Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if you won big and you live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity?

Topic closed. 69 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Nikkicute.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

The name on the back of the ticket is the name that will be given to the media..

Destroy the ticket, it's not worth the hassle [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Have your name published but no press conference [ 20 ]  [45.45%]
Have your name published, go to the press con [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
Legally change name, sign the ticket w/ new name [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
I plan to do something else (please specify) [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Member #131058
August 1, 2012
875 Posts
Posted: August 22, 2012, 8:26 am - IP Logged

What if you won Mega Millions or Powerball and you happen to live in a state that doesn't allow jackpot winners to collect anonymously? You talked to a lawyer and the laws in your state says that the name on the ticket is the name that will be published in newspapers, what would you do? In this scenario if you decide to collect the money, the press conference is optional.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: August 22, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: August 22, 2012, 9:59 am - IP Logged

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
        nc
        United States
        Member #99520
        October 26, 2010
        375 Posts
        Posted: August 22, 2012, 10:02 am - IP Logged

For me the plan is simple.   Have the house packed and in storage before ready to claim, (you have from 180 days to 1 year to claim your prize depending upon the state).  Claim the prize and leave that state that day to visit family out of state.  Purchase new home in another state under a trust or a corporation and live quietly like I like to.

Detroit Michigan
          United States
          Member #38128
          April 24, 2006
          102 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2012, 10:44 am - IP Logged

for me this is a easy solution, when I find out that I won make copy of ticket. I tell maybe one person a trusted family member swear her to secrecy or she gets nothing, then contact a financial lawyer for legal advice, change my address to a po box no where near where I live, make reservations to leave town for a couple of weeks, go by a disguise or some type of fake beard etc. with a baseball cap and after a few days go claim the prize say very little in front of cameras and I'm out. Take a vacation get my head right come back in town take care of my personal business and start helping close family only and give to some good organizations anonymously. I almost forgot after about a few months post a copy of the ticket on here and give a positive shout out to Lottery Post and all the posters on here.

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2012, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Collect looking something like THIS.........

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: August 22, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I would prefer to show up as someone who might be already deceased.  Dead

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: August 22, 2012, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

He looks like the Rain Man

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                  Wisconsin
                  United States
                  Member #123290
                  February 17, 2012
                  3051 Posts
                  Posted: August 22, 2012, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

What if you won Mega Millions or Powerball and you happen to live in a state that doesn't allow jackpot winners to collect anonymously? You talked to a lawyer and the laws in your state says that the name on the ticket is the name that will be published in newspapers, what would you do? In this scenario if you decide to collect the money, the press conference is optional.

That's how it works in our state, we have an Open Records Law, they will release the name and city of the 

winner, that's it. Any more information they need the winners consent, you don't have to take picture or

attend a press conference.

What would I do? Collect the money and move on, no big deal for me!

I don't myspace, twitter or facebook, I'm on none of the social network sites to begin with, you Google my

name right now and you will find nothing!! lol I don't really hang with a lot of people, I'm not one of those

with a huge number of friends and associates, my family is not from America so I don't have to worry about 

long lost relatives coming out of the woodwork, I have one sister, one cousin from Canada, mom, dad and

uncle, that's it. Everybody else is out of the country and most don't speak English.

I've lived in the apartment building where I am right now over 6 years and I have seen a total of 3 people

in the laundry room, other than that when I do laundry there is no one in there but me. There is this one guy

who moved in I don't know over 6 months ago right next to my apartment and if someone where to ask him

who lives in the apartment next to him he would have no clue because he has not seen me at all. lol

My windows face the front of the building, so I can see who is coming in and out if I so happen to be looking

so I know what he looks like but he has no clue what I look like.

Far as I'm concerned, when it comes to lottery winners and not remaining anonymous, deal with it and just

watch your back when it comes to famiy or friends because  with some of the stories I've read it was always

someone close to them that ended up screwing them over or they couldn't say no to.

