Some Baptists want Texas Lottery Commission shut down

Apr 17, 2012, 7:17 am (43 comments)

Texas Lottery

AUSTIN, Tx. — As lawmakers look at whether the Texas Lottery Commission is operating effectively, influential Baptists are suggesting the lottery shouldn't merely be tweaked. They want it abolished.

"Ask the pertinent questions. Has the lottery fulfilled its promise? My answer would be 'no,'" said Suzii Paynter, director of the Baptist Christian Life Commission, in an interview Friday.

Baptists contend the lottery was sold to Texans 20 years ago as a "voluntary, non-regressive" way to raise money, but instead it preys on the poor and caters to impulse purchases of scratch-off tickets. Attempts to bring in higher-income players with $50 scratch-off tickets haven't worked, they say.

They question whether the lottery has provided a real revenue increase for public education or has simply replaced other revenue sources.

About $1 billion a year from the lottery goes into a public education fund, after prize money, retail commissions and other expenses. Ticket sales in fiscal year 2011 totaled $3.8 billion, most of it coming from scratch-off tickets.

This year lottery sales are running 10 percent ahead of last year and are on track to surpass $4 billion for the year, Gary Grief, the lottery's executive director, told legislators earlier this month. Among top-grossing lotteries in the nation, Texas ranks fourth behind New York, Massachusetts and Florida.

The Texas Lottery Commission is one of several state agencies before the Sunset Advisory Commission, a panel of lawmakers and residents that recommends whether and how to keep an agency running. The full Legislature will make final decisions in 2013.

Although there may be bills next session proposing to do away with the lottery, state Rep. Dennis Bonnen, R-Angleton, the Sunset Commission chairman, warned in a recent public hearing that that isn't the issue his panel is taking up.

"It's our job to make sure agencies are doing their jobs effectively with what they've been tasked to do," he said. "Don't expect that we're going to put a poison pill in the sunset bill to end the lottery."

Sunset Commission staffers recommend continuing the 309-employee Lottery Commission for 12 more years, but with changes. Among the proposals are requiring lottery commissioners to approve major contracts, rather than placing the responsibility solely with the agency's executive director; expanding the commission's governing body from three to five members; and requiring the lottery to develop a comprehensive business plan.

Grief said the Lottery Commission embraces the recommendations.

Rob Kohler, a consultant for the Christian Life Commission, which is part of the Baptist General Convention of Texas, said the group's request to end the agency is not far-fetched. He noted that legislators a few years ago abolished the controversial Texas Residential Construction Commission.

Legislators have made heavy cuts to many areas of state government, and the lottery should be under consideration for elimination as well, Paynter said.

"I don't think it's unrealistic to talk about it going away," she said. "Things outlive their usefulness, as they say."

Paynter also wants legislators to examine whether there is enough public accessibility to the commission and sufficient competitiveness in awarding contracts.

Three companies made proposals for the most recent lottery operations contract, valued at $747 million over nine years. It was awarded to the incumbent contract holder, Gtech Corp.

Abilene Reporter-News

Comments

QuietMoney

It's not the lottery that is keeping Americans down, it's the slave wages that we are paid.

Lucky Loser

In all honesty, Texas does need to increase the odds, and, the amount of wins on scratch-offs. When I look around at other smaller states which seem to have many more frequent winners, I get upset with Texas because we're the largest state and should be doing it much bigger with our own people.

L.L.

brittkimsdad's avatarbrittkimsdad

"Baptists contend the lottery was sold to Texans 20 years ago as a "voluntary, non-regressive" way to raise money, but instead it preys on the poor and caters to impulse purchases ...."

Gotta love those hypocrites ...  yeah, try not paying your tithings in the Baptist Church and you'll see who preys on who.  When the Baptist Church opens up their financial books for all to see, then I'll consider their commentary as credible, otherwise, stop trying to legislate YOUR morality onto others.  If you don't want to gamble or play the games, then don't. 

However, I do agree with an earlier post recommending better odds.  If you spread some more of the wealth around, you are sure to get more people playing, thus raising profits.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

Quote: Originally posted by brittkimsdad on Apr 17, 2012

"Baptists contend the lottery was sold to Texans 20 years ago as a "voluntary, non-regressive" way to raise money, but instead it preys on the poor and caters to impulse purchases ...."

