Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Welfare lottery ban

Topic closed. 72 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #85037
January 7, 2010
253 Posts
Posted: January 28, 2013, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Saw this on CNN. They can't prove where the $ came from for ticket purchases. Anyways if they win the state won't have to pay anymore.

My thoughts exactly.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
    Joplin MO
    United States
    Member #138489
    January 28, 2013
    190 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2013, 12:59 am - IP Logged

If they have money for lottery tickets we shouldn't have to be feeding them.

EXACTLY !!!

United States
      Member #138498
      January 29, 2013
      10 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2013, 2:58 am - IP Logged

I remember years ago when I lived in Ohio a man won a nice prize and the state held the payment till they totaled up how much he had gotten in state assistance for welfare over the years.  he insisted he wasn't going to pay back a dime, but he had no choice.  The state took out as much as they had paid him for the past 10 or 20 years.  I think it's only right.

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2013, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Exactly what I was thinking. They check for back taxes and child support so they can be paid back....

Why not welfare and legal immigration status?

Well now just because your not a citizen I dont think that eliminates you from winning...not just a visitor but an illegal can win the jackpot too...I think I heard that somewhere

Milwaukee, WI
          United States
          Member #3131
          December 27, 2003
          665 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2013, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

The law is brought by the SAME people complaining about government runing people lives., then THEY do the SAME thing.

Joplin MO
            United States
            Member #138489
            January 28, 2013
            190 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2013, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

I remember years ago when I lived in Ohio a man won a nice prize and the state held the payment till they totaled up how much he had gotten in state assistance for welfare over the years.  he insisted he wasn't going to pay back a dime, but he had no choice.  The state took out as much as they had paid him for the past 10 or 20 years.  I think it's only right.

Perfect!  That's the way it should be.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3159 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Perfect!  That's the way it should be.

Yes & No. Someone that worked for 30yrs, lost their job, and suddenly found themselves on welfare should'nt be punished if they win. That's alot of taxes they paid over the years into the system.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                NY
                United States
                Member #121961
                January 21, 2012
                3159 Posts
                Posted: January 29, 2013, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

If even one clerk ever askes me that stupid question, I will never again buy lottery tickets. There was time when at Wall Mart ( may be still) they sked people to show their ID if they were buying an aerosol paint. They asked me once, I complained about it, and, beleave me, Wall Mart fell off my popularity list sharply.

I don't understand, why clerks can be even allowed to ask questions pertaining to someone's finances, isn't it a private matter? Should every one of us  bring proofs of our financial state to any dinky gas station, so little cheating clerk can approvingly node his head, or scoldingly raise his eyebrow? That's a shame!

The ID for paint made sense. Kids looked like Circus clowns with Gold and Red rings around their mouths, after they huffed the stuff.

Columbia, SC
                  United States
                  Member #135285
                  November 21, 2012
                  584 Posts
                  Posted: January 29, 2013, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

The ID for paint made sense. Kids looked like Circus clowns with Gold and Red rings around their mouths, after they huffed the stuff.

Again...If welfare recipients are not going to be allowed to purchase lottery tickets, they should not be allowed to purchase alcohol or cigarettes! I just do not see how they can enforce such a law!  I don't see how clerks can legally ask customers if they are on welfare. Even if they are on welfare, how can they prove they're not actually buying tickets for someone else? I think the ONLY way to fix this is will be that they will continue to be allowed to purchase lottery tickets, but if they win, they do not get the money. Although this will not stop them from spending "our" money on lottery tickets, perhaps it might help lose some of the temptation felt on lottery spending....One downside to this will be drop in lottery sales...with drops in lottery sales, we might be looking at smaller and fewer wins....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Joplin MO
                    United States
                    Member #138489
                    January 28, 2013
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2013, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Yes & No. Someone that worked for 30yrs, lost their job, and suddenly found themselves on welfare should'nt be punished if they win. That's alot of taxes they paid over the years into the system.

I can see your point.  However, in this case, someone that has worked for 30 years obviously has good work ethics, and probably would not be on welfare for very long.  Aside from the original thought that welfare money should not be used for lotteries in the first place, it seems only fair that they (or anybody) should be willing to pay back the government welfare money that they were "loaned" ... which in the case of a person like this, probably wouldn't even be that much.

Joplin MO
                      United States
                      Member #138489
                      January 28, 2013
                      190 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2013, 10:13 am - IP Logged

By the way, RedStang, I love your "Get rich - Die broke - and make your last check bounce" signature block!

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                        Member #134627
                        November 2, 2012
                        1004 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2013, 11:03 am - IP Logged

At work, would  people on welfare be excluded from joining lottery pools? Hell, they are alreday on a verge of being excluded from voting, might as well make their own state and live by their own rules. When  people invent such principle as "Tolerance", they quickly invent another one "Zero Tolerance".

Joplin MO
                          United States
                          Member #138489
                          January 28, 2013
                          190 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2013, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I can also see the thinking of a person in this situation...  "There are so many people getting a free ride from the government ... and I've put so much into it by actually working for 30 years ... why shouldn't I be able to get my cut without having to worry about paying it back".

Joplin MO
                            United States
                            Member #138489
                            January 28, 2013
                            190 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2013, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

At work, would  people on welfare be excluded from joining lottery pools? Hell, they are alreday on a verge of being excluded from voting, might as well make their own state and live by their own rules. When  people invent such principle as "Tolerance", they quickly invent another one "Zero Tolerance".

Hmm...  I didn't even think of those that are working, but getting some sort of supplement.  Good question!

JMBrown's avatar - hiro bird2_neg.jpg
                              georgia
                              United States
                              Member #88939
                              March 26, 2010
                              19 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

To everyone for no lottery tickets while on welfare remember God doesnt like for us to gamble period but I do so why should I speak against others that do remember this we are breaking God's rule look in the mirror at yourself before you speak of others.It is not meant for everyone in this great world we live in to be able to afford the finer things in life but  remember this you will  not always be high man on the totom pole and the low man on the totom pole will not remain there. You do not know where you will  in life from day to day so think about what you say. You all are not the only ones who has put money into this system maybe their relatives have put just as much into the system as we have.  What you all need to do is pray that those who abuse the system will wake up and say God help me to do better in life