Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did I possibly got scammed by storeclerk?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 4 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

You are right. My family just got alot of issues with medical bills and mortgage payments. Mom is laid off, Dad got a paycut. Just stressed out.

Do you have a job?  If so, what kind of job?  In lots of places, the family members live together and have to pool their resources to stay afloat.  Just do whatever you can do to contribute to the pot to get thru this rough spot.  Don't rely on the lottery..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #123290
    February 17, 2012
    3051 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I actually had one weird experience where i I scanned a ticket and it said not a winner.  Now I know my winners and losers immediately when i see the results, so i made sure to give the clerk the ticket...PRESTO...it was a winner.

Not a money winner, just a free play...so like the NYL says...hey you never know.

Also what is up with the clerks ripping stuff up back there, when i go to redeem tickets and the clerks start grabbing things and ripping them, i am like "dude, whats with all the ripping?"  Its very disconcerting knowing you have a potential 500 dollar ticket, and the clerk is ripping things.  I figure if i paid for the ticket, winner or loser, the ticket still is "owned" by me, although i rarely sign my name on my ticket. I mean who does that?  When i go to the ATM and take out $100, i dont grab my pen and say "let me sign my name on each $20 bill in case i lose them",Roll Eyes

Oh! You should always sign your name on your ticket!

Its yours because you purchase it but signing could cut down on any issue of ownership should

you somehow lose a winning ticket, just be on the safe side.

Why go through the trouble of trying to prove it's yours when all you had to do was sign the back?

A $20 bill is different from a lotto ticket.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
      Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2012, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

Oh! You should always sign your name on your ticket!

Its yours because you purchase it but signing could cut down on any issue of ownership should

you somehow lose a winning ticket, just be on the safe side.

Why go through the trouble of trying to prove it's yours when all you had to do was sign the back?

A $20 bill is different from a lotto ticket.

You are so right!!!  I almost got caught like that.  In my case, I never took my eyes off the ticket and I told the lady to give it to me so I could sign it.  There were only 2 people in that room, me and her.  I saw my 25 grand floating away.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2012, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

EVERYBODY CHILL OUT!!!!

Todd, I'm extrememly disappointed that you would automatically assume the OP got ripped off.  I'd expect that from some of the more paranoid and/or miserable types around here, but I thought you were better than that.

Like Stack47 said, it's just as likely that the clerk was being honest.  Given the sheer number of lottery transactions conducted in a day, the amount of fraud that goes on is miniscule.  Also, given California's pari-mutuel prize system and having looked at a handful of recent results, it is extremely possible that either $10 or $11 was a legitimate prize for the drawing in question.  And like RJOh said, it's been a few years so even if you did get ripped off, there's nothing you can do about it.  You have no proof, and even if you could remember the date of the drawing and the date and time you cashed in the ticket, any evidence would be long gone.

It does seem you've learned from the experience, though, so at least you can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Oh, and knock it off with this "I'm going to hurt myself!" crap.  With the problems you said your family is having, do you really want to make things worse by putting yourself in a hospital or a casket?  If you're truly feeling despondent over this, PLEASE get professional help.  Otherwise, calm down.

Actually, it's important to recognize situations where there is a reasonable possibility that somebody got ripped off, so that others can learn from it.  A ticket that scanned as a winner and did not provide the amount of the win (and just said "see the clerk") is LIKELY to be a big winner.

There is no paranoia here, so try not to be too disappointed.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #94283
          July 17, 2010
          2284 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2012, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Actually, it's important to recognize situations where there is a reasonable possibility that somebody got ripped off, so that others can learn from it.  A ticket that scanned as a winner and did not provide the amount of the win (and just said "see the clerk") is LIKELY to be a big winner.

Not in my state it's not.  The small 6" stand-alone scanners never say the amount in Idaho, even with the smaller wins.  They always say "see the clerk".  The scanners on the vending machines do give the amount.  I have no idea if they enumerate the larger JP amounts since I've never won one.

Keke242's avatar - nicebear
            Florida
            Bahamas
            Member #130323
            July 11, 2012
            451 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2012, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

I watched a dateline show about this one time. They used a fake winning ticket and asked the clerk if it was a winner and he said no and thenfake ticket was a million dollar ticket. Later on the clerk tried to go cash it and got caught. It's always important to check the numbers yourself even after scanning the ticket.

Good luck and blessings to all 

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2012, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

After reading all of this I don't feel the need to hurt myself.

But I do think I'll have a big ol' glass of whiskey.

Which, to be perfectly honest, I was gonna do anyway.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4526 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2012, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

PA rules state that amounts of $600 or more in pay out, the original ticket must be scanned , paperwork filed and the ORIGINAL CLAIMED Ticket must remain with the Authorized Lottery retailer for mailing in. So no, tickets must be authenticated, and therefore are not kept by the claimant. Imagine keeping your jackpot powerball ticket after claiming it! It just doesnt work that way...It must be turned over for authenticating. 

to the OP, curious why you are speculating oneway or the other, the reality is...its unknown and will stay that way. Keep your eyes moving forward , good fortune will catch up with you :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2012, 12:44 am - IP Logged

Lover  happy endings!

kkkb's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTCbp5UCbsK022NTC_y-p5KGtaseWWCX_dI6OKKgbkehO5h07Cy9Q

United States
                    Member #130020
                    July 4, 2012
                    840 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2012, 12:54 am - IP Logged

Also, you are entitled to get your lottery tickets back from the cashier after they scan them.  If someone ever tells you that they are forced to keep the ticket (even for a winning ticket), they are LYING and probably scamming you too.

