Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much money would you have to win to be able to quit your job and retire?

Topic closed. 95 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 2 of 7
52
PrintE-mailLink
THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
12118 Posts
Offline
Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

You must be quite the ladies man "snake"  Naughty

Yes indeed, the ladies love my snake.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

    Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

    Bahamas
    Member #133462
    September 30, 2012
    5946 Posts
    Offline
    Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

    Hi everyone,

    Just wanted to know how much would people have to win before they could quit their job and retire permanently. I've often wondered about this.  For me to be able to quit my job I'm not sure of the exact number but I would have to win a comfortable amount before that could ever happen. I have a job and not a career so it would be fantastic to be able to quit my job since I have a low salary and dislike my job.  I know that in my state if a person wins a million on a scratch ticket it's never a million payout if you take the lump sum (usually 650,000 before takes). I would need to win a whole lot of money after takes are paid in order to ever retire, just not sure of the exact dollar amount.  I realize for many people being able to retire can vary from person to person. If someone is near retirement age and they win a million it might mean they are able to retire for others a million would still be wonderful but most likely mean that you would still be working (as I would have to if I won a million).

    Enough to keep COUSIN CASSIE happy!

    "Everything works  ONCE!"


      United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Offline
      Posted: September 30, 2012, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

      Yes indeed, the ladies love my snake.

      And my oh my, your so modest about this fact!  Blush

        HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #94283
        July 17, 2010
        2284 Posts
        Offline
        Posted: September 30, 2012, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

        A million ain't what it used to be.  I couldn't retire on that either.  I'd need about 1.5 mil after taxes to be somewhat comfortable, so that's almost 3 million I'd have to win.

          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19904 Posts
          Offline
          Posted: September 30, 2012, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

          I'm already retired and I'm not looking for a job.  I just need enough to know that once I had brought everything I wanted I would have enough left to not go broke maintaining it. 

          Some folks work all their younger years  to reach a standard of living that can't afford once they retire, they have to downsize.

           * you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 
             
                       Evil Looking       


            United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Offline
            Posted: September 30, 2012, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

            I'm already retired and I'm not looking for a job.  I just need enough to know that once I had brought everything I wanted I would have enough left to not go broke maintaining it. 

            Some folks work all their younger years  to reach a standard of living that can't afford once they retire, they have to downsize.

            So how much $$$ do you need to "maintain" your lifestyle???


              United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Offline
              Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

              I wish i could retire on a million but I know me and it would not cut it....now that stating jackpot for either megemillions or powerball would suit me just fine...Yup start there and go up anything there and up I'd retire....BTW Ronnie 316..how much did you win??? If you don't mind me asking? Or is the 5+1 just you hoping like me?


                United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Offline
                Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

                I wish i could retire on a million but I know me and it would not cut it....now that stating jackpot for either megemillions or powerball would suit me just fine...Yup start there and go up anything there and up I'd retire....BTW Ronnie 316..how much did you win??? If you don't mind me asking? Or is the 5+1 just you hoping like me?

                The 5+1 is a successful prediction I made on Aug. 10, 2012 using the number 8 bonus ball.

                http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/45

                  janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                  California
                  United States
                  Member #69399
                  January 9, 2009
                  380 Posts
                  Offline
                  Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

                  I could do it with 7 million after taxes. That is taking into account the current low interest rates for investments. I would be investing at least 80% of it in "safe investments". I wouldn't take any chances with something with a higher return but riskier in terms of losing your initial investment. Living off the interst/dividends would be my goal and use the other 20% to have fun with.

                  It was always in the stars for me to be a lottery winner.

                    whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                    Nutley, New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #131058
                    August 1, 2012
                    875 Posts
                    Offline
                    Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

                    It don't take much if you get a piece of land in the country where you can hunt and fish and grow stuff. I could live on deer and elk and turkey and rabbit and squirrel and vegetables without ever leaving my property and catfish are just a short drive down the road.

                    It all depends on how you like or need to live. If you're like billionaire2bee and need to have 3 Bentleys, well, then it's gonna take more money.

                    what does squirrel taste like?

                    .


                      United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Offline
                      Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

                      A million ain't what it used to be.  I couldn't retire on that either.  I'd need about 1.5 mil after taxes to be somewhat comfortable, so that's almost 3 million I'd have to win.

                      You WILL retire at some point   HoLeeKau, regardless of how much money you do or do not have!!

                      The average SS check is around $1200. a month for 61 million people.

                      You do the math.


                        United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Offline
                        Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

                        what does squirrel taste like?

                        I'm guessing it tastes like chicken........ lol.


                          United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Offline
                          Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

                          You WILL retire at some point   HoLeeKau, regardless of how much money you do or do not have!!

                          The average SS check is around $1200. a month for 61 million people.

                          You do the math.

                          Hmm....I spend that much on scratch tickets every month.

                          Guess I could retire now!   Banana

                            Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

                            Bahamas
                            Member #133462
                            September 30, 2012
                            5946 Posts
                            Offline
                            Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

                            Hmm....I spend that much on scratch tickets every month.

                            Guess I could retire now!   Banana

                            If this is RETIREMENT, I'll pass.

                            "Everything works  ONCE!"


                              United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Offline
                              Posted: September 30, 2012, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

                              If this is RETIREMENT, I'll pass.

                              Your loss sonny boy.