Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Keep working vs. permenant vacation

Topic closed. 67 replies. Last post 4 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
Massachusetts
United States
Member #37433
April 14, 2006
2747 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2013, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

That .05 could staff a telemarketing crew in Bangladesh so you guys never have to answer another call.

I would keep working but not for someone else. Might even open a small store so i could have my own lotto machine.

That .05 could staff a telemarketing crew in Bangladesh so you guys never have to answer another call.

hahaha you kill my ribs ahahaha

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Its a little selfish to hold on to a job that you don't need while out there are many people who are unemployed and who could do that job and support their families. Just another angle to consider o_O

sounds like he needs 6 weeks to complete his current project,

I sure as hell won't do that, the project i'm working on is going to take at least 12 months.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4799 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Its a little selfish to hold on to a job that you don't need while out there are many people who are unemployed and who could do that job and support their families. Just another angle to consider o_O

Now Mr. Maringo, if one competed against a lot of other people to get a job and you worked your way up and your name is on a special project or matter (it is your "baby"), I don't see why anyone would be expected to give up their job for others if they won the lottery. It is not that easy to hand over your "baby" to anyone and just leave it.

Spending money 24/7 is not going to fulfill ones intellectual needs. One needs to exercise their mind as well. I commend the winner for staying to at least finish out his project. He probably has institutional knowledege of the project that no one else has, so he is doing the unselfish thing.

J'aime La France.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Now Mr. Maringo, if one competed against a lot of other people to get a job and you worked your way up and your name is on a special project or matter (it is your "baby"), I don't see why anyone would be expected to give up their job for others if they won the lottery. It is not that easy to hand over your "baby" to anyone and just leave it.

Spending money 24/7 is not going to fulfill ones intellectual needs. One needs to exercise their mind as well. I commend the winner for staying to at least finish out his project. He probably has institutional knowledege of the project that no one else has, so he is doing the unselfish thing.

I Agree! Besides, vacating a position doesn't create a job. It merely transfers it to someone else.

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
          Member #103786
          January 5, 2011
          486 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

If you win that amount of money your main job is to double check your accountant/financial advisors and keep yourself in the loop.

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4799 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

If you win that amount of money your main job is to double check your accountant/financial advisors and keep yourself in the loop.

lol  That will be ONLY one of my jobs, even after a lottery win. I cannot imagine dropping my next book (in progress) and walking away....someone would have to pry it with a crowbar from my hand.

J'aime La France.

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4799 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Besides, vacating a position doesn't create a job. It merely transfers it to someone else.

Very good point Ronnie!

J'aime La France.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Very good point Ronnie!

Thanks, I was just sitting here thinking that one plants and another waters, but it's God who gives the increase. I was reluctant to post it though because I didn't want to stray off topic. Green laugh

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Studeis have shown that most Americans don't like their jobs, they are working merely for the paycheck. Most jobs are just something people have learned to do and once lesrned do it by rote over and over and over ad nauseam.

Studies have also shown that the most common time for a heart attack is on Monday mornings during the commute to work hours - people despise the thought of going back to their jobs so much tht their bodies actually shut down on them.

That being the case, I'd say unless someone was in a job they truly loved, stop working.

Short questionairre in a self help book:

Whatever you do for a living, do you like it so much that you'd do it without getting paid for it?

If you answered yes, good for you, but you're definitley in the minority.

If you answered no, well then, do you think you're going to live forever?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

Studeis have shown that most Americans don't like their jobs, they are working merely for the paycheck. Most jobs are just something people have learned to do and once lesrned do it by rote over and over and over ad nauseam.

Studies have also shown that the most common time for a heart attack is on Monday mornings during the commute to work hours - people despise the thought of going back to their jobs so much tht their bodies actually shut down on them.

That being the case, I'd say unless someone was in a job they truly loved, stop working.

Whatever you do for a living, do you like it so much that you'd do it without getting paid for it?

Not get paid? I have a feeling people would crap on me if I did my job without getting paid. Green laugh

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4799 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, I was just sitting here thinking that one plants and another waters, but it's God who gives the increase. I was reluctant to post it though because I didn't want to stray off topic. Green laugh

Chair   lol lol

J'aime La France.

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4799 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Not get paid? I have a feeling people would crap on me if I did my job without getting paid. Green laugh

yea no kidding....the unpaid intern.  Go get us coffee please.

J'aime La France.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

yea no kidding....the unpaid intern.  Go get us coffee please.

Green laugh Talk about a girl Friday? Boy would that job suck or what?

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4799 Posts
                            Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't agree about the no pay part. Fair wages for labor.  I am sure I and others would not stay forever, but it was more about leaving your work with things in order....not staying there forever. I would leave after a while since I know a couple of coworkers who are money obsessed and nosy would drive me crazy. But I would still do my own self employed career since I worked hard for it and I enjoy it. I would just pursue it at a more leisurely pace.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4799 Posts
                              Posted: February 15, 2013, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh Talk about a girl Friday? Boy would that job suck or what?

boy and girl fridays...lol    You do not see too much of that in more conservative type of jobs (accountants, law, etc) but it happens a lot in the creative industries (advertising, mags, etc.)

J'aime La France.