Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Keep working vs. permenant vacation

Topic closed. 67 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3047 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I would love to travel the u.s. this summer when the weather is nice and if I had a powerball jackpot under my belt I think I would.  My mother has a brother in spain so I would send her their for the summer so she could catch up on old times.  But I would like to see crater lake and the grand canyon and the red woods.  Plus the statue of liberty and yosemite national park because we never got to do that as kids because we were on a limited budget.  So if I had the money I would travel the u.s. for fun.  I would be fantastic!-weshar75

US Flag

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I would love to travel the u.s. this summer when the weather is nice and if I had a powerball jackpot under my belt I think I would.  My mother has a brother in spain so I would send her their for the summer so she could catch up on old times.  But I would like to see crater lake and the grand canyon and the red woods.  Plus the statue of liberty and yosemite national park because we never got to do that as kids because we were on a limited budget.  So if I had the money I would travel the u.s. for fun.  I would be fantastic!-weshar75

US Flag

I hope you can achieve one of your goals each year even if you don't win the lottery. Ive been to the Grand Canyon a few times and the small plane sight seeing tour is the best. It only takes about 45 minutes to see everything from a plane, but its worth the trip.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40377 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2013, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

lol  That will be ONLY one of my jobs, even after a lottery win. I cannot imagine dropping my next book (in progress) and walking away....someone would have to pry it with a crowbar from my hand.

Thats awesome when you enjoy what you do, not like work at all.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2013, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

lol  That will be ONLY one of my jobs, even after a lottery win. I cannot imagine dropping my next book (in progress) and walking away....someone would have to pry it with a crowbar from my hand.

I wouldn't use a crowbar.

I'd just tickle ya til ya drop it.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4786 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2013, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't use a crowbar.

I'd just tickle ya til ya drop it.

Ha Ha. It is far from finished so it is not worth much at this point.

J'aime La France.

Columbia, SC
            United States
            Member #135285
            November 21, 2012
            584 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2013, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Deciding to quit work would depend on the amount of money I won. The Palmetto Cash Five lottery, which is one I play on a more regular basis has a jackpot of $500,000.00 at most. (The powerup option for this lottery ranges from 2x to 5x on a jackpot of 100,000.00). Even though $500,000.00 is a nice amount, it's not enough (to me) to quit my job. I happen to like what I do, but if I even win enough money that me feel I was set for life (Powerball), I'd give a two week notice the very next day. I'd love to spend time finishing projects around the home, spend more time with friends and family, and TRAVEL!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10348 Posts
              Posted: February 16, 2013, 12:25 am - IP Logged

yea no kidding....the unpaid intern.  Go get us coffee please.

The point of the not get paid part was that the only difference betwen a rut and a grave is the depth, so if you're not doing something you'd do just for enjoyment get into a field that you would enjoy.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2013, 12:52 am - IP Logged

Now Mr. Maringo, if one competed against a lot of other people to get a job and you worked your way up and your name is on a special project or matter (it is your "baby"), I don't see why anyone would be expected to give up their job for others if they won the lottery. It is not that easy to hand over your "baby" to anyone and just leave it.

Spending money 24/7 is not going to fulfill ones intellectual needs. One needs to exercise their mind as well. I commend the winner for staying to at least finish out his project. He probably has institutional knowledege of the project that no one else has, so he is doing the unselfish thing.

Local schools, churches, homeless shelters, hospitals and public parks always need volunteers. Not challenging enough? there are many causes that need to be addressed such as teaching financial literacy to the laymen, counselling of the youth on issues affecting them or joining environmental protection pressure groups. You see there are many things to do out there that the corporate world does not address. I am not saying abruptly abandoning and thereby jeopardizing a project; just easing off it gently but surely.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2013, 1:23 am - IP Logged

The only "job" I'd have is volunteering. The major reason for not wanting a job would be so I could be free and not tied down to doing what someone wants, when they want. Imagine, you decide randomly you want to take a vacation somewhere. If you're still working, it could be weeks before you're able to actually go. Now imagine you've quit that job. You can pack your suitcase right away and go on down to the airport.

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2013, 7:32 am - IP Logged

The only "job" I'd have is volunteering. The major reason for not wanting a job would be so I could be free and not tied down to doing what someone wants, when they want. Imagine, you decide randomly you want to take a vacation somewhere. If you're still working, it could be weeks before you're able to actually go. Now imagine you've quit that job. You can pack your suitcase right away and go on down to the airport.

Yeah thats true...imagine if  your boss told you that you couldnt do something or to do something that you really didnt want to do...everytime that happened you'd be like Im so out of here....It would be a challenge to stick around when you know you didnt have to.

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4786 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2013, 7:49 am - IP Logged

The point of the not get paid part was that the only difference betwen a rut and a grave is the depth, so if you're not doing something you'd do just for enjoyment get into a field that you would enjoy.

Noooooooo.....Volunteer work is one thing.  But if you have a talent and you value yourself , being paid for your efforts is a part of normal self esteem.

J'aime La France.

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4786 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2013, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Local schools, churches, homeless shelters, hospitals and public parks always need volunteers. Not challenging enough? there are many causes that need to be addressed such as teaching financial literacy to the laymen, counselling of the youth on issues affecting them or joining environmental protection pressure groups. You see there are many things to do out there that the corporate world does not address. I am not saying abruptly abandoning and thereby jeopardizing a project; just easing off it gently but surely.

I think we are in agreement. The contract is in the mail...lol

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2013, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Roger that, I'm a spur of the moment guy my ownself.

The little woman never knows when I'll walk in the door and say "Commence to packin', Sugarbritches, we're headed fer parts unknown and we'll be leavin' in one hour."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2013, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Noooooooo.....Volunteer work is one thing.  But if you have a talent and you value yourself , being paid for your efforts is a part of normal self esteem.

Artist,

The point isn't volunteer work at all. Consider 'doing it for no pay' as an idiom, an expression. After he retired from baseball Mickey Mantle said, "I would never have told them that I loved this game so much I would have played for nothing". Of course he didn't mean that literally, it's just an expression of exaggeration to make a point.

Many define financial freedom as having enough money to free you up to do what you want to do whenever you want to do it. Keeping a job doesn't exactly allow that.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                              Bay Area - California
                              United States
                              Member #136477
                              December 12, 2012
                              4106 Posts
                              Posted: February 18, 2013, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I know one thing for certain, lm dropping everything right there.   If lm driving on interstate 880  in my Silverado and l hear l won that kind of  scratch- lm pulling over on the side and walking. Let the CHP impound my beast . One has to do at least one crazy thing in life.
                              * Working for someone from that point on?- surely you jest !