Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much money would you have to win to be able to quit your job and retire?

Topic closed. 95 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 7
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2012, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know how much would people have to win before they could quit their job and retire permanently. I've often wondered about this.  For me to be able to quit my job I'm not sure of the exact number but I would have to win a comfortable amount before that could ever happen. I have a job and not a career so it would be fantastic to be able to quit my job since I have a low salary and dislike my job.  I know that in my state if a person wins a million on a scratch ticket it's never a million payout if you take the lump sum (usually 650,000 before takes). I would need to win a whole lot of money after takes are paid in order to ever retire, just not sure of the exact dollar amount.  I realize for many people being able to retire can vary from person to person. If someone is near retirement age and they win a million it might mean they are able to retire for others a million would still be wonderful but most likely mean that you would still be working (as I would have to if I won a million).

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11979 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know how much would people have to win before they could quit their job and retire permanently. I've often wondered about this.  For me to be able to quit my job I'm not sure of the exact number but I would have to win a comfortable amount before that could ever happen. I have a job and not a career so it would be fantastic to be able to quit my job since I have a low salary and dislike my job.  I know that in my state if a person wins a million on a scratch ticket it's never a million payout if you take the lump sum (usually 650,000 before takes). I would need to win a whole lot of money after takes are paid in order to ever retire, just not sure of the exact dollar amount.  I realize for many people being able to retire can vary from person to person. If someone is near retirement age and they win a million it might mean they are able to retire for others a million would still be wonderful but most likely mean that you would still be working (as I would have to if I won a million).

Play the Powerball lottery. The starting jackpot is $40M annuity which is a life changing amount with a cash value of about $25M. You only have to sit out for six drawings to play for $100M annuity. Tickets cost $2.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

$2 million good...... $7 million BETTER.........

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4792 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

I agree !

J'aime La France.

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

With careful planning and very shrew investing, I could probably retire on $500.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11979 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

The new PB game was created with a $40M starting jackpot because the lottery wales do not want to spend money on cheap lottery products like classic lotto and mega millions. Time is Money.

The POWERBAL lottery is a high rollers game.

US Flag

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

It don't take much if you get a piece of land in the country where you can hunt and fish and grow stuff. I could live on deer and elk and turkey and rabbit and squirrel and vegetables without ever leaving my property and catfish are just a short drive down the road.

It all depends on how you like or need to live. If you're like billionaire2bee and need to have 3 Bentleys, well, then it's gonna take more money.

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11979 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

With careful planning and very shrew investing, I could probably retire on $500.

Men underwears will cost $500 in 2013. lol

US Flag

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I still wear my original pairs from high school. If it's not broken, don't fix it I always say.

Maybe now your getting how I could retire on $500.  Wink

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    11979 Posts
                    Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

It don't take much if you get a piece of land in the country where you can hunt and fish and grow stuff. I could live on deer and elk and turkey and rabbit and squirrel and vegetables without ever leaving my property and catfish are just a short drive down the road.

It all depends on how you like or need to live. If you're like billionaire2bee and need to have 3 Bentleys, well, then it's gonna take more money.

The Chinese will own the rights to all the water in the USA by 2016. You will have to pay a tax for everything that you consume from your lands.

They are buying all the US lotteries too. lol

US Flag

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                      Winning makes me smile.
                      bel air maryland
                      United States
                      Member #90251
                      April 24, 2010
                      4874 Posts
                      Posted: September 30, 2012, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

You'll save your $$$ by not wearing any.  Scared

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
                        Member #128373
                        May 22, 2012
                        201 Posts
                        Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

At least $10 million after taxes I could live comfortably on at my age (an old 29 years).

The lottery is NOT a tax on the poor.  By calling it a tax, you are calling it mandatory, which is what taxes are.  But the lottery is NOT mandatory, therefore calling it a tax highly inaccurate.

NEW YORK
                          United States
                          Member #90535
                          April 29, 2010
                          11979 Posts
                          Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

You'll save your $$$ by not wearing any.  Scared

Underwears prevent my snake from growing more. I do not want to tie it around my knees.

US Flag

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Underwears prevent my snake from growing more. I do not want to tie it around my knees.

You must be quite the ladies man "snake"  Naughty

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
                              Member #133462
                              September 30, 2012
                              5946 Posts
                              Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

I didn't take that advice and my g/f sued me for sexual assualt

"Everything works  ONCE!"