Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What happens if I play for years on end and never end up winning anything in the lottery?

Topic closed. 74 replies. Last post 4 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2012, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Your best bet is to contact someone who is shrewd, has deep pockets and values the idea of saving his money from excessive lottery playing.

What I'm trying to say Ronnie,........is to PM THRIFTY to see if maybe he could finance your proven methods.

Or if that option doesn't pan out, consider holding up one of your small town banks. Should be good for at least 30-40K anyways.

And as a last resort, consider going on welfare and food stamps. I've heard many stores will redeem the food stamps for lotto tickets.  Thumbs Up

Very funny...... I'm giving you a "hint" to write a check for $90k and all you can say is that I should turn all Bonnie and Clyde and my community, which would be a big disappointment to the Illuminati who I promised that I would do right by my humble and beloved community.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
    Clarksville
    United States
    Member #487
    July 15, 2002
    17638 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Well I saved up $10k to spend on the lottery and the only workable method I have found requires $5k for at least 20 draws which is $100k and I don't have that much cash laying around the house.

Im not sure what to do??

Put your 10,000 dollars in a no load mutual fund account and let it stay there.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2012, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Very funny...... I'm giving you a "hint" to write a check for $90k and all you can say is that I should turn all Bonnie and Clyde and my community, which would be a big disappointment to the Illuminati who I promised that I would do right by my humble and beloved community.

Remember you must stand up for your own ideals. Do not become obsessed with pleasing the Illuminati, I'm sure they also have their own agenda's.

I didn't realize you were conveying a "hint" to me. If I had that kind of money laying around, I would certainly consider financing your enterprise.

BTW, banks aren't that difficult to rob. Just wear a good disguise, make your getaway on a bicycle, and hit them just before they open on a Friday.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2012, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Remember you must stand up for your own ideals. Do not become obsessed with pleasing the Illuminati, I'm sure they also have their own agenda's.

I didn't realize you were conveying a "hint" to me. If I had that kind of money laying around, I would certainly consider financing your enterprise.

BTW, banks aren't that difficult to rob. Just wear a good disguise, make your getaway on a bicycle, and hit them just before they open on a Friday.

Well thanks for your advice and all, but I think I may just walk in and ask to borrow it for playing the lottery.

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Well thanks for your advice and all, but I think I may just walk in and ask to borrow it for playing the lottery.

Where's the challenge and fun in that.  What?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3092 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2012, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I think that if you remember it is for fun you will have more fun with your entertainment budget because that is what most people do with their fun money.  If you can't enjoy the lottery any more then do not play but I tried to quit too but saw those jackpots getting higher and decided to play.  Tickets are so cheap so I don't drink morning lattes or smoke or drink alcohol so I like to try my luck on the lottery but I budget it now for the last several years now.  So when the money runs out it is wait until next month to play but I like to buy the ticket then come to lottery post and post in my blog about the ticket.  Then go to maddog challenge and post numbers to see if I hit anything you have lost your fun in the games you play I think.  So just don't spend too much and have fun with it.  Good luck to you in the future for a big win!-weshar75

US Flag

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3857 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2012, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

been playing since 1973 except when living in states that did,nt have lottery,

I stick to budget and don't get down about it,

in fact if I'm having a bad day at work I say to myself

"oh well its not going to matter after I win tonight's drawing"

so the hope and dream is always there.

But I agree w/others here that if it gets you down you should take a break.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4963 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2012, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

Great advice from everyone here.  Play within your budget (I felt guilty spending more than $3.00 a week so I stopped going to Starbucks) and don't wait for a Lottery win to accomplish goals in your life. 5 years from now, it will be 5 years later whether you win or not (I know this is going to end up in the quotes somewhere lol). 

Every 6 months, I make a list of things I want to accomplish and learn (personal goals). I always wanted to write a script and spent some time researching how to do it (all of this info is online) , got samples, learned to write dialogue etc all with a day job and another career as well. Writing it was the accomplishisment...now whether I make $ and win anything is another. That will be on my list in another year or two. Take an affordable adult ed class, learn something new, volunteer, etc. Intellectual curiousity keeps one in the game and happy. $ cannot buy you happiness. You should be  too busy with your goals and interests to worry about winning the lottery.  It should be just an amusing game. If you have a bad day at work, think "I need to get going on this other goal", etc. As Oprah used to say, you have to have a plan.

J'aime La France.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                  Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2012, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

This is how I justify playing the lottery.

1. I do not smoke cigarettes. Cigarettes budget to those who smoke regularly is over $1,000 a year.

2. Its a form of entertainment. Some people spend a lot of money at the movies every weekend..I rarely go to the movies

3. Its a small chance to win a lot of money. Nothing motivates a man than legit money he didnt work for. Thumbs Up

Plus I keep a tight budget. I keep it under $20 a week.

That money's gone fo ever

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3502 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2012, 1:53 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I've been starting to realize that maybe I've not been realistic with myself when it comes to the lottery. Even though I know the chances of winning a jackpot are astronomical I still have the hope that I will win enough money in the lottery to change my life. For years I only played the lottery when the drawing games were over 100 million but things started to change almost 3 years ago when I just started playing the lottery more consistently hoping for that big win.  Well like the majority of people who play the lottery regulary there is no big win on my end. I read stories about some people playing for 30 years before they win the jackpot and other's who rarely play and win a big jackpot.  I'm just started to have to accept that maybe I've been living in a dreamworld about all of this. Everytime I scratch a ticket and win nothing and each time I check my PB, MM, Mass Cash or Lucky for Life Ticket and get nothing I get extremely depressed. Why was I able to go for so many years feeling that playing the lottery was only a losing proposition and a voluntary tax so I rarelyplayed to being the way I am now with this desperate need to win. Sorry for my rambling I'm just feeling bummed out today. Have been playing less but can't seem to give up cold turkey on the lottery. Some people on this site seem like they are upbeat people and wish I could be that way.

"I read stories about some people playing for 30 years before they win the jackpot and other's who rarely play and win a big jackpot."

It may take 10 to 15 drawings, but sooner or later one of the millions of people who play the lottery will win. That you may read a story about how long they've been playing or how recently they started means nothing. All of the people who lost  can tell the same story about when they started. If 90% of lottery players have been playing for more than 5 years then 90% of winners wil have been playing for more than 5 years. It very definitely doesn't mean that people who have been playing for more than 5 years are 9 times more likely to win than the 10% who have been playing for less than 5 years. Your tickets have the same extremely slim chance as anyone else's tickets.

As for being depressed when you don't win, it might just be because you've been having unrealistic expectations about winning. OTOH, maybe you should be looking at the other things that are going on in your life.  You may have also read stories that make it clear that a fair percentage of jackpot winners had various problems that weren't solved by winning the lottery. It's a safe bet that a similar percentage of players who don't win a jackpot have the same sort of problems.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3112 Posts
                      Posted: September 19, 2012, 6:03 am - IP Logged

Lottery is one of those things you keep doing pretty much the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result and sometimes you get one.  You are far too invested in the games if losing tickets depress you as they are what's expected.  No wait, I expect to win every time I play, but never get depressed losing unless I over spent, so I try very hard not to.  It only takes one ticket to be in it to win, no excuse to over spend.  Probably a better chance to win with one or two well chosen combinations then a hundred quick picks. You have only truely lost when you stop playing.  BobP

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3316 Posts
                        Posted: September 19, 2012, 6:12 am - IP Logged

look at the stars in a moonless nights sky? ever counted them? well there are more ways to lose in lotto than their are visable stars in the sky! we keep playing only the fool expects to win, we are just in with that chance because we have tickets. ie HOPE.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: September 19, 2012, 6:19 am - IP Logged

Lottery is one of those things you keep doing pretty much the same thing over and over again hoping for a different result and sometimes you get one.  You are far too invested in the games if losing tickets depress you as they are what's expected.  No wait, I expect to win every time I play, but never get depressed losing unless I over spent, so I try very hard not to.  It only takes one ticket to be in it to win, no excuse to over spend.  Probably a better chance to win with one or two well chosen combinations then a hundred quick picks. You have only truely lost when you stop playing.  BobP

Good synopsis Bob.  Cheers

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: September 19, 2012, 6:22 am - IP Logged

look at the stars in a moonless nights sky? ever counted them? well there are more ways to lose in lotto than their are visable stars in the sky! we keep playing only the fool expects to win, we are just in with that chance because we have tickets. ie HOPE.

"only the fool expects to win"

Then I must be biggest fool ever!   Jack-in-the-Box   LOL

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                              East of Columbus, OH
                              United States
                              Member #120843
                              December 28, 2011
                              451 Posts
                              Posted: September 19, 2012, 7:40 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I've been starting to realize that maybe I've not been realistic with myself when it comes to the lottery. Even though I know the chances of winning a jackpot are astronomical I still have the hope that I will win enough money in the lottery to change my life. For years I only played the lottery when the drawing games were over 100 million but things started to change almost 3 years ago when I just started playing the lottery more consistently hoping for that big win.  Well like the majority of people who play the lottery regulary there is no big win on my end. I read stories about some people playing for 30 years before they win the jackpot and other's who rarely play and win a big jackpot.  I'm just started to have to accept that maybe I've been living in a dreamworld about all of this. Everytime I scratch a ticket and win nothing and each time I check my PB, MM, Mass Cash or Lucky for Life Ticket and get nothing I get extremely depressed. Why was I able to go for so many years feeling that playing the lottery was only a losing proposition and a voluntary tax so I rarelyplayed to being the way I am now with this desperate need to win. Sorry for my rambling I'm just feeling bummed out today. Have been playing less but can't seem to give up cold turkey on the lottery. Some people on this site seem like they are upbeat people and wish I could be that way.

You probably aren't going to win a JP.  Sorry, those are the facts.

Play it for the hope of winning, not as a means of financing your future.

I hope to win every time I play, but I go to work every day as a back up plan.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool