Staten Islander revealed as winner of $85M Mega Millions jackpot

Aug 20, 2012, 7:00 am (35 comments)

Mega Millions

A Staten Island, New York, woman who bought a lottery ticket while wine shopping can afford champagne now — a lot of it.

Jin Ok Choi, 54, was introduced at a Manhattan news conference Thursday as the winner an $85 million Mega Millions jackpot.

Choi said she bought a quick-pick ticket when she saw how big the jackpot for the July 3 drawing had gotten.

"I'm still in shock," said Choi, who opted for a lump sum of $64 million and will take home $40 million after taxes.

She plans to buy a new condo.

Lottery officials also announced seven other big winners, including NYPD cop Billy Sena, 28, who hit for $1 million on a scratch-off ticket.

Sena, who will take home an extra $31,000 a year for 20 years, said he plans to buy a new house — and won't be quitting his job.

Despite the massive size of her prize, Choi is not the biggest solo winner in New York.

Long Island couple Richard and Mary Morrison won a $162 million jackpot in 2010 (see story), and Daniel Bruckner and his pregnant wife, Christine, hit for $208 million while visiting Long Island last year (see story).

Bankrupt Queens parking attendant Juan Rodriguez had the winning ticket in a $149 million drawing in 2004 (see story).

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Daily News, Lottery Post Staff

Comments

LottoGuyBC's avatarLottoGuyBC

Congrats to All the Winners Cheers

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

Looks like she took her time getting her affairs in order before claiming. Smart, though too bad she couldn't remain anonymous.

"Bankrupt Queens parking attendant Juan Rodriguez had the winning ticket in a $149 million drawing in 2004"-----I always wonder what happened to this guy.

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Good for them, my time is coming

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Aug 20, 2012

Looks like she took her time getting her affairs in order before claiming. Smart, though too bad she couldn't remain anonymous.

"Bankrupt Queens parking attendant Juan Rodriguez had the winning ticket in a $149 million drawing in 2004"-----I always wonder what happened to this guy.

Last I heard of this Colombian imigrant was his wife filed for divorce shortly after his win, to get her cut. Apparently their marriage was on

the rocks for awhile, not to mention they had filed for bankruptcy just before the big win. Haven't heard much of anything since then.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Oh man, now I got a taste for Gin and bok choy.

Well... not so much the bok choy.

gogidolim

Alcohol and veggie? Weird combination.

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

She won the jackpot with a $5 Quick Pick Ticket, the winning combination was on line A on the ticket.

I have a picture of the winning ticket.The story failed to explain that she won with a $5QP ticket. You can google the image, if you guys want to see it. You have to make sure that the ticket image is on full view.

Seeing is Believing.

Piaceri

Congrats to the winner!

Bok Choi can be tasty, but not with Gin.

pillsbury's avatarpillsbury

A big congrats to Ms. Choi on her amazing win!

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congrats to the winner Thumbs Up

onlymoney

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Aug 20, 2012

She won the jackpot with a $5 Quick Pick Ticket, the winning combination was on line A on the ticket.

I have a picture of the winning ticket.The story failed to explain that she won with a $5QP ticket. You can google the image, if you guys want to see it. You have to make sure that the ticket image is on full view.

Seeing is Believing.

I know the winner. She and I have been very close friends for about 20 years. She said she will split the JP with me. Can't wait.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by onlymoney on Aug 20, 2012

I know the winner. She and I have been very close friends for about 20 years. She said she will split the JP with me. Can't wait.

Your really on a winning streak onlymoney! Why can't I have friends like yours.  What?    Crying

onlymoney

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Aug 20, 2012

Your really on a winning streak onlymoney! Why can't I have friends like yours.  What?    Crying

I think my luck will fall short after my third windfall. Isn't it always the case?

No seriously, I still can't believe my luck. Powerball win and now this !

Still soaking it all in.

onlymoney

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Aug 20, 2012

"You're"    Green laugh

junipers

He got his name by throwing pots around in the kitchen

onlymoney

Quote: Originally posted by junipers on Aug 20, 2012

He got his name by throwing pots around in the kitchen

A Staten Island, New York, woman who bought a lottery ticket while wine shopping can afford champagne now — a lot of it.

I believe a woman won.

tvboris's avatartvboris

A Staten Island, New York, woman who bought a lottery ticket while wine shopping can afford champagne now — a lot of it.

I believe a woman won.

hmm, I should have purchased my tickets in the liquore store. Will do so in the future.

