Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you REALLY expect to win?

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Artist77.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
New York,
Panama
Member #73078
April 4, 2009
3490 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2012, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

doesnt everyone expect to win if we didnt... y are we here!!! one answer  TO WIN!!  and win big!!!

I Agree! What DA???!!!  A far as We are concerned it's about Winning...Any sensible person knows that a game is Played with the

one goal or purpose  of...Wining!!!     play to win!!  end of story! 

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2012, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! What DA???!!!  A far as We are concerned it's about Winning...Any sensible person knows that a game is Played with the

one goal or purpose  of...Wining!!!     play to win!!  end of story! 

Good to see ya here Rosie, ain't the same without ya.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
      Panama
      Member #73078
      April 4, 2009
      3490 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2012, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Good to see ya here Rosie, ain't the same without ya.

Thanks my rd,Group Hug I miss the heck out of everyone!!!   we  over-stand each  other better than the home family sometimes...LOL...LOL

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

United States
        Member #110736
        May 11, 2011
        34 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2012, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I "expect" to win in that I know that if other people have won with the same odds, so can I. It's possible, even if it's not probable.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2012, 9:14 am - IP Logged

U Bethca.....Wink....."you play to win the game" Herman Edwards

London
            United Kingdom
            Member #122713
            February 6, 2012
            21 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2012, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Wow, you guys should really read the thread I posted last week... title is "for those who put too much money in the lottery"...

The overall point might kick some realism into you guys lol

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
              TX
              United States
              Member #121193
              January 4, 2012
              1637 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2012, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

FOR THOSE OF US WHO DO RESPONSIBLY PUT INTO THE LOTTERY......It's a freedom of choice, it doesn't hurt our neighbors, cause world hunger, start nuclear war, raise gas prices, cause cancer or shorten our life. When I do not win, a percentage of it does go towards education for a large number of students,create stability in a few jobs for along time to come, give people positive thoughts and will assist someone else if they win. It will create a new millionaire to pay more taxes, potentially create more donations to charity, potentially create new jobs, will create big purchases....Just think, all on $2.00....
                  I know  my $2.00 alone can't do that.....So for those of us who play, let the positives start tomorrow. For the critics,naysayers and general negative folks, try to have a nice day and here's Cheers hoping someone you knows wins a jackpot and shares some of it to you !!!
                Blue Angel

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

London
                United Kingdom
                Member #122713
                February 6, 2012
                21 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2012, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

FOR THOSE OF US WHO DO RESPONSIBLY PUT INTO THE LOTTERY......It's a freedom of choice, it doesn't hurt our neighbors, cause world hunger, start nuclear war, raise gas prices, cause cancer or shorten our life. When I do not win, a percentage of it does go towards education for a large number of students,create stability in a few jobs for along time to come, give people positive thoughts and will assist someone else if they win. It will create a new millionaire to pay more taxes, potentially create more donations to charity, potentially create new jobs, will create big purchases....Just think, all on $2.00....
                    I know  my $2.00 alone can't do that.....So for those of us who play, let the positives start tomorrow. For the critics,naysayers and general negative folks, try to have a nice day and here's Cheers hoping someone you knows wins a jackpot and shares some of it to you !!!
                  Blue Angel

No offence, but what you said is so misguided. I cannot and will not understand people who use the education or charity argument about the lottery, what the government did is link those two in such a perverse way that some of you actually consider it an acceptable way of giving to those in need... do you really consider that a good deed? The ONLY reason the USA uses some of the lottery money towards education is because it would have NEVER been accepted otherwise, yes there would be no lottery anywhere in the world if it was not to fund some sort of good cause. If you want to give to charity or help anyone further their education, give a 100% of your donation, not 25 or 40%. You play the lottery not for young people to go to university or to help an handicapped kids but to get rich... yes, to get FILTHY rich so you can relax on some beach in the bahamas with a bunch of honeys in bikinis (or guys up to you). Jobs, taxes, and all the things you talked about? Air that's what it is. Greed is the life essence of the lottery, and now you want a standing ovation because we told you a portion of your ticket price is going to some good cause? How perverse, how fallacious, how foolhardy. Buy 200 tickets if you want, I only gave advice, not orders, fact is it will likely not help you. But, what I am saying to you is, yes you don't kill or cause harm by playing heavily but do NOT bring about misguided arguments about your motivations for doing so. 

Cordially.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                  TX
                  United States
                  Member #121193
                  January 4, 2012
                  1637 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2012, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

No offence, but what you said is so misguided. I cannot and will not understand people who use the education or charity argument about the lottery, what the government did is link those two in such a perverse way that some of you actually consider it an acceptable way of giving to those in need... do you really consider that a good deed? The ONLY reason the USA uses some of the lottery money towards education is because it would have NEVER been accepted otherwise, yes there would be no lottery anywhere in the world if it was not to fund some sort of good cause. If you want to give to charity or help anyone further their education, give a 100% of your donation, not 25 or 40%. You play the lottery not for young people to go to university or to help an handicapped kids but to get rich... yes, to get FILTHY rich so you can relax on some beach in the bahamas with a bunch of honeys in bikinis (or guys up to you). Jobs, taxes, and all the things you talked about? Air that's what it is. Greed is the life essence of the lottery, and now you want a standing ovation because we told you a portion of your ticket price is going to some good cause? How perverse, how fallacious, how foolhardy. Buy 200 tickets if you want, I only gave advice, not orders, fact is it will likely not help you. But, what I am saying to you is, yes you don't kill or cause harm by playing heavily but do NOT bring about misguided arguments about your motivations for doing so. 

Cordially.

Well FARASHAN my good LP poster, your statement is slightly unique in its perspective.....the USA, as you put it, did not put some of the money towards education. The taxpayers from various INDIVIDUAL states VOTED for it to be contributing part of the proceeds to the educational system... thats the beauty of our country, its left up to the individuals in a state to decide what they will do with their lottery money and not some some central government telling everyone how much to give and when to give it and how to disperse it to whom...Perhaps thats a UK issue ?
                  See the USA left good ole England because of its views on how to control monies earned and taxed, along with a number of other issues. While the lottery does not contribute 100% to charity or education, it does contribute a portion to the educational system instead of being taxed...See Florida's website for exact description how it disperses it finances into the bright futures program, look at the other 50 states to see how they dispense theirs . It does create jobs because someone has to work to maintain the lottery system,machines,tickets,security, etc etc....Now as far as perverting the lotto system..of course its to obtain wealth..just like a charity raffle is to win the prize, there are benefits from people choosing to purchase a chance. The difference between a raffle and lotto system is the state government isn't involved in controlling a raffle prize.  As far as giving to a charity, its my personal choice... but I bet the good ole USA residents give more to charities out of personal choice than any other nation on the planet as opposed as to being forced or taxed into giving.....Nobody said anything about playing heavily but if I did buy 200 tickets at $1.00 a piece, woudn't it be better than spending it on cigarettes or alcohol that do cause medical issues.....No misguiding there......But then again we are the USA ! We aren't perfect and we do sacrifice ....but I would rather be here than anyplace else because of educational system, health care and freedoms to play our lotteries.  Patriot.BTW thank Prince William and Kate for us for spending they honeymoon in our country..It was a pleasure to have them..Feel free to come over and play the powerball any day. Don't worry, we wont ask you to give 100% to charity......Phazers on stun, good hunting..Kirk out

US Flag

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                    Taunton, Ma
                    United States
                    Member #123005
                    February 11, 2012
                    136 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2012, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

If you don't expect to win, What's the point? Of course I expect to win. Just a matter of when and how much.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                      NYC
                      United States
                      Member #117984
                      October 19, 2011
                      1843 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2012, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Blue Angel

Quoted For Truth! 

This is what I believe in too and I know one day I can win. I know my money is being put to a good cause too.

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #122713
                        February 6, 2012
                        21 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Dear CDanaT,

I know the USA citizens consider themselves in a free country and cherish this fact beyond anything else. It is true to some degree, you do live in a free country. But contrary to what most of you think and apparently have been told, you're not the only free country in the world, the UK, France, Sweden, and a whole bunch of other countries have a system very similar and sometimes even more "free" (Holland?) than the USA. The lottery here in the UK gives 50% of all lottery revenue to good causes as varied as life on earth, what is the overall percentage and the different recipients (if applicable) in the USA? And yes the residents have a right to speak as well! I actually lived most of my life in Lancaster CA and believe me I see no difference in freedom whatsoever.

Playing the lottery does not create jobs. An entrepreneur setting up a 50 employee business creates jobs. There is a set number of positions that is filled to run the lottery, yes, so what playing the lottery does is to maintain those jobs... big difference. So much for this argument.

Taxes? yes, the lotteries are taxed and the money goes straight in the State's purse... good or bad? I'm not one to judge, ask your Pastor if you have existential questions. The only thing I could say is... please, Mr Obama and co tell the truth: if 50% of the ticket price goes to winners, 45% goes into education and the rest for whoever runs the lottery, the truth is that the state gets in fact 60-70% because it will tax the poor who wins the lottery AGAIN. What I am saying is that the real percentages regarding where the money really goes IS blurred. Another blatant lie is the advertised jackpots. You really get 35% of that while in Europe you get 100% of it... you tell me which place is more considerate to citizens. Other than that I have no problem with taxes.

