Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So you wake up Thursday morning and realize you are the sole Powerball Winner!!

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 4 years ago by GTR1946.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
Gurnee, Illinois
United States
Member #49731
February 12, 2007
917 Posts
Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:15 am - IP Logged

I'd probably take a few trips to look for houses/ apartments around the country.  I'd like to have a house on Miami Beach or nearby Miami, one in southern California on the beach, one in Pennsylvania and maybe one somewhere else in America.  I'd also need to start looking for a few new cars.  When you have $200 cash after taxes, you can splurge a little harder than someone who wins $10-$30 million.  When you have $200 million plus to your name, you're Super-rich in my book.  I'm sure it's extremely difficult to spend that much money.  Even after my 3 or 4 multi-million dollar houses, and a couple cars/ SUVs for each house, I'd still only have spent less than $15-$20 million dollars..and those would be the most expensive items.  Furnishing the places and hiring staff would not come near that in price.  Even if it does, $30 million from $200 million is a far cry from spending too much too fast lol.  Wow this jackpot is huge...Unbelievable.

Think again about how hard it would be to blow this amount of cash. Don't believe me? Just ask ol' Jack Whitaker!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Think again about how hard it would be to blow this amount of cash. Don't believe me? Just ask ol' Jack Whitaker!

He hasn't blown it...........yet............but I think he'll die (I hate to say it) of his vices before he goes broke.....remember he was a millionaire BEFORE he was a MULTI millionaire....LOL....even with all the lawsuits you know a well paid lawyer can ties a cases up for years....if you dont have the money to keep going to court....they'll just drain you...til you give up...

United States
      Member #106134
      February 13, 2011
      806 Posts
      Posted: November 28, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

I would honestly spend very little out of fear of becoming poor again.  I'd maybe spend $500,000 max on a house.  $65,000 for a Cadillac CTS-V.  What else...hmmm can't think of any other big purchases.  I'd try to live off less than $200,000 a year which would be real easy with no house or car payment.  I'm sure I'd still use coupons, search for deals, and still buy clothes at thrift stores.

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: November 28, 2012, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Scratch the above car purchase.  I saw an '09 Pontiac G8 GXP online with only 9,200 miles going for $35,000.  Almost as fast as the Cadillac at around half the price.Thumbs Up

golfer1960's avatar - Lottery-003.jpg
          Eatontown, NJ
          United States
          Member #119670
          November 29, 2011
          740 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2012, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Wow this is fun!

I'd share about $5M with family.

Spend no more than $900K for a house (I'm sure I wouldn't need that much).

Set aside $180K for professional interior decorations and improvements.

Set aside $30K for vacations.

$40K for a new Cadillac CTS.

Put $300K in my pocket.

Then I'd split the rest into two funds. The first fund of $102M would be invested for growth and the other $102M would be invested for my income (approx $2.8M per year).

I like my job but I'd have to quit because everyone would be envious.

Of course I'd play lots of golf all over the world!

Ahh....

satisfied face

Iowa
            United States
            Member #135132
            November 16, 2012
            9 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2012, 10:40 am - IP Logged

Well first thing i would do is contact a lawyer and a financial advisor. I would do everything in my power to remain anonymous, and after claiming my prize i would make sure that most of the money is in a safe, low interest investment spread across various financial institutions. My parents would have access to any funds they need and they would retire somewhere tropical. I would set aside a little bit of fun money and travel the world with my girlfriend. The vacation around the world would take probably around one year. After that, i would most likely marry my girlfriend and move somewhere where we could start a family. Build a custom house - but big by any means as i do not like 10,000sqft mansions nor do i need the space, but a nice home that would be tailored to my liking. I would then go back for a second degree, probably in Finance and Economics. After i graduate, i would start managing my money by opening up my own business and working for myself. I would start with a small amount of money, and increase it in slow increments. Smile

msjthewinner's avatar - yocco
              Wilmington, NC
              United States
              Member #130031
              July 4, 2012
              199 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2012, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Since I live in North Carolina - I would first try and figure out a way to keep my anonymity.  If at all possible - I wouldn't tell a single soul.  No newspaper or television interviews, no picture on the website - I woudn't want anyone to know. 

