Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

100 Most Stupid things Ever Said Or Done By A Lottery Clerk!!

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: August 30, 2012, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

Im not too for sure but I dont think they can make u buy anything to get paid out...I think since they are a licenseed retailer they have to obide by the lottery parameters which is anything $500 and under can b cashed in at a licensed retailer..check with your state lottery commission on that..they might or might not lose their license...Let me know what happens on that one.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: August 30, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

A few weeks after I won $10,000 on PB, I bought a Supercash.

She said you aren't going to win, you won already.

I won $500 on that supercash. I tipped her $50 anyway.

---------------------

Stopped at a gas station for a lottery ticket and he said. Stick em up this is a hold up. And then he laughed.

One clerk asked for a 7% tip if I won.

I won $5 and tipped him $0.35 :-)

Very generous tip mark! ($50 on a $500 Supercash).

Would that translate to her getting a 10% tip on multi-million dollar win.  What?

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
      Winning makes me smile.
      bel air maryland
      United States
      Member #90251
      April 24, 2010
      4862 Posts
      Posted: August 30, 2012, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Im not too for sure but I dont think they can make u buy anything to get paid out...I think since they are a licenseed retailer they have to obide by the lottery parameters which is anything $500 and under can b cashed in at a licensed retailer..check with your state lottery commission on that..they might or might not lose their license...Let me know what happens on that one.

Anything $600 or less can be paid by ANY lottery retailer. You don't have to cash it where you bought it. You don't have to buy anything. That's just the clerk giving you BS

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2012, 6:54 am - IP Logged

Anything $600 or less can be paid by ANY lottery retailer. You don't have to cash it where you bought it. You don't have to buy anything. That's just the clerk giving you BS

How about having a little fun with these crooked clerks?   Naughty

After inquiring about their ticket cashing policies, flash an official looking badge. Then politely inform them that you are with the State Lottery

Commission, and you will be reporting your findings back to the State Attorneys Office.

As you leaving the surprised and panicked clerk, make sure you are grinning with delight and say, thanks for making my quota today!    Big Smile

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2012, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

To be honest I don't even understand how store owners don't have cash to cash in at least $250. We always cash in ppl and have enough. Unless its a couple $500 tickets like at least 3 we tell them to come in the evening and we go get the money. All these other places open up so many scratch books, more then they can sell and every wednesday you have to pay the company for the books you opened a couple weeks ago.

When I had a $250, I went to other stores curious to see if they would cash in. Me and my friend went and my friend had his ID on him, and the clerks came up with the most ridiculous excuses
          1. The machine isn't working (clearly its working because the checking thing is working, you can't fool me)
          2. The machine closes after 7:30 pm and you have to come in the morning to cash it in. BS
          3. We don't have the money-2 stores said that
          4. You need to be 21 to play the lotto

Finally the 6th store cashed it in. If your gonna make excuses, at least try to make them legit, you can't fool a person who's owned a store for 11 years

Knew a deli owner awhile ago that borrowed from lotto money to pay distributors. Payed it back at the end of the month. Not sure if you can still do this.

Almost all the clerks down south have been nice and call me "hun", when i walk in. Not sure if it's the deodorant or they expect a cut if i win.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3854 Posts
            Posted: August 31, 2012, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Knew a deli owner awhile ago that borrowed from lotto money to pay distributors. Payed it back at the end of the month. Not sure if you can still do this.

Almost all the clerks down south have been nice and call me "hun", when i walk in. Not sure if it's the deodorant or they expect a cut if i win.

That would be like the lottery giving him a interest free short term loan.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2012, 3:42 am - IP Logged

That would be like the lottery giving him a interest free short term loan.

I suppose as long as he gets the money back in the till, and the books balance with the state, no harm done.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
                Member #85047
                January 7, 2010
                102 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2012, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I am a clerk.  No it is not customary to tip.
                Frankly I did dislike the practice.  What percentage do they pay of your loss? None. 
                I honestly don't see why they need a tip.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
                  Member #85047
                  January 7, 2010
                  102 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

Suggested selling is a requirement of most clerk jobs. At my work they will suspend you for 3 days for not doing it.
                  He probably was using it as a joking manner.  A lot of my customers who are regulars get annoyed by it.  We try different ways to follow the rules and not tick people off.

imagine's avatar - WINGS

United States
                    Member #85047
                    January 7, 2010
                    102 Posts
                    Posted: September 2, 2012, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

How about having a little fun with these crooked clerks?   Naughty

After inquiring about their ticket cashing policies, flash an official looking badge. Then politely inform them that you are with the State Lottery

Commission, and you will be reporting your findings back to the State Attorneys Office.

As you leaving the surprised and panicked clerk, make sure you are grinning with delight and say, thanks for making my quota today!    Big Smile

Unbelievable.   
                    Please call the lottery commission ASAP. 
                    Perhaps if you would take some time to educate yourself, you can take a break from calling clerks liars, thieves and
                    embezzlers.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: September 2, 2012, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Unbelievable.   
                      Please call the lottery commission ASAP. 
                      Perhaps if you would take some time to educate yourself, you can take a break from calling clerks liars, thieves and
                      embezzlers.

Good day, imagine. Hope your doing well.  See Ya!

The comments I made were concerning one clerk in particular, that was referenced from a poster who claimed  he was charging his customers 10%

of their winnings, to cash their tickets in. He actually gave the store location with specific directions.

This was by no means meant to be a  reflection on the vast majority of the honest, good intentioned clerks, throughout this great land.

I have met some wonderful, considerate and very helpful clerks. From the onset of this thread, I encouraged members to share stories regarding

their disappointments, as well as the warm and fuzzy moments.

Sorry if I offended you!  Disapprove

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: September 2, 2012, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

"Want fries with that?" as clerk handed over my ticket. Dud! lol

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2012, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

"Want fries with that?" as clerk handed over my ticket. Dud! lol

I think that was a very friendly and courteous suggestion made by the helpful clerk. I would have taken the fries.