Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Welfare lottery ban

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6305 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2013, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

How bout make it so if they win a certain amount they have to pay back the welfare they've received.

Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6305 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2013, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

end welfare. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about people abusing it. Down on your luck and have no money? Move in with a relative until you get back on your feet. People should take care of their own flesh and blood and not rely on the government.

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

America seems to be turning into a welfare state.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2013, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

end welfare. That way, we wouldn't have to worry about people abusing it. Down on your luck and have no money? Move in with a relative until you get back on your feet. People should take care of their own flesh and blood and not rely on the government.

America seems to be turning into a welfare state.

LAKE HAVASU AZ
          United States
          Member #44729
          August 8, 2006
          446 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2013, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

If they have money for lottery tickets we shouldn't have to be feeding them.

AGREE....AGREE

some day....some day

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2013, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't think that they should deny the claim but set up some payback system so the state can recoup some of that money...Like anything $600 and up take like I dont know 40%...

Here's that clue you need. If your income comes from me, and I give it to you because you said you need it for essential living expenses and then it turns out that you had enough to buy a lottery ticket you didn't really need the money. That means you bought the ticket with my money, so it's my ticket.

If my ticket is a wininng ticket the prize is mine. All of it.

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
              Member #134627
              November 2, 2012
              1004 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2013, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

If even one clerk ever askes me that stupid question, I will never again buy lottery tickets. There was time when at Wall Mart ( may be still) they sked people to show their ID if they were buying an aerosol paint. They asked me once, I complained about it, and, beleave me, Wall Mart fell off my popularity list sharply.

I don't understand, why clerks can be even allowed to ask questions pertaining to someone's finances, isn't it a private matter? Should every one of us  bring proofs of our financial state to any dinky gas station, so little cheating clerk can approvingly node his head, or scoldingly raise his eyebrow? That's a shame!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

If even one clerk ever askes me that stupid question, I will never again buy lottery tickets. There was time when at Wall Mart ( may be still) they sked people to show their ID if they were buying an aerosol paint. They asked me once, I complained about it, and, beleave me, Wall Mart fell off my popularity list sharply.

I don't understand, why clerks can be even allowed to ask questions pertaining to someone's finances, isn't it a private matter? Should every one of us  bring proofs of our financial state to any dinky gas station, so little cheating clerk can approvingly node his head, or scoldingly raise his eyebrow? That's a shame!

One of the smoke shops I used to buy a ticket from a couple times a week started asking me if I had money to pay for it before they'd print it out.  I quit going there just for that -- it's been 6 - 8 months since I set foot in there even though I walk by several times a week.  If they asked if I filed bankruptcy or received welfare?  I'd never even think about going back.  And if it was state law every retailer had to ask?  I'd buy from the vending machines, maybe.  It  might make me so mad I'd give up on lottery altogether.

If they want to enforce something like that, it needs to be when they're paying out on a ticket.  They already check for child support and other financial stuff, so it would be okay with me if the lottery security wanted to check welfare roles and bankruptcy court too, and deny a payout if it is determined that person is disqualified.  But no way do I want clerks challenging me on my financial status.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

LOL Stack and ditto.... but Im thinking since the NC's money stream is streaming pretty thin...especially the had to put a morotorium on annexing neighborhoods into the larger cities to raise more tax money...especially in my city...whenever the city was low on tax cash they annex a neighborhood...there is no benefit here for being in the city.....other than the city collecting more property tax which to me is self-serving...they hook you up to city water and pick up your garbage...that's it...oh yeah they also saddle you with a $5000 and up bill for hooking you up to city water...and since the city owns the local power/water company....they will gladly chop that $5000 up and stick a extra payment to you every month...everyone here hates being annexed....but they act like that's the only way to get money here...instead of stop taxing the heck out of industry so maybe just maybe we can get some jobs here....other than working at Ft. Bragg, Walmart distribution, or Kelly Springfield....that's pretty much the industry we have left in good ole Fayetteville...

It's the same as using their EBT card to buy groceries and then purchase cigarettes with cash. The real problem with this type of legislation is placing the penalty on the store clerks forcing them to ask all their customers if they are on welfare or in bankruptcy. Unless you can prove to a clerk you're not on welfare or in bankruptcy, they probably won't sell you a ticket.

While the these clerks are embarrassing all the hard working tax paying players, the people on welfare will be using the vending machines.

