quote: Originally posted by lucki*11 on Jul 18, 2011

Lucki*11 of Oceanside, CA has a question:  Concerning "Fantasy 5" and "Mega Millions", where can one find a table of info where it gives them the breakdown of various

possible wins? Example: Fantasy 5 has five numbers; one number out of the possible five, pays how much? Two out of the possible five, pays how much? Three out of

the possible five, pays how much? ... and so on.  Is there any such table of information?  "Thanks" in advance to the one who answers my question and good luck 2U!  Lucki*11Sun Smiley

Have you tried looking on the back of the playslip?

Their websites may have that info as well. Wink

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

faber I agree with playing your state lotto game. However there are some states that do not have a lotto game not calling any states out (Oklahoma) so all we have is the multi-state games. Trust me if Oklahoma had a state lotto game I would be all on it like white on rice....Wink

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

Stay low key. Stay out of the lime light. Use the winning money wisely and you'll be a successful lottery winner. Winning is only half of the challenge, keeping the money you've won is the other half.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by faber98 on Jul 18, 2011

for those who only play when it reaches 100 million (you're out there and you know who you are, there are many of you), this it what greed get you. the minority of us who are content with a 1-10 million dollar hit (only found in individual state lotteries) will fly under the radar and will not be hounded by people for a paltry say 4.5 million dollar hit. sure, continue to play those multi-state megajackpots but don't turn your nose up at the smaller ones...

Actually this is about the greed of envy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having great wealth is not greed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being ashamed to win a large amount constitutes Pseudo-intellectual nonsense !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying

imagine's avatarimagine

I think they knew it would come out, and they are right. 

Just like the West family that won the big 300 mil powerball jackpot.  The whole town was talking, becasue the kids told their friends.

Part of the reason they were so open to the press.

They should have at waited for it to come out, after they had the money and could think where to go.

Shame they had to run like criminals.

I imagine this happens more than we know.

Mark Zuckerburg had to take out a restaining order on one of his regular beggars.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

" he could have the no. spot in the car park." yea where all the beggers will be waiting for him.should have kept it quiet.prolly getting mail from all over the world. don't read it , use for fireplace kindling. not to worry Colin i won't be asking for anything, but there's billions on the planet that think their entitled to apeice of everyone's action.Mail For You

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Jul 18, 2011

They didn't have to lie to their friends and family.  They could have told them, and even if they in turn spilled it to a few people, that would be a far cry from all the begging letters from strangers far and wide that they attracted by putting it in the media.  Methinks they should have thought about this for just a few more days.

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by imagine on Jul 18, 2011

I think they knew it would come out, and they are right. 

Just like the West family that won the big 300 mil powerball jackpot.  The whole town was talking, becasue the kids told their friends.

Part of the reason they were so open to the press.

They should have at waited for it to come out, after they had the money and could think where to go.

Shame they had to run like criminals.

I imagine this happens more than we know.

Mark Zuckerburg had to take out a restaining order on one of his regular beggars.

Happens often to TV personalities, too.

Rebecca Schaeffer and David Letterman come to mind.

Fame & fortune seem to attract the whackjobs. Hiding Behind Computer

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jul 18, 2011

yea, i wonder if a big win temporarily creates a "cult of personality" if you will ?

myturn's avatarmyturn

I told you so!

How could they have been so naive? It is a lesson to all, DON'T GO PUBLIC! It will make your life a nightmare.

myturn's avatarmyturn

"I checked them three or four times before going back downstairs to find Colin. He knew immediately by my face and tone that something was up.

"After checking many times together, the news gradually hit us. The Camelot line was closed for the night but we couldn't sleep.

"We sat up all night and saw dawn come round the next morning - we were tickled pink.

"I even had a glass of white wine which is something I normally only do at Christmas. It really is unbelievable."

They are not so "tickled pink" now!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by myturn on Jul 18, 2011

I told you so!

How could they have been so naive? It is a lesson to all, DON'T GO PUBLIC! It will make your life a nightmare.

You don't always get that option of whether to go public or not.

Some lotteries consider their hoopla more important than anyone's privacy, security or safety.

You don't always get that option of whether to go public or not.

Some lotteries consider their hoopla more important than anyone's privacy, security or safety.

marketing, they don't care what the result is as long as it makes more sales.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

umm they just won $250 million, they dont have to come back.  they dont need anything  from their old life. cars clothes, kitchen pots n pans?  ohh maybe a pet they should  collect. but  who cares  anymore. its all poor people junk.

sully16's avatarsully16

Hope nobody takes it to far and hurts them, Hire some body guards.

