Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if you won big and you live in a state that doesn't allow anonymity?

Topic closed. 69 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Nikkicute.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

The name on the back of the ticket is the name that will be given to the media..

Destroy the ticket, it's not worth the hassle [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
Have your name published but no press conference [ 20 ]  [45.45%]
Have your name published, go to the press con [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
Legally change name, sign the ticket w/ new name [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
I plan to do something else (please specify) [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #124814
March 20, 2012
219 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2012, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Can you get someone else to sign/claim the ticket and have them give you the money? Or would there be some kind of double tax there?

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
    Nutley, New Jersey
    United States
    Member #131058
    August 1, 2012
    875 Posts
    Posted: August 30, 2012, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Can you get someone else to sign/claim the ticket and have them give you the money? Or would there be some kind of double tax there?

Yes, you can give the ticket to someone else but make sure it is someone you absolutely trust not to screw you over. Google search, "Etta Urquhart." 

Etta Urquhart is a woman from Bakersfield, CA who claims to have given her own son a jackpot winning Mega Millions ticket about a year ago and now she's suing him for the money.

About your other question on taxes, when the other person collects the money for you, they will be responsible for federal income tax and possibly state income tax depending where they live but in addition to income tax, the other person will also be responsible for paying gift tax when they give you money over $12,000 a year. So, in a sense, the money will be taxed twice. Once for income taxes and then again for gift tax.

India
      Member #132201
      August 29, 2012
      2 Posts
      Posted: August 30, 2012, 8:47 am - IP Logged

What if you won Mega Millions or Powerball and you happen to live in a state that doesn't allow jackpot winners to collect anonymously? You talked to a lawyer and the laws in your state says that the name on the ticket is the name that will be published in newspapers, what would you do? In this scenario if you decide to collect the money, the press conference is optional.

In that case, I would recommend that you register with an online lottery website and place your bets online. This way, when you win the jackpot, your identity wont be revealed and you will recieve your money via secure online transaction in your registered wallet. Hope I was of some help...Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19828 Posts
        Posted: August 30, 2012, 11:51 am - IP Logged

In that case, I would recommend that you register with an online lottery website and place your bets online. This way, when you win the jackpot, your identity wont be revealed and you will recieve your money via secure online transaction in your registered wallet. Hope I was of some help...Smile

You obviously have never played and won a significant prizes in an American lottery.Confused

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2012, 11:57 am - IP Logged

Spam     Spam     Spam

surimaribo24's avatar - photo11 zpsfffd70be.jpg
            NEW YORK. RIVERHEAD
            United States
            Member #106371
            February 17, 2011
            9703 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2012, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Spam     Spam     Spam

ROFL  good one RIDGE .. sounds like Patel to meSkeptical

PETS#=105-215

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
              Nutley, New Jersey
              United States
              Member #131058
              August 1, 2012
              875 Posts
              Posted: August 31, 2012, 8:59 am - IP Logged

you should buy an ad on the sidebar or a banner. I'm sure the rates for this website a reasonable enough.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #123290
                February 17, 2012
                3052 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2012, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

COLLECT THE WINNINGS OR DON'T PLAY!!!

To have someone else claim your ticket is ridiculous, once his or her name gets out their family

members are going to come out of the woodwork asking for money and once word gets out its not

really their money and they cashed it for someone else your name is exposed anyway!

Never seen people act like such cowards to collect a big check!!Roll Eyes

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2012, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

COLLECT THE WINNINGS OR DON'T PLAY!!!

To have someone else claim your ticket is ridiculous, once his or her name gets out their family

members are going to come out of the woodwork asking for money and once word gets out its not

really their money and they cashed it for someone else your name is exposed anyway!

Never seen people act like such cowards to collect a big check!!Roll Eyes

I could understand the fear and humiliation, of being caught receiving a very small check.   Crying

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #123290
                    February 17, 2012
                    3052 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2012, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The only thing left is to move to a state where they can stay anonymous.

Might be there a while before you win though...just there long enough to see someone

from the state you moved from (the one that did not allow anonymous claims) to win the big jackpot lol