Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if you won big and you live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity?

Topic closed. 69 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Nikkicute.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

The name on the back of the ticket is the name that will be given to the media..

Destroy the ticket, it's not worth the hassle [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Have your name published but no press conference [ 20 ]  [45.45%]
Have your name published, go to the press con [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
Legally change name, sign the ticket w/ new name [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
I plan to do something else (please specify) [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
Nutley, New Jersey
United States
Member #131058
August 1, 2012
875 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2012, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

whiteballz,

What if you won big and you live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity?

Isn't that the most common occurence? Most states don't allow anonymity.

Any alias signed on the back of the ticket would have to be baceked up with ID, and good luck with the taxes.

Taxes would be a concern no matter how you decide to collect the prize but as for getting some level of anonymity, I was thinking someone could have their name legally changed and then get a new state ID. Once all of that has been done, sign the ticket with the new name. A downside would be the name change process would take about a month, and getting a new ID from the DMV would take another month.

Sounds like a long tedious process but it might make sense for some people who don't want their current name in the newspapers. A person who is a pharmacist for example with a rare and easy to google name. This person might have to worry about frivolous lawsuits from customers hoping to get cash settlements.

If they change their name to a more common name, for example Dave Smith, Jane Williams, etc they have a good chance of avoiding frivolous lawsuits. Newspaper articles would have a title like "Dave Smith wins Mega Millions lottery in XYZ city," if you're in a large enough sized city, most people would probably not know it was you who won. If you live in a small town, you might want to buy your tickets in another town because most state lotteries will publish the city where the ticket was purchased and not the city where the winner resides.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2012, 1:27 am - IP Logged

Many here on LP say that after a jackpot you get hit with another 10% in taxes the following year.

With a created ID and no tax history for that ID there might be an awful lot of explaining to do.

A female pharmacist in Illinois hit a MM jackpot a few years ago. She said as a pharmacist if word gotr out she hit a jackpot she'd gt one malpractice suit after another. She still had to go to a press conference but hired professional make up people to put her in a disguise. She didn't change her name. It was in March of 2008.

From the link below:

Sporting large sunglasses, the winner, a pharmacist, came forward, but she refused to provide her name or where she lived.

Here's the whole story:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/172231

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Nutley, New Jersey
      United States
      Member #131058
      August 1, 2012
      875 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2012, 5:23 am - IP Logged

Many here on LP say that after a jackpot you get hit with another 10% in taxes the following year.

With a created ID and no tax history for that ID there might be an awful lot of explaining to do.

A female pharmacist in Illinois hit a MM jackpot a few years ago. She said as a pharmacist if word gotr out she hit a jackpot she'd gt one malpractice suit after another. She still had to go to a press conference but hired professional make up people to put her in a disguise. She didn't change her name. It was in March of 2008.

From the link below:

Sporting large sunglasses, the winner, a pharmacist, came forward, but she refused to provide her name or where she lived.

Here's the whole story:

People change their name all the time without any issues from the IRS. The IRS will get their 25% withholding, the additional 10% the following year and whatever taxes you may be responsible for. If there is any question in the future as to if you've paid all of your taxes, there will be a clear paper trail and everything has been documented. You will want to hire a lawyer no matter which option you choose.

Yes, the woman in the story didn't change her name but everyone has to make their own decision on what's right for them in their situation. I'm presenting an option that might make sense for someone, but it's not for everyone. There are people who would relish their new found fame and go to the press conference. People have to pick the option that makes sense for them.

kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
        cornwall,ct
        United States
        Member #102636
        December 23, 2010
        245 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2012, 7:03 am - IP Logged

o.k.. i got it.have a reative like a grandparent or parent claim the ticket for you(better if they live  in a different state)once they get the check you can have them sign the check over to you or  open up an account with you being authorized.and it needs to a relative that you have a trusting relationship with.but thats is just my plan.

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2012, 7:19 am - IP Logged

o.k.. i got it.have a reative like a grandparent or parent claim the ticket for you(better if they live  in a different state)once they get the check you can have them sign the check over to you or  open up an account with you being authorized.and it needs to a relative that you have a trusting relationship with.but thats is just my plan.

Good thought Kyok! Just keep in mind when your relative finishes paying all taxes on the jackpot, you then will have to pay similar taxes once

the balance is transferred over to you. In effect your being double taxed because of two separate individuals receiving the funds.

Of course your identity should be safe, but at a price.  Thumbs Up

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2012, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Good thought Kyok! Just keep in mind when your relative finishes paying all taxes on the jackpot, you then will have to pay similar taxes once

the balance is transferred over to you. In effect your being double taxed because of two separate individuals receiving the funds.

Of course your identity should be safe, but at a price.  Thumbs Up

Im considering going the opposite route that most of the LPer's seem want to go.

I will go for as many full blown news conferences as they will give me.

Go on CNN also if they will have me.

Tell my LP story.

Write a book.

Then become President.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
              upstate NY
              United States
              Member #108791
              March 31, 2011
              549 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2012, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

So far, three people have voted for "Destroy the ticket, it's not worth the hassle".  I have to ask:  If you're not willing to do what is necessary to collect the jackpot, why bother playing?

Patriot

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3854 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2012, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

So far, three people have voted for "Destroy the ticket, it's not worth the hassle".  I have to ask:  If you're not willing to do what is necessary to collect the jackpot, why bother playing?

Good point, but maybe those posters are from states w/ anonyimity ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Jersey City, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #132076
                  August 26, 2012
                  13 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2012, 12:20 am - IP Logged

Yea like, how many thousands of people have won the lottery , how many press conferences do they need to self promote their own game that someone just lucked out and won?

The press conference is shameless self promotion forced on the winners, bad enough they publish your name.

So personally, float my name out there, fine, but I sure as hell will be changing my address and phone number, I can think of 100 people that I haven't heard from in years calling me.  Which would make me sad to have to delete my own facebook account teehee.

Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2012, 3:49 am - IP Logged

Yea like, how many thousands of people have won the lottery , how many press conferences do they need to self promote their own game that someone just lucked out and won?

The press conference is shameless self promotion forced on the winners, bad enough they publish your name.

So personally, float my name out there, fine, but I sure as hell will be changing my address and phone number, I can think of 100 people that I haven't heard from in years calling me.  Which would make me sad to have to delete my own facebook account teehee.

I hate facebook. Having to delete my account after a big win would be a bonus for me.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2012, 4:52 am - IP Logged

From the link below:

Here's the whole story:

from that article

A family member referred them to Wood Dale attorney Terry Zimmer, who assembled an advisory team, including estate planner Richard Kuenster.

heheh at least its a lwyer and planner that has had experince in the  tasks at hand . take a note of names incase you ever get lucky.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2012, 6:23 am - IP Logged

I hate facebook. Having to delete my account after a big win would be a bonus for me.

I'm with you there. Facebook is just a laundry room for displaying all your emotional baggage. Not to mention compromising all your personal info.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                          Member #52345
                          May 21, 2007
                          2657 Posts
                          Posted: August 26, 2012, 9:07 am - IP Logged

I'm with you there. Facebook is just a laundry room for displaying all your emotional baggage. Not to mention compromising all your personal info.

facebook aka the happiness motel of the WWW 

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                            NY
                            United States
                            Member #121961
                            January 21, 2012
                            3157 Posts
                            Posted: August 26, 2012, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Not worried about anonymity. No one will find me out here.

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: August 26, 2012, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Not worried about anonymity. No one will find me out here.

I see you drinking that beer topside RedStang. I know where you are. But your secret is safe with me.  Wink