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Jul 19, 2011

Hope nobody takes it to far and hurts them, Hire some body guards.

Roll Eyes wishfull thinking ........ but then so is a reliable high speed internet connection

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I personally know a guy who hit for $1M last week. I saw him on the local lottery website and my jaw dropped. To the floor.

But I am not the kind of guy to beg. Matter of fact, I wont even ask him for one red cent.

The UK winners need to just ignore all. Move to another city and focus on their family needs first. And even the family cannot be allowed to be stupid just because there is new found wealth. I am praying that we dont hear the usual horrow stories of lottery winners.

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Jul 19, 2011

I personally know a guy who hit for $1M last week. I saw him on the local lottery website and my jaw dropped. To the floor.

But I am not the kind of guy to beg. Matter of fact, I wont even ask him for one red cent.

The UK winners need to just ignore all. Move to another city and focus on their family needs first. And even the family cannot be allowed to be stupid just because there is new found wealth. I am praying that we dont hear the usual horrow stories of lottery winners.

we'll hear more about the scottish couple soon enough I reckon .....Roll Eyes

but mean while I need to run to the store and get more popcorn and soda Big Grin

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

who we wont hear about is the person or couple who just won the last euro millions draw, for £20m .

they will live in obscurity forever. with 20 mill,!!!

enjoy your good fortune mystery winner.,

dk1421's avatardk1421

Quote: Originally posted by thegrrrr8est on Jul 18, 2011

How bizarre.  You don't see people crowding Donald Trump begging for money. Or Oprah. Or ANY other wealthy person.  I've got relatives who are millionaires and it wouldn't occur to me to ask them for money. 

When I play the lottery and friends ask if I'll split it with them if I win, I always answer -- only a little tongue-in-cheek -- "No way. When I hit the lottery I'm dumping you losers and getting me some new friends who aren't such mooches."

Actually, Oprah says she gets tons of mail a day from people begging for money. "I need $500 for my mother's life-saving surgery - that's all!" - which is why I think she started giving some money away the last few years.

In fact, she admitted she wrote to Mary Tyler Moore, begging for help herself!

They all get it, they just don't announce it because then they'll all get more.

BTW - I got that info from the last time I watched Oprah, which was ...... 15 years ago?

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Jul 23, 2011

Actually, Oprah says she gets tons of mail a day from people begging for money. "I need $500 for my mother's life-saving surgery - that's all!" - which is why I think she started giving some money away the last few years.

In fact, she admitted she wrote to Mary Tyler Moore, begging for help herself!

They all get it, they just don't announce it because then they'll all get more.

BTW - I got that info from the last time I watched Oprah, which was ...... 15 years ago?

OK, so these ppl. develope a thick skin? never watched.

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

There are two kinds of jackpot winners...the ones who remained anonymous and the ones that wish they had.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by time*treat on Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, but that idiot Letterman deserves it, LOL.

I wonder how much money he'd have to have before he got those goofy lookin' teeth fixed?

He looks like he just got off the last bus from Palookaville.

Maybe he attracts weirdos cuz he is one himself.

byng

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Jul 19, 2011

umm they just won $250 million, they dont have to come back.  they dont need anything  from their old life. cars clothes, kitchen pots n pans?  ohh maybe a pet they should  collect. but  who cares  anymore. its all poor people junk.

Idiots. Was my first thought then little miss cynical started to wonder if fleeing the country was a calculated decision. Let everyone know, then take off. Bit hard to get a hand out when no-one can contact you. If not I guess the lesson is when you win that much, DON'T have a glass or two of wine. Sad Cheers

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on Jul 23, 2011

OK, so these ppl. develope a thick skin? never watched.

They don't have to. They have scores of people working for them who open all their mail and sort it all before they even see a single envelope. Oprah probably has a whole staff of people who's sole job is to sort through the gimmie-gimmies.

mskitty5

So what's wrong with helping your neighbors......good Lord even if you give half to your children you couldn't spend that money before you did if you tried. Just park it in a good mutual fund and you'll be happy for life.....and just maybe so will your family and neighbors!!!!!!ENJOY !!!!!Liz from New York

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by mskitty5 on Jul 28, 2011

So what's wrong with helping your neighbors......good Lord even if you give half to your children you couldn't spend that money before you did if you tried. Just park it in a good mutual fund and you'll be happy for life.....and just maybe so will your family and neighbors!!!!!!ENJOY !!!!!Liz from New York

So what's wrong with helping your neighbors......

There's nothing at all wrong with helping your neighbors.

If you want to.

Delta Draw

Oh yea, we have problems in this country with people who
think they are entitled to live under another flag and NO form of government
i.e. the tea baggers and the Gadsden flag
so they can live the way they want, Scott free. Talk about liberals wanting free all the time
and these freeloaders want to live tax free under another flag. They should
move: Love it or leave it! America! Take your personal problems elsewhere, like Cairo.

The way they talk you would think they are the uber-rich
putt’n on the dog and living in luxurious tax shelters! Dreamers! I can see why
taxing the rich is finding so much opposition, more people want the same privilege,
not equality. They want entitlements we pay for.

There is only one flag of this nation and one pledge. The Gadsden
has no nation, no Constitution and no rights. It is a military flag carried by the first
marines before we became a nation. Any other flag sworn to or flown today is sedition while enjoying the freedoms
those men died for with hope to ensure a new nation would be born with its own flag of sovereignty.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Delta Draw on Jul 28, 2011

Oh yea, we have problems in this country with people who
think they are entitled to live under another flag and NO form of government
i.e. the tea baggers and the Gadsden flag
so they can live the way they want, Scott free. Talk about liberals wanting free all the time
and these freeloaders want to live tax free under another flag. They should
move: Love it or leave it! America! Take your personal problems elsewhere, like Cairo.

The way they talk you would think they are the uber-rich
putt’n on the dog and living in luxurious tax shelters! Dreamers! I can see why
taxing the rich is finding so much opposition, more people want the same privilege,
not equality. They want entitlements we pay for.

There is only one flag of this nation and one pledge. The Gadsden
has no nation, no Constitution and no rights. It is a military flag carried by the first
marines before we became a nation. Any other flag sworn to or flown today is sedition while enjoying the freedoms
those men died for with hope to ensure a new nation would be born with its own flag of sovereignty.

I think after reading these quotes by Thomas Jefferson that you will agree, Delta Dippy, Thomas Jefferson would have told you to blow it out your ass.

Quotes - Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764. That was 230 years ago. -Thomas Jefferson

"The constitutions of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; 
that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property and freedom 
of the press." Thomas Jefferson 

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.-Thomas Jefferson

Power is not alluring to pure minds.-Thomas Jefferson

Most bad government has grown out of too much government.-Thomas Jefferson

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?-Thomas Jefferson

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread.-Thomas Jefferson

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.-Thomas Jefferson

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.-Thomas Jefferson

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.-Thomas Jefferson

I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.-Thomas Jefferson

A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.-Thomas Jefferson

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.-Thomas Jefferson

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now.

Delta Draw

Maybe he would, that old slave-raper.

I don’t think so. He was a smooth talker and a liar and there was no truth in the man's being.

T.J. knew the difference between the Gadsden
and the Stars and stripes. You want to live like a slave owner and have your
first born from a slave (don’t tell me she was free to decide on that) and then
speak of freedom’s virtues? Freedom for
who? For all? You are delusional in your
historical and political bent.

As B.F. would say, you are touching yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings

I know as well as any that the estate of Jefferson never
passed to a slave who mothered six of his children. Talk about running out on the family. It was
Jefferson’s daughter who freed his slave squeeze but only AFTER his death. DNA has proven he was a liar and I do not
trust lairs who talk a good line no matter how many thumbs he bumped or hands
he glad-handed.

Pattern your moral character on the likes of a mason like Jefferson
and you are a worthless man who talks with a split tongue. Was it not he who
suggested the thirteen stars on our currency to honor the European banks that were
behind the new Atlantis? And most are lead to believe they represented our
first colonies, how quaint. The rich always make themselves out to be such
benefactors when they themselves are oppressive.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Even poor folks don't want a bunch  of beggars as neighbors, sounds like it time to move to a new neighborhood.  Besides these beggars weren't from their neighborhood if they addressed their requests to the lottery winners in that town.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Delta Dippy,

What a typical liberal democrat you are, also known as a hypocrite.

You want to obfuscate the issue with the typical liberal ploy of tangential meandering to change the direction of the topic to something more defensible for yourself.

Ain't happening.

And lucky for you, because then you would have to defend being a democrat when it was the democrats who held all the slaves in the south in those days and it was the Republicans who freed them.

But I realize you hate our Founding Fathers and the Constitution they wrote and the flag and everything this country stands for. That's why you love Obama so much, cuz he feels the same way.

So just stop your hypocritical lying about that anyway.

Take your meds.

Do it now.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Ah, the sound of crickets...

Oh well, he/she will be back when the mania starts again.

And I have things to do.

Delta Draw

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jul 28, 2011

Delta Dippy,

What a typical liberal democrat you are, also known as a hypocrite.

You want to obfuscate the issue with the typical liberal ploy of tangential meandering to change the direction of the topic to something more defensible for yourself.