Gotta love those hypocrites ...  yeah, try not paying your tithings in the Baptist Church and you'll see who preys on who.  When the Baptist Church opens up their financial books for all to see, then I'll consider their commentary as credible, otherwise, stop trying to legislate YOUR morality onto others.  If you don't want to gamble or play the games, then don't. 

However, I do agree with an earlier post recommending better odds.  If you spread some more of the wealth around, you are sure to get more people playing, thus raising profits.

I Agree!

I stopped going to churches years ago because the various one's I attended all focused primarily on one thing...giving money to the church.  So then I started watching the line up on TV...they preach really good, get me all excited and then the sermon ends and the commercials begin...send some money and we will give you our new CD or DVD or book or holy water or prayer cloth or some other mess.  The only one's that seem sincere are the Jehovah Witnesses that go around the neighborhood....they have never asked me for money....and neither have the Mormons.   There is no point to this rant.  Sorry!  LOL

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Apr 17, 2012

I Agree!

I stopped going to churches years ago because the various one's I attended all focused primarily on one thing...giving money to the church.  So then I started watching the line up on TV...they preach really good, get me all excited and then the sermon ends and the commercials begin...send some money and we will give you our new CD or DVD or book or holy water or prayer cloth or some other mess.  The only one's that seem sincere are the Jehovah Witnesses that go around the neighborhood....they have never asked me for money....and neither have the Mormons.   There is no point to this rant.  Sorry!  LOL

If you invited the Jehova Witnesses into your home the reason they didn't ask for money was because they were in shock..nobody ever invited them in before and they were at a loss for words.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

95% of all evil in the world is  in the name religious beliefs

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Apr 17, 2012

Agree with stupid Hitler, Mao & Stalin were not religious ............ Progressives are the most evil!

Dizz

The Baptists want alcohol abolished also.

Apparently, it chaps their hide to know how much people are spending on lotto, rather than GIVING it to THEIR churches.

As far as "preys on the poor and caters impulse buys with scratch offs"..... See, I find this insulting because I cant say that ive EVER bought something that I didnt want. If a clerk asks " do you have your ticket? The Lotto is worth a quarter billion?" If I dont want one, I say no. duh.

Why why WHY!?!?!? Why do groups want to take things away? Gambling is illegal here in Texas already. The Lottery is the obvious exception.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Dizz on Apr 17, 2012

The Baptists want alcohol abolished also.

Apparently, it chaps their hide to know how much people are spending on lotto, rather than GIVING it to THEIR churches.

As far as "preys on the poor and caters impulse buys with scratch offs"..... See, I find this insulting because I cant say that ive EVER bought something that I didnt want. If a clerk asks " do you have your ticket? The Lotto is worth a quarter billion?" If I dont want one, I say no. duh.

Why why WHY!?!?!? Why do groups want to take things away? Gambling is illegal here in Texas already. The Lottery is the obvious exception.

Just because they are expressing their religious beliefs, doesn't mean that these things will happen!

I am not sure why people get so upset with Baptists expressing Baptist Beliefs!

I guess that Baptists are OK with some people as long as the Baptists don't act like Baptists ...........

As far as Alcohol is concerned, I do believe that many more people are killed by drunk drivers, than are killed by Baptists .............. just a guess ...............

If like Alcohol, don't impose YOUR beliefs on Baptists by getting drunk outa your skull, ramming your car into theirs and killing them!

Boney526's avatarBoney526

dpoly1, I believe your logic is flawed.

I don't think most people have a problem with them expressing their views, but dissent because the Baptists very readily attempt to use the arm of government to impose their values on other people.  Drunk Driving is already illegal, and so as far as alcohol is concerned, an attempt to ban it (which was already done) would be going too far, and is an imposition of force (by the government).

Not to say that a drunk driver killing isn't an imposition of force, but an irresponsible citizen can be put on trial, while the government imposing force can't, so we must be careful what regulations we have on people's lives.

There are other arguements for abolishing State Lotteries that I could get on board with, but those mainly have to do with private markets taking over.  And besides that, I do believe that a voluntary form of revenue for the government is preferable to taxation, which is done through the use of force, so I don't feel as strongly about the Lottery's being privatized as other government agencies and programs.

And while I'll agree that some of the worst people in the world were aetheists (more specifically, Communists or Fascists - and as an extension, aethiests) that doesn't mean that a lot of bad doesn't come from religious notjubs.  Bad people are bad people, "religious" or not.  You can't discount that, because most of the world's terrorists are religious exetremists.  Most good people who are religious do a lot of good, and most good people who aren't do nearly just as much.  Hell even "doing good" is relative to your own values.  It just depends on the individual.

Anyone who says most of the world's problems are caused by religion is ignoring lots of problems.  And anyone who says that most of the world's problems are caused by aetheists would also be wrong.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by Boney526 on Apr 17, 2012

dpoly1, I believe your logic is flawed.

I don't think most people have a problem with them expressing their views, but dissent because the Baptists very readily attempt to use the arm of government to impose their values on other people.  Drunk Driving is already illegal, and so as far as alcohol is concerned, an attempt to ban it (which was already done) would be going too far, and is an imposition of force (by the government).

Not to say that a drunk driver killing isn't an imposition of force, but an irresponsible citizen can be put on trial, while the government imposing force can't, so we must be careful what regulations we have on people's lives.

There are other arguements for abolishing State Lotteries that I could get on board with, but those mainly have to do with private markets taking over.  And besides that, I do believe that a voluntary form of revenue for the government is preferable to taxation, which is done through the use of force, so I don't feel as strongly about the Lottery's being privatized as other government agencies and programs.

And while I'll agree that some of the worst people in the world were aetheists (more specifically, Communists or Fascists - and as an extension, aethiests) that doesn't mean that a lot of bad doesn't come from religious notjubs.  Bad people are bad people, "religious" or not.  You can't discount that, because most of the world's terrorists are religious exetremists.  Most good people who are religious do a lot of good, and most good people who aren't do nearly just as much.  Hell even "doing good" is relative to your own values.  It just depends on the individual.

Anyone who says most of the world's problems are caused by religion is ignoring lots of problems.  And anyone who says that most of the world's problems are caused by aetheists would also be wrong.

Thumbs Up

Thank you for your most thoughtful and respectful response!

This is the kind of respectful and stimulating dialogue that is lacking today! Instead of attacking me, you rebut my assertions respectfully. I am impressed!

meetoo's avatarmeetoo

"I stopped going to churches years ago because the various one's I attended all focused primarily on one thing...giving money to the church.  So then I started watching the line up on TV...they preach really good, get me all excited and then the sermon ends and the commercials begin...send some money and we will give you our new CD or DVD or book or holy water or prayer cloth or some other mess.  The only one's that seem sincere are the Jehovah Witnesses that go around the neighborhood....they have never asked me for money....and neither have the Mormons.   There is no point to this rant.  Sorry!  LOL"

HT, men and women of God have a responsibility to present the truth even when it's not popular or contradicts society's preception of what should be taught or challenged. Having attended church for a long, long time now I can tell you from

experience that we are often most sensitive to the things we do not want to hear because we need to hear them most. Giving to the Lords work is as much a priveledge as it is a responsibility. Tithing is merely giving back to God a protion of

what He has already blessed us with. You cannot out give God! In his own words He challenges us to test Him in regards to our giving and He promises to pour us out a blessing we cannot contain. The blessings may be spiritual, financial, family,

health related etc... Personally, I've been blessed beyond my wildest expectations and look forward to even greater blessings in the future. May you and other's here at LP, experience the fullness of His peace, love and joy!

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by meetoo on Apr 17, 2012

"I stopped going to churches years ago because the various one's I attended all focused primarily on one thing...giving money to the church.  So then I started watching the line up on TV...they preach really good, get me all excited and then the sermon ends and the commercials begin...send some money and we will give you our new CD or DVD or book or holy water or prayer cloth or some other mess.  The only one's that seem sincere are the Jehovah Witnesses that go around the neighborhood....they have never asked me for money....and neither have the Mormons.   There is no point to this rant.  Sorry!  LOL"

HT, men and women of God have a responsibility to present the truth even when it's not popular or contradicts society's preception of what should be taught or challenged. Having attended church for a long, long time now I can tell you from

experience that we are often most sensitive to the things we do not want to hear because we need to hear them most. Giving to the Lords work is as much a priveledge as it is a responsibility. Tithing is merely giving back to God a protion of

what He has already blessed us with. You cannot out give God! In his own words He challenges us to test Him in regards to our giving and He promises to pour us out a blessing we cannot contain. The blessings may be spiritual, financial, family,

health related etc... Personally, I've been blessed beyond my wildest expectations and look forward to even greater blessings in the future. May you and other's here at LP, experience the fullness of His peace, love and joy!

I Agree!

Christian Bashing is very popular these days ............... but that is OK for "Progressives", because they get to decide what is "Hate Speech" .......... Mad

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I say we kill all the violent people.

Lucky SOB

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Apr 17, 2012

there wont be any one left on earth if you did that

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

ROTFLOL!  Crazy

that'l teach'em to be violent ...........

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Apr 17, 2012

I've been saying that for years..

"About $1 billion a year from the lottery goes into a public education fund, after prize money, retail commissions and other expenses.

..are the baptists ready to assume that tab for the schools?

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

yeah they'll build baptist schools.

Piaceri

As one of those Bitter Clingers who enjoys the lottery, I say hands off my lottery, Bible Thumpers! No No 

PS - love the sunset laws in Texas, and loved hearing the sunset commission is in favor of continuing the lottery.

Lucky Loser

I can respect every single one of these opinions as we're purposely and rightfully designed to all think differently on all matters. However, in the end, when a state as large as Texas still has approximately the same overall prize payouts as states reasonably smaller (less populated), I see a big problem. More money going in should equal a parity of outgoing prizes per dollar spent...and there isn't. Five people can go into a corner store purchasing all high dollar ($20 or up) scratch-offs and not one will win anything worthwhile.

I believe the prize matrix is all wrong, and, it didn't use to be this way when things first started here, you know. In fact, I spoke with a complete stranger this morning about this very thing and the first thing they said was, "You know, I used to win big, and, more often years ago when I bought high price tickets." The I see it is now that they've gotten things rolling pretty good, they've cut way down on the outgoing which isn't fair to any of us who've been participating over the years. There's no reason why a player shouldn't get at least a portion of their money back based on cost(s) of the ticket(s). 

No, I'm not saying that everyone should win every time, but rather if more prize money was allotted that players would be okay knowing that at some point they win pretty good. As it is, I can go into any store and purchase several $20 tickets and be very, very lucky to see $5. This really needs to change in my opinion.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I don't think we should be painting all Baptists with that same broad brush. 99% of 'em are good, decent, honest people who mind their own business.

It's just some of the Preachers that sometimes tend to be zealots and busybodies. I've had run-ins with 'em my own self about drinking and serving alcohol at public events in my area. They can be very stubborn. Even when I tell them that Jesus drank alcohol and even made alcohol out of water when they ran out of it at a wedding party.

But don't blame the whole congregation or all Baptists for the zealotry of a few Preachers.

I know Baptists who drink and I know Baptists who play the lottery too.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Apr 17, 2012

As one of those Bitter Clingers who enjoys the lottery, I say hands off my lottery, Bible Thumpers! No No 

PS - love the sunset laws in Texas, and loved hearing the sunset commission is in favor of continuing the lottery.

sunset laws are good, now combine them w/ term limits and we got it going.

Piaceri

I don't think we should be painting all Baptists with that same broad brush. 99% of 'em are good, decent, honest people who mind their own business.

It's just some of the Preachers that sometimes tend to be zealots and busybodies. I've had run-ins with 'em my own self about drinking and serving alcohol at public events in my area. They can be very stubborn. Even when I tell them that Jesus drank alcohol and even made alcohol out of water when they ran out of it at a wedding party.

