Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do family members or friends think you should stop playing the lottery?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people like myself have their family members or friends continue to tell you to stop playing the lottery. My daughter really thinks I'm obsessed with the lottery. Last weekend I wanted to buy one scratch ticket because we were in another town and she wouldn't let up, so I didn't buy one. I'm not buying lottery tickets daily but will fully admit that I buy PB, MM and occasionally Mass Cash tickets. I also buy scratch tickets but have cut down on my spending. My feeling has always been as long as my bills are paid and I have money for essentials then it should be my business if I want to play. I've mentioned many times that I started playing regularly almost 3 years ago but never let it get to the point of spending what I don't have on the lottery. I understand the meaning behind people like my daughter telling me not to play (she thinks I will never win and it's a total waste of money). Now I tell my daughter that if I win someday does that mean you do not want to benefit from the win, lol?

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40295 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

No, I don't think they care on way or the other, but, it is also not something I talk about either, none of their business really.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19743 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

No family, but i wish my friends would stop asking me for money Crying

Let it Snow Snowman

Original Bey's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg

Bahamas
        Member #133462
        September 30, 2012
        5946 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

No, I don't think they care on way or the other, but, it is also not something I talk about either, none of their business really.

I Agree!

Besides, you will have plenty of time to talk about the roller coaster ride of your lottery career when you take the family on vacation funded by your big jackpot win-fall!

"Everything works  ONCE!"

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi sully16,

I like your philisophy of not talking about it and feeling that it's noone's business. The cat's been out of the bag for quite sometime now so it gets hard to deal with at times.

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40295 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi sully16,

I like your philisophy of not talking about it and feeling that it's noone's business. The cat's been out of the bag for quite sometime now so it gets hard to deal with at times.

Make you next hobby, keeping secrets, LOL, Keep it hidden and just maybe you'll win more.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6290 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2013, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

Nope don't have that problem. Like sully said it's none of their beezwaxWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2013, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

No family, but i wish my friends would stop asking me for money Crying

Can I have some money? A large pile please. Wink

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2013, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if other people like myself have their family members or friends continue to tell you to stop playing the lottery. My daughter really thinks I'm obsessed with the lottery. Last weekend I wanted to buy one scratch ticket because we were in another town and she wouldn't let up, so I didn't buy one. I'm not buying lottery tickets daily but will fully admit that I buy PB, MM and occasionally Mass Cash tickets. I also buy scratch tickets but have cut down on my spending. My feeling has always been as long as my bills are paid and I have money for essentials then it should be my business if I want to play. I've mentioned many times that I started playing regularly almost 3 years ago but never let it get to the point of spending what I don't have on the lottery. I understand the meaning behind people like my daughter telling me not to play (she thinks I will never win and it's a total waste of money). Now I tell my daughter that if I win someday does that mean you do not want to benefit from the win, lol?

Mine were hoping I would by a few extra. But if your family members are telling you to stop perhaps you should?

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2013, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

That sherriff in Va. had the same problem with his daughter...of course he won and bought her a house....but yeah my oldest sister who in her old age has come to find God and think it's gambling by playing the lottery...I asked the same of her if I won did she not want any of the money?? She has still to answer me on that one LOL

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: March 27, 2013, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

That sherriff in Va. had the same problem with his daughter...of course he won and bought her a house....but yeah my oldest sister who in her old age has come to find God and think it's gambling by playing the lottery...I asked the same of her if I won did she not want any of the money?? She has still to answer me on that one LOL

She really doesn't need to "think" its gambling. It IS gambling. lol. lol. Yes Nod

United States
                        Member #130815
                        July 25, 2012
                        1636 Posts
                        Posted: March 27, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

She really doesn't need to "think" its gambling. It IS gambling. lol. lol. Yes Nod

LOL Ronnie it is gambling...but I ain't gonna stop buying those tickets...win...lose....or draw...LOL

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: March 27, 2013, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

got 1 who is a bit of a god freak. he disapproves, but as i run a family syndicte, he is too scared to pull out incase it wins and he is left out in the cold. My 3 other family members are cool with it, but one of them also thinks we will never win, but is in  just incase.

I did swear that if we won after  one dropped out  the others could share their part, but i wouldnt.

If we took a vote on stopping the pool , it would be 3 to 2 that we continue. its been many years, and the pools bank account is only about $450. thats $90 ea.  i guess i would have to pay them their share of the savings it has accumulated.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7295 Posts
                            Posted: March 27, 2013, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

There are probably $70 to $80 worth of losing tickets on my desk right now all dated from less than a week ago. Just based on that someone who didn't know I paid for those tickets from winnings on other tickets would probably think I lose over $300 a month playing the lottery and was a degenerate gambler. What my stack of losing tickets doesn't show is the $175 winning ticket I cashed yesterday.

I just bought $8 worth of tickets and had an instant $20 winner which I'll cash in tomorrow and if none of the other 3 tickets win anything, I'll have another $6 in losing tickets to add to my stack. If I buy 10 PB tickets tonight and win $100 on one of them, add another $18 in loses and nobody will know I won $82. Winning and losing and hopefully winning more than you lose is what lottery play and gambling in general is all about; good luck explaining that to a non-gambler.

"I understand the meaning behind people like my daughter telling me not to play (she thinks I will never win and it's a total waste of money). Now I tell my daughter that if I win someday does that mean you do not want to benefit from the win, lol?"

Your daughter means well; she just doesn't see it from your point of view. Even if you showed her a nice size winning ticket, from experience she'll probably tell you take your winnings and quit. Sully gave the best advice.

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #140684
                              March 24, 2013
                              566 Posts
                              Posted: March 27, 2013, 3:30 pm - IP Logged

No, I only live with my mum at the moment. When I ever get round to playing the Euromillions we usually just buy a ticket together or we buy ours at the same time. Life's too short to worry about extra money, why not spend a bit for that dream of becoming a millionaire over night.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2