Ain't happening.

And lucky for you, because then you would have to defend being a democrat when it was the democrats who held all the slaves in the south in those days and it was the Republicans who freed them.

But I realize you hate our Founding Fathers and the Constitution they wrote and the flag and everything this country stands for. That's why you love Obama so much, cuz he feels the same way.

So just stop your hypocritical lying about that anyway.

Take your meds.

Do it now.

You are a small man. Jefferson may be a historical hero but
he would not go to bat when it came to freedom for the woman who gave birth to
his own children. Now you claim that I am not a lover of this country because I
documented that Jefferson was a bold-faced lair, rapist and the European
baker’s friend. You should pick your heroes more carefully. I do not consider a
liar and a rapist of slaves to be a hero no matter how much he or others wish
to rewrite historical facts. In fact, I love this country much more than
yourself because I can look at history strait in the face, unlike yourself.

Jefferson himself obfuscated the facts on who parented the slaves (his children) born
under his estate. Sally Hemings would only return to this country from France
(where she would be a free person) to live as a slave in the states on the
condition her children would be FREE. His own children would otherwise be his
SLAVES. Now, how can you worship such an as a great man, when freedom
according to him was with respect to persons? You are an entitleist like Jefferson as long as the
current flows your way. His own slave was the mother of six children, and,... did
his great flowing words of freedom apply to them? His wife? Any man who would
take a woman to be his wife is honorable and Jefferson did not do the honorable
thing. He raped his slave and she was a teen-ager. Today, people like that get imprisoned.. She was introduced as a servant in public.

You quote a rapist and call him great. I do not understand
why such an act is noble or patriotic. You likely vote for liars who appeal to
your ethics. You are what is wrong with this country as much as Jefferson was
wrong. Truth is always inconvenient to liars because it does not reside in
them.

I do not think I would want any of my fellow country men and women to follow the likes of Jefferson. Actions speak louder than words. I would rather see a living  epistle than quoted  one any day. That is the difference between Jefferson with yourself and I. Your virtues are wanting.

Jefferson did not live by the very Constiution he penned. Look closely where he changed the word subjects to citizens. Of course, many now know that freedom for all would be a long ways away from the likes of our founding fathers. And look at the capitol dome, there is George Washington, a pot smoking slave raper painted like a diety. You don't like history because you cannot face it like a grown man.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Listen Dippy,

You can quote your revisionist history all you want and even revise it yourself if you care too but it's all been debunked before and I actually would have given you credit for being smart enough to know better than to believe everything liberal revisionists write up until now.

I could make up all kinds of fairytales too if that's what you're into.

Would you prefer that I went and wrote something on Wikipedia so you could come back and quote it as gospel truth?

You are incredibly gullible and stupid.

Incredibly.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Delta Draw on Jul 28, 2011

You are a small man. Jefferson may be a historical hero but
he would not go to bat when it came to freedom for the woman who gave birth to
his own children. Now you claim that I am not a lover of this country because I
documented that Jefferson was a bold-faced lair, rapist and the European
baker’s friend. You should pick your heroes more carefully. I do not consider a
liar and a rapist of slaves to be a hero no matter how much he or others wish
to rewrite historical facts. In fact, I love this country much more than
yourself because I can look at history strait in the face, unlike yourself.

Jefferson himself obfuscated the facts on who parented the slaves (his children) born
under his estate. Sally Hemings would only return to this country from France
(where she would be a free person) to live as a slave in the states on the
condition her children would be FREE. His own children would otherwise be his
SLAVES. Now, how can you worship such an as a great man, when freedom
according to him was with respect to persons? You are an entitleist like Jefferson as long as the
current flows your way. His own slave was the mother of six children, and,... did
his great flowing words of freedom apply to them? His wife? Any man who would
take a woman to be his wife is honorable and Jefferson did not do the honorable
thing. He raped his slave and she was a teen-ager. Today, people like that get imprisoned.. She was introduced as a servant in public.

You quote a rapist and call him great. I do not understand
why such an act is noble or patriotic. You likely vote for liars who appeal to
your ethics. You are what is wrong with this country as much as Jefferson was
wrong. Truth is always inconvenient to liars because it does not reside in
them.

I do not think I would want any of my fellow country men and women to follow the likes of Jefferson. Actions speak louder than words. I would rather see a living  epistle than quoted  one any day. That is the difference between Jefferson with yourself and I. Your virtues are wanting.

Jefferson did not live by the very Constiution he penned. Look closely where he changed the word subjects to citizens. Of course, many now know that freedom for all would be a long ways away from the likes of our founding fathers. And look at the capitol dome, there is George Washington, a pot smoking slave raper painted like a diety. You don't like history because you cannot face it like a grown man.

