Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Think That 1 Quick Pick Ticket Is Random Enough To Win A Mega Millions Or Powerball Jackpot?

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

IS 1 MEGA MILLIONS OR POWERBALL QUICK PICK TICKET TRULY RANDOM?

Yes [ 23 ]  [76.67%]
No [ 7 ]  [23.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12094 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2012, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

I feel that 1 Mega Millions or Powerball Quick Pick ticket is random enough to win the jackpot because of the large field of numbers.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: May 23, 2012, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I feel that 1 Mega Millions or Powerball Quick Pick ticket is random enough to win the jackpot because of the large field of numbers.

Who cares if it's random, as long as it's the winning number.  Banana

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6305 Posts
      Posted: May 23, 2012, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

Yes, all it takes is one...Wink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2012, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Any combination is random enough to win, even a self-pick.  The odds of it winning are not changed by its randomness.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7341 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2012, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Arizona printed tickets with the same 10 QPs and said it was a "glitch" and were fixing the problem. If I can't get the same QP combination as you by happenstance, the QPs can't be really random.

The TN Lottery had a "do not repeat numbers" command on their Pick-5 drawing RNG and the same program was used for the Pick-3 and Pick-4 games. It's very possible all the QP generators are programed not to duplicate any previous combination for that drawing. Any type of command that would influence the selection would cause the process to be not random.

I believe the ball drawings are random so any combo you buy has a chance of winning. With over 175 million possibilities, we're still just buying a day or two worth of dreams.

Bahamas
            Member #114685
            August 5, 2011
            422 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2012, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Arizona printed tickets with the same 10 QPs and said it was a "glitch" and were fixing the problem. If I can't get the same QP combination as you by happenstance, the QPs can't be really random.

The TN Lottery had a "do not repeat numbers" command on their Pick-5 drawing RNG and the same program was used for the Pick-3 and Pick-4 games. It's very possible all the QP generators are programed not to duplicate any previous combination for that drawing. Any type of command that would influence the selection would cause the process to be not random.

I believe the ball drawings are random so any combo you buy has a chance of winning. With over 175 million possibilities, we're still just buying a day or two worth of dreams.

3 Random QPs won the historical jackpot.

Are you suggesting that all possible combinations have to be pulled by the system in order for it to issue that same QP again?

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

Belgium
              Member #128218
              May 19, 2012
              96 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2012, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Everything is possible...

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7341 Posts
                Posted: May 23, 2012, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

3 Random QPs won the historical jackpot.

Are you suggesting that all possible combinations have to be pulled by the system in order for it to issue that same QP again?

652 million tickets were sold and divided by 175 million = 3.725 but that includes self picks so it sure looks like it. Though I suspect it was much higher, for that drawing, PB says 70% to 80% of all ticket sales are QPs. 80% of ticket sales was 522 million and divided by 175 million = 3. 

If we knew when the ticket were sold we could make a case for Unsolved Mysteries.

Bahamas
                  Member #114685
                  August 5, 2011
                  422 Posts
                  Posted: May 23, 2012, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

652 million tickets were sold and divided by 175 million = 3.725 but that includes self picks so it sure looks like it. Though I suspect it was much higher, for that drawing, PB says 70% to 80% of all ticket sales are QPs. 80% of ticket sales was 522 million and divided by 175 million = 3. 

If we knew when the ticket were sold we could make a case for Unsolved Mysteries.

The "when" would certainly firm things up!

This theory would definitely explain why outside of record setting jackpots that only one person wins.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Whiskey Island
                    United States
                    Member #90216
                    April 24, 2010
                    12808 Posts
                    Posted: May 23, 2012, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

You're looking at it WRONG !! It does not matter about your  ticket numbers  , all that matters is if  the Drawn numbers match your TICKET !!!!!!  You could have 1 ticket or 10,000 tickets all that matters if the Balls Drawn Match your Ticket .....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19895 Posts
                      Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

You're looking at it WRONG !! It does not matter about your  ticket numbers  , all that matters is if  the Drawn numbers match your TICKET !!!!!!  You could have 1 ticket or 10,000 tickets all that matters if the Balls Drawn Match your Ticket .....

OR...

Your TICKET match the drawn numbers.

I think it's easier trying to pick a combination that will match the drawn numbers rather than picking combinations randomly with no strategy hoping the drawn numbers will match your numbers.  After all, there is only one set of drawn numbers but you have the advantage of picking several combinations and a memory of what has happened in the past.

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

OR...

I think it's easier trying to pick a combination that will match the drawn numbers rather than picking combinations randomly with no strategy hoping the drawn numbers will match your numbers.  After all, there is only one set of drawn numbers but you have the advantage of picking several combinations and a memory of what has happened in the past.

"...you have the advantage of picking several combinations and a memory of what has happened in the past."

Not me.

I have a terrible memory.

And don't say, well, write everything down then, cuz I'll forget where I wrote it down at.

I can't remember where my pen is anyway.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7341 Posts
                          Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

OR...

I've always looked at buying QPs as a random drawing (1 out of 175 million or whatever the matrix is) so I have to match two equally random drawings to win the jackpot. It's possible each QP is unique and can only be matched by a self pick or if more tickets are sold than the number of combinations in the matrix.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19895 Posts
                            Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

"...you have the advantage of picking several combinations and a memory of what has happened in the past."

Not me.

I have a terrible memory.

And don't say, well, write everything down then, cuz I'll forget where I wrote it down at.

I can't remember where my pen is anyway.

Write it down in a computer file with a name that easy to remember, that what I do.  I don't need a pad or a pencil.  If I ever forget where I left my desk top computer then I won't need the information.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7341 Posts
                              Posted: May 23, 2012, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

The "when" would certainly firm things up!

This theory would definitely explain why outside of record setting jackpots that only one person wins.

But the theory doesn't explain why there were no winners when 191 million tickets were sold the drawing before the record was set unless about 20 million tickets were self picks and they didn't sell every combo.