Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:08 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Welfare lottery ban

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6290 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:12 am - IP Logged

I Agree! or housing them or paying for their cell phones.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:34 am - IP Logged

Other states have suggested laws that when you go in to cash one, if the lottery discovers during the background check that you are receiving aid, your claim would be denied.

Of course, that won't stop them from buying lottery, it would just create ripe pickin's for the scammer retailers who will cash them and keep 25% or more.

I don't think that they should deny the claim but set up some payback system so the state can recoup some of that money...Like anything $600 and up take like I dont know 40%...

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:38 am - IP Logged

I didn't realize buying lottery tickets with EBT cards was currently allowed.  Blocking those sales I can understand, but I'm fairly certain none of us here would appreciate it if the clerks started asking us if we were on welfare just because they're trying to weed those people out.

You can't......... EBT is for food only but some people make money from jobs, SSI, etc...Now you say well if they're getting money they don't need to be on food stamps....again if you don't make enough you got so many kids....yadda yadda yadda....

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:48 am - IP Logged

"they want the clerks to ask when the people check out"

The clerks have a tough enough job without adding welfare police to it. I've never had an EBT card so I don't know what they can and can't buy with one. But I know people who get welfare and SSI similar money cards and once a month an amount of money is added to it. These cards are like any other ATM card; pin number and all.

"or when they use an EBT card to deny them the tickets when they check out"

I can understand not allowing them to buy anything but food products on the EBT food stamps card, but whatever else they buy with cash shouldn't be up to a store clerk. Does your state have all their other problems solved and is this the last one on the bucket list?

LOL Stack and ditto.... but Im thinking since the NC's money stream is streaming pretty thin...especially the had to put a morotorium on annexing neighborhoods into the larger cities to raise more tax money...especially in my city...whenever the city was low on tax cash they annex a neighborhood...there is no benefit here for being in the city.....other than the city collecting more property tax which to me is self-serving...they hook you up to city water and pick up your garbage...that's it...oh yeah they also saddle you with a $5000 and up bill for hooking you up to city water...and since the city owns the local power/water company....they will gladly chop that $5000 up and stick a extra payment to you every month...everyone here hates being annexed....but they act like that's the only way to get money here...instead of stop taxing the heck out of industry so maybe just maybe we can get some jobs here....other than working at Ft. Bragg, Walmart distribution, or Kelly Springfield....that's pretty much the industry we have left in good ole Fayetteville...

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:55 am - IP Logged

If the people buying the lottery tickets are with eight or more kids, they are probably on welfare.

Instead of letting them buy lottery tickets, offer them free state provided condoms.  Wink

United States
            Member #130815
            July 25, 2012
            1636 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2013, 9:02 am - IP Logged

If the people buying the lottery tickets are with eight or more kids, they are probably on welfare.

Instead of letting them buy lottery tickets, offer them free state provided condoms.  Wink

LOL condoms are only good if you....... A. use them

B. they don't break

C.  the ACLU isnt suing for forced contrception

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2013, 9:08 am - IP Logged

LOL condoms are only good if you....... A. use them

B. they don't break

C.  the ACLU isnt suing for forced contrception

If the welfare people don't use or break them, then the lottery tickets should be issued free of charge, as they will need all the luck they can get.

Lep

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2013, 9:17 am - IP Logged

How bout make it so if they win a certain amount they have to pay back the welfare they've received.

Exactly what I was thinking. They check for back taxes and child support so they can be paid back....

Why not welfare and legal immigration status?

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                  nc
                  United States
                  Member #99520
                  October 26, 2010
                  375 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2013, 9:21 am - IP Logged

How bout make it so if they win a certain amount they have to pay back the welfare they've received.

kentucky is a state that used to do this for the larger wins.   Not sure if they still do.

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                    Member #134627
                    November 2, 2012
                    1001 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2013, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Who got those people into welfare position in a first place? Government and all those gambling games, and all the jobs gone abroad! When welfare people try to win out of desperation, o, now it's f-----g great time to stop them!

May be social services have to wring their brain waves a bit harder and come up with more enlightening solution.
                    Don't forget, people in any position in life should be treated with respect and swayed towards honorable ways, not treated like a cattle.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2013, 10:23 am - IP Logged

The government would be BETTER served by banning criminals from playing the lottery.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2013, 11:52 am - IP Logged

end welfare. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about people abusing it. Down on your luck and have no money? Move in with a relative until you get back on your feet. People should take care of their own flesh and blood and not rely on the government.

Down on your luck and have no money? Move in with a relative until you get back on your feet.

I'm afraid the murder rates would skyrocket.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2013, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't think that they should deny the claim but set up some payback system so the state can recoup some of that money...Like anything $600 and up take like I dont know 40%...

Perhaps they could take an extra 40% from ALL big winners and give welfare recipients an increase?

United States
                            Member #138296
                            January 24, 2013
                            28 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Buying lottery or tobacco or alcohol with EBT is NOT allowed in any state.

But, for big jackpot winners on welfare, yes, going back 10 years money is deducted from winnings. Not fair, but keeps welfare cases from playing anything but MM, PB, and low prizes like 3 numbers for $40-$500

Anything above $601 is reported to IRS, and taxes are taken out; thus, playing 4 numbers for $2500 is not worth it.

Child support, and back taxes are taken out also. So, if you win $35,000 on NY Take5, - taxes, -welfare, -tickets, -tuition, -section8 = about $100. Have fun playing.

BTW, most people who play are poor and immigrants, as the rich dont need an extra $1m, or even $50k.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: January 26, 2013, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

If they have money for lottery tickets we shouldn't have to be feeding them.

Lol ridge I forgot to attach your post.....Bash

I Love Pink & Green 1908