Revisionist history, Delta Draw.  Dupe Alert

Those times were so far different from today that many like you fail to understand what life was truely like. You attempt wrongly to apply today's standards to an era that existed 200 years ago and more. In Jefferson's day, true freedom was in its infancy, born with the Constitution of The United States of America. The Constitution was born of the ideas of the Magna Carta, written some 500 years prior. Regarding slavery: Africans were not the only slaves, and Euro-Americans were not the only slave holders. Slavery still exists today in Africa, the Middle East, and the Far East.

w w w . liberyty1 . o r g / defense . h t m <-- not sure if I can post links or not. Sorry Todd, don't be mad at me. Big Grin Angel

On the origins of the story of Jefferson and Sally Hemmings:

"One of the victims of the Sedition Act [enacted during John Adams' presidency] who was pardoned by President Jefferson in 1801 was James Thomson Callendar, a Republican journalist who had been an unrelenting critic of the Federalists during the last presidential campaign. But Callendar wanted more than a pardon: later that year he plainly told James Madison, the new Secretary of State, that he hoped to be appointed postmaster in Richmond, Virginia."

"When it became clear that he was not going to be offered any government post, the embittered Callendar sought revenge by going to work for a Federalist newspaper in Richmond. In March 1802, he began publishing various charges against Republican leaders in Congress and certain members of the Cabinet. By autumn he was training his guns on the President [Thomas Jefferson]."

". . . True to his style, he fabricated a series of scandalous stories about Jefferson's personal life, the ugliest of which charged him with having fathered several children by a mulatto slave at Monticello, a young woman named Sally Hemmings. . . . He included many lurid details of this supposed illicit relationship . . . even inventing the names of the children whom [she] had never born. [see, Malone,  Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, pp. 206-23]."

"Other Federalist editors took up these accusations with glee, and Callendar's stories spread like wildfire from one end of the country to the other -- sometimes expanded and embellished by subsequent writers. [almost every scandalous story about Jefferson, both then and now, can be traced to Callendar (who drowned himself in the James River in 1803)]."

With respect to slaves, Jefferson actually did more during his life against slavery than most other men of his time -- and deserves the credit for the principles in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal" -- which in the hands of Lincoln and Divine Providence, eventually freed the slaves -- at a great price of human blood in the Civil War.

Jefferson's anti-slavery efforts include:

1. Introduction of a bill in 1769 the Virginia legislature to abolish the importation of slaves into that state.

2. Inclusion of an anti-slavery provision in his original draft of the Declaration of Independence in 1776.

3. Initiated the Congressional ban on slavery in all federal lands in 1784 (his effort to extend the act to the 13 states lost by only one vote).

4. In 1808, as President, he signed into law a bill banning the slave trade with Africa.

While Jefferson did not free all of his slaves on his death (as did Washington), a law passed in Virginia in 1806 required that the legislature pass a special bill that would attest to the exemplary behavior of each slave to be freed. If freed, the slave had to leave the state without his or her family. Jefferson tried unsuccessfully to get this law changed. Further, Jefferson trained his slaves in skills that would be useful when they were free. He believed that to free them first would be irresponsible -- since they would be homeless and without family.

As to your accusation that George Washington was a rapist, that is shear speculation by people like you who would rather believe the worst things they read rather than do any real research themselves. To claim that Washington and Jefferson were rapists is, again, speculation by people who more than likely write for National Inquirer type tabloid magazines and newspapers who print sensationalist untruths for profit or unseemly agenda.

The real question here begs to be asked.... what does this all have to do with a British couple winning millions in a lottery and having to hide because all the moochers out there think they, too, won the lottery?

What?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jul 28, 2011

Revisionist history, Delta Draw.  Dupe Alert

Those times were so far different from today that many like you fail to understand what life was truely like. You attempt wrongly to apply today's standards to an era that existed 200 years ago and more. In Jefferson's day, true freedom was in its infancy, born with the Constitution of The United States of America. The Constitution was born of the ideas of the Magna Carta, written some 500 years prior. Regarding slavery: Africans were not the only slaves, and Euro-Americans were not the only slave holders. Slavery still exists today in Africa, the Middle East, and the Far East.

w w w . liberyty1 . o r g / defense . h t m <-- not sure if I can post links or not. Sorry Todd, don't be mad at me. Big Grin Angel

On the origins of the story of Jefferson and Sally Hemmings:

"One of the victims of the Sedition Act [enacted during John Adams' presidency] who was pardoned by President Jefferson in 1801 was James Thomson Callendar, a Republican journalist who had been an unrelenting critic of the Federalists during the last presidential campaign. But Callendar wanted more than a pardon: later that year he plainly told James Madison, the new Secretary of State, that he hoped to be appointed postmaster in Richmond, Virginia."