And lastly, dear CDanat, the "good ole USA residents" are actually 19th on the official development assistance by country as a percentage of GNI, now that's the government's job you will say. Yes but as individuals, the USA are only 6th on the world giving index... that's poor for the Number 1 economy in the world (well not for long, let's hope the Chinese will be more generous).

Again, I have no problem with lotteries and players wether they play 0 ticket or 200, I only want them to be honest and not pretext charitable contribution or job creation for buying tickets. No, greed is what takes us to the counter.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5124 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2012, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Blue Angel

well said, >>>>>>>>>>>CDT:

US FlagPartyWhite BouncePartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyWhite BounceUS Flag

Q'BOMA  would applaud UR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RESPONSIBLY

Cheers HERE'sssssssssss HOPING someone U know like PSYKO will win a BIG JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 15, 2012, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Dear CDanaT,

I know the USA citizens consider themselves in a free country and cherish this fact beyond anything else. It is true to some degree, you do live in a free country. But contrary to what most of you think and apparently have been told, you're not the only free country in the world, the UK, France, Sweden, and a whole bunch of other countries have a system very similar and sometimes even more "free" (Holland?) than the USA. The lottery here in the UK gives 50% of all lottery revenue to good causes as varied as life on earth, what is the overall percentage and the different recipients (if applicable) in the USA? And yes the residents have a right to speak as well! I actually lived most of my life in Lancaster CA and believe me I see no difference in freedom whatsoever.

Playing the lottery does not create jobs. An entrepreneur setting up a 50 employee business creates jobs. There is a set number of positions that is filled to run the lottery, yes, so what playing the lottery does is to maintain those jobs... big difference. So much for this argument.

Taxes? yes, the lotteries are taxed and the money goes straight in the State's purse... good or bad? I'm not one to judge, ask your Pastor if you have existential questions. The only thing I could say is... please, Mr Obama and co tell the truth: if 50% of the ticket price goes to winners, 45% goes into education and the rest for whoever runs the lottery, the truth is that the state gets in fact 60-70% because it will tax the poor who wins the lottery AGAIN. What I am saying is that the real percentages regarding where the money really goes IS blurred. Another blatant lie is the advertised jackpots. You really get 35% of that while in Europe you get 100% of it... you tell me which place is more considerate to citizens. Other than that I have no problem with taxes.

And lastly, dear CDanat, the "good ole USA residents" are actually 19th on the official development assistance by country as a percentage of GNI, now that's the government's job you will say. Yes but as individuals, the USA are only 6th on the world giving index... that's poor for the Number 1 economy in the world (well not for long, let's hope the Chinese will be more generous).

Again, I have no problem with lotteries and players wether they play 0 ticket or 200, I only want them to be honest and not pretext charitable contribution or job creation for buying tickets. No, greed is what takes us to the counter.

"And lastly, dear CDanat, the "good ole USA residents" are actually 19th on the official development assistance by country as a percentage of GNI, now that's the government's job you will say. Yes but as individuals, the USA are only 6th on the world giving index... that's poor for the Number 1 economy in the world (well not for long, let's hope the Chinese will be more generous)."

Actually, you've gotten hold of some old, outdated statistics there, old chap. I'm sure it was merely an oversight.

Here's something a little more current and accurate:

World Giving Index: US Ranked Most Charitable Country On Earth

The Huffington Post  Eleanor Goldberg   First Posted: 12/20/11   Updated: 12/20/11

The United States climbed from fifth place to the rank of most generous country in the world, according to a recent global study.

In its second annual study of 153 countries, the Charity Aid Foundation concluded that the U.S. has demonstrated "strong" behavior across all three criteria measured -- volunteering, helping strangers and donating money. The U.S. has increased its charity by 3 percentage points this year, up to $212 billion.

"The point to leave with American leaders is the world really needs America; it needs its generosity, its resource and spirit, and though times are really hard, this is the time we need to keep giving as much as we possibly can," Richard Harrison, director of research at the UK-based Charities Aid Foundation told The NonProfit Times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/19/world-giving-index-us-ran_n_1159562.html

---------------------------------------------------

"I actually lived most of my life in Lancaster CA and believe me I see no difference in freedom whatsoever."

Tried to buy a handgun lately, matey?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                              Panama
                              Member #73078
                              April 4, 2009
                              3490 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2012, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

Blue Angel

BananaOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!  I LOve CDanaT!!!!  when truth and Logic Lovekiss it's a Real Beauty!It's Cool!!Cool!

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina