Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2012, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Would anyone like to define "random"?

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3675 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2012, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Random is as Random does.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2012, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Without any pre-determined direction, purpose or method.

loonasee2's avatar - ty789 zpsxdhaaskf.jpg
        Orangutan Forest
        United States
        Member #95128
        August 4, 2010
        12809 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2012, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I ask New  York lottery that very same question.lol So I  have  to hope I don't ever suffer from "POST RANDOM DEPRESSION ".lol Here in NY we have are doubts between post drawing or random draws.Nothing is really random anyways , everything happens for a reason.We just have to figure out the right reason picking are numbers. GOOD LUCK ,.........SergeM ,................Welcome to LP ,.........WIN BIG.

cashbuckets of cash

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1649 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2012, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Having no specific pattern, purpose, or objective. In my proffessional opinion, Pick 3/4 games aren't truly random at all. To qualify as being completely random, they should simply start the machine and use the numbers on the very first draw as official numbers. This is random. Juggling and tearing up the machines for up to (5) pre-draws is senseless to me. However, they do this for a reason...and it's to their advantage if a player isn't paying attention and spending their money right.

Texas lists the results of their pre-draws and I've seen many, many, many times where I won big money on the first pre-draw and lost on the actual official results posted. Been there, tested it, ain't goin' back to it either. Trust me, these lottery entities give a whole new meaning to the title "BIGGEST LOSER."

If your state lists their pre-draws, go back and check recent tickets purchased based on the very last draw. Then, see if they won on the next draw or so. You'll be surprised...

L.L.

Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I think that all lotteries test their machines before the official drawing. They publish the predrawings in Texas. I know somebody playing there. They also anounce the set of balls that they are using.

The local lottery here in Belgium does one test drawing and they don't tell you which set they will use. The test drawing is not published.

I don't know anyone playing pick 3. I analysed it here using VBA Excel. The best that I could do in simulation was break even, with a daily 40 or 50 euro game. I could come up with something, but it does not tempt me. I prefer keno, won 201 euro with a 2 euro bet a few months ago, good for 100 free games. A few years ago I won 5/6, 1600 euros with a ten wheel, home made. I was unlucky as the reserve bal was in the same wheel. It could have paid 16000. I missed other pots, had several times 5 in 10 or 11 wheel. They added 3 numbers, doubled the price ticket. I don't play it like before.
            Euromillions is sick too, one combination costs 2 euros, the payout is low if you don't hit the jackpot, and that one is big.

For random, we often measure it by p(x), just calculating what the chance is. I calculate much more, but prefer to measure what really happened.

I play around break even on long term, I think.

Appleton, Wi
              United States
              Member #118178
              October 24, 2011
              199 Posts
              Posted: February 29, 2012, 12:47 am - IP Logged

Every lottery game will play all the numbers after so many plays. It may be as few as 7 draws in a 5/31 game or it

may take a 100 draws for all numbers to repeat just once. The average time for a complete repeat of all numbers

in 5/31 game is probably much closer to 30 days than 100 days. Why should it be this way? What determines the

average? The balls have no memory. God has better things to do than keep his eye on bouncing balls. The answer

must be in the physical make up of atoms, distance between atoms, strength, friction, weight, size, wear and

bounce of materials. Because of these physical properties the balls obediently obey and repeat at predictable

intervals. Never thought it would be that simple. 

BlueDuck

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: February 29, 2012, 1:24 am - IP Logged

All that has been said thus far plus this:

Willie had some bets he had to get into the book and Jackson random for him.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 29, 2012, 1:32 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't exactly say I'd "like" to define random.

I'm far too detached and disinterested.

And that's not to say I would "hate" to define it either.

I would probably just do it without any emotional predisposition whatsoever.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #123780
                    February 29, 2012
                    22 Posts
                    Posted: February 29, 2012, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Every lottery game will play all the numbers after so many plays. It may be as few as 7 draws in a 5/31 game or it

may take a 100 draws for all numbers to repeat just once. The average time for a complete repeat of all numbers

in 5/31 game is probably much closer to 30 days than 100 days. Why should it be this way? What determines the

average? The balls have no memory. God has better things to do than keep his eye on bouncing balls. The answer

must be in the physical make up of atoms, distance between atoms, strength, friction, weight, size, wear and

bounce of materials. Because of these physical properties the balls obediently obey and repeat at predictable

intervals. Never thought it would be that simple. 

