Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 1:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

So you wake up Thursday morning and realize you are the sole Powerball Winner!!

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 4 years ago by GTR1946.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3093 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2012, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I would sign my name and my mother's name to the ticket and then wait until december third to take it into the lottery office.  Mom and I are going to split this jackpot because we both put are money together to get tickets.  So both tickets are signed and I would do 50% to 50% split on the money.  I could live comfortably off of half the jackpot for the rest of my life.  Some good times ahead if I am the winner!  Good luck to me!-weshar75

US Flag

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
    North Carolina
    United States
    Member #64582
    September 1, 2008
    347 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2012, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Seriously?

First thing is first. Thursday morning get a safe deposit box. Put it in there. Then I'd go to work for the first week while I email some lawyers and maybe take a day off the following week (1st week in dec) to meet with them about my options for accepting the money.Once I figure out the best way to accept the money I would do so as I believe in WA I can accept anonymously so I'd probably do that. Then I'd continue working... Maybe part time.

I'd want to invest half in a a way where I can get some interest to live off of. Then go through and pay off all of my bills. Pay off family and friends home's and hopefully be able to give them some money, pending tax research etc. Of course find a cause or create my own to give to the community or non profit. Nothing in specific in that area rght now. Then buy a new home (design one maybe) Move into it a yearish later where I'd quit my job. Travel and then start my own business or buy a current one. Something to invest to grow the rest of the money while I keep my 50% "live off interest" money.

Realistically? I'd stay up all night wondering what in h3ll I'm going to do and the next day cash it in and forget to do it anonymouslyConfused

WaLottoDude - you totally crack me up!!

My hubby needs to work otherwise he'd go crazy. Me? I would love to sit in the sun and read books all day! Let someone else clean the house! 

Truthfully, after I freak out that I won, I'd freak out about all the problems that can come with it. That's why I'd do an LLC and then after the money is put in it, move it to another LLC and get rid of the first LLC. I read that here in LP and it would really screw up anyone trying to "find" you.

Either way - good luck to the person/s who win!!

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
      The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
      Elgin, IL
      United States
      Member #68867
      January 1, 2009
      1224 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2012, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

You do realize should you give away 100 million YOU would owe an additional $35,000,000.00 in taxes......

Give it away in increments under 20K.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3159 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2012, 1:47 am - IP Logged

take phone off the hook, and stay in bed all day. I'll have some serious thinking. and relaxing to do.

I'm with the chimp. Take a day and do absolutely nothing.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #123290
          February 17, 2012
          3091 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2012, 3:24 am - IP Logged

I want to take at least 2 back to back cruises on that "Oasis of the Sea"...since it would take at least a month for me to get my money split it with my brother and sisters...I'd have plenty of time to make arrangements and quit my job....

Wow!!! (watching YouTube video's) that cruise ship is amazing!!!

Yeah, I'm with you on that, take a back to back cruise, cause it would

take a while to walk and see that whole ship. So many restaraunts, shops and

shows to see!! I'd be on their a whole month!! lol

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6305 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2012, 4:53 am - IP Logged

After I woke up from fainting, I would definitely go on a long vacation...

I Love Pink & Green 1908

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19964 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2012, 6:13 am - IP Logged

NoelI do not know what i would doDisneybut i know what i wouldnt doRudolph

Santa~Merry Christmas to me~Snowman

White Bounce

Let it Snow Snowman

Ga
                United States
                Member #120454
                December 20, 2011
                143 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2012, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

You do realize should you give away 100 million YOU would owe an additional $35,000,000.00 in taxes......

Yes the gift tax. You can form a partnership to prevent that.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4974 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2012, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

I would still go to work the next day (I would not know if I won till the next day and the ticket would still be in my purse).  So I would sign it and hide it till the end of the day in my desk (and tell no one) and make some copies. I would arrange a lunchtime/or late afternoon visit to a nearby major law firm and lay low for about 2 weeks to get things in order.  If I won in an anonymous state, I could stay in my home, etc.  If I won in a public info state, I would also arrange for a place to hide out in the immediate area (and claim in a disguise 2 weeks later...think of Gywneth Paltrow in the movie "Shallow Hal." I am not kidding. ) I would also hire a bodyguard to live in my home while I am away.

J'aime La France.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    910 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2012, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

****UPDATE****

So with the jackpot increase it would be $220,995,000.00 here in FL after all FED taxes if claimed before Dec 31st.

I would give myself approximately 10% fun money... houses...cars...etc...$20,000,000.00

I would give $5,000,000.00 (the current lifetime max on gifts) to family and friends

That would leave me with $195,995,000.00.

Start a business?  Buy a business?  Buy and/or Build homes and or apartments as an investment?

Buy AAA rated Muni Bonds (are they really??) that yield only 1.5% but are safe (are they really???) and tax free....and take home an additional $244,993.75 PER MONTH......

Ah the problems of a multi-millionaire.  I'm ready....BRING IT ON!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2012, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

I will know if I won right after the drawing because I play to check USAMega before going to bed.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Bronx, NY
                        United States
                        Member #101676
                        December 6, 2010
                        8 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2012, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

The first thing I'll do is get my place to live and after everything is done relax...

Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2012, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

I will know if I won right after the drawing because I play to check USAMega before going to bed.

Ditto. But I'd be so antsy that sleep would be impossible.

After dancing around my tiny living room silently screaming and crying, I'd scan the ticket front and back, not signing, and put it in my safe. I'd call my daughter and under threat of death to keep the secret, scream at her. Then I'd check the safe multiple times, opening and closing it to be sure it's still there. Maybe print out the scanned copy, fold and unfold, flatten out, and stare at it. Rinse & repeat. All. Night. Long. Being the accountant that I am, I'd set up a spreadsheet to play with the numbers. I'd definitely go to work in the morning, bags under my eyes & all, only because we have auditors showing up Monday & I have to finish up. Hopefully I can keep the cheshire cat grin off my face. Plus, I need to arrange meetings with the attorneys to start the ball rolling. Two weeks later.. I'm done with my job and collecting the winnings.

Giftwise, I'd not limit myself to the $5m lifetime limit. there's just too much $$ there to not share with kids and siblings. Gift tax for 2012 is only 35%. It'll go up under Obama like the rest of our taxes, and the lifetime exclusion will go down. Whatever way the attorneys set it up to avoid paying taxes, I'm game, even if it means moving $$ offshore. I'd be richer than Romney, and no one will ask for my tax returns!

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                            nc
                            United States
                            Member #99520
                            October 26, 2010
                            375 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2012, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

After picking myself up off the floor several minutes later.....   A beeline would be made for the nearest copier and the safe deposit box.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                              Gurnee, Illinois
                              United States
                              Member #49731
                              February 12, 2007
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2012, 8:11 am - IP Logged

My first order of business would be to quickly get my planning in place this week and claim the prize next week. Then go on a previously planned vacation. Then come back and get a thorough medical checkup and fine tune my diet and exercise program to not sabotage my longevity. All the while I would work about a week every 6 months and travel the rest of that time. No life would be grand!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!