Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

100 Most Stupid things Ever Said Or Done By A Lottery Clerk!!

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2012, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

I had a clerk tell me there's no such things as a 50 cent Pick 3 (It's on the playslip in Illinois).

Most are decent though, but you can sure tell which ones are they themselves players and which ones aren't.

Lottery outlets that don't provide and playslips make me wonder.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

germantown md
    United States
    Member #64543
    August 31, 2008
    3771 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2012, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

at the very last minute seconds to cut off time

ehmm am on break ..............what

Thegee

hush!!!! money is speaking White Bounce

Milwaukee, WI
      United States
      Member #3131
      December 27, 2003
      665 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2012, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

A few weeks after I won $10,000 on PB, I bought a Supercash.

She said you aren't going to win, you won already.

I won $500 on that supercash. I tipped her $50 anyway.

---------------------

Stopped at a gas station for a lottery ticket and he said. Stick em up this is a hold up. And then he laughed.

One clerk asked for a 7% tip if I won.

I won $5 and tipped him $0.35 :-)

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
        Ontario
        Canada
        Member #109243
        April 9, 2011
        31437 Posts
        Posted: August 30, 2012, 12:58 am - IP Logged

There's A Gas Station That Has A Small MacDonalds Kiosk Inside.

So The SmartAss Clerk Asks Me

Want Fries With Your Order?

I'm Like... Give Me A Break...I Guess You Can't Help It After Awhile...It Becomes Second Nature

Quinto's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg
          Washington County
          United States
          Member #131376
          August 9, 2012
          417 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2012, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I'll be playing my numbers, 50/50 and do my trips last, and when I say 555 sometimes they say "how do you want that" or "50/50 still?" maybe once I think someone felt so dumb and recovered and then said for .50 or 1.00 after they said 50/50 still? I say if you can play it 50/50 then I will take it haha

lambo1013's avatar - Lamborghini Aventador-LP700-4-Configurator.jpg
            Brooklyn, New York
            United States
            Member #126795
            April 16, 2012
            830 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2012, 1:26 am - IP Logged

My dad has owned a place for about 11 years now and the we're always nice to our customers and often get tipped which is nice, cept the lady that won $2000 a week for life, she didnt give anything :(. But here's some stories from the clerk lol.

Just yesturday a woman wanted to buy a set for life and said I'll pay at the end, she does this everytime and knows we never give her a ticket before getting cash in hand and we always end up an argument. Yesturday she tells me to hold her keys and that she'll pay later. What the hell am I supposed to do with your keys?!

Other times ppl claim to have won more than what they really did, even if you show them the recipt and all.

Than there's ppl that speak so softly that you can barely hear the number and how they want it.

Last one, this lady tells me to never look at her tickets as its "bad luck" how the hell am I supposed to make sure I played it right without looking at the ticket.

Haha just some clerk side stories. No offense to the customers

Cause every setback sets you up for a comeback

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2012, 6:55 am - IP Logged

My dad has owned a place for about 11 years now and the we're always nice to our customers and often get tipped which is nice, cept the lady that won $2000 a week for life, she didnt give anything :(. But here's some stories from the clerk lol.

Just yesturday a woman wanted to buy a set for life and said I'll pay at the end, she does this everytime and knows we never give her a ticket before getting cash in hand and we always end up an argument. Yesturday she tells me to hold her keys and that she'll pay later. What the hell am I supposed to do with your keys?!

Other times ppl claim to have won more than what they really did, even if you show them the recipt and all.

Than there's ppl that speak so softly that you can barely hear the number and how they want it.

Last one, this lady tells me to never look at her tickets as its "bad luck" how the hell am I supposed to make sure I played it right without looking at the ticket.

Haha just some clerk side stories. No offense to the customers

Very interesting to here from the other side of the counter. I guess we players can be a quirky group of quackers.  Stretch

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2012, 8:42 am - IP Logged

There's A Gas Station That Has A Small MacDonalds Kiosk Inside.

So The SmartAss Clerk Asks Me

Want Fries With Your Order?

I'm Like... Give Me A Break...I Guess You Can't Help It After Awhile...It Becomes Second Nature

I'd rather they ask, "Would you like your numbers super-sized?"  Yes Nod

savannah, ga
                  United States
                  Member #37345
                  April 13, 2006
                  342 Posts
                  Posted: August 30, 2012, 9:08 am - IP Logged

I hate it when the clerk yells out your lottery totals. We usually know the cost of our tickets or what we have won. The whole store does not need to know. That is why when I have a decent win, I wait until the crowds thin out before cashing in.

Iama25's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                    Wilson
                    United States
                    Member #129361
                    June 16, 2012
                    14 Posts
                    Posted: August 30, 2012, 9:54 am - IP Logged

The places I go won't usually pay out anything over $20. If I bring in a $40 scratcher winner I usually end up buying $20 worth of lotto in order to get paid. I make sure it's something I want, usually it's $10 for my 10 MM draws and then $10 worth of scratchers. I don't win $20+ often,  nor do I play scratchers often, so this isn't an issue but once every few months.

