Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:16 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A trick to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #128372
May 22, 2012
8 Posts
Posted: May 22, 2012, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if its legally possible to sell your winning ticket to a bank or inverstor(s) in order to remain anonymous. Does anyone know if this is legal to do?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
    Texas
    United States
    Member #92330
    June 5, 2010
    887 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2012, 2:55 am - IP Logged

I don't know for sure, but I'm almost positive that any bank would immediately turn you away for asking. I don't think there's anything illegal about it but the bank just really isn't for this type of thing. I'm sure they'll be happy to inform you that they'll waive the membership fee for their special checking/saving account if you put your money in their bank, though.

If you "sell" your ticket to any entity you will no longer be in control of the ticket as their name will have to be on it (especially since you want anonymity). You'd have to make some sort of legal contract with them which would require getting it notarized most likely. Also whenever they pay out to you (if everything up to that point works out) then you may have to pay additional taxes other than the original taxes, since YOU aren't the winner getting the money but rather an additional person getting paid. And remember, that's only if said contract could hold up in court, if not then you'd be out everything and there wouldn't be anything you could do. You'd likely want to hire a lawyer/attorney to be on your side and guarantee everything is safe.

I don't think any route would get you past having to report it to the IRS, as I'm sure every legit entity you "sold" the ticket to would report it to the IRS themselves. Unless you go the route of a random guy you have faith that they'll actually give you the money, and even then issues with the IRS may come up in which case they could eventually find out and you'd be charged with a possible felony.

My tip would be to either find a way to play in a state that allows anonymous claims or to collect winnings via a trust. For the second option any reputable person who can set one up should be able to do it in the correct way for this situation. I believe they can do it so that you are not the owner, but a beneficiary and all people will be able to find out about whichever trust won would be the owner/president which would be your lawyer/attorney/someone else not you. If you think about how often in the past people have claimed via a trust/LLC, you really don't ever know anything else about that jackpot winner in the future unless they come forward publicly to say they've won.

If you can't get to a state that lets you claim anonymously (you may be able to play online from one, not sure) and your current state doesn't let people claim through a trust... I don't know anyting else other than to say you could go through the process of changing your name and showing up to claim wearing a (modest) costume so nobody will know what you actually look like.

That's all the 'bored at night' advice I have.

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2012, 3:59 am - IP Logged

how about changing your name legally and wearing a wig and sunglasses at the press conference?

you can change your name to jesus alexander mohammed james...those are pretty common...

learn to speak in a differentt accent, jamaican, indian, chinese...or pretend your deaf and dumb to annoy the media...

or have your wife go to the press conference and have her wear a burka...that way you are stealthy like a ninja...Goof

Belgium
        Member #128218
        May 19, 2012
        96 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2012, 6:47 am - IP Logged

It depends in which country you live.  In some countries is this legally, in others is this not legally...

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:01 am - IP Logged

I was wondering if its legally possible to sell your winning ticket to a bank or inverstor(s) in order to remain anonymous. Does anyone know if this is legal to do?

I'd be willing to be your "investor". I would have only your best interests at heart, and will totally guarantee your anonymity.  Surrender

In consideration of my professional services, my fee would be a mere 10% of the gross lottery winnings.

You may reach me at helpmeremainanonymous.com   See Ya!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6305 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP Tracy,  you can always do what the lady(pharmacist) in Illinois did a few years back with her disguise idea. The best thing for you to do is seek professional advice from a reputable attorney. You can also contact your local lottery commision office they usually have a list of attorney & accountants firm that they refer winners to.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post Tracy!  Good luck!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5143 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:41 am - IP Logged

I'd be willing to be your "investor". I would have only your best interests at heart, and will totally guarantee your anonymity.  Surrender

In consideration of my professional services, my fee would be a mere 10% of the gross lottery winnings.

You may reach me at helpmeremainanonymous.com   See Ya!

White BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce

$ound$ like G@@D deal MG:

PSYKO wants to enguage UR HELP

provided UR fee based on the net

return of jackpot, not gross!

yours truly,

The $tealthy Healthy Ninja

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:53 am - IP Logged

White BounceWhite BounceWhite Bounce

$ound$ like G@@D deal MG:

PSYKO wants to enguage UR HELP

provided UR fee based on the net

return of jackpot, not gross!

yours truly,

The $tealthy Healthy Ninja

Jack-in-the-Box

I will give your counteroffer some very serious consideration psykomo.   Roll Eyes     Because of your outstanding and positive presence here at

LP,    Jack-in-the-Box   I believe that we can come to some sort of meeting of the minds.   Love

After all, let's not let greed get in the way of serving our fellow members here.       No No

Thank you once again, for considering my services at helpmeremainanonymous.com    See Ya!

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Are you saying you want to get the money and say that you DIDNT. or do you want to not get the money and say that you DID???? Because the second option is what family is for.

This question helps prove that people are actually afraid of winning, and the only reason they play is because the "risk" of winning is so very low.

United States
                      Member #128372
                      May 22, 2012
                      8 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2012, 11:38 am - IP Logged

I'M not sure why a bank would reject the offer unless it was illegal or not cost effective. Banks are in the business to invest money to make money. If a bank could invest lets say $50 million on a $100 million dollar ticket, they would make $50 million over 26 years (not including taxes) from the ticket. But I'M not sure if it would be cost effective for a bank to do this, a bank may be able to make more than $50 million on  $50 million over 26 years

Of course I would expect to receive all the money up front and pay taxes on it, and lawyers would certainly be involved.  I would dread being publicly identified as the winner because I have scores of friends and family that would hound me for financial assistance, and I would end up losing many if them as friends if I did not financially assist them all equally

Of course I would have no problem helping the ones that needed it to some degree, but you can't do that without alienating all the rest at the same time.

And if a trust is possible that is also an option, but i thought I read a trust is not allowed in some states. I live in Illinois and I do not know the laws on this. Another reason why I considered selling the ticket is because I may be able to get larger one lump sum from an investor than I would from the state

United States
                        Member #128372
                        May 22, 2012
                        8 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP Tracy,  you can always do what the lady(pharmacist) in Illinois did a few years back with her disguise idea. The best thing for you to do is seek professional advice from a reputable attorney. You can also contact your local lottery commision office they usually have a list of attorney & accountants firm that they refer winners to.

I live in Illinois but never heard of the lady pharmacist, Ill have to look it up. But her name would still be public.

I may be forced change my name and disguise myself as a pharmacist

United States
                          Member #128372
                          May 22, 2012
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2012, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Are you saying you want to get the money and say that you DIDNT. or do you want to not get the money and say that you DID???? Because the second option is what family is for.

This question helps prove that people are actually afraid of winning, and the only reason they play is because the "risk" of winning is so very low.

Of course I want to get it, I just don't want everyone to know it. If there is a legal way to do this in illinois I would love to know what it is

Bahamas
                            Member #114685
                            August 5, 2011
                            422 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2012, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

STEP 1: Win

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7344 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2012, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Of course I want to get it, I just don't want everyone to know it. If there is a legal way to do this in illinois I would love to know what it is

"I just don't want everyone to know it."

The real trick is remaining anonymous after getting the money. Do you really believe your family and friends won't notice you quit your job, bought several new vehicles, a new house with brand new furnishings, and the obvious change in lifestyle?

"If there is a leagal way to do this in illinois I would love to know it"

Nobody will buy the ticket before actually checking the value and I wouldn't hand it unsigned to anybody. Some players hand their unsigned tickets to store clerks and are told the tickets are worthless or only won a couple of bucks. You can't remain anonymous by signing the back of the ticket and anyone can sign their name to an unsigned ticket and cash it. It's not the same as a check with "pay to the order of".

If you find a way to cash the ticket anonymously, let me know because I can't even a anonymus email account without getting lots of spam.