BlueDuck

how can you be so sure the balls have no memory?  how can you be so sure what God has his eye on?  If i have my eye on the balls than surely god has his eye on the balls too.

if the balls had no memory then every draw would have the same result.  Every ball in the machine is intimately connected with one another and maybe they get jealous of one another. Everything is connected everywhere... all the way to the edge of the universe.

Appleton, Wi
                      United States
                      Member #118178
                      October 24, 2011
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: February 29, 2012, 2:33 am - IP Logged

ShotokanWizard:

The balls have no memory because they are not alive. I can't be sure what God has his eye on. Thanks for

keeping your eye on the balls. If the balls had/have no memory than they wouldn't care what happens to them next

and most draws would be different and a very few draws would have the same result. Every ball in the machine is

connected by small forces of gravity. No jealously involved. Everything is connected everywhere .....throughout the

universe that has no edge.

BlueDuck

United States
                        Member #123780
                        February 29, 2012
                        22 Posts
                        Posted: February 29, 2012, 3:31 am - IP Logged

ShotokanWizard:

The balls have no memory because they are not alive. I can't be sure what God has his eye on. Thanks for

keeping your eye on the balls. If the balls had/have no memory than they wouldn't care what happens to them next

and most draws would be different and a very few draws would have the same result. Every ball in the machine is

connected by small forces of gravity. No jealously involved. Everything is connected everywhere .....throughout the

universe that has no edge.

BlueDuck

it could have an edge...although the edge is so far away...it would not matter if it was 1000 or 100000 light years away...we are constricted to this planet...only our consciousness can extend to the edge...and as atoms and electrons and quarks...maybe the balls are conscious of the edge.

maybe the edge can expand or contract...maybe there is an edge that if need be can stretch two feet... or contract two feet...it would have no affect really on earth...or would it...

a big bang theory would suggest that there is an edge...and its moving outward...possibly there is nothing beyond the edge...everything is within the edge.

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: February 29, 2012, 4:51 am - IP Logged

In a lottery game more than one number is drawn, so the numbers tend to show up more frequently,
                          the maximum of games out is smaller.

Playing roulette is like guessing a bonus ball out of 37.

Cool

United States
                            Member #123427
                            February 20, 2012
                            89 Posts
                            Posted: February 29, 2012, 6:36 am - IP Logged

You say the balls are not alive...but is a rock alive?

If you ask a great jedi master such as yoda he would say, the force flows through the rock, and the tree, the sky and the earth, are not the balls privy to the force also???

Use the force duck.Sun Smiley

Appleton, Wi
                              United States
                              Member #118178
                              October 24, 2011
                              199 Posts
                              Posted: February 29, 2012, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

"If the balls had no memory then every draw would have the same results" ShotokanWizard

"lf the balls had/have no memory then they wouldn't care what happens to them next and most draws would be different and a very few draws would have the same result" BlueDuck

..................................................

"I would probably just do it without any emotional predispositions whatsoever" Rdgrnr

OK. Ping Pong Balls used as Lottery Balls do have a physical memory:

"The ping pong ball is completely hollow. It had been made mandatory that the diameter of the ping pong ball should be 40 mm and the weight should be 2.7 gram.

Furthur, the ping pong ball must have a 0.4 coefficient of restitution. The ping pong ball is made of high bouncing celluoid material and is gas filled. Depending on the bounce, roundness and consistency of the ping pong ball, single star, two star ratings are marked on the ball. A ball with three star rating normally implies highest quality ball."     From TableTennisMaster.com

Coefficient of restitution: "The International Table Tennis Federation specifies that the ball shall bounce up 24-26 cm when dropped from a height of 30.5 cm on to a standard steel block thereby having a COR of 0.89 to 0.92." From  Wikipedia "Tennis Ball"

The chance of any single ping pong ball being drawn is predicted by changes in the physical makeup of the ball from draw to draw.

BlueDuck