I really don't have problems with clerks saying anything or acting differently. I go to a Mobil gas station and it's usually a male manager in his late 30s and is the nicest clerk I've ever had. His attitude makes me not want to go anywhere else. When I do though it's the other end of the spectrum in terms of attitude. It's a corner market and the owner (I presume, it's a late 20's Indian guy every single time) has the same look every time he sees me and I just get a negative vibe. I still go there though because he never says anything, it's on my way to most places and also because that may just be his personality.

One day you are going to win more than 100 bucks.  Find a place that will give you all your money.  We had this problem once.  Won $250.00 (got 50 in cash 200 in money order) never bought from that store again.  Some stores don't have a lot of cash early in the morning.  No harm in having more than 1 place to cash a ticket.

Now go win.Party

trap574's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      Adk NY
                      United States
                      Member #108847
                      April 1, 2011
                      1619 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2012, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Last Bet Send-last bet send-last bet send  LOL Common at STEWARTs No one in store but three clerks Ill be right with you,five minites later 10 custermers on line and they get upset when you play a# LOL and last but not least you ask to play #s and they run or yell for help from another clerk LOL

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: August 30, 2012, 11:55 am - IP Logged

One day you are going to win more than 100 bucks.  Find a place that will give you all your money.  We had this problem once.  Won $250.00 (got 50 in cash 200 in money order) never bought from that store again.  Some stores don't have a lot of cash early in the morning.  No harm in having more than 1 place to cash a ticket.

Now go win.Party

I'm amazed that some of these licensed lottery retailers can't even come up with $50, regardless of the time of day!

We don't have that problem in my area. I could cash in a $500 ticket right now, at any store in my area.

Why don't they have any money on hand? Must be the clerks are embezzling the cash throughout the day.   Evil Looking

lambo1013's avatar - Lamborghini Aventador-LP700-4-Configurator.jpg
                          Brooklyn, New York
                          United States
                          Member #126795
                          April 16, 2012
                          830 Posts
                          Posted: August 30, 2012, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I'm amazed that some of these licensed lottery retailers can't even come up with $50, regardless of the time of day!

We don't have that problem in my area. I could cash in a $500 ticket right now, at any store in my area.

Why don't they have any money on hand? Must be the clerks are embezzling the cash throughout the day.   Evil Looking

To be honest I don't even understand how store owners don't have cash to cash in at least $250. We always cash in ppl and have enough. Unless its a couple $500 tickets like at least 3 we tell them to come in the evening and we go get the money. All these other places open up so many scratch books, more then they can sell and every wednesday you have to pay the company for the books you opened a couple weeks ago.

When I had a $250, I went to other stores curious to see if they would cash in. Me and my friend went and my friend had his ID on him, and the clerks came up with the most ridiculous excuses
                          1. The machine isn't working (clearly its working because the checking thing is working, you can't fool me)
                          2. The machine closes after 7:30 pm and you have to come in the morning to cash it in. BS
                          3. We don't have the money-2 stores said that
                          4. You need to be 21 to play the lotto

Finally the 6th store cashed it in. If your gonna make excuses, at least try to make them legit, you can't fool a person who's owned a store for 11 years

Cause every setback sets you up for a comeback

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                            upstate NY
                            United States
                            Member #108791
                            March 31, 2011
                            549 Posts
                            Posted: August 30, 2012, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Last Bet Send-last bet send-last bet send  LOL Common at STEWARTs No one in store but three clerks Ill be right with you,five minites later 10 custermers on line and they get upset when you play a# LOL and last but not least you ask to play #s and they run or yell for help from another clerk LOL

That's odd, I get my tickets at Stewarts all the time and I rarely have problems.  Once in a while I have to remind them to return my playslips after they scan them, but that's about it.

The last time NY had a raffle, I went in to get a ticket the day they went on sale and the clerk had to ask for help.  She couldn't find the game on the machine; it turns out it was under an option for "special".

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                              Portland,Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #14387
                              April 25, 2005
                              229 Posts
                              Posted: August 30, 2012, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

How much a store can pay out is, at least in part, determined by the lottery commission of the state you live in. Check your state's lottery website to see if any such limits apply in your state. In Oregon stores can pay out up to $600 won on one ticket. Over $600 and you have to go to the main lottery office to collect your winnings.  How much they will and are able to pay out depends on other factors such as time of day (early AM most stores don't have much cash available - better to wait til later in the day), whether there is a manager available ( in stores I frequent for lottery tickets clerks have to have a manager OK any payout over $100- a practice I do not mind at all even if it means waiting while a manager is summoned), and maybe other things as well.    ALWAYS check your numbers yourself using either information on the state's web site or here at LP. I once had a clerk tell me a ticket was not a winner when I already knew it was - I had taken it to a different store than the one where I bought the ticket.  I insisted (practically had to pry it out of clerk's greedy paws) on having the ticket back when she made to throw it in the trash - when I took it to the store where I bought it .... sure enough I'd won $1900!   I don't know if it's a computer thing where a store that did not sell that winning ticket doesn't read it as a winner or if it was a greedy clerk thinking I was an uninformed lottery player ... which I am not ;)

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison