Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Welfare lottery ban

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2013, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

My state is now trying to stop people who are on welfare from buying lottery tickets...before you ask how...they want the clerks to ask when the people check out or when they use an EBT card to deny them the tickets when they check out... Anyways I thought it was interesting and that I'd share it with you all...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2013, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

If they have money for lottery tickets we shouldn't have to be feeding them.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #94283
      July 17, 2010
      2284 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2013, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Other states have suggested laws that when you go in to cash one, if the lottery discovers during the background check that you are receiving aid, your claim would be denied.

Of course, that won't stop them from buying lottery, it would just create ripe pickin's for the scammer retailers who will cash them and keep 25% or more.

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
        Member #133462
        September 30, 2012
        5946 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2013, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

During my college years, I clerked at a Circle K on Elm's Hill Pike in Nashville. There was no Powerball then but you had a few of them who would wander into the store and buy items at 5cents to build cash for cigarettes. As soon as I caught on to the trend I would force them to use their cash from the previous transactions and they would get angry. Sometimes they stormed out of the store threatening to report me. I just sang my country songs from 95.5FM. I especially like the top 5 at 5 - lol.

"Everything works  ONCE!"

Los Angeles, CA
          United States
          Member #138363
          January 25, 2013
          6 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2013, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

How bout make it so if they win a certain amount they have to pay back the welfare they've received.

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2013, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

How bout make it so if they win a certain amount they have to pay back the welfare they've received.

Depends what game. if it's a p-3 game and they win 80 bucks or 500 for a straight, do they take all of it cause the person owes 3 grand? or do they take half? The people wouldn't play if those were the options.

On the other hand, JP wins would still be good after what they owed, but that wouldn't work either because 99% don't win the JP in their lifetime,e so there would be no incentive for the officials to get any money back, unless they took some of the lower tier prizes. The logistics would be a nightmare. lol

Vaughan
              Canada
              Member #137822
              January 12, 2013
              139 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2013, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:09 am - IP Logged

Depends what game. if it's a p-3 game and they win 80 bucks or 500 for a straight, do they take all of it cause the person owes 3 grand? or do they take half? The people wouldn't play if those were the options.

On the other hand, JP wins would still be good after what they owed, but that wouldn't work either because 99% don't win the JP in their lifetime,e so there would be no incentive for the officials to get any money back, unless they took some of the lower tier prizes. The logistics would be a nightmare. lol

The welfare people don't want to interfere with needy people winning a jackpot, nor do they want their money back.  What they want is for needy people to quit wasting their money playing the lottery, because the odds are against them ever winning more than they spend over the long run.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:12 am - IP Logged

My state is now trying to stop people who are on welfare from buying lottery tickets...before you ask how...they want the clerks to ask when the people check out or when they use an EBT card to deny them the tickets when they check out... Anyways I thought it was interesting and that I'd share it with you all...

I didn't realize buying lottery tickets with EBT cards was currently allowed.  Blocking those sales I can understand, but I'm fairly certain none of us here would appreciate it if the clerks started asking us if we were on welfare just because they're trying to weed those people out.

Patriot

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5121 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:13 am - IP Logged

B2B:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>give our O'Bama>>>>ah chance!!!!!!

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7313 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:45 am - IP Logged

"they want the clerks to ask when the people check out"

The clerks have a tough enough job without adding welfare police to it. I've never had an EBT card so I don't know what they can and can't buy with one. But I know people who get welfare and SSI similar money cards and once a month an amount of money is added to it. These cards are like any other ATM card; pin number and all.

"or when they use an EBT card to deny them the tickets when they check out"

I can understand not allowing them to buy anything but food products on the EBT food stamps card, but whatever else they buy with cash shouldn't be up to a store clerk. Does your state have all their other problems solved and is this the last one on the bucket list?

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:54 am - IP Logged

With not allowing them to buy tickets if they have an EBT card, those people will simply go to another store to only buy tickets, not letting it be known they have EBT. I could see this as wrong because they could have gotten that dollar or two from asking for change from people, thus the money they are using to buy tickets has nothing to do with the welfare system.

With not allowing them to redeem winnings, this allows middle-men to exploit those people. In the end this would help neither the state nor the welfare recipient. The same goes for if the state took money from winnings to those on welfare. In either system it will be the middle-men who walk away ahead.

I think states need to worry more about EBT going to waste in terms of people buying non-food related items and those who sell their food stamps. In the first scenario, small store owners will ring up $5.00 worth of food to someone who wants to buy a pack of cigarettes. In the second scenario, people will talk to someone who will give the EBT owner a list of items and then pay out half of what the total was. So EBT owner goes into somehwere like Ralph's, buys grocieries totalling $180 and the other person will pay out $90 (of course the ratio varies, so sometimes they'd pay out $120, just depends on how desparate the EBT owner is).

Through volunteering and simple random talks with people with EBT I've met numerous amounts of people who do those things above. And none of them buy lottery, or at least claim to not, but I think they'd fess up on that if they're willing to spill the beans on their EBT usage. NY Post also had numerous articles covering high EBT usage at bodegas, where it was likely they were trading cash for food stamps as well as high EBT-ATM usage at strip clubs and liquor stores. Most of those latter usages are people taking out money at those places to use in that place, so instead of using the money the state gives them on housing or utilities, it goes to alcohol and strippers. I think California made it so EBT can't be used in certain places, which seems is something New York should follow suit on.

I think welfare recipients shouldn't be allowed to use the money to buy lottery, but I also think the states have bigger worries than trying to stop them from getting tickets. Much more money is used towards drugs, alcohol and sex as well as is simply squandered away to people taking advantage of welfare recipients.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2013, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Saw this on CNN. They can't prove where the $ came from for ticket purchases. Anyways if they win the state won't have to pay anymore.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
                            Nutley, New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #131058
                            August 1, 2012
                            875 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2013, 2:41 am - IP Logged

end welfare. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about people abusing it. Down on your luck and have no money? Move in with a relative until you get back on your feet. People should take care of their own flesh and blood and not rely on the government.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Good for your state.....Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908