Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So you wake up Thursday morning and realize you are the sole Powerball Winner!!

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 4 years ago by GTR1946.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #61435
May 22, 2008
906 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2012, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

After claiming the prize and letting it all soak in, what would you do?

Would you continue to work?  Would you start your own business? 

Would you just invest in tax free muni bonds which wouldn't beat inflation but would net you around $200,000 per month tax free....and do nothing but hang out and travel?

Me personally, I would have to do something.  I would go stir crazy with nothing to do....never ending vacations would get tiresome....

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2012, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I'd hang out and travel.  It's hard to bore me.  LOL  I'd read a lot and probably look for a new hobby too tho.  What with hiring help to clean house and do yardwork, I'd have a lot of extra time.

LottoNick56's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      Tampa, FL
      United States
      Member #121764
      January 16, 2012
      188 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably take a few trips to look for houses/ apartments around the country.  I'd like to have a house on Miami Beach or nearby Miami, one in southern California on the beach, one in Pennsylvania and maybe one somewhere else in America.  I'd also need to start looking for a few new cars.  When you have $200 cash after taxes, you can splurge a little harder than someone who wins $10-$30 million.  When you have $200 million plus to your name, you're Super-rich in my book.  I'm sure it's extremely difficult to spend that much money.  Even after my 3 or 4 multi-million dollar houses, and a couple cars/ SUVs for each house, I'd still only have spent less than $15-$20 million dollars..and those would be the most expensive items.  Furnishing the places and hiring staff would not come near that in price.  Even if it does, $30 million from $200 million is a far cry from spending too much too fast lol.  Wow this jackpot is huge...Unbelievable.

...Someone's going to win eventually...

...Never know, could be me...

WaLottoDude's avatar - 8ball
        Snohomish, WA
        United States
        Member #135234
        November 19, 2012
        29 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

Would you just invest in tax free muni bonds which wouldn't beat inflation but would net you around $200,000 per month tax free....and do nothing but hang out and travel?

Me personally, I would have to do something.  I would go stir crazy with nothing to do....never ending vacations would get tiresome....

Seriously?

First thing is first. Thursday morning get a safe deposit box. Put it in there. Then I'd go to work for the first week while I email some lawyers and maybe take a day off the following week (1st week in dec) to meet with them about my options for accepting the money.Once I figure out the best way to accept the money I would do so as I believe in WA I can accept anonymously so I'd probably do that. Then I'd continue working... Maybe part time.

I'd want to invest half in a a way where I can get some interest to live off of. Then go through and pay off all of my bills. Pay off family and friends home's and hopefully be able to give them some money, pending tax research etc. Of course find a cause or create my own to give to the community or non profit. Nothing in specific in that area rght now. Then buy a new home (design one maybe) Move into it a yearish later where I'd quit my job. Travel and then start my own business or buy a current one. Something to invest to grow the rest of the money while I keep my 50% "live off interest" money.

Realistically? I'd stay up all night wondering what in h3ll I'm going to do and the next day cash it in and forget to do it anonymouslyConfused

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I want to take at least 2 back to back cruises on that "Oasis of the Sea"...since it would take at least a month for me to get my money split it with my brother and sisters...I'd have plenty of time to make arrangements and quit my job....

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
            Member #133462
            September 30, 2012
            5946 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I want to take at least 2 back to back cruises on that "Oasis of the Sea"...since it would take at least a month for me to get my money split it with my brother and sisters...I'd have plenty of time to make arrangements and quit my job....

Never cruised on it but I did take the tour. Amazing experience.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Florida
              United States
              Member #61435
              May 22, 2008
              906 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Dont forget taxes are POTENTIALLY going up if our lovely Gov't doesn't act quickly so this claim period may be RUSHED!!

Ga
                United States
                Member #120454
                December 20, 2011
                141 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I would do what most would advise, lawyer, CPA, financial planner. I would find a very secure place to keep it. Until you give to lottery office, it's just a piece of paper. I would travel learn a few languages. I would give a lot to family and friends I could give $100 million away and still have more than I would ever need. I would enjoy life then. Nothing but free time now.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #61435
                  May 22, 2008
                  906 Posts
                  Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I would do what most would advise, lawyer, CPA, financial planner. I would find a very secure place to keep it. Until you give to lottery office, it's just a piece of paper. I would travel learn a few languages. I would give a lot to family and friends I could give $100 million away and still have more than I would ever need. I would enjoy life then. Nothing but free time now.

You do realize should you give away 100 million YOU would owe an additional $35,000,000.00 in taxes......

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                    Connecticut
                    United States
                    Member #61623
                    May 29, 2008
                    20581 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I would head to maine till we REALLY figure out what to do.

I have a hard time believing a realtor wouldn't give us a home on credit till we figure it out and cash the check.

Nobody would be getting a dime until I get my kicks.  lol

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19817 Posts
                      Posted: November 26, 2012, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

It having to deal with the problems of what to do after winning that much money that turn some people off to buying tickets when the jackpot gets that large. 

Some people just don't care to deal with a lot of unsolicited advice from family, lawyers, financial planners and the rest so they just wait until the jackpot goes back to a more reasonable and manageable amount.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: November 26, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged
                        • Buy a Harley
                        • Never spend another day working for someone else
                        • Look up every so-and-so I did work for

Actually I lifted that from someone I was in the Army with, but not a bad plan.

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

WV
                          United States
                          Member #107175
                          March 2, 2011
                          100 Posts
                          Posted: November 26, 2012, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I do know one thing for sure i would not do and that is continue to work. My job consist of dealing with the public. I have to deal with people complaining and bitching sometimes. Also i am not an early morning person. So if i would happen to win a large amount of money the last thing i would be doing is dragging myself out of bed to go to a job that involves the above.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2012, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I do know one thing for sure i would not do and that is continue to work. My job consist of dealing with the public. I have to deal with people complaining and bitching sometimes. Also i am not an early morning person. So if i would happen to win a large amount of money the last thing i would be doing is dragging myself out of bed to go to a job that involves the above.

LOL alexnt55.........that's the BEST answer i've heard so far.....cheers to you sir well freakin said.....LOL

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: November 26, 2012, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

take phone off the hook, and stay in bed all day. I'll have some serious thinking. and relaxing to do.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297