But don't blame the whole congregation or all Baptists for the zealotry of a few Preachers.

My Mom's family is Southern Baptists. I am Catholic (Mom converted), but spent many a summer with my cousins at their vacation bible school. Being a heathen Catholic provided lots of summer fun with them. :D  They are a very good, honest, hard working, God fearing family, and they know how to throw a good party. And I'd be willing to bet most of them play the lottery now and again.  It's a few bad apples that show the more extreme side now and again. Not bad people, but people who just take things too far and want everyone to follow the rules that they themselves live.

I do agree that the Texas lottery winnings are slim.  I go through hot and cold periods with the scratchers, mostly cold. :(  I had better winnings on fewer scratchers in MI. In Texas, I have bought 5 $10 tickets and walked away completely skunked even though the lottery claims the win ratio is something like 1:2.5678.

TERRY281

Thats Not Right At All

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by TERRY281 on Apr 17, 2012

Thats Not Right At All

Kinda vague here...please be more specific on what's not right.

L.L.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by Piaceri on Apr 17, 2012

My Mom's family is Southern Baptists. I am Catholic (Mom converted), but spent many a summer with my cousins at their vacation bible school. Being a heathen Catholic provided lots of summer fun with them. :D  They are a very good, honest, hard working, God fearing family, and they know how to throw a good party. And I'd be willing to bet most of them play the lottery now and again.  It's a few bad apples that show the more extreme side now and again. Not bad people, but people who just take things too far and want everyone to follow the rules that they themselves live.

I do agree that the Texas lottery winnings are slim.  I go through hot and cold periods with the scratchers, mostly cold. :(  I had better winnings on fewer scratchers in MI. In Texas, I have bought 5 $10 tickets and walked away completely skunked even though the lottery claims the win ratio is something like 1:2.5678.

This is what I'm getting at. I know people in other states that win very frequently...and the larger prizes at that! It's not hard for these people to walk into a store and drop $20 total on tickets and at least get their money back, or, most of it. This is what it's all about...rewarding the players because without them, there is no successful lottery at all.

L.L.

Mil$Winner!'s avatarMil$Winner!

I Agree!, most of the Baptist folks I know are just regular down to earth people.

As a side note: while I definitely don't agree with the Baptist's position here, all people are allowed to try to influence public policy, regardless of their religious beliefs. They've phrased their position in secular terms here. They've said they don't like the lottery because it "preys on the poor" and "caters to impulse purchases."  They haven't said anything about their doctrinal beliefs, so their religious beliefs aren't all that relevant.  Other people in the public square can respond to their arguments rationally, and that's all that civil discourse requires. 

My response would be that they are wet blankets, and I am glad that they are likely to fail in abolishing the lottery. Some studies I have read say that poor people play the lottery more; some don't. Either way, poor people who earn their money have a right to decide how to spend it. And all kinds of products cater to impulse purchases... including the candy racks at the check-out ailses. Neither of the reasons presented in the article seem compelling to me, esp. when you are talking about states that are incredibly strapped and cutting essential services, like the budget for police departments and school systems. How else are you going to get people to WILLINGLY pay the government $4 billion/year?  We have to pay for public education one way or another. Might as well do it the fun way.

Brisco

I think the most salient point they make is about whether the lottery has provided a real revenue increase or just replaced other revenue sources.

I have always thought of it like this. The lawmakers come and tell us they are going to give us MORE money for education if we have the lottery. They tell us the money is marked for education. That's great. But that is not enough for them not to scam the taxpayers. Legally, the law makers have to spend the lottery revenue on education, however they can take the other money that was previously funding education and spend that money elsewhere. This gives no actual increase in the education budget.

I would love, love, love to see a study which showed the year-to-year education budget PRIOR to the lottery extrapolated to today. In other words, I want to know what we would have been spending on education today if there was never a lottery and then compare that to what we are spending on the lottery. I think what we will find if that there has been zero benefit to education. That doesn't stop lawmakers from telling us about the billions the lottery has given to education (so that they can rob the education funds of the billions that would have come from the general fund!)

And us chumps just sit here and eat it up.

