Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did I possibly got scammed by storeclerk?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 4 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7322 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Also, you are entitled to get your lottery tickets back from the cashier after they scan them.  If someone ever tells you that they are forced to keep the ticket (even for a winning ticket), they are LYING and probably scamming you too.

Are you sure about this for NY?  Only one clerk gives them back to me.  I used to like to keep them to keep a record, but I dont care so much anywmore as i developed a pretty good way to track them with excel.  One girl used to give them to me, but then she said her boss said to stop.

I dont know what the law states in NY but most clerks refuse to give them back claiming its not allowed.  They also claim too many people, take the redeemed tickets and then try to RECLAIM them somewhere else and that if they return the winning tickets back to the customer then they can lose their priviledge to sell tickets.

I dont know what the regulations say on paper, but I could see some scoundrels trying to redeem a ticket twice, and creating a big stink over it, so it is understandable.  New York scanners also have the amounts showing,  I will let you know on prizes over $600 when i get another one!!!!!Wink

The KY Lottery ticket scanners give the value of the ticket too. They also have vending machines that give credits for tickets worth up to $25. Once a ticket is scanned and the credit is given, that ticket becomes worthless and no different than a losing ticket. There is a waste basket next to the machine there probably is a "dumpster diver" having a clerk in another store check those worthless tickets. That isn't an attempt to fraud the lottery because the terminal will say the ticket is "not a winner" just like any other losing ticket a player might not be sure about. At the worst, they are only wasting the clerks time by having the already paid or losing tickets checked.

Every time I see someone holding up the line with a large number of tickets to be checked, my first assumption is they are dumpster divers.

If one clerk does gave you back a paid winning ticket then it can't be against the rules. The terminals keep records of what was played and what was paid out and print out a receipt for every winning ticket. I've cashed tickets in stores where the clerk always gives me the receipt even if the ticket won a $1. I'm betting all the paid tickets and receipts are put into a waste basket behind the counter and that clerk is just pulling your chain.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Also, you are entitled to get your lottery tickets back from the cashier after they scan them.  If someone ever tells you that they are forced to keep the ticket (even for a winning ticket), they are LYING and probably scamming you too.

Are you sure about this for NY?  Only one clerk gives them back to me.  I used to like to keep them to keep a record, but I dont care so much anywmore as i developed a pretty good way to track them with excel.  One girl used to give them to me, but then she said her boss said to stop.

I dont know what the law states in NY but most clerks refuse to give them back claiming its not allowed.  They also claim too many people, take the redeemed tickets and then try to RECLAIM them somewhere else and that if they return the winning tickets back to the customer then they can lose their priviledge to sell tickets.

I dont know what the regulations say on paper, but I could see some scoundrels trying to redeem a ticket twice, and creating a big stink over it, so it is understandable.  New York scanners also have the amounts showing,  I will let you know on prizes over $600 when i get another one!!!!!Wink

I had the same problem locally and found out some clerks are making up their own policies in the same store.  An old clerk told me she never gave winning tickets back to customers as per store policy and on another occasion a new clerk told me he was never told about it and gave me my winning tickets back so I stopped buying tickets there. 

One of these days I plan to go into that store when the old clerk is there and tell her I'll be back to cash in my tickets when an honest clerk is working.  I think she was establishing a routine that she wouldn't have to change if she ever had a big winner that she thought she could cheat.

I wish the state lottery would state an official policy on its website and stop allowing clerks to make up their own.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Republic of Texas
      United States
      Member #57557
      January 9, 2008
      1095 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about anywhere else, but in Texas (and in Michigan if I remember right), if you have a clerk scan on their scanner, a receipt is printed whether it is a winning ticket or not. I watch the clerks, and I know how much I am expecting to get back. If the clerk acts suspicious or I get a different amount than I expect, I ask for the receipts.

The other day I asked for the receipts because the clerk tore them in half and was about to toss them into the trash. I tossed them into my own trash at home later.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
        Member #6363
        August 20, 2004
        4065 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I had the same problem locally and found out some clerks are making up their own policies in the same store.  An old clerk told me she never gave winning tickets back to customers as per store policy and on another occasion a new clerk told me he was never told about it and gave me my winning tickets back so I stopped buying tickets there. 

One of these days I plan to go into that store when the old clerk is there and tell her I'll be back to cash in my tickets when an honest clerk is working.  I think she was establishing a routine that she wouldn't have to change if she ever had a big winner that she thought she could cheat.

I wish the state lottery would state an official policy on its website and stop allowing clerks to make up their own.

Here in MO, it became a policy to not give back winning tickets because of the very reason LB talked about up above. It got to the point that some low-lifes would try to reclaim the tickets at the next store down the road over and over again, wasting the store clerks time and the drama that came with it, " usually the loud remarks, "saying I never cash this, you're trying to cheat me" hoping the clerk would give them the few bucks again, just to get them out of the store and stop making a scene. I heard that story from many of the store owners in this area. (small town, mom and pop shops).

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
          Economy class
          Belgium
          Member #123700
          February 27, 2012
          4035 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Yesterday I cashed in 6 euros with Keno, but in a strange way.