"When it became clear that he was not going to be offered any government post, the embittered Callendar sought revenge by going to work for a Federalist newspaper in Richmond. In March 1802, he began publishing various charges against Republican leaders in Congress and certain members of the Cabinet. By autumn he was training his guns on the President [Thomas Jefferson]."

". . . True to his style, he fabricated a series of scandalous stories about Jefferson's personal life, the ugliest of which charged him with having fathered several children by a mulatto slave at Monticello, a young woman named Sally Hemmings. . . . He included many lurid details of this supposed illicit relationship . . . even inventing the names of the children whom [she] had never born. [see, Malone,  Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805, pp. 206-23]."

"Other Federalist editors took up these accusations with glee, and Callendar's stories spread like wildfire from one end of the country to the other -- sometimes expanded and embellished by subsequent writers. [almost every scandalous story about Jefferson, both then and now, can be traced to Callendar (who drowned himself in the James River in 1803)]."

With respect to slaves, Jefferson actually did more during his life against slavery than most other men of his time -- and deserves the credit for the principles in the Declaration of Independence that "all men are created equal" -- which in the hands of Lincoln and Divine Providence, eventually freed the slaves -- at a great price of human blood in the Civil War.

Jefferson's anti-slavery efforts include:

1. Introduction of a bill in 1769 the Virginia legislature to abolish the importation of slaves into that state.

2. Inclusion of an anti-slavery provision in his original draft of the Declaration of Independence in 1776.

3. Initiated the Congressional ban on slavery in all federal lands in 1784 (his effort to extend the act to the 13 states lost by only one vote).

4. In 1808, as President, he signed into law a bill banning the slave trade with Africa.

While Jefferson did not free all of his slaves on his death (as did Washington), a law passed in Virginia in 1806 required that the legislature pass a special bill that would attest to the exemplary behavior of each slave to be freed. If freed, the slave had to leave the state without his or her family. Jefferson tried unsuccessfully to get this law changed. Further, Jefferson trained his slaves in skills that would be useful when they were free. He believed that to free them first would be irresponsible -- since they would be homeless and without family.

As to your accusation that George Washington was a rapist, that is shear speculation by people like you who would rather believe the worst things they read rather than do any real research themselves. To claim that Washington and Jefferson were rapists is, again, speculation by people who more than likely write for National Inquirer type tabloid magazines and newspapers who print sensationalist untruths for profit or unseemly agenda.

The real question here begs to be asked.... what does this all have to do with a British couple winning millions in a lottery and having to hide because all the moochers out there think they, too, won the lottery?

What?

Great post Piaceri but Delta Dippy would never believe it because it doesn't agree with how he/she/it wants history to be.

He/she/it likes the fairytales a lot better cuz the dancin' boys win in the end.

Piaceri

Ridge: Would you prefer that I went and wrote something on Wikipedia so you could come back and quote it as gospel truth?

Its amazing the things you find on wikipedia that people take as gospel truth. Anyone can start a wikipedia page, and anyone can edit a wikipedia page. At the bottom of the page linked above, you will find this:

Did you know that you can edit this page?

Edit this page

My daughter is a published writer, and a fan wrote a wiki page for her novel series. A fan. Cool, but it says a lot about wikipedia.

Piaceri

Great post Piaceri but Delta Dippy would never believe it because it doesn't agree with how he/she/it wants history to be.

He/she/it likes the fairytales a lot better cuz the dancin' boys win in the end.

Thanks Ridge. I know, but sometimes it just needs to be said. Thumbs Up

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Jul 28, 2011

Ridge: Would you prefer that I went and wrote something on Wikipedia so you could come back and quote it as gospel truth?

Its amazing the things you find on wikipedia that people take as gospel truth. Anyone can start a wikipedia page, and anyone can edit a wikipedia page. At the bottom of the page linked above, you will find this:

Did you know that you can edit this page?

Edit this page

My daughter is a published writer, and a fan wrote a wiki page for her novel series. A fan. Cool, but it says a lot about wikipedia.

I know, and that's why I mentioned it to her/him/it.

A lot of people (like Delta Dipsh*t) take it as Gospel and don't realize anybody can write anything they want on wikipedia. And they do.

Another one is SNOPES. They like to take that as the ultimate in truth and legitimacy when it's actually just a liberal husband and wife team with an agenda and a lot of time on their hands.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Delta Dippy has run away again so I will quote him/her/it to make sure his/her/it's side is heard.