Are you sure about this for NY?  Only one clerk gives them back to me.  I used to like to keep them to keep a record, but I dont care so much anywmore as i developed a pretty good way to track them with excel.  One girl used to give them to me, but then she said her boss said to stop.

I dont know what the law states in NY but most clerks refuse to give them back claiming its not allowed.  They also claim too many people, take the redeemed tickets and then try to RECLAIM them somewhere else and that if they return the winning tickets back to the customer then they can lose their priviledge to sell tickets.

I dont know what the regulations say on paper, but I could see some scoundrels trying to redeem a ticket twice, and creating a big stink over it, so it is understandable.  New York scanners also have the amounts showing,  I will let you know on prizes over $600 when i get another one!!!!!Wink

I use to work with lottery machines at a grocery store. We have to keep a copy of the winning tickets for verification purposes but if I remember correctly, you can always ask for a printout of what was scanned. When the tickets are checked they say either winner or not a winner so I'm not sure how valid the excuse is in NY since I am not familiar. 

I'm always able to ask the clerk to let me see the ticket if it is a winner and a copy of the winning numbers. I always check at home prior to cashing in but humans make mistakes every now and then.

Money is the motive

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                      upstate NY
                      United States
                      Member #108791
                      March 31, 2011
                      549 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2012, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Possibility is one thing.  Yes, the possibility exists.  The way you presented it, though, it sounded like it was a lot more than a possibility.

These days the self-service scanners may tell you the amount won, but according to the OP, this happened several years ago.  I don't know about California, but when the scanners were first introduced in New York, the only information they provided was whether or not you had a winner.  I haven't used the scanners here in a while, though -- I've already checked my tickets online before taking them to the store -- but I'll use them this week to see what they say.  So far I've got a $12 PB winner and a couple of Take 5 free plays.

Patriot

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                        upstate NY
                        United States
                        Member #108791
                        March 31, 2011
                        549 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2012, 2:09 am - IP Logged

I use to work with lottery machines at a grocery store. We have to keep a copy of the winning tickets for verification purposes but if I remember correctly, you can always ask for a printout of what was scanned. When the tickets are checked they say either winner or not a winner so I'm not sure how valid the excuse is in NY since I am not familiar. 

I'm always able to ask the clerk to let me see the ticket if it is a winner and a copy of the winning numbers. I always check at home prior to cashing in but humans make mistakes every now and then.

I believe that is the procedure in NY as well.  I think I've only had the clerk return the ticket to me once, and a few times I've been asked if I wanted a receipt.  They can probably give you one for any prize won if you'd like.

It doesn't bother me that they keep the tickets.  I've already checked them so I know if they're trying to rip me off, and once I've got my money, I have no need for the ticket.  It does bug me when they try to keep my play slips, but that seems to be more of an absent-minded thing than any sort of malicious act, and it's only happened a couple times.  You can tell by their reaction to the question "Can I have my slips back, please?" that they simply weren't paying attention to what they were doing.

Patriot

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: August 4, 2012, 8:41 am - IP Logged

Heave faith smoothj6 your time will come Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #74096
                            May 2, 2009
                            22915 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2012, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

Possibility is one thing.  Yes, the possibility exists.  The way you presented it, though, it sounded like it was a lot more than a possibility.

These days the self-service scanners may tell you the amount won, but according to the OP, this happened several years ago.  I don't know about California, but when the scanners were first introduced in New York, the only information they provided was whether or not you had a winner.  I haven't used the scanners here in a while, though -- I've already checked my tickets online before taking them to the store -- but I'll use them this week to see what they say.  So far I've got a $12 PB winner and a couple of Take 5 free plays.

I read what Todd wrote and it didn't sound overblown to me.

There's nothing wrong either with being a little paranoid, especially in a hard up world. If you take anything from Todd's post, take heed..

the next person ripped off might be you.

Did you ever think about, beforehand, what you'd say to a clerk who handed you $10 when you knew the ticket was $100?

It's fine and dandy to know what you have before you hand it over but what happens when you hand it over and the clerk swears you

gave him a loser? Just be ready. If it never happens to you, good for you.

I've had a couple times where I handed multiple tickets over and the amount they came to was off....they owed me more.

Even if it's a few bucks...it's a long day...a few bucks here a few bucks there, that's a nice profit for some cheating swine.

OP..this was long ago and you just need to get over it and be careful from now on.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23262 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2012, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

PA rules state that amounts of $600 or more in pay out, the original ticket must be scanned , paperwork filed and the ORIGINAL CLAIMED Ticket must remain with the Authorized Lottery retailer for mailing in. So no, tickets must be authenticated, and therefore are not kept by the claimant. Imagine keeping your jackpot powerball ticket after claiming it! It just doesnt work that way...It must be turned over for authenticating. 

to the OP, curious why you are speculating oneway or the other, the reality is...its unknown and will stay that way. Keep your eyes moving forward , good fortune will catch up with you :)

That's not my understanding.  You can ask the lottery retailer to mail it in, but you can always do it yourself.  You can also take it directly to lottery HQ.  I would always do it myself.

If you really think you're right on this, please go ahead and post a link to the official PA Lottery Web site page showing that the retailer must mail in your winning ticket of an amount greater than $600.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!