I'm a single mother and I would set aside trust funds for my 2 children - take care of life insurance policies; create a will; hire a honest, trustworthy, talented, skilled and brilliant financial planner and lawyer

Since I'm a copywriter and work from home, that's what I'd continue to do because I love it.  But I wouldn't scrounge around looking for work.  Forget that!  I'd chill and work only with the clients of my choice and only when I wanted to work.  NO more ridiculous deadlines or insane and unappreciative clients. 

I'd buy a nice house and car - nothing crazy that would raise eyebrows in my family and friends - but that my children would love.  We'd vacation, and just have fun.

And then, I privately give money away - no one would know it was from me.  I'd take care of my family - but they'd never know the money came from me...sending them cash - money that shows up at the right time would simply blow their minds. 

I'd also help everyday people.  And you know who they are - that struggling mom in the grocery store just trying to scrounge up a decent meal...the person counting pennies at the gas station trying to make it to work...the homeless person that you instinctly know is living out of their car...helping these folks will change their lives and mine as well...Plus it would further enforce the value of human kindness and compassion to my children. 

I'd go to my kids school, talk with the guidance councelors and find out which families need help and I'd help them.  My only requirement is that the school keep my involvement private.

I'd simply do random acts of kindness all over the place because nothing could bring me more joy than bringing happiness and peace to the lives of others...ooooooh the possiblities!Big Smile

"Guardian Angels, I request a Most Benevolent Outcome for each of us winning the lottery on this day and may the outcome be a gazillion times better than I could hope for or expect and may it happen in ways for the highest and best good of me and everyone else concerned.  Thank You, I Receive."

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                Dayton OH
                United States
                Member #124697
                March 18, 2012
                251 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2012, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

I am a stay at home mom, so my husband would quit his job. Start his own business from home. build a new house with a pool and a bocce court. College fund for all my kiDs. few big vacations. Hit my bucket list places! Beyond that....... I have no idea. Charity and I am sure we would give some to family!

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: November 28, 2012, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Scratch the above car purchase.  I saw an '09 Pontiac G8 GXP online with only 9,200 miles going for $35,000.  Almost as fast as the Cadillac at around half the price.Thumbs Up

REALLY? I mean really ??? C'mon if you win this jackpot it's enough money to buy 1,000 ferrari FF's and fill the tanks with gas.....and you want to scrimp and buy a USED PONTIAC???? REALLLY ?? OMG...........LOL

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4783 Posts
                    Posted: November 28, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

REALLY? I mean really ??? C'mon if you win this jackpot it's enough money to buy 1,000 ferrari FF's and fill the tanks with gas.....and you want to scrimp and buy a USED PONTIAC???? REALLLY ?? OMG...........LOL

Now BB, it is about buying something he wants and he sounds like he has good sense. The was a great book out years ago called the millionaire next door (who drove an older model Ford).

J'aime La France.

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2012, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Now BB, it is about buying something he wants and he sounds like he has good sense. The was a great book out years ago called the millionaire next door (who drove an older model Ford).

Yeah ok I guess you're right you can buy what you want.....especially with that kind of scratch.....LOL

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                        OHIO
                        United States
                        Member #5328
                        June 30, 2004
                        1284 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2012, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

i would give 90% of it way...leaving me with  about 30 millon more then enough to live!

have a great winning day!

Norcross, GA
                          United States
                          Member #135754
                          November 28, 2012
                          6 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

#1: Safe Deposit Box

#2: Attorney

#3: Accountant/Financial Advisor

Since I'm stuck for at least 15 days, I'd be forced to work.  Gotta eat and keep the utilities on.

What I'd do with the money:

#1: Pay off all of my debt.  Pay off all of my parent's debt.

#2: Buy a home on a large lot in Georgia with facilities to take care of pets in need of homes, in a good school district.

#3: Buy a home in Arizona for my parents to live in with room for me to visit as much as possible.

#4: I would not PURCHASE other homes (I think - pending financial advisor advice), but rather just stay in hotels.  I'd probably still purchase through discount travel sites, but in 4-5 star facilities.

#5: Hopefully, I will be free to begin my first vacation somewhere WARM (maybe Austrailia) right around the time Winter break begins for my son, then it's back to school.

#6: I once thought I would work if I won "the jackpot".  I've changed my mind.  I will find plenty to do, such as beginning a HUGE vegetable, root and herb garden, growing fruits as the climate allows.  I'd have a Rachael Ray stocked kitchen with every possible ingredient and kitchen tool at my finger tips.  I'd have a healthy home made breakfast ready for my son before I drive him to school and an after school snack ready for my son after I pick him up from school every day.

