Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you keep your word??

Topic closed. 178 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 3 of 12
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: December 16, 2012, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I don't think it would be dishonest of a lottery winner not sharing his winnings with a stranger even if the stranger thought such an agreement was made. 

People are alway joking with lottery players saying if you win remember me which means absolutely nothing if they really win.

It wouldn't be a thought though.....it said you both AGREED to split the jackpot...in otherwords would you keep your verbal agreement or do you want to battle it out in court...

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4784 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2012, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

It wouldn't be a thought though.....it said you both AGREED to split the jackpot...in otherwords would you keep your verbal agreement or do you want to battle it out in court...

BB:  Many oral/verbal contracts are difficult to enforce.  In this case, there is no consideration for the oral contract so it would not likely be enforced.

J'aime La France.

GEORGIA
      United States
      Member #64238
      August 22, 2008
      9522 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2012, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

In Texas prizes over $599 and up to and including $1,000,000 must be claimed at a claim center or by mail. She may well have gotten ripped off. Or she didn't want to claim it at a claim center so she made a deal with the retailer.

I'm originally from Oklahoma but before Okla. got a lottery we drove over the Texas/Okla. line to play lottery and buy scratch off tickets.  Trust me when I say I know about lottery.  You can tell when a person don't know what they're doing when the are scratching a ticket for the first time. She open herself up when she said check this ticket, I think I may have won something.  I was filling out my play slips when she came back in the store.  When that clerk was counting out her money, her eyes got big like he was giving her a million dollars.  The fact that he wouldn't let me see that ticket, lets me know that that lady won some big money. She was just so happy to get some cash, he probably could have given her 1000.00 and she would have been happy.  I tried my best to stretch my neck to see that ticket but the clerk turned it over and put it on the counter faced down on the other side of him so I couldn't see it.  I know that lady won big money.  We were in Ft. Worth.  My sister kept trying to convince that lady she had to have won more than the clerk gave her but she didn't listen.  I think she thought we were going to try and take it from her or something.  She got the hell out of that store. 

Yesterday is behind us, tomorrow is not promised, today we move forward in JESUS name.

Favorites: 6973 4710 1934 1927 1754 8972 2080 9025 9067 1189 1955 1208 1118 4455 0622 0589 1129 1069 1017 

GEORGIA
        United States
        Member #64238
        August 22, 2008
        9522 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2012, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Before I even left the store, I would look at the times the tickets were bought and I would take my tickets and and give them theirs.  John Quinones not needed.

Buylow I have to agree with you on this one.  The time is on the tickets. 

Yesterday is behind us, tomorrow is not promised, today we move forward in JESUS name.

Favorites: 6973 4710 1934 1927 1754 8972 2080 9025 9067 1189 1955 1208 1118 4455 0622 0589 1129 1069 1017 

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

BB:  Many oral/verbal contracts are difficult to enforce.  In this case, there is no consideration for the oral contract so it would not likely be enforced.

Don't know....Judges can go either way on this one....especially if you got a pretty good lawyer arguing for you...

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4784 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Don't know....Judges can go either way on this one....especially if you got a pretty good lawyer arguing for you...

I'd like to see the case law citations on that issue. I think you are way off base and the only facts that matter are your answers.

J'aime La France.

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2012, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to see the case law citations on that issue. I think you are way off base and the only facts that matter are your answers.

I don't think there is any..... but like I said judges can go either way....A good lawyer can argue anything...and alot of times it holds water...how would you defend a oral agreement anyway??? Say there was none....not going to work....

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2012, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

So you buy some quick picks at the local quick stop or wherever...and as you turn to leave you accidentially bump into someone who has also bought a few quick picks....all the tickets fall to the floor and become mingled...you don't know which are yours and which are theirs so after trying to sort it out, you give up, split the tickets and just tell them if you hit you'll split it with them and same goes for them...so after getting their name and number you leave believing that you'll never hear from them again.....The next day you check your tickets and low and behold you have hit the jackpot!!! Do you keep your word and split with the stranger you made a deal with?? Or run with the money and act like you don't know them......As in the famous words of John Quionnes......What would you do????