"God Bless President Obama because he is a man who stands in
the gap between our wholeness and certain destruction. He knows freedom and is
fighting to keep us free no matter how much the republicans want to force us
into slavery and a new form of servitude."     

DOGSTYLE!

"I'm me again--and it'll do."
--Catwoman

CrazyGreen laughHippyLOL

Piaceri

Delta Dippy has run away again so I will quote him/her/it to make sure his/her/it's side is heard.

"God Bless President Obama because he is a man who stands in
the gap between our wholeness and certain destruction. He knows freedom and is
fighting to keep us free no matter how much the republicans want to force us
into slavery and a new form of servitude."     

DOGSTYLE!

"I'm me again--and it'll do."
--Catwoman

CrazyGreen laughHippyLOL

Well that's just shear lunacy. "Who stands in the gap between our wholeness and certain destruction" "the republicans want to force us into slavery and a new form of servitude" 

I almost spit my Big Red all over my screen. Almost.  I think DD needs to stop with the koolaid. It's doing things to her perception of reality.

ttech10's avatarttech10

It's different when these "neighbors" are from different countries, simply spamming these people with requests. I think it'd be a lot different if it was just a few neighbors dropping by for help, rather than so much harassment they had to relocate to an unknown location.

Just as this article says... It would be hard not to see this coming. It really was a huge mistake in claiming so early as it didn't give them time to really think "How can putting our names out there be a bad idea?". They should have at least done a Google search of past lottery winners and they would have had numerous examples of why they should keep their win as anonymous.

Also, this is a great example of how it's nice to be the jackpot winner shortly after the older one was won. 

Delta Draw

Whitewash history with lies? Why not!

You don’t even know who has developed the foundations that
provide your trusted historical lies in textbooks and cited studies. The
careful elimination of fact with fiction. Jefferson had sex with a teen-ager
who was his slave. George Washington had sex with at least one of his own
slaves also, and he was a pothead. The problem you whitewashers have with
history is that not everyone will believe your lies. All you have to do is lie
and call the lie fact. That is the ethic you live by. There
is a media network dedicated to the easily mal-informed: FOX. Ugh, what are their demographics in the 16-26
range?

After all the years and generations, DNA proof has been
found that Jefferson screwed his slave who at the conception was nothing but a
teen-age girl while he was what,… 46?

Your think-tank Liberty1.org is an abomination foundation
set up by the same shills who try to control fact with lies. Just another official
sounding bag of BS wrapped in a flag.

http://www.worldcrisisnewswatch.com/2011/06/bilderberg-2011-rockefeller-world-order.html

Just because liberty1 is a dot ORG does not make it politically
neutral, in fact it is NEOCON right. 
Same with the YAF, a boot camp for young Nazis. But I do like how the Young American
Foundation had Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin in a back-to-back presentation so
the YAF boys and girls could see for themselves how easily Plain can be
manipulated to open her trap and fall in. She is such a sucker. And Dick was so smooth but was not given the
same air time Palin was. She was set-up to convince the whole boot camp of
university political shakers and movers she was not presidential material. I loved
it.

Want information of her secret meeting and the punch-line? Her
uncle has a big mouth and he is in charge of the invitations.

Yea, lib1 is a good sounding red-white and blue source for good
American centered information, so much so that it sounds so official and
credible like Limbaugh bows to them. What a joke, the Foxes of the neocons are
guarding the henhouse of history to keep free thinkers out, like they are
wolves. Ha!

Big plans for the universities in the next election? Want to
quote such credible sources of neocons and trash Wikipedia? It will not work, you
will have to trash the Wiki source yourself because there are some free and
critical thinkers on campus and they know about the coming campaign and YAF
shills. The republicans really have a
two-front battle ahead, but Boehner will see to it the campuses get the hurt
they need. Nope, the TEAs do not have a clue what is coming down the pike. I
really love it when the neocons eat their own. The coup on the right between
the right is all about the independent vote and you won’t get it. The TEAs are
really libertarians. Check your LDS roles.

Too bad you could not have quoted a neutral source for fact
and not the spoon-fed fiction that has an underlying message that Jefferson was
all about small and less government. Did
not someone here just say it was a different day back then,…You folks are
really pushing Jeffersonian daydreams. Man you need to wake-up girlfriend. It was
amusing to hear the critique discussion of
Palin and Cheney’s performances. Yea, it is out there. You neocons have a few
leakers right up front. Look out for those free thinkers, they are dangerous. Mama
bear has more cubs than you know.