I gave my ticket to the clerk. The clerk gave me the winning receipt without cash.
          I had to ask for the cash. This didn't happen the first time, so they try to keep cash to my opinion.

Other times the machine said losing ticket. I asked to scan the ticket again, and it paid.
          They can play this.

San Francisco
            United States
            Member #131130
            August 3, 2012
            10 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2012, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Why do I feel like my life is over!! Someone give me a silver lining! what can i do!

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2012, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Yesterday I cashed in 6 euros with Keno, but in a strange way.

I gave my ticket to the clerk. The clerk gave me the winning receipt without cash.
              I had to ask for the cash. This didn't happen the first time, so they try to keep cash to my opinion.

Other times the machine said losing ticket. I asked to scan the ticket again, and it paid.
              They can play this.

I actually had one weird experience where i I scanned a ticket and it said not a winner.  Now I know my winners and losers immediately when i see the results, so i made sure to give the clerk the ticket...PRESTO...it was a winner.

Not a money winner, just a free play...so like the NYL says...hey you never know.

Also what is up with the clerks ripping stuff up back there, when i go to redeem tickets and the clerks start grabbing things and ripping them, i am like "dude, whats with all the ripping?"  Its very disconcerting knowing you have a potential 500 dollar ticket, and the clerk is ripping things.  I figure if i paid for the ticket, winner or loser, the ticket still is "owned" by me, although i rarely sign my name on my ticket. I mean who does that?  When i go to the ATM and take out $100, i dont grab my pen and say "let me sign my name on each $20 bill in case i lose them",Roll Eyes

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2012, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Why do I feel like my life is over!! Someone give me a silver lining! what can i do!

Dude relax, you are worrying about nothing.  There are people here on LP who have had the winning numbers, and for whatever foolish reason or whatever act of god, did not get in to play their sets.  Those people are the ones that need to worry.  Can their ship sail in again??  They had the winning numbers, knew they had the winning numbers, had no doubt of winning the jackpot, and have zip.Crying  Can lightning strike twice for these members?? 

All they have now is the timeless story, of the jackpot that could have been.

You are worrying without even knowing for sure.  If you are serious about lottery, then you know you have a winner the second you see that first ball drop.

Your life is not over, dust yourself off, find some good tips on LP, and keep on keeping on.Hiding Behind Computer

That dude did not scam you for a jackpot ticket.  The risk is too high, the penalty too great.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2012, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

First of all, take comfort in the fact that you're not alone, many of us have had the same experience. 

Secondly, chances are the ticket was worth whatever the clerk paid you.

It was so long ago there's probably nothing you can do about that particular ticket.  But you can use it as a lesson learned.  From now on, check your own ticket before you take it in.  Ask for the receipt on all winning tickets if you have any question about the value.  I know a clerk who routinely asks "How much did you win?" before she scans the ticket.  Hard to know if she's being friendly, or figuring out if she can scam you if you won more than you think you did.

Are you thinking about it now because you could really really use a thousand bucks right about now?  If so, would you have spent a win wisely at that time, or would it be gone anyway?

San Francisco
                    United States
                    Member #131130
                    August 3, 2012
                    10 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2012, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I know, it's eating me alive. I'm just freakin out because I got family members including myself with alot of health problems and I keep thinking all that could go away with just some luck....Thank You, I gotta move on.

San Francisco
                      United States
                      Member #131130
                      August 3, 2012
                      10 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2012, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

You are right. My family just got alot of issues with medical bills and mortgage payments. Mom is laid off, Dad got a paycut. Just stressed out.

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: August 3, 2012, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

This clerk's ass needs to be kicked.  Chair

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                          Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

This clerk's ass needs to be kicked.  Chair

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                            Whiskey Island
                            United States
                            Member #90216
                            April 24, 2010
                            12755 Posts
                            Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

The Clerk needs a Swift Kick to the

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                              upstate NY
                              United States
                              Member #108791
                              March 31, 2011
                              549 Posts
                              Posted: August 3, 2012, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

EVERYBODY CHILL OUT!!!!

Todd, I'm extrememly disappointed that you would automatically assume the OP got ripped off.  I'd expect that from some of the more paranoid and/or miserable types around here, but I thought you were better than that.

Like Stack47 said, it's just as likely that the clerk was being honest.  Given the sheer number of lottery transactions conducted in a day, the amount of fraud that goes on is miniscule.  Also, given California's pari-mutuel prize system and having looked at a handful of recent results, it is extremely possible that either $10 or $11 was a legitimate prize for the drawing in question.  And like RJOh said, it's been a few years so even if you did get ripped off, there's nothing you can do about it.  You have no proof, and even if you could remember the date of the drawing and the date and time you cashed in the ticket, any evidence would be long gone.

It does seem you've learned from the experience, though, so at least you can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Oh, and knock it off with this "I'm going to hurt myself!" crap.  With the problems you said your family is having, do you really want to make things worse by putting yourself in a hospital or a casket?  If you're truly feeling despondent over this, PLEASE get professional help.  Otherwise, calm down.

Patriot