Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you keep your word??

Topic closed. 178 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 2 of 12
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3316 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

assuming it was an honest mistake and you agreed that you where going to share the tickets.

both sign the backs of each ticket and split them.  now you're going to need ea other incase any win.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    42075 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

So you buy some quick picks at the local quick stop or wherever...and as you turn to leave you accidentially bump into someone who has also bought a few quick picks....all the tickets fall to the floor and become mingled...you don't know which are yours and which are theirs so after trying to sort it out, you give up, split the tickets and just tell them if you hit you'll split it with them and same goes for them...so after getting their name and number you leave believing that you'll never hear from them again.....The next day you check your tickets and low and behold you have hit the jackpot!!! Do you keep your word and split with the stranger you made a deal with?? Or run with the money and act like you don't know them......As in the famous words of John Quionnes......What would you do????

wow, Well, I fill out playslips, so I would know which ones were mine, I always tuck them in my lottery envelope before , I walk away.

Maybe the question should be, If you bump into someone, would you take steps to be more careful next time ?

The answer to your original question, H*******llllll  NO! Your clumsiness, my gain.

HyperBe Happy.

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

So you buy some quick picks at the local quick stop or wherever...and as you turn to leave you accidentially bump into someone who has also bought a few quick picks....all the tickets fall to the floor and become mingled...you don't know which are yours and which are theirs so after trying to sort it out, you give up, split the tickets and just tell them if you hit you'll split it with them and same goes for them...so after getting their name and number you leave believing that you'll never hear from them again.....The next day you check your tickets and low and behold you have hit the jackpot!!! Do you keep your word and split with the stranger you made a deal with?? Or run with the money and act like you don't know them......As in the famous words of John Quionnes......What would you do????

First of all, a print out from the clerk would have verified who has the correct tickets. The tickets can be sorted out days later by entering the codes on the tickets. If you don't keep your promise, and you are not in a State where you cannot  remain anonymous when you claim your winnings , the person with whom you bumped into would have a good case in court if the ticket proved to be his or hers.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2012, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

I was in Texas this past week and a lady bought a $20.00 scratch off ticket and left the store.  She came back in moments later and told the clerk I think I won something will you check my ticket.  Well he checked it and counted out $2000.00 to the lady.  I asked him to see the ticket(i'm nosey like that) and he said no it was none of my business.  Now do you honestly think that lady won $2000.00?  So when did a corner store start paying out that kind of money?  Go figure.

Maryland has super retailers that cash prices up to $5000.00.

Your have to have your social security number and ID on hand and fill out the claim forms, but you can get your money right in your local store.

Of course, that W2 form will hit your mailbox  in no time reminding you of your duty to pay your State, Local and Federal taxes on the money you have worked hard to win.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19901 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2012, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

First of all, a print out from the clerk would have verified who has the correct tickets. The tickets can be sorted out days later by entering the codes on the tickets. If you don't keep your promise, and you are not in a State where you cannot  remain anonymous when you claim your winnings , the person with whom you bumped into would have a good case in court if the ticket proved to be his or hers.

There was a similar story in LP news a few months ago about a California woman who was giving away lottery tickets and money at a gas station who claim she gave away a winner to a guy who claimed he brought the tickets himself at about the same time she was doing her thing.  She was going to court to get a share of his winnings but print-out of the store records couldn't convince anyone she had a case.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
            Member #134627
            November 2, 2012
            1004 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2012, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Main question is actually, are you an honest person, and if you made a promise, would you act on it even if big money are involved?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4974 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

wow, Well, I fill out playslips, so I would know which ones were mine, I always tuck them in my lottery envelope before , I walk away.

Maybe the question should be, If you bump into someone, would you take steps to be more careful next time ?

The answer to your original question, H*******llllll  NO! Your clumsiness, my gain.

Another good idea. I need to get a lottery envelope instead of just tossing them in my handbag.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2012, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio the time stamp is to the nearest second so you know which order your own tickets were printed.

Every tickets has the year, month, date, hour, minute and second it was printed with the terminal number.

Tennessee prints the date and that's it.

The Dragon Lady says the rest of it ain't none of our stinkin' business..

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2012, 6:05 pm - IP Logged

There is a time stamp on every ticket.  If I bought mine first it would be easy to figure out.  Common sense.  Re-read my original answer and realize I DID think it through.  So my answer doesn't change.

Time stamp won't really help they can still say it was their ticket...and then and only then would there be need for video tape...

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2012, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

That would work if I said you filled out playslips but first line of the question was....."you bought quick picks"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2012, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3093 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2012, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

That situation would  not happen to me because I buy my own picks on the same ticket that I get QP's on.  Like a two line ticket with one line my pick and one line QP.  I always fill out playslips with my set of numbers then a QP so I don't think their would be a mix up.  Normally because I buy my tickets early for the drawing and no body usually plays until the drawing gets closer.-weshar75

US Flag

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19901 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2012, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it would be dishonest of a lottery winner not sharing his winnings with a stranger even if the stranger thought such an agreement was made. 

People are alway joking with lottery players saying if you win remember me which means absolutely nothing if they really win.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #94283
                            July 17, 2010
                            2284 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

What if you saw the other person on TV after the draw, holding a humongous cardboard check for 200 million?  Would you be thinking the same thing?  "Yes!  My clumsiness, your gain!"

I wouldn't!  I'd be thinking gimme my da*n hundred million!  LOL

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #55889
                              October 23, 2007
                              5761 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2012, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I was in Texas this past week and a lady bought a $20.00 scratch off ticket and left the store.  She came back in moments later and told the clerk I think I won something will you check my ticket.  Well he checked it and counted out $2000.00 to the lady.  I asked him to see the ticket(i'm nosey like that) and he said no it was none of my business.  Now do you honestly think that lady won $2000.00?  So when did a corner store start paying out that kind of money?  Go figure.

In Texas prizes over $599 and up to and including $1,000,000 must be claimed at a claim center or by mail. She may well have gotten ripped off. Or she didn't want to claim it at a claim center so she made a deal with the retailer.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Page 2 of 12