If this was not a guaranteed two term presidency, I would
normally take notice but you have no idea. Murdoch will like the revenues for
sure. He wins no matter who gets elected.

Ahh, capitalism and a well rigged election failure!

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Delta Dipsh*t,

More incoherent rambling from someone who believes anything on wiki is Gospel truth.

Unfriggingbelievable.

As I said previously, you are incredibly gullible and stupid - incredibly.

You had very little credibility to begin with and now you have none.

You belong to a microscopic minority of left-wing-lunatic-fringers who don't even register on any scale of import or consequence. 

Go talk your nonsense on your west coast weirdo websites.

Just beat it, weirdo.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Delta Draw on Jul 29, 2011

Whitewash history with lies? Why not!

You don’t even know who has developed the foundations that
provide your trusted historical lies in textbooks and cited studies. The
careful elimination of fact with fiction. Jefferson had sex with a teen-ager
who was his slave. George Washington had sex with at least one of his own
slaves also, and he was a pothead. The problem you whitewashers have with
history is that not everyone will believe your lies. All you have to do is lie
and call the lie fact. That is the ethic you live by. There
is a media network dedicated to the easily mal-informed: FOX. Ugh, what are their demographics in the 16-26
range?

After all the years and generations, DNA proof has been
found that Jefferson screwed his slave who at the conception was nothing but a
teen-age girl while he was what,… 46?

Your think-tank Liberty1.org is an abomination foundation
set up by the same shills who try to control fact with lies. Just another official
sounding bag of BS wrapped in a flag.

http://www.worldcrisisnewswatch.com/2011/06/bilderberg-2011-rockefeller-world-order.html

Just because liberty1 is a dot ORG does not make it politically
neutral, in fact it is NEOCON right. 
Same with the YAF, a boot camp for young Nazis. But I do like how the Young American
Foundation had Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin in a back-to-back presentation so
the YAF boys and girls could see for themselves how easily Plain can be
manipulated to open her trap and fall in. She is such a sucker. And Dick was so smooth but was not given the
same air time Palin was. She was set-up to convince the whole boot camp of
university political shakers and movers she was not presidential material. I loved
it.

Want information of her secret meeting and the punch-line? Her
uncle has a big mouth and he is in charge of the invitations.

Yea, lib1 is a good sounding red-white and blue source for good
American centered information, so much so that it sounds so official and
credible like Limbaugh bows to them. What a joke, the Foxes of the neocons are
guarding the henhouse of history to keep free thinkers out, like they are
wolves. Ha!

Big plans for the universities in the next election? Want to
quote such credible sources of neocons and trash Wikipedia? It will not work, you
will have to trash the Wiki source yourself because there are some free and
critical thinkers on campus and they know about the coming campaign and YAF
shills. The republicans really have a
two-front battle ahead, but Boehner will see to it the campuses get the hurt
they need. Nope, the TEAs do not have a clue what is coming down the pike. I
really love it when the neocons eat their own. The coup on the right between
the right is all about the independent vote and you won’t get it. The TEAs are
really libertarians. Check your LDS roles.

Too bad you could not have quoted a neutral source for fact
and not the spoon-fed fiction that has an underlying message that Jefferson was
all about small and less government. Did
not someone here just say it was a different day back then,…You folks are
really pushing Jeffersonian daydreams. Man you need to wake-up girlfriend. It was
amusing to hear the critique discussion of
Palin and Cheney’s performances. Yea, it is out there. You neocons have a few
leakers right up front. Look out for those free thinkers, they are dangerous. Mama
bear has more cubs than you know.

If this was not a guaranteed two term presidency, I would
normally take notice but you have no idea. Murdoch will like the revenues for
sure. He wins no matter who gets elected.

Ahh, capitalism and a well rigged election failure!

That's some crazy koolaid you been drinking Delta Draw. Crazy

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

Let this be a lesson to all those who think things will be different with them.  People are people and many people "feel entitled" to ask people who acquired wealth via means of luck.  These very same people would not think twice about asking someone who gained their wealth through a business venture (I don't think Warren Buffett and Bill Gates are getting inundated with money requests).  But let someone win a lawsuit or the lottery and all bets are off!  I also think that many of the people who happen to win and immediately come forward for all to know and see are not members of this forum, otherwise, they would think twice before putting their faces in the media as jackpot winners.

Fondant

Has anyone heard anything further about this couple and how they are handling their chosen 'celebrity' status?

Quote: Originally posted by Fondant on Aug 2, 2011

Has anyone heard anything further about this couple and how they are handling their chosen 'celebrity' status?

Twitch dunno ....... but $1 sez thar still kickin themselves over going public and thar kidz still giving them grief for a poor choice

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story