Also, if the commission billed the lottery as a non-regressive tax, they probably need to go look those words up. I doubt Bill Gates is spending as much dollar-for-dollar on the lottery as the average working poor does. It is, however, voluntary.

Brisco

I also wanted to say my pastor is a great guy. He takes a small salary and lives humbly. Despite his small means he is generous with his money and leads by example. He doesn't hold people up to the standard he lives by. But he does encourage us and lift us up.

"Tithing" is an old testament word. The people back then actually had many other financial obligations to the temple beyond "titihing" and manditorily gave way above 10% in addition to their freewill offerings.

Here are some quotes from the new testament:

Mark 12:41-44 (New International Version) Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on."

2 Corinthians 9:7 (New International Version) Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

1 Corinthians 16:2 (New International Version) On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Jesus mentions money a lot. I could post many more things here, but this is not a sermon. I just wanted to show that God is not interested in a dollar amount or a percentage, but He is interested in your heart! Some give more, some give less. Let God be the judge of their hearts.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

They would take a lotto winners donations in a heartbeat.

HoLeeKau's avatarHoLeeKau

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Apr 17, 2012

I Agree!

Mormons don't ask for money until you join their church.  After you're a member, they demand it.  You can't be a member in good standing unless you're giving 10% of your income in tithe.

Utah has never had a lottery.  They want all the extra money going to the Mormon church, not into the state education system.

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by HoLeeKau on Apr 18, 2012

Mormons don't ask for money until you join their church.  After you're a member, they demand it.  You can't be a member in good standing unless you're giving 10% of your income in tithe.

Utah has never had a lottery.  They want all the extra money going to the Mormon church, not into the state education system.

My Wife is LDS so I am able to see things from a unique perspective, especially since I am not LDS. While it is recommended that they do, members of the church are not forced into giving a tithe. It just means that they do not get to keep specific privledges. However not giving a tithe does not prevent members from attending religious services, recreational church sponsored events (Chili Cookoffs, Pot Luck Dinners, etc.), or from recieving financial or food assistance. During the time that we've been married, there have been many months that my Wife was unable to give a tithe, she has not been treated any differently by her Bishop or the other church elders because of it. One thing that I find especially interesting is that LDS do not pass around an offering plate during services, which is unlike what I have seen at the Catholic, Baptist and Pentecostal services that I have been to. You could basically say the tithe is their version of the offering plate, it seems the bonus to this is that you don't have to show everyone in the congegation what you are donating to the church and to God.

Just quoting some of the scripture from the King James Version of the Bible, to back up the practice of tithes and offerings. It seems that no matter what your denomination of the Christian faith or any other religion, giving something back to the church is not a bad thing.

Genesis 28:22

22And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Malachi 3:8-18

8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

13Your words have been stout against me, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?

14Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?

15And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.

16Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

17And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

18Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

While I am not Mormon and do not have any current plans to be (I am not giving up my rum, coffee or tea, sorry folks. :P ), it is still the faith of my Wife, so I am going to defend it. I have not decided yet on which denomination that I want to settle with, perhaps Catholic as I like the structure and order within their church. I still would like to attend Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist and Pagan services before I make a final decision. I guess if we ever move to Utah, I'll have to make trips up to Idaho to buy my lotto tickets, LOL!

On Topic :

I don't think this proposal from the Baptists is gonna fly down here in Texas, folks here love their Powerball and Mega Millions games way too much. One thing that the TLC should definitely look into is changing up the matrix on our main jackpot game or get rid of the one game completely. For the 6/54 Wednesday and Saturday drawings, our odds of winning the big prize are 1:25,827,165. In recent years, we've seen the jackpot roll up to 63 times before a winner was drawn. Folks just aren't interested in playing a game that hardly ever gets won. We would do much better with a 6/49 or a 6/50 matrix.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Kumo on Apr 18, 2012

My Wife is LDS so I am able to see things from a unique perspective, especially since I am not LDS. While it is recommended that they do, members of the church are not forced into giving a tithe. It just means that they do not get to keep specific privledges. However not giving a tithe does not prevent members from attending religious services, recreational church sponsored events (Chili Cookoffs, Pot Luck Dinners, etc.), or from recieving financial or food assistance. During the time that we've been married, there have been many months that my Wife was unable to give a tithe, she has not been treated any differently by her Bishop or the other church elders because of it. One thing that I find especially interesting is that LDS do not pass around an offering plate during services, which is unlike what I have seen at the Catholic, Baptist and Pentecostal services that I have been to. You could basically say the tithe is their version of the offering plate, it seems the bonus to this is that you don't have to show everyone in the congegation what you are donating to the church and to God.

Just quoting some of the scripture from the King James Version of the Bible, to back up the practice of tithes and offerings. It seems that no matter what your denomination of the Christian faith or any other religion, giving something back to the church is not a bad thing.

Genesis 28:22

22And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Malachi 3:8-18

8Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts.

12And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

13Your words have been stout against me, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?

14Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?

15And now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered.

16Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

17And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

18Then shall ye return, and discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.

While I am not Mormon and do not have any current plans to be (I am not giving up my rum, coffee or tea, sorry folks. :P ), it is still the faith of my Wife, so I am going to defend it. I have not decided yet on which denomination that I want to settle with, perhaps Catholic as I like the structure and order within their church. I still would like to attend Islamic, Jewish, Buddhist and Pagan services before I make a final decision. I guess if we ever move to Utah, I'll have to make trips up to Idaho to buy my lotto tickets, LOL!

On Topic :

I don't think this proposal from the Baptists is gonna fly down here in Texas, folks here love their Powerball and Mega Millions games way too much. One thing that the TLC should definitely look into is changing up the matrix on our main jackpot game or get rid of the one game completely. For the 6/54 Wednesday and Saturday drawings, our odds of winning the big prize are 1:25,827,165. In recent years, we've seen the jackpot roll up to 63 times before a winner was drawn. Folks just aren't interested in playing a game that hardly ever gets won. We would do much better with a 6/49 or a 6/50 matrix.

I have a couple of aunts that belong to the Mormon church.According to them you don't have to give up your rum,coffee or tea.You would just be known as a "jack Mormon" if you consumed these beverages.

pumpi76

why will they want to shut down Texas State Lottery????

pumpi76

i know that people in Texas play less lottery than in other states, for example the state of Georgia generates: 2 billion years ago and georgia has half the population as the State of Texas...Texas should had been reaching: $4 billion in revenue 5 to 6 years ago...But still that shouldnt be need to shut down the Texas state lottery...

but since most revenue come from scratchoffs and i am assuming they are expensive scratchoffs...

not texas...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Apr 20, 2012

why will they want to shut down Texas State Lottery????

I heard they wanna put a parking lot there.

Don't quote me on that though.

Seattlejohn

Some people just never learn.  Haven't these churchgoers ever heard of prohibition?  Yup, self-righteous types just like them thought they'd eliminated what they saw as an evil by what they thought was shutting it down.  Only, what they actually did was to make it more popular, and create a billion dollar organized crime revenue source (and helping the Mafia become a major cancer on society).  Shutting down the lottery just means that players will either play out of state lotteries (increasing the possibility of online lottery scams) or they'll play "numbers" (thereby feeding revenue into organized crime's pocketbook). 

You'd think that these people would do the bare minimum of due diligence or research, but no.  I guess none of them have ever heard the phrase "If you ignore the results of the lessons history teaches us, you're doomed to repeat them".  What a bunch of morons...

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

When the casino business expanded to river boat casinos in the South and Midwest a lot of church groups were opposed to the boats.

As it turned out the concern was they were worried about competition with their bingo games (OK, not Baptists in this case, but still...).

My wife and I went to a different church than swe normally do one sunday morning and this one guy was having a fit because he had stopped to gas up his car and the clerk asked him if he wanted a lottery ticket. He didn't like that and asked to talk to the manager. The manager told him that's what the clerks at that station are trained to do. The guy was even more upset about that.

fundamentalist,  n.

Someone who is absolutely paranoid that someone, somewhere, is actually enjoying themselves.

Bang Head

Kumo's avatarKumo

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 19, 2012

I have a couple of aunts that belong to the Mormon church.According to them you don't have to give up your rum,coffee or tea.You would just be known as a "jack Mormon" if you consumed these beverages.

I guess I'll have to ask my wife about my gambling and my Sailor's mouth, lol! I've got a couple of Mormon ancestors back in the family tree, but the majority of my line is Catholic, Methodist and Puritan colonists. I've never been able to just take that the world was just "created" 6,000 years ago as fact, but I do not think that we just "evolved" here without divine intervention. Something seems to be missing in both creationism and evolution. My personal hypothesis is both will eventually be connected into one theory, Religion cannot deny the existance of Science and Science cannot disprove the existance of God. Creationism alone cannot explain the dinosaurs (fossils in millions of year old rock). Evolution alone cannot explain evidence of miracles (Shroud of Turin, Incorruptables, Spiral Staircase of Loretto Chapel, etc).

It definitely has given me a lot to think about over the years and is the main reason why I have not commited to any single religion or school of thought.

On topic: Lotto Texas will probably roll tonight for the 19th time this jackpot and up to $23 Million for Wednesday... it's more fun and satisfying watching paint dry.

Folks seem to have a lot of fun with scratch tickets, Pick 3 and Cash 5 around here though.

libra926

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 17, 2012

If you invited the Jehova Witnesses into your home the reason they didn't ask for money was because they were in shock..nobody ever invited them in before and they were at a loss for words.

CHyperLETU$2

U are soooo funnny U need to stop....I luv reading your posts....I cannot stop laughing..even though this is an old

post I have tears running down my cheeks...because U are soooo baddd....U are one of the few posters that have

a       "great sense of humor"       there are some other posters that I luv to read as well, but

U MUST BE THE "LIFE OF THE PARTY"                    LOLOLOOLOLO 

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by libra926 on Apr 28, 2012

CHyperLETU$2

U are soooo funnny U need to stop....I luv reading your posts....I cannot stop laughing..even though this is an old

post I have tears running down my cheeks...because U are soooo baddd....U are one of the few posters that have

a       "great sense of humor"       there are some other posters that I luv to read as well, but

U MUST BE THE "LIFE OF THE PARTY"                    LOLOLOOLOLO 

You think that was funny?Well,try this one on for size.I have an Aunt and two cousins that are Mormons.Bet you can't guess what they do for fun.Well,I'll tell you.They go to funerals.Not just funerals of people that they knew,but complete strangers.They read the obituary column in the local newspaper and if a person doesn't have any relatives,they will show up for the funeral.I guess they figure that the preacher needs to preach to someone~;)Crazy

lot-to man

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Apr 28, 2012

You think that was funny?Well,try this one on for size.I have an Aunt and two cousins that are Mormons.Bet you can't guess what they do for fun.Well,I'll tell you.They go to funerals.Not just funerals of people that they knew,but complete strangers.They read the obituary column in the local newspaper and if a person doesn't have any relatives,they will show up for the funeral.I guess they figure that the preacher needs to preach to someone~;)Crazy

I choose my numbers from the obituaries, but only if the deceased are 59 years or younger. What a way to win some money because I have won some, but not enough to retire. The Baptists Mail For Youplay Bingo, so why are they against the Lottery?

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by lot-to man on May 4, 2012

I choose my numbers from the obituaries, but only if the deceased are 59 years or younger. What a way to win some money because I have won some, but not enough to retire. The Baptists Mail For Youplay Bingo, so why are they against the Lottery?

Preacher man talkin' on TV

Puttin' down the rock and roll

Wants me to send a donation

Cuz he's worried about my soul

He said Jesus walked on the water

And I know that is true

But sometimes I think that preacherman

Would like to do a little walkin' too

But I ain't asking nobody for nothin'

If I cant get it on my own

If you don't like the way I'm livin'

Ya just leave this long haired country boy alone

~Charlie Daniels

I don't believe it's the Baptist people themselves against the lottery.

I think it's just a few overzealous preachers. We can't condemn all of 'em for what the preacherman says.

I know a lotta ol' Baptist boys that play the lottery.

Some of 'em even take a little hit off the jug fer medicinal purposes ever now and again too.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story