Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 12:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Do You Think About The Current Mega Millions And Powerball Lottery Jackpots?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 5 years ago by fossil134.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3857 Posts
Posted: April 8, 2012, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

...I think that as it grows, more and more and more people are going to jump in on it because it'll finally be worth playing, and, enough money for them to (try and) win. This is so amazing because when I saw this thread the only thing I could think of was the phrase I overheard a couple of weeks ago, "Yeah, I don't mess with the "low jackpots." They've got to get up there for me to play..."

Obviously, $12million or so just won't help his bank account. Oh, well. To each their own and best of luck!

L.L.

yes, also have a hard time understanding this, i give them a bewildered look and say "how much do you need ? "

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
    Texas
    United States
    Member #86154
    January 30, 2010
    1654 Posts
    Posted: April 8, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

You have to be in it to win it.

The world's biggest lottery jackpot ($656M MM jackpot) took $32 from me. I will not make the same mistake again.

Buddy, I'm not trying to tell you how to run your finances, but here's a little advice from my own personal experiences with PB/MM games. There's really no reason not to just get (5) QP's, or, run $5 worth of your own numbers...either will work fine. I've ALWAYS had better outcomes with simply getting a solid $5 worth of numbers as oppose to spending $20 and up. All BS aside, I seem to match more numbers on a single line with just one playslip than I do with multiple slips. In fact, on the very last time I played, I came within 1-2 numbers of every single one of them drawn...on a single playslip...$5. 

People put waaaay too much effort and emphasis on a game of this magnitude in terms of numbers to choose. A player is either gonna get something, nothing, or, ALL OF IT no matter how many numbers are ran.

L.L. 

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
      NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      12118 Posts
      Posted: April 8, 2012, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty, suprised at you.

your rules, man ?

YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: April 8, 2012, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

YOU HAVE TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT.

You told us we only needed to spend one dollar to win.

Then you spent $32 on the Mega.

WE ARE SHOCKED AND APPALLED!   Eek

White BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          12118 Posts
          Posted: April 8, 2012, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

You told us we only needed to spend one dollar to win.

Then you spent $32 on the Mega.

WE ARE SHOCKED AND APPALLED!   Eek

White BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce

Have you read my signature?

US Flag

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2012, 1:33 am - IP Logged

I'm staying out of the big games for a while longer and will likely stick to just the state pick 5 or 6 games until the jackpots on MM and PB grow considerably larger.  The current $310,000 and $4.2 million cash option on the state games here would be plenty for just me and the odds are so much better.  But when the jackpots of the big games get huge, it is fun to think about the big gifts and donations I could make to family and charities, so I will, no doubt, participate again.  There is only so much recreation money I'm willing to throw at lotteries, and I usually prefer to focus on one at a time. 

Elgin, IL
              United States
              Member #93542
              July 2, 2010
              318 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2012, 2:40 am - IP Logged

39 million after  taxes is good enough of for me! That's still more money than I ever had in my life.  I don't believe we're going to see the kind of JP the Mega Millions just had.  That's not going to happen, but I think it's going to roll a few times. I plan on it rolling right into my pocket. I'm not playing MM at the moment.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: April 9, 2012, 3:14 am - IP Logged

I am playing to win a MM or PB jackpot, although I do not mind winning other prizes. I feel that spending $5, $10, or $20 on a jackpot is not a bad deal.

Would you keep spending $5 to $20 on a rolling jackpot? I can't do it repeatedly.

Nobody's saying you have to spend that much, Thrifty.  It's all about personal preference.  People get on you not because you're not willing to spend more, but because you're so insistent upon preaching that everyone must follow your lead.

At present I spend $8 a draw on MM (4 lines with Megaplier, 2 of which are QPs) and $3 a draw on Powerball (1 line with Power Play).  This is in addition to playing various NY state games.  If the jackpots get into buzz-generating territory I might get a few additional QPs, but I'm comfortable with my current level of spending.

Patriot

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: April 9, 2012, 5:07 am - IP Logged

There were about 640 million losing tickets that night and you're whining about losing $32?

yeah whats wrong with you Thrifty? dont you know extra tickets in the same draw dont help? i can under stand you buying 1 ticket in 32 draws, but i think you bought 8 or so tickets? ea draw.

we're very dissapointed in you,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    12118 Posts
                    Posted: April 9, 2012, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I'm staying out of the big games for a while longer and will likely stick to just the state pick 5 or 6 games until the jackpots on MM and PB grow considerably larger.  The current $310,000 and $4.2 million cash option on the state games here would be plenty for just me and the odds are so much better.  But when the jackpots of the big games get huge, it is fun to think about the big gifts and donations I could make to family and charities, so I will, no doubt, participate again.  There is only so much recreation money I'm willing to throw at lotteries, and I usually prefer to focus on one at a time. 