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Now Im not going to stop playing the lottery because somone asks me if Im on welfare...it's a legal game and all it takes a buck or two to win....they cant prove where I got the money and Im not going to either...Also I just thought of something...What if the person on welfare bought their tickets first...then bought groceries with their EBT card...how can they stop that...you know people always find a way to get around something..

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2013, 12:25 am - IP Logged

When they sign up for food stamps and welfare and all the other free stuff, they should make them sign a contract that they will never play the lottery or benefit from the lottery in anyway while they are receiving benefits from the taxpayers or for 2 years after benefits stop. And any large jackpots won after that go to paying back any benefits ever received before they get what's left.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: January 27, 2013, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Now Im not going to stop playing the lottery because somone asks me if Im on welfare...it's a legal game and all it takes a buck or two to win....they cant prove where I got the money and Im not going to either...Also I just thought of something...What if the person on welfare bought their tickets first...then bought groceries with their EBT card...how can they stop that...you know people always find a way to get around something..

It's possible to have an income, have no taxes withheld, and still get a check from the IRS. How about banning all the people using the Earned Income Credit deduction?

I'm not 100% sure but I believe some people get EBT cards because of their low income like our seniors drawing small regular SS checks. If this is true, this bill is basically trying to ban poor people from playing the lottery.

United States
                          Member #130815
                          July 25, 2012
                          1636 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2013, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Here's that clue you need. If your income comes from me, and I give it to you because you said you need it for essential living expenses and then it turns out that you had enough to buy a lottery ticket you didn't really need the money. That means you bought the ticket with my money, so it's my ticket.

If my ticket is a wininng ticket the prize is mine. All of it.

LOL try that one in court.......

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                            Member #134627
                            November 2, 2012
                            1004 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2013, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Applying effort to stop poor people from playing lottery... If the same effort was placed upon preventing people from getting poor, I'd applaud. Most likely those people gotten into habit of buying lottery prior to becoming poor. And as I said before, general lottery playing population becomes poorer every year. They as a group loose more, about 10% of their income every year, it is a lot more than inflation,  3%. So 10% add 3%= whooping 13% per year, impoverishment happens very fast over the years! WElcome to the world of homeless. In this light preventing poor people from playing lottery makes sense, although the measure is a bit too little, too late. The prevention should start earlier, when they are not poor yet. Thus, it has to be that only middle class and reach play lottery, or states have to abandon lottery and gambling completely! Again, as I said before, when the top sees how to rip the enormous buck, they will not stop at anything, including destroying their own country's population. So, folks, don't worry, they will not abandon lottery. Although, if they were smarter, they'd rely on creation of International lotteries, at least sparing a bit their own folk.

Globally, lottery and gambling is a bitch of the present time, it is silent war against simple people. No matter how well people do predictions, how much they divide the win among the winners, they have every year diminishing finances. Few that won big do not make weather, because their win came from everyone else's holly pocket. It is even shameful for the conscientious person to win big and keep it to themselves. I believe they should greatly invest into helping others.

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: January 28, 2013, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Applying effort to stop poor people from playing lottery... If the same effort was placed upon preventing people from getting poor, I'd applaud. Most likely those people gotten into habit of buying lottery prior to becoming poor. And as I said before, general lottery playing population becomes poorer every year. They as a group loose more, about 10% of their income every year, it is a lot more than inflation,  3%. So 10% add 3%= whooping 13% per year, impoverishment happens very fast over the years! WElcome to the world of homeless. In this light preventing poor people from playing lottery makes sense, although the measure is a bit too little, too late. The prevention should start earlier, when they are not poor yet. Thus, it has to be that only middle class and reach play lottery, or states have to abandon lottery and gambling completely! Again, as I said before, when the top sees how to rip the enormous buck, they will not stop at anything, including destroying their own country's population. So, folks, don't worry, they will not abandon lottery. Although, if they were smarter, they'd rely on creation of International lotteries, at least sparing a bit their own folk.

Globally, lottery and gambling is a bitch of the present time, it is silent war against simple people. No matter how well people do predictions, how much they divide the win among the winners, they have every year diminishing finances. Few that won big do not make weather, because their win came from everyone else's holly pocket. It is even shameful for the conscientious person to win big and keep it to themselves. I believe they should greatly invest into helping others.

Yeah what else can you spend a dollar on........or two now....... and hope and dream to get a return in the millions of dollars.....