Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What kind of car would you get?

Topic closed. 425 replies. Last post 4 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 1 of 29
PrintE-mailLink
IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Member #128906
June 5, 2012
592 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2012, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Let's say you win 1million, which is prob 600k after taxes... What kind of car would you get?  I'd either get a 2-4yr old Porsche 911 cabrio or a 370Z Roadster.  Gonna pick up my tickets later today for tomorrow and Wed's drawing=)

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2012, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I would get a brand spanking new Maserati Quattroporte S in Giallo Granturismo (color).

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3157 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2012, 10:53 am - IP Logged

My uncle has a 59 porsche thats been sitting for 25yrs. I'm sure 10-20k cash would buy it.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2012, 11:28 am - IP Logged

My uncle has a 59 porsche thats been sitting for 25yrs. I'm sure 10-20k cash would buy it.

And do a restoration job, right Stang? How much for the restoration?

I have helped my son go through 3 stangs already. the 05', 07' and now a 10'

I always thought it would be cool to start a Mustang Restoration and parts business.

So instead of buying "a car" I could buy land enough to warehouse and work on "stangs"

Christmas

NJJim's avatar - Lottery-026.jpg
          Bergen County NJ
          United States
          Member #104849
          January 21, 2011
          441 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2012, 11:57 am - IP Logged

This is an old man talking:

A classic car would be nice as a toy.  I would tend to want a real old one, and not necessarily a sport model either.  But hey, of course, the house and investment thing would have to be addressed and secure first.  A mil is just enough to blow before you realize it.  A car costing 100K is just plain foolish, sorry.  You can rent that for a weekend thrill out on the Bonneville Salt Flats or something.  For an everyday car, an SUV or crossover vehicle with good safety ratings would be necessary for kid transportation. The odds I beat in order to win were incredible enough, I won't want to go zoom zoom around trying to drift like in the commercials and end up wrapped around a tree.  Hell no to any motorcycle dabbling too.  Life is too short.

Seems so simple: three digits, 168 to one odds when boxed... all you have to do is pick the right ones!

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2012, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I wouldn't get a new car right away.  I'm perfectly happy with the one I've got, and it's still in great condition.  Down the road, though... I haven't really thought about it.  If electric car technology has come far enough by the time I'm ready for a new ride, I might invest in one of those, or possibly a hybrid.  Maybe one of those Smart cars.  However, when you've got "lottery money", you have the luxury to think about, well, luxury automobiles, so that would end up in the thought process.

What I would do right away is buy a new car for my mother (and one for my father too if he wants one).  She has a 2000 Ford Taurus (bought it used) and it's showing its age.  They don't make 'em like they used to...

Patriot

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2012, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I wouldn't get a new car right away.  I'm perfectly happy with the one I've got, and it's still in great condition.  Down the road, though... I haven't really thought about it.  If electric car technology has come far enough by the time I'm ready for a new ride, I might invest in one of those, or possibly a hybrid.  Maybe one of those Smart cars.  However, when you've got "lottery money", you have the luxury to think about, well, luxury automobiles, so that would end up in the thought process.

What I would do right away is buy a new car for my mother (and one for my father too if he wants one).  She has a 2000 Ford Taurus (bought it used) and it's showing its age.  They don't make 'em like they used to...

Why not just help her get one now media? Do you really need to "win the lottery" to help out you mom? I recently helped my ex get a car cuz it seemed like a good thing to do.

(and my son was bugging me to help out)

I had to kick in a few grand and it used some of my savings but helping people out is sometimes more important to me than having money growing mold in a bank somewhere that I may never get to use. lol. lol. lol.

As far as an electic car goes.......... I would not even consider butin a $10k battery that no one knows how to dispose of safely. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/How-to-dispose-of-electric-cars-batteries-3184912.php

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

A second hand bicycle!

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

a "71" Pinto, 4 on the floor, bright orange, black bucket seats all pimped out with after market chrome and vintage 8-track player!  Banana

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3157 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

And do a restoration job, right Stang? How much for the restoration?

I have helped my son go through 3 stangs already. the 05', 07' and now a 10'

I always thought it would be cool to start a Mustang Restoration and parts business.

So instead of buying "a car" I could buy land enough to warehouse and work on "stangs"

Christmas

Yea i love working on cars. Porsche is in good shape. Figure 8-15k for the resto. Paint would be about 5/6k. The rest i can do. The car in the pic was beat up when i got it. Paid $1400 for it. Paint job $2500. I installed the convertible top $400 and carpet $150. Heads/intake, Seat covers, door panels and wheels are next. I was hoping to bring it to Mustang week in SC, but that will have to wait.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

A second hand bicycle!

Bike Riding           

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

a "71" Pinto, 4 on the floor, bright orange, black bucket seats all pimped out with after market chrome and vintage 8-track player!  Banana

Pit Crew

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2012, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Pit Crew

Ahhhh......my dream car in action. Such a sweet ride!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                            Lavender Rocket

United States
                            Member #124616
                            March 16, 2012
                            2642 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2012, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

4-track... you need a vintage 4-track

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2012, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

4-track... you need a vintage 4-track

Still have all my classic 8-track tape collection, 4-track wouldn't do me any good.  No Nod

Besides, Iv'e grown accustomed to the tapes being eaten up by the player, it's all part of the vintage experience. You have to experience it for

yourself to fully appreciate.   Cheers

Page 1 of 29