Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do family members or friends think you should stop playing the lottery?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

see there mcginnin56 you can get it all here Love + Lottery+ the therapy you need Crazy

As I was telling hot slot just last evening, on his thread of largest amount won by an LP member. You're going to get lots of bumps and bruises

to earn that little blue bar.  Boxing  And I'm earning mine now, thanks to helpmewin!     Love

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: March 28, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

It's fine to play, but you have to make sure your priorities are right first. Bills, food. Then if you got some spare cash buy a few tickets, I'm sure you're fine.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2013, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Well I see I am hitting my head against a brick wall here.  Sadness and dejection over not winning the lottery is NOT A COMMON FEELING when one does not win. Good luck to you.  I think you have some serious issues but some people cannot be helped. I am done here.

Hi Artist77,

I don't now why you are being mean. I wouldn't say that to someone. I was bullied growing up and know feel like you are no better than those people.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4785 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2013, 8:42 am - IP Logged

Hi Artist77,

I don't now why you are being mean. I wouldn't say that to someone. I was bullied growing up and know feel like you are no better than those people.

No one is bulllying you. You are playing that victim mentality again (I feel like Dr. Phil). And as someone who gave you a lot of free advice and a plan (that others would have charged you for with far less experience than I have) when you pm'd me for alleged advice for your daughter on how to get a book deal (and let's be honest, I knew it was for you.... and all you did was try to fish for info on me), I still went ahead and gave you valuable info. Not too many people would have taken the high road as I did there.  I realize now you are just seeking attention but if you want to name call, I will call you on it. Again, good luck to you.

J'aime La France.

PipSqueek's avatar - winter
          Ohio
          United States
          Member #140280
          March 15, 2013
          179 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2013, 9:19 am - IP Logged

I think your question is valid shyguitar.

There are a lot of feelings positive and negative related to playing the lottery both for the player and for those close to him who this also affects.

It seems those feelings can be brought on by both winning and losing.

It is a choice to play or not to play so I guess you have to decide if it is worth the stress it brings you if it is bringing stress. You can always cut back or take a break for a while too if things aren't going well or if you have too much pressure on you about it.

Like everything else in life it all boils down to choices and coping I think.

For some those come easy and there are those of us who struggle more with both.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2013, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Hi Artist77,

I thank you for your concern.  The sadness and dejection you speak of by playing can be a common feeling when one doesn't win.  In terms of my speaking to a skilled professional I have tried therapy in the past for my depression/anxiety but never was able to make progress. Does playing the lottery make my depression worse, it's really hard to say. In some ways it's the one thing I seem to look forward to when I pick up a scratch ticket or play a draw game. I'm not expecting you to say that I will win someday. I'm fully aware that the odds are stacked against a big win (also I'm prone to bad luck in life as I stated in a previous post). When work and my personal life are getting me down, it brightens my day to have my little day dreams of what it would feel like to win something big. I've always been a realist so know that it really is nothing more than a pipe dream (but such a nice dream).

I get sadness and dejection when the fish don't bite. I'm almost tempted to bite the hook myself. BTW, if you want to write a book, all you need is a front cover, back cover, and one page.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: March 29, 2013, 10:09 am - IP Logged

just do your best to get the job at lotteries, You will make more money working there  in a year, than any of us here playing the lotto will.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: March 29, 2013, 10:31 am - IP Logged

No one is bulllying you. You are playing that victim mentality again (I feel like Dr. Phil). And as someone who gave you a lot of free advice and a plan (that others would have charged you for with far less experience than I have) when you pm'd me for alleged advice for your daughter on how to get a book deal (and let's be honest, I knew it was for you.... and all you did was try to fish for info on me), I still went ahead and gave you valuable info. Not too many people would have taken the high road as I did there.  I realize now you are just seeking attention but if you want to name call, I will call you on it. Again, good luck to you.

Hi Artist77,

First off I thanked you for your advice and see no reason why you would divulge a private message. I was not the one name calling. I was polite when I replied back to you after you said to me that I should seek professional help. If someone is sending me a private message I would not be telling others about it. First off I was telling the truth. Did I ever want to write a book, yes, years ago, but gave up on that when I realized that I didn't have the best grammar, and though I had good ideas, didn't have the initiative to move forward with it. I'm under no illusion of writing a novel and when I told you about my daughter wanting to be a writer, as her mom I wanted to ask people their opinions.  I am not seeking attention for myself. The last thing I want to do is to fight with anyone. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me.  I enjoy this forum and respect the viewpoints of everyone on here.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19752 Posts
                  Posted: March 29, 2013, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Then they are probably not your true friends.

you got that right!!

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                    Member #93947
                    July 10, 2010
                    2180 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2013, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

As I was telling hot slot just last evening, on his thread of largest amount won by an LP member. You're going to get lots of bumps and bruises

to earn that little blue bar.  Boxing  And I'm earning mine now, thanks to helpmewin!     Love

Hey McGinnin56,  Where did you disappear to?

I was enjoying your slug-fest! Smile

Are your requests for a rematch being rejected?

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: April 1, 2013, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Hey McGinnin56,  Where did you disappear to?

I was enjoying your slug-fest! Smile

Are your requests for a rematch being rejected?

Today is the day........ Its Jammy's Birthday. Happy April Fool day RocketMan. 

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19752 Posts
                        Posted: April 1, 2013, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
                          Member #93947
                          July 10, 2010
                          2180 Posts
                          Posted: April 1, 2013, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Ronnie.

Just think of all the fun you miss out on if you are living with a mundane, random type birth date not recognizable as a holiday.

But I'm sure you enjoy yours anyway.  Your BETTER ODDS ensure that, right?

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: April 1, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Ronnie.

Just think of all the fun you miss out on if you are living with a mundane, random type birth date not recognizable as a holiday.

But I'm sure you enjoy yours anyway.  Your BETTER ODDS ensure that, right?

YW, yes of course my ODDS of having a great Birthday are much BETTER. Thanks.