Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A trick to remain anonymous?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3856 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2012, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

I thought about wearing some crazy costume if I win but if the costume is too crazy, news sources will pick up on it and then draw too much focus to the win. But I like the burka idea.

before going w/ the burka idea make sure muslims don't have any rule against gambling,

not saying they do but make sure.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if its legally possible to sell your winning ticket to a bank or inverstor(s) in order to remain anonymous. Does anyone know if this is legal to do?

Tracy,

Not sure, but a lottery ticket is a bearer bond, once signed the person or entity, like a trust, who signed it is the bearer.

The signer is going to be the one paying the taxes on it. I think it would be very doubtful that any bank would cash it in and pay those taxes. Along those lines, it's also very doubtful that the person with the ticket could pay the bank up front beforehand. Same goes for investors.

haymaker,

I don't know about A.C. but some muslims sure like hanging out in Las Vegas. Not sure of the official islamic stance on gambling but I know they don't like booze but before 911 the creeps who flew the planes were hanging out in strip clubs in Florida.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Tracy,

Not sure, but a lottery ticket is a bearer bond, once signed the person or entity, like a trust, who signed it is the bearer.

The signer is going to be the one paying the taxes on it. I think it would be very doubtful that any bank would cash it in and pay those taxes. Along those lines, it's also very doubtful that the person with the ticket could pay the bank up front beforehand. Same goes for investors.

haymaker,

I don't know about A.C. but some muslims sure like hanging out in Las Vegas. Not sure of the official islamic stance on gambling but I know they don't like booze but before 911 the creeps who flew the planes were hanging out in strip clubs in Florida.

Coin Toss,

than maybe its like other things,

just the women are not permmited to do them.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        Whiskey Island
        United States
        Member #90216
        April 24, 2010
        12755 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Just form 5 or more Shells companies to claim the Jackpot Prize ( LLC'S ) ... With your Lawyer , Accountant and Press Agent  as stand in  for you !!!!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4806 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

before going w/ the burka idea make sure muslims don't have any rule against gambling,

not saying they do but make sure.

OMG I forgot! They do.  I would have been deader than a cartoonist drawing mohammed.

Back to the fat lady costume like they do on TV sometimes.

United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3856 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

OMG I forgot! They do.  I would have been deader than a cartoonist drawing mohammed.

Back to the fat lady costume like they do on TV sometimes.

Is the restriction on the women only ?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
              Texas
              United States
              Member #92330
              June 5, 2010
              887 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I'M not sure why a bank would reject the offer unless it was illegal or not cost effective. Banks are in the business to invest money to make money. If a bank could invest lets say $50 million on a $100 million dollar ticket, they would make $50 million over 26 years (not including taxes) from the ticket. But I'M not sure if it would be cost effective for a bank to do this, a bank may be able to make more than $50 million on  $50 million over 26 years

Of course I would expect to receive all the money up front and pay taxes on it, and lawyers would certainly be involved.  I would dread being publicly identified as the winner because I have scores of friends and family that would hound me for financial assistance, and I would end up losing many if them as friends if I did not financially assist them all equally

Of course I would have no problem helping the ones that needed it to some degree, but you can't do that without alienating all the rest at the same time.

And if a trust is possible that is also an option, but i thought I read a trust is not allowed in some states. I live in Illinois and I do not know the laws on this. Another reason why I considered selling the ticket is because I may be able to get larger one lump sum from an investor than I would from the state

I don't think a bank would do what you're asking simply because that's not what they're in the business for (accepting somebody's lottery winnings). I mean you could try, the worst that would happen is they'd say no, but I just wouldn't count on it.

I really doubt you'd get anything more from selling the ticket than you would if you claimed yourself or through a trust. Going by what I know of people selling their annuity payments or even shady sellings of other winning lottery tickets (from watching different investigative shows about the lottery) is that you get something like half of what the win/payment would be.

As for the trust, last I checked Illinois allowed trusts/LLCs to claim. Since your lawyer/attorney would be representing you they should be able to stand-in at the news conference for you... I know it's been done before. I found this one article of a couple winning $30 million and are still anonymous after claiming through an LLC. Not even their kids are aware.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-06/news/ct-met-anonymous-lottery-20111106_1_lottery-winners-illinois-lottery-lottery-jackpot

They were able to get past the press conference since the lottery commission was going through a change in management, but it's highly likely the lawyer would have been able to represent them.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4806 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Is the restriction on the women only ?