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

congratulations to the winner!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by tvboris on Aug 20, 2012

hmm, I should have purchased my tickets in the liquore store. Will do so in the future.

Hey that's where Emily Leach was, when she "gave away" her $260K scratch ticket.  Idea

OK to be fair, she was muli-tasking on her cell phone while drinking shopping in that CA liquor store.  Embarassed

tvboris's avatartvboris

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Aug 21, 2012

Hey that's where Emily Leach was, when she "gave away" her $260K scratch ticket.  Idea

OK to be fair, she was muli-tasking on her cell phone while drinking shopping in that CA liquor store.  Embarassed

ok, I got your point. I'll explore option of begging for tickets in the liquor store.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by tvboris on Aug 21, 2012

ok, I got your point. I'll explore option of begging for tickets in the liquor store.

Sounds like a winning plan tvboris!  Yes Nod

Or if you happen to have any leftover food stamps, they could be used for lotto tickets as well.  Thumbs Up

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 20, 2012

Oh man, now I got a taste for Gin and bok choy.

Well... not so much the bok choy.

Yes, rdgrnr, this is yet another successful example of the "overt subliminal check" trick in action! 

Remedy is to look away, rdgrnr, and think of fluffy puppies frolicking on the mountain outside.

Bed

Geez, onlymoney, your "friend," Jin, isn't as close to you as thought.  After all, Jin claimed the jackpot with ONLY her name on it and the check ... and after doing so requires her to pay full federal and state income taxes, I doubt that that she will be giving you any percentage "split." 

In lieu, onlymoney, perhaps you could ask her for, and receive, her "old" car though. Bat

Jin, congratulations on your big MegaMillions win! Patriot

Everyone, I'm wondering about the MegaMillions May 4, 2012, $118M annuitized jackpot ... winning ticket purchased in Glenwood, IL AND still unclaimed!  Illinois MegaMillions ticket buyers ... CHECK YOUR TICKET(S) NOW ... may this jackpot not remain unclaimed by the ticket owner.

tvboris's avatartvboris

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Aug 21, 2012

Jin, congratulations on your big MegaMillions win! Patriot

Everyone, I'm wondering about the MegaMillions May 4, 2012, $118M annuitized jackpot ... winning ticket purchased in Glenwood, IL AND still unclaimed!  Illinois MegaMillions ticket buyers ... CHECK YOUR TICKET(S) NOW ... may this jackpot not remain unclaimed by the ticket owner.

Maybe it was onlymoney? he just forgot to tell us this, as well as to the lottery commission.

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Aug 21, 2012

Sounds like a winning plan tvboris!  Yes Nod

Or if you happen to have any leftover food stamps, they could be used for lotto tickets as well.  Thumbs Up

It the government doesn't limit Food stamps to strictly food (doesn't include fast food/restaurants) then it won't be long before a recipient wins a sizable Jackpot on tax payer money. No Nod

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Aug 22, 2012

It the government doesn't limit Food stamps to strictly food (doesn't include fast food/restaurants) then it won't be long before a recipient wins a sizable Jackpot on tax payer money. No Nod

I Agree!  BTW Jill, that liquor store sign indicating it would accept food stamps, was a staged gag by the owner.   Jester Laugh

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Aug 21, 2012

Yes, rdgrnr, this is yet another successful example of the "overt subliminal check" trick in action! 

Remedy is to look away, rdgrnr, and think of fluffy puppies frolicking on the mountain outside.

Bed

OK, HaveABall, but I keep seeing bottles of whiskey frolicking on the mountains.  Cheers

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Aug 22, 2012

I Agree!  BTW Jill, that liquor store sign indicating it would accept food stamps, was a staged gag by the owner.   Jester Laugh

Recently saw a show on Fox (Stossel) where they documented people buying lottery tickets and cigarettes with their food stamp cards.No Nod

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Aug 22, 2012

Recently saw a show on Fox (Stossel) where they documented people buying lottery tickets and cigarettes with their food stamp cards.No Nod

Ouch!!!  Didn't know Jill. That's just shameful.     Disapprove

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

Congratulations to this jackpot winner in New York to step forward.

trent2275's avatartrent2275

Lucky winner for sure.

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats to the lucky lady, I'm partial to Kendall Jackson Chardonay 1999, nice wine.

jamella724

Oh wow...so lucky girl....How did she came up with the winning number combination?  Hopefully she could share her winning numbers with me.

samwatts

GOOD FOR THEM

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story