Focusing on one game is a good thing because you make your money work harder. They have a name for players that play too many games at once. They are called lottery dabblers.

US Flag

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12118 Posts
                      Posted: April 9, 2012, 9:15 am - IP Logged

yeah whats wrong with you Thrifty? dont you know extra tickets in the same draw dont help? i can under stand you buying 1 ticket in 32 draws, but i think you bought 8 or so tickets? ea draw.

we're very dissapointed in you,

Buying 1 ticket in 32 draws versus  32 tickets in one draw?

The ironic thing is that you either Win or Lose in both situations. The lottery is always a Win or Lose situation no matter how many tickets we buy.

Which bet would you make?

US Flag

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        12118 Posts
                        Posted: April 9, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Nobody's saying you have to spend that much, Thrifty.  It's all about personal preference.  People get on you not because you're not willing to spend more, but because you're so insistent upon preaching that everyone must follow your lead.

At present I spend $8 a draw on MM (4 lines with Megaplier, 2 of which are QPs) and $3 a draw on Powerball (1 line with Power Play).  This is in addition to playing various NY state games.  If the jackpots get into buzz-generating territory I might get a few additional QPs, but I'm comfortable with my current level of spending.

"People get on you not because you're not willing to spend more, but because you're so insistent upon preaching that everyone must follow your lead."

I do not want anybody to follow my lead. I am sorry if I was perceived that way.

Should I replace the WE with an I in my signature?

US Flag

meetoo's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #124862
                          March 21, 2012
                          41 Posts
                          Posted: April 9, 2012, 11:13 am - IP Logged

"They are called lottery dabblers"

I like to think of it as a lottery chaser. Knowing approx. when a lottery is most likely to be hit is half the battle for me which allows me to concentrate my efforts to several different lotteries and playing only at those specific time periods.

Funds allocated to playing year round can then be used in a concentrated time period utilizing the shotgun approach. It seems this may very well be what's taking place where the highest numbers of winners are located as it appears ironic

demographically that these areas are  higher income areas. Higher income areas essentially means more discretionary income to allocate to playing lotteries. More income = more lines. More lines = more chances.

More chances = greater win ratio

May You Prosper and be in Health!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                            East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            451 Posts
                            Posted: April 9, 2012, 11:51 am - IP Logged

You have to be in it to win it.

The world's biggest lottery jackpot ($656M MM jackpot) took $32 from me. I will not make the same mistake again.

I fully agree Thrifty.  There's no other way to win.

I must admit that I had some buyers regret after buying tickets for the record JP.  This might sound a little crazy, but I felt like I had less chances to win even though I spent more because of all the people playing.  I'd almost feel better winning a smaller JP (ok, any jp) than the record one because I feel like I have a better chance to win.

I'm still focused on trying to win the Classic Lotto here in Ohio.  Its up to $7.2 million.  And with less people playing an better odds (6/49), I usually feel confident with the numbers I pick, though my results are less than stellar, so far.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

meetoo's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #124862
                              March 21, 2012
                              41 Posts
                              Posted: April 9, 2012, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

"I'm still focused on trying to win the Classic Lotto here in Ohio"

Nightstalker, 7.2 million is a sweet jackpot but have you considered the frequency of payout on the Ohio Lotto. I use to play it myself however when I recently found information revealing it has only paid out

one jackpot in the previous twelve month time period, I quit playing it. My reasoning is that there are other state lotto's which payout much more frequently, as much as 20 times more frequent in the same time period. Frequency of payouts may

greatly enhance our abiltiy to win.  ( It has to pay out to win it ). I'm certainly not trying to discourage anyone from playing it. It just seems to me that I (we) are missing an important part of the equation since we are not factoring in frequency

payout. In all honesty, I'm not even sure if it's possible to factor it in. Hope it helps!

No regrets here on playing MM as has been mentioned "you have to be in it to win it" (catchy little phrase - kudo's to whomever is responsible for it).

May You Prosper and be in Health!