You can always close your ears to strangers but it's hard to ignore or not listen to family/friends.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: August 22, 2012, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

That's how it works in our state, we have an Open Records Law, they will release the name and city of the 

winner, that's it. Any more information they need the winners consent, you don't have to take picture or

I don't myspace, twitter or facebook, I'm on none of the social network sites to begin with, you Google my

name right now and you will find nothing!! lol I don't really hang with a lot of people, I'm not one of those

with a huge number of friends and associates, my family is not from America so I don't have to worry about 

long lost relatives coming out of the woodwork, I have one sister, one cousin from Canada, mom, dad and

uncle, that's it. Everybody else is out of the country and most don't speak English.

I've lived in the apartment building where I am right now over 6 years and I have seen a total of 3 people

in the laundry room, other than that when I do laundry there is no one in there but me. There is this one guy

who moved in I don't know over 6 months ago right next to my apartment and if someone where to ask him

who lives in the apartment next to him he would have no clue because he has not seen me at all. lol

My windows face the front of the building, so I can see who is coming in and out if I so happen to be looking

Far as I'm concerned, when it comes to lottery winners and not remaining anonymous, deal with it and just

watch your back when it comes to famiy or friends because  with some of the stories I've read it was always

someone close to them that ended up screwing them over or they couldn't say no to.

You can always close your ears to strangers but it's hard to ignore or not listen to family/friends.

There's people who think me and my kinfolk don't speak English either.

Even when we ain't even chewin'.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: August 22, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

You have a nice setup there at your apartment building Nikki!   Yes Nod

Happy to hear you have everything all pre-planned and orchestrated for when your big day comes.  Dance

Unless you decide to post us an update, no one will ever know who you are, or if you ever hit a big jackpot.  What?   Jester Laugh

United States
                        Member #130815
                        July 25, 2012
                        1636 Posts
                        Posted: August 22, 2012, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I really don't care...I don't talk to a whole lot of people now..Ive got maybe three close friends and I don't even talk to them on a daily basis LOL...Family...mama and daddy are dead got two sister and one brother..that maybe I talk to once a week..so they would get a little cash and everyone else can just leave me alone....If I haven't talked to you this year I don't know ya, if you haven't seen or called me this year keep it moving LOL. So post my name and give me my cash!!!

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                          Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #123290
                          February 17, 2012
                          3051 Posts
                          Posted: August 22, 2012, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

You have a nice setup there at your apartment building Nikki!   Yes Nod

Happy to hear you have everything all pre-planned and orchestrated for when your big day comes.  Dance

Unless you decide to post us an update, no one will ever know who you are, or if you ever hit a big jackpot.  What?   Jester Laugh

I really don't have anything pre-planned and orchestrated, that's just my life, I pretty much mind my own

bussiness and keep to myself, that's all. My sister is the opposite, really out going has both myspace and

facebook accounts with pictures online. I know one lottery winner had to take down his FaceBook page after

winning PowerBall.

Only started playing the lottery in February then I joined Lottery Post.

I've had my box at the UPS Store for over 14 years, that address is even on my drivers license. lol

All my mail goes there, that comes from when I had my first apartment the mail boxes there were sooo

skinny, and I was a catalog junkie, they would put my catalogs on the floor and I didn't like it so I got a mail

box at the UPS Store, those address they give you at the UPS Store (used to be called MailBoxes Ect.) are

considered street addresses unlike the Post Office where they have a P.O. Box in the address.

At the UPS Store, if your box number 123, you can put Apt#123 or for some businesses they can put

Suite#123, you'd never know! lol

I don't get mail at my apartment, all bills I pay online so no paperbills comes in the apartment mailbox.

If I win, I know I'd probably move to a condo but I wouldn't be in stealth mode, sneaking out in 

middle of the night like you see others planning on doing lol.

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                            rekjavik
                            Iceland
                            Member #99537
                            October 27, 2010
                            177 Posts
                            Posted: August 22, 2012, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Rent a place in another state for a month set up a trust and by a home in the trust name in another stateWhite Bounce then poooooof..

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                              United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3855 Posts
                              Posted: August 22, 2012, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

picked publish name but no press conf.

If i can keep my mug out of the press ppl. may not know its me,

cause most don't know my 1st name, most know me by my nikname,

but think its my real name.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.