Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who has better odds of hitting 3 of 5 ?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2012, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Playing the 5/56 game with 46 QPs....

OR

Playing the 5/56 game with a 2 if 5 of 56 wheel with 46 lines....

I believe the wheel has almost 3 times better chance of hitting 3 of 5,

Im just not sure about the math.....

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2012, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Quality raised, range free, grain fed, wholesome, pure random QP's, will always have the better odds.  Wink

AlgorithmGuru's avatar - avatar
      Pittsburgh, PA
      United States
      Member #130598
      July 20, 2012
      37 Posts
      Posted: October 10, 2012, 3:28 am - IP Logged

Quality raised, range free, grain fed, wholesome, pure random QP's, will always have the better odds.  Wink

LOL.  so I'm going to jump in and play a little semantics game really quick (this isn't an attack, just a semantical note lol).  So the reality is, all the numbers have the exact same OODS of hitting in any drawing.  The QP's don't have better odds, they have a better statiscal win history.  That does not mean that the best numbers to play are QP's.  Actually you could argue that QP's hit the most because the most people play them.  All this is indicative of is the natural order of the randomness.  In other words, in a random system of guessing, the more people guessing using a particular method will probably generate the most wins simply by the amount of guesses thrown at the game.  Imagine instead if we didn't count the number of wins per se.  But instead we count the number of wins versus the number of guesses versus the total amount of possibilities.  In this case the results might be substantially different.  For instance if my winning strategy produces winning results once a week per 10 guesses (1 out of 10) and quick pick results are 100 wins per 1,000,000  (1 out of 10,000) which would you prefer?  Sure the qp's won 99 more times this week than my system, but you could evaluate the odds to 9 to 1 or 9,999 to 1.  Of course like I said, the odds actually are the same, but what we're talking about is the imperical historical comparison of one system to another and rating the implied "odds" of those systems against each other. 

Mcginnin:  your signature says it all - the QP's have the SAME ODDS of hitting as do any numbers selected from a system.  As for the OP's original question:  I have no idea which method will give better historical evidence of a favor one way or the other.  I know that every time I've ever played a QP i've lost, but then again I've never won by picking either.  lol.  Back to the drawing board.  :)  Sorry about the semantical digression, I just thought it was interesting to note.

If it's not consistent, it's irrelevant :)

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2012, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the lengthy response,

but I came to this thread asking for a math solution not semantical digression.

Lets look at it this way. How many random lines can be played WITHOUT getting 2 of 5 on a single line? 

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2012, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

LOL.  so I'm going to jump in and play a little semantics game really quick (this isn't an attack, just a semantical note lol).  So the reality is, all the numbers have the exact same OODS of hitting in any drawing.  The QP's don't have better odds, they have a better statiscal win history.  That does not mean that the best numbers to play are QP's.  Actually you could argue that QP's hit the most because the most people play them.  All this is indicative of is the natural order of the randomness.  In other words, in a random system of guessing, the more people guessing using a particular method will probably generate the most wins simply by the amount of guesses thrown at the game.  Imagine instead if we didn't count the number of wins per se.  But instead we count the number of wins versus the number of guesses versus the total amount of possibilities.  In this case the results might be substantially different.  For instance if my winning strategy produces winning results once a week per 10 guesses (1 out of 10) and quick pick results are 100 wins per 1,000,000  (1 out of 10,000) which would you prefer?  Sure the qp's won 99 more times this week than my system, but you could evaluate the odds to 9 to 1 or 9,999 to 1.  Of course like I said, the odds actually are the same, but what we're talking about is the imperical historical comparison of one system to another and rating the implied "odds" of those systems against each other. 

Mcginnin:  your signature says it all - the QP's have the SAME ODDS of hitting as do any numbers selected from a system.  As for the OP's original question:  I have no idea which method will give better historical evidence of a favor one way or the other.  I know that every time I've ever played a QP i've lost, but then again I've never won by picking either.  lol.  Back to the drawing board.  :)  Sorry about the semantical digression, I just thought it was interesting to note.