#7: I'd nap every day as I see fit.

#8: I'd hire someone to my laundry, then give away all of my clothes to Goodwill after laundering keeping only a few items until I lost weight from working out in my new at-home gym (modest).  Then, I'd tear up Banana Republic and American Eagle for new clothes.  Perhaps, I might even begin wearing dresses, but nothing too expensive.  It just doesn't make sense.

#9: Stepping back to my current domicile, I would pick out the few items I actually want, keeping photographs, electronics and a few other select items, then having a rummage "sale" where I essentially give everything away, though I'd likely have someone else manage the event.

#10: Buy new cars, probably Kia.  I like the Optima.  I'd definitely hook my parents up.

#11: When it's a bit warmer, I would plan a family vacation for my relatives in MI, IL & AZ maybe to a dude ranch or something.

#12: Return home, allow my son to finish his schooling, vacationing when possible as plane tickets would be at my whim, though tons of car travel destinations exist that he has yet to see.  Follow him to post-secondary education, traveling, traveling, traveling whenever possible, eating well and living a healthy lifestyle, giving back to the community by volunteering and keeping my pet sanctuary in tact.  I have a good five years to monitor it myself and staff it as appropriate to ensure adequate, top of the line qualified coverage during my travels.

-- I'm sure there would be investments and savings to allow my son and his lineage the best possible future, as well as my younger brother (10 years younger than me, 10 years older than my son) and his lineage.

Top 10 Travel Destinations I'd like to visit:

1: Australia

2: Canary Islands

3: Italy

4: Hawaii

5: Costa Rica

6: Japan

7: Fiji

8: Budapest, Hungary

9: Dubai

10: New York City

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Since I'm stuck for at least 15 days, I'd be forced to work.  Gotta eat and keep the utilities on.

#2: Buy a home on a large lot in Georgia with facilities to take care of pets in need of homes, in a good school district.

#3: Buy a home in Arizona for my parents to live in with room for me to visit as much as possible.

#4: I would not PURCHASE other homes (I think - pending financial advisor advice), but rather just stay in hotels.  I'd probably still purchase through discount travel sites, but in 4-5 star facilities.

#5: Hopefully, I will be free to begin my first vacation somewhere WARM (maybe Austrailia) right around the time Winter break begins for my son, then it's back to school.

#6: I once thought I would work if I won "the jackpot".  I've changed my mind.  I will find plenty to do, such as beginning a HUGE vegetable, root and herb garden, growing fruits as the climate allows.  I'd have a Rachael Ray stocked kitchen with every possible ingredient and kitchen tool at my finger tips.  I'd have a healthy home made breakfast ready for my son before I drive him to school and an after school snack ready for my son after I pick him up from school every day.

#8: I'd hire someone to my laundry, then give away all of my clothes to Goodwill after laundering keeping only a few items until I lost weight from working out in my new at-home gym (modest).  Then, I'd tear up Banana Republic and American Eagle for new clothes.  Perhaps, I might even begin wearing dresses, but nothing too expensive.  It just doesn't make sense.

#9: Stepping back to my current domicile, I would pick out the few items I actually want, keeping photographs, electronics and a few other select items, then having a rummage "sale" where I essentially give everything away, though I'd likely have someone else manage the event.

#10: Buy new cars, probably Kia.  I like the Optima.  I'd definitely hook my parents up.

#11: When it's a bit warmer, I would plan a family vacation for my relatives in MI, IL & AZ maybe to a dude ranch or something.

#12: Return home, allow my son to finish his schooling, vacationing when possible as plane tickets would be at my whim, though tons of car travel destinations exist that he has yet to see.  Follow him to post-secondary education, traveling, traveling, traveling whenever possible, eating well and living a healthy lifestyle, giving back to the community by volunteering and keeping my pet sanctuary in tact.  I have a good five years to monitor it myself and staff it as appropriate to ensure adequate, top of the line qualified coverage during my travels.

-- I'm sure there would be investments and savings to allow my son and his lineage the best possible future, as well as my younger brother (10 years younger than me, 10 years older than my son) and his lineage.

Hi eightthirty welcome to LP!

Just wanted you to know it's almost 8:30 (EST)  Thumbs Up

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19727 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

1. safe Thumbs Up