Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Lucky Loser.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
Member #59354
March 13, 2008
3986 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2012, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I have to take another poke at this.  Most here know I don't believe in random or luck.

Sufficiently random is about as close as we can get to random and the only random

event that makes sence is if something appeared from nowhere.  Lets say that we could

build a impregnable cube that had all the empty space in each atom removed.  If something

suddenly came to exist within this cube that would in my opinion be a random event.  Some

think that the universe came from nothing and from nowhere, if this is true then random

must exist, from that point on everything is a series of reactions.  Luck is just a chance event

unless something unseen plays a role.  If something unseen plays a role then luck like random

are words we use to describe events we can't explain.  So, in my opinion if luck and random

don't exist then something else must.  Most call this something else "God" and I agree. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2012, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Random and the lottery.  Most lotteries have a fixed number of combinations that can

be drawn and this does not change unless the matrix is changed.  I can predict many

aspects of lottery with 100% certainty.  In a 5-39 game I can predict that five numbers

will be drawn, I could also win the lottery every time I play if I buy out the combinations.

I can also predict that 34 numbers will not be drawn.   The next set of balls seems to be

random but if all the variables could be calculated then there would be no randomness to

the draw.  In my opinion a truly random lottery would require infinite number of possible

outcomes.

RL

With what you wrote, you can calculate more. See expectancy!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1649 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2012, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I have to take another poke at this.  Most here know I don't believe in random or luck.

Sufficiently random is about as close as we can get to random and the only random

event that makes sence is if something appeared from nowhere.  Lets say that we could

build a impregnable cube that had all the empty space in each atom removed.  If something

suddenly came to exist within this cube that would in my opinion be a random event.  Some

think that the universe came from nothing and from nowhere, if this is true then random

must exist, from that point on everything is a series of reactions.  Luck is just a chance event

unless something unseen plays a role.  If something unseen plays a role then luck like random

are words we use to describe events we can't explain.  So, in my opinion if luck and random

don't exist then something else must.  Most call this something else "God" and I agree. 

RL

RL, I definitely agree with most of what you've said here, but the one part I disagree on is the assessment of luck. Regarding these Pick games, when a person goes out and buys several QP's or marks off a few numbers on a ticket and wins, this is pure unadulterated luck. Why? Because that person cannot go back the next day, or, even the very next draw and duplicate that same win with the same approach. I consider these types of wins "random wins" or "luck -based wins" which is all fine and dandy. However, the definition of a true win lies within whether or not the win recovers all monies previously spent prior to the win and still leaves some profit.

The ability to produce the same type of win, regularly, is the epitome of a true systematic approach. Luck is real and exists as does randomness. Neither is needed, however, if the game is approached the right way and the player's resources are being utilized efficiently. Yeah, the odds are terrible and are purposely fixed as such. But, the numbers still contain handicaps and can still only do so much. PATIENCE is the player's FIRST best friend. I really like your thoughts, buddy.

L.L.