I'm so confused .....What?

I Love Pink & Green 1908

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19817 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2012, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

There weren't be a battle in court.  It would be my word against his and I would own the winning ticket.  If strangers could sue jackpot winners for a share of their winnings simply because they crossed paths in the store where the ticket was sold, the courts would be full of such cases.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                    Winning makes me smile.
                    bel air maryland
                    United States
                    Member #90251
                    April 24, 2010
                    4853 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2012, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

So you buy some quick picks at the local quick stop or wherever...and as you turn to leave you accidentially bump into someone who has also bought a few quick picks....all the tickets fall to the floor and become mingled...you don't know which are yours and which are theirs so after trying to sort it out, you give up, split the tickets and just tell them if you hit you'll split it with them and same goes for them...so after getting their name and number you leave believing that you'll never hear from them again.....The next day you check your tickets and low and behold you have hit the jackpot!!! Do you keep your word and split with the stranger you made a deal with?? Or run with the money and act like you don't know them......As in the famous words of John Quionnes......What would you do????

What if it was the other way around? Suppose the other guy had the winning ticket. How would YOU prove there was an

agreement to split the winnings?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2012, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

There weren't be a battle in court.  It would be my word against his and I would own the winning ticket.  If strangers could sue jackpot winners for a share of their winnings simply because they crossed paths in the store where the ticket was sold, the courts would be full of such cases.

It may not be...but word against word...i mean Americans sue for the least little thing...what makes you think they would take a shot when there is millions on the table...win or lose they're gonna take a shot...but we've gotten off track...IF you made the VERBAL AGREEMENT WOULD YOU STICK BY IT AND........KEEP YOUR WORD??????????

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19817 Posts
                        Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:07 am - IP Logged

It may not be...but word against word...i mean Americans sue for the least little thing...what makes you think they would take a shot when there is millions on the table...win or lose they're gonna take a shot...but we've gotten off track...IF you made the VERBAL AGREEMENT WOULD YOU STICK BY IT AND........KEEP YOUR WORD??????????

In a word  h*ll "NO".  No way I would give a stranger who never did anything for me half my lottery winnings because of what I said or he thought I said when our path crossed.  And I wouldn't expect a stranger to do any different by me.

Even if he produced a written agreement, I would sue him for fraud.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7296 Posts
                          Posted: December 17, 2012, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Think about it, especially with the $40 million plus after tax winners. A guy goes to court and tells the judge there was verbal agreement to split the winnings and standing behind him are 25 other people saying the same thing.

You're scenario reminds me of the old Reese's Peanut butter Cup commercials.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: December 17, 2012, 1:58 am - IP Logged

I would trust my word but not theirs.

As someone said they would just compare times, but if it was absolutely impossible to tell who owned which ones... I'd have a contract written out there and then in front of the cameras and the workers with both of us signing the paper. I think with that I'd have a valid case against them if they didn't share.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #92330
                              June 5, 2010
                              887 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2012, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I was in Texas this past week and a lady bought a $20.00 scratch off ticket and left the store.  She came back in moments later and told the clerk I think I won something will you check my ticket.  Well he checked it and counted out $2000.00 to the lady.  I asked him to see the ticket(i'm nosey like that) and he said no it was none of my business.  Now do you honestly think that lady won $2000.00?  So when did a corner store start paying out that kind of money?  Go figure.

I've been in a store in Texas that wouldn't pay anything over $35. You had to go elsewhere or accept a money order. Most would do up to $50 for me and rarely any $100.

I'd email the TLC about it and include the store # (use the scratch-off and store locater link on the txlottery.org site). It can't hurt anything and it's their job to check into such things. Hopefully you can remember the general area you were at and the name of the ticket.

EDIT: I just checked the $20 tickets active in Texas and none pay out $2,000...

Page 3 of 12