Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 10:31 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When Mega Millions Goes To $2/Ticket

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 6 years ago by mightwin.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2012, 1:45 am - IP Logged

Speculation is that Mega Millions will be bumping up the cost of their tickets to follow the lead of Powerball to $2/ticket. Timing is not known exactly, expect by May of this year at latest.    Mad

Will this effect your playing strategies, if at all, now that the playing field will be leveled between Powerball and Mega Millions?       What?

Do you think that with this increase in ticket prices, that Mega Millions will have an advantage over Powerball jackpots?      Hurray!

If you have always played just Mega Millions, how will this effect your future betting?      Group Hug

If you are one of the players that have boycotted Powerball for their price increase, will you now boycott Mega Millions as well?      Dupe Alert

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2012, 2:01 am - IP Logged

I personally will continue to play as I always have in the past. Where I have usually picked up two lines on the MM, I will continue to do so.

You had to have seen the writing on the wall; MM wasn't about to just sit idly by when PB doubled its ticket prices. Enjoy the bargain basement prices while they last.   Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10537 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2012, 2:17 am - IP Logged

It's probably inevitable but for right now I think the $2 PB or $3PB w/ Powerplay is a marketing test.

I think the news release follow up story on Brad Duke 7 years or so after having won a jackpot was done to stumulate ticket sales.

PB and MM are both run by the MUSL, right? If so, it's just like cities vying for a new NFL franchise - the NFL knows it's going to be a money maker and really doesn't care too much what city gets the franchise.

Persoanlly I'll just play the higher jackpot. I'd liike to think I'd revert to $1 on the Pick 6 state lotery, but most often the 5 + 0 on MM or PB is more tempting than trying to hit the Pick 6.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3329 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2012, 2:38 am - IP Logged

seriosly, if MM was really in competition i would rearrange the prize structure to give $1m 2nd prize for the $1 bet.  drop a low tier prize, like matching only PB to pay for it.

imagine that, still only  a buck. but as someone said, theyre run by the same crowd aint gonna happen.

" Still swinging, still missing "
        2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:15 am - IP Logged

It's probably inevitable but for right now I think the $2 PB or $3PB w/ Powerplay is a marketing test.

I think the news release follow up story on Brad Duke 7 years or so after having won a jackpot was done to stumulate ticket sales.

PB and MM are both run by the MUSL, right? If so, it's just like cities vying for a new NFL franchise - the NFL knows it's going to be a money maker and really doesn't care too much what city gets the franchise.

Persoanlly I'll just play the higher jackpot. I'd liike to think I'd revert to $1 on the Pick 6 state lotery, but most often the 5 + 0 on MM or PB is more tempting than trying to hit the Pick 6.

I Agree!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
            East of Columbus, OH
            United States
            Member #120843
            December 28, 2011
            452 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I for one certainly hope that the MM doesn't increase in price, but it does seem very likely.  I have always been a bigger fan of MM and if they change, I will probably spend the same money but will get less lines, same as I do for PB.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the Ohio Lottery reported that actual PB ticket sales are down slightly, but the dollar amount is up, which is what they expected.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

dallascowboyfan's avatar - chi
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6341 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I hope not, but like CT said it's probably inevitable. hopefully I will win the Mega this tomorrow before the new price increase.

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I hope not, but like CT said it's probably inevitable. hopefully I will win the Mega this tomorrow before the new price increase.

I would be very happy for you dallas!   Dance

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  8344 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

It won't effect me in the least as I don't even play it at a buck a game. We have no PB here in Calif. I stick to Fantasy 5 where the odds are still high but not in outer space range like these bigger games.

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:43 am - IP Logged

It won't effect me in the least as I don't even play it at a buck a game. We have no PB here in Calif. I stick to Fantasy 5 where the odds are still high but not in outer space range like these bigger games.

How's it going with Fantasy 5 lottolaughs? Thanks for weighing in.   See Ya!

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                      Washington State
                      United States
                      Member #33973
                      February 26, 2006
                      349 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2012, 10:24 am - IP Logged

It will definitely affect my playing.  I won't drop out entirely, but will do just as I've done with PB since the increase - play mostly the state games instead and only play the multi-state game when the cash pot is very high.

RedStang's avatar - laughing chimp.gif
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3163 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2012, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Would be surprised if they raise the prices. Ticket sales are still on pace with last year. With the crazy gas prices i would probably play less.

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Would be surprised if they raise the prices. Ticket sales are still on pace with last year. With the crazy gas prices i would probably play less.

As with all things in life, and our emerging economy RedStang.......why would you be "surprised" if MM raised their prices?

Gas prices, food costs, health insurance and Powerball have all sky rocketed..........why not MM???   Big Grin

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            8344 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2012, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

How's it going with Fantasy 5 lottolaughs? Thanks for weighing in.   See Ya!

A couple 4 spots lately...just have to wait my turn,lol. It's comin Thumbs Up

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5259 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I personally will continue to play as I always have in the past. Where I have usually picked up two lines on the MM, I will continue to do so.

You had to have seen the writing on the wall; MM wasn't about to just sit idly by when PB doubled its ticket prices. Enjoy the bargain basement prices while they last.   Banana

MC56:

G@@D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>POST>>>>>>>>>YES me2 will continue 2 PLAY but, PSYKO quit PB!!!!!!!

Play MM & Pick 5 game's >>NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THINK dis will give  ME   >> MORE>>>>>>>>> BANG 4 my BUCK'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IF MM goes 2>>>>>>$2.00 will go 4 better odd'$

PICK5 will>>>>>>>>>>>>WILL BE the "ONLY" >>>>>JACKPOT GAME>>>>that PSYKO will PLAY!!

Jack-in-the-Box