I think it applies to everyone.

United States
                  Member #128372
                  May 22, 2012
                  8 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

I don't think a bank would do what you're asking simply because that's not what they're in the business for (accepting somebody's lottery winnings). I mean you could try, the worst that would happen is they'd say no, but I just wouldn't count on it.

I really doubt you'd get anything more from selling the ticket than you would if you claimed yourself or through a trust. Going by what I know of people selling their annuity payments or even shady sellings of other winning lottery tickets (from watching different investigative shows about the lottery) is that you get something like half of what the win/payment would be.

As for the trust, last I checked Illinois allowed trusts/LLCs to claim. Since your lawyer/attorney would be representing you they should be able to stand-in at the news conference for you... I know it's been done before. I found this one article of a couple winning $30 million and are still anonymous after claiming through an LLC. Not even their kids are aware.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11-06/news/ct-met-anonymous-lottery-20111106_1_lottery-winners-illinois-lottery-lottery-jackpot

They were able to get past the press conference since the lottery commission was going through a change in management, but it's highly likely the lawyer would have been able to represent them.

Excellent ttech10 , thanks, thats exactly the information I was looking for. Lets just hope the illinois lottery officials don't change the rules before I win. LOL

If you all see the T- LLC  become a winner in illinois, you know it was me.

United States
                    Member #128372
                    May 22, 2012
                    8 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Just form 5 or more Shells companies to claim the Jackpot Prize ( LLC'S ) ... With your Lawyer , Accountant and Press Agent  as stand in  for you !!!!

Yes I just learned about LLC's here on this board.  I'M wondering why more people don't do this. Huge amounts of money can destroys friendships

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2012, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Excellent ttech10 , thanks, thats exactly the information I was looking for. Lets just hope the illinois lottery officials don't change the rules before I win. LOL

If you all see the T- LLC  become a winner in illinois, you know it was me.

I have heard that non-profit orgaization can also cash tickets.

United States
                        Member #128372
                        May 22, 2012
                        8 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2012, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I have heard that non-profit orgaization can also cash tickets.

There you go, ill start my own charity where I am the sole beneficiary and hire you to be my spokesman

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: May 24, 2012, 1:00 am - IP Logged

I thought about wearing some crazy costume if I win but if the costume is too crazy, news sources will pick up on it and then draw too much focus to the win. But I like the burka idea.

That's a great ideal. Hire a make-up artist and claim your prize near Halloween.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: May 25, 2012, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering if its legally possible to sell your winning ticket to a bank or inverstor(s) in order to remain anonymous. Does anyone know if this is legal to do?

Before the drawing it's a chance, and there are laws against reselling it. Once the drawing is held it's a financial instrument with a fixed value and it's your property, so why wouldn't you be able to sell it?

The better questions are how much would somebody else pay for it, and how much are you willing to pay for some initial anonymity? A large corporation probably wouldn't be bothered by people looking for handouts the way an individual might be, so they might not require a huge payment to be the publicly identified winner. OTOH, is a big corporation going to bother in order to make a relatively small increase in their bottom line? An individual or small company would probably face the same publicity-related hassles as you, so I'd expect them to want to be rewarded well for being exposed to that.

Personally, I'm confident that I could become anonymous after the fact, so if you win I'll buy the ticket from you for 93% of its value. You pay all of my legal fees, and since there will be some cost in becoming anonymous I'll need a minimum after tax profit of $4.5 million. In all honesty you can probably find some drunken loser who will do it for less, but I can also offer complete discretion about the original purchaser.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10354 Posts
                              Posted: May 25, 2012, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I live in Illinois but never heard of the lady pharmacist, Ill have to look it up. But her name would still be public.

I may be forced change my name and disguise myself as a pharmacist

Tracy,

Here you go:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/172325

Her reasoning was that as a pharmacist if people knew she won Mega Millions she'd get malpractice cases thrown at her.

You might not want to pass yourself off as a pharmacist!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.