Thank you for that informative and educational response Algo.  Thumbs Up

I agree with everything, and was just giving 'ol Ronnie316 a run for his money.

He did very well last evening in the predictions board for MM's.  Accordingly he should be treated with the highest level of respect and dignity.  Patriot

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
            upstate NY
            United States
            Member #108791
            March 31, 2011
            549 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2012, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the lengthy response,

but I came to this thread asking for a math solution not semantical digression.

Lets look at it this way. How many random lines can be played WITHOUT getting 2 of 5 on a single line? 

That's the thing with random, though: you can't predict random.  I could play two QPs and hit 2 out of 5 on one or both of them.  I could play 10, 15, 20 QPs or more and not get two matches on any of them.  There is no reliable mathematical solution.

Patriot

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: October 10, 2012, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

That's the thing with random, though: you can't predict random.  I could play two QPs and hit 2 out of 5 on one or both of them.  I could play 10, 15, 20 QPs or more and not get two matches on any of them.  There is no reliable mathematical solution.

Finding a "reliable mathematical solution" is not the objective. 

If a 2 if 5 of 56 wheel is guarenteed a 2 of 5 match on 46 lines, someone plaease explain why any random 46 lines is NOT guarenteed a 2 of 5 match?? 

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: October 10, 2012, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

In other words, why are the odds of hitting 3 of 5 BETTER on a 2 if 5 of 56 wheel than on QPs.

Am I to understand that the odds are NOT better?? Its just the luck of the draw??

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2012, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for that informative and educational response Algo.  Thumbs Up

I agree with everything, and was just giving 'ol Ronnie316 a run for his money.

He did very well last evening in the predictions board for MM's.  Accordingly he should be treated with the highest level of respect and dignity.  Patriot

If I'm just dreaming here I will be happy to find out that I'm wrong........ But when I have a 2 number match guaranteed on 46 lines and the other 54 numbers have 3 chances to land on that same line my odds are 3 in 54 of hitting 3 of 5 and that's about 3 times BETTER than the 46 in 308 chance that your QPs have.........

Someone do the math please, and tell me if I'm wrong??

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2012, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Free Range QP's?

Green laugh

Boy would that look great on a playslip:

QP

FRQP

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2012, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Thats like saying it doesnt really matter if I play 60 tickets and you play 20 tickets because you "could" have more winners on your 20 tickets than I have on my 60 tickets   What?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10390 Posts
                        Posted: October 10, 2012, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Thats like saying it doesnt really matter if I play 60 tickets and you play 20 tickets because you "could" have more winners on your 20 tickets than I have on my 60 tickets   What?

Happens all the time, doesn't it?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: October 10, 2012, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Happens all the time, doesn't it?

Sure...... In some alternate reality......

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: October 10, 2012, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

If I'm just dreaming here I will be happy to find out that I'm wrong........ But when I have a 2 number match guaranteed on 46 lines and the other 54 numbers have 3 chances to land on that same line my odds are 3 in 54 of hitting 3 of 5 and that's about 3 times BETTER than the 46 in 308 chance that your QPs have.........

Someone do the math please, and tell me if I'm wrong??

Sounds like you need a certified mathematician/Lotto Guru/programmer analyst to assist you in this area.

Normally I would recommend speaking to the reputable IndianaKid, but he is temporarily on a leave of extended absence.

You might consider running this by THRIFTY, RJ, or Stack for further analysis.

Good luck Ronnie316!  Lep

riscknight's avatar - riscknight
                              Athens
                              Greece
                              Member #133234
                              September 24, 2012
                              192 Posts
                              Posted: October 11, 2012, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Hello Ronnie316.

You select 5 numbers from 56.

In order to have 3 numbers correct, your "chances" are 1 in 300. That equals to 12.750 combinations that you'll have to play.

For getting 2 numbers, 1 in 18 and 208.250 combinations.

Would you like to let me know how many numbers you're thinking about wheeling? And, if you can copy & paste those numbers here in order to test & verify them on some filters?

Regards.

6/49 dis(assembly)