Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When Mega Millions Goes To $2/Ticket

Topic closed. 60 replies. Last post 5 years ago by mightwin.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3300 Posts
Posted: February 25, 2012, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

i was just looking atthe power ball results here, http://www.usamega.com/powerball-drawing.asp?d=2/22/2012

and see that 7.2 mill was paid out in prizes. how much goes towards the jackpot and how much towards the prizes of lower divisions?

i am beggining to thing us aussies are a bunch of hopeless gambling addicts. as here is an australian payout table

http://tatts.com/tattersalls/results/latest-results?product=Tattslotto

if you take offf the amount for the jackpot amount of $4M, leaves close to $11M in prize money.! and we dont have a $80 mill pot being chased or , 300M people, or $1 a tickets.Im not blowing our own horn, im just wondering where the money goes, or do aussies really spend more money than americans on lotto?

oh i looked at our power ball game, only $3M in prizes, but then the jackpot got won last week., and starting prize  amount is only $3M. so generally the weakest  amount of playing .

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5113 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2012, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Thank you psykomo for once again sharing  your keen insight, and continued wisdom for us LP'ers in need for such great posts!!!    See Ya!

mc56:

PSYKOMO can't>>>>>>>THANK>>LP member'$$

& LOTTERY POST>>>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ANUFFFFFFFFFF........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See Ya!BananaSee Ya!I Agree!:

LP is D>>>>>>"GREATEST" SHOW on "EARTH"

4444444444444DDDDDDDDDDDD "Money"!!

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2012, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

mc56:

PSYKOMO can't>>>>>>>THANK>>LP member'$$

& LOTTERY POST>>>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ANUFFFFFFFFFF........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See Ya!BananaSee Ya!I Agree!:

LP is D>>>>>>"GREATEST" SHOW on "EARTH"

4444444444444DDDDDDDDDDDD "Money"!!

Jack-in-the-Box

Thanks psykomo!

Good to see you back in the threads, miss your unique prospective's. See Ya!

United States
        Member #123780
        February 29, 2012
        22 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2012, 5:20 am - IP Logged

"It will take significant analysis of Mega Millions, Powerball and State Lotto trends after the Powerball increase to make a decision.  That, couple with the implementation needs, make it extremely likely that it won't happen in 2012."

I Agree!

And I don't give that much credibility to Twitter where everything twittered must be fact. Hopefully the MM twitter speculators won't be twittering while driving.

I doubt that there will be a raise in prices...as MUSL is a joint venture.

there is an agreement on total sales made.

as long as MM sales + PB sales =  (some previously agreed amount)

they will be happy.

if they rise the MM price and this causes

MM sales + PB sales to be < (some previously agreed amount) ( i dont know how much...)

they will be as someone pointed out in a tizzy.

the PB sales will be a little down this draw because i could not get in my 3 or 4 million quick picks due to some ridiculous cut off time.

Let It All Out

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2012, 6:53 am - IP Logged

they will be happy.

MM sales + PB sales to be < (some previously agreed amount) ( i dont know how much...)

the PB sales will be a little down this draw because i could not get in my 3 or 4 million quick picks due to some ridiculous cut off time.

Let It All Out

I know exactly what you mean, I barley had enough time to fill out my 10,000,000 slips for the last PB drawing.   Type

Someone needs to loosen up these absurd time restrictions!!!    No No

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2012, 10:49 am - IP Logged

they will be happy.

Let It All Out

We have to remember there are states that offer both games and each state is responsible for the secondary prizes. If PB sales are down because of the price increase or lower than expect jackpot sizes, but if MM sales are up, it could be a wash or even more profitable when the MM jackpot is $100 million and rolls a couple of times.

If both games were $2 a ticket and both jackpots were at near minimum levels, it would affect ticket sales more in the states that offer have both games and because of this, those states are probably against any increase in MM tickets.

San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #58386
              February 12, 2008
              287 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2012, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Good bye.  Nice knowing you Mega Millions.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2012, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

If it happens then it will have to wait until 2013 because lots of people around the country buy MegaMillions year long subscription. I know that because I am one of them. 

If they do bump it up to $2 then I will just stop playing MM altogether. I already quit powerball.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2012, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Good bye.  Nice knowing you Mega Millions.

See Ya!

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2012, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

If it happens then it will have to wait until 2013 because lots of people around the country buy MegaMillions year long subscription. I know that because I am one of them. 

If they do bump it up to $2 then I will just stop playing MM altogether. I already quit powerball.

In the event this did happen maringoman, just as with the Powerball increase, you would be issued a refund or credit on your subscription.

I'm sure there must have been thousands of players who had subscriptions to Powerball when they hiked it to $2

Let us hope and pray that this scenario will not come our way soon.  Blue Angel     Crying

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

In the event this did happen maringoman, just as with the Powerball increase, you would be issued a refund or credit on your subscription.

I'm sure there must have been thousands of players who had subscriptions to Powerball when they hiked it to $2

Let us hope and pray that this scenario will not come our way soon.  Blue Angel     Crying

I think they did the big powerball switch-over in january so that people with subscriptions of 2011 would end their subscriptions in december 2011 and not have deal with confusions and interruptions.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2012, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I think they did the big powerball switch-over in january so that people with subscriptions of 2011 would end their subscriptions in december 2011 and not have deal with confusions and interruptions.

Good point, I hadn't considered the timing of the phase out!   Cheers

United States
                          Member #123427
                          February 20, 2012
                          89 Posts
                          Posted: March 2, 2012, 1:47 am - IP Logged

We have to remember there are states that offer both games and each state is responsible for the secondary prizes. If PB sales are down because of the price increase or lower than expect jackpot sizes, but if MM sales are up, it could be a wash or even more profitable when the MM jackpot is $100 million and rolls a couple of times.

If both games were $2 a ticket and both jackpots were at near minimum levels, it would affect ticket sales more in the states that offer have both games and because of this, those states are probably against any increase in MM tickets.

regarding sales of tickets...i think MUSL is assuming(and hoping,and betting) that if somebody decides to play the MM instead of PB they will automatically play 2 MM tickets...as opposed to 1 PB ticket...if people do this the original sales cap agreement can be easily reached...but will this be the case? who knows...does this statment make sense to everybody?  if the MM price increases to $2...people will not have the choice to opt volume over cost/prize payout increase.

is this a run on sentence? Lurking

hey what are the odds that the 36 megaball decides to repeat?

where are the human calculators??

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3471 Posts
                            Posted: March 2, 2012, 1:48 am - IP Logged

That would only work if subscriptons are for the calendar year. I don't know about PB or other states, but NY offers subscriptions for MM that run for either 26 weeks or 52 weeks, and you can buy anytime. I'm sure the fine print allows them to cancel your subscription and give you a credit or a refund without having any particular reason.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:18 am - IP Logged

as there are 46 balls in the barrel , the odds of 36 coming up next time are 1 in 46. , same as every other number. there's no  magnet in ther repulsing 36, well at least i hope not.

now if you want 2 in a row, you mean whats the chance for the next 2 Mega balls to drop  36?

that would be 1 in 2116 ;ie 1/46 x 1/46.

you cant use the resuult form before of 36 as anything other than 1 as its a certainty, you know the  chance of it being 36 is 100% because its already happened, and the chance it is anything else